• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

dave_d

Ventrue said:
I got my 360 back in the mail from the repair centre last week and it was DOA. Had to send it back to them again.

Guess there's alot of that going around lately. (Mine wasn't totally dead but I figure it was a matter of time before it completely died.) Oh well, maybe this time they'll ship me an Opus.

dave_d

Miburou said:
Wait, mine (Arcade, bought last November but manufactured in 9/2007) has a 16.5A rating but the connector shown in the middle. So is it a Zephyr or a Falcon?!

It's a Falcon. a Zephyr won't run with a Falcon power supply and yours is keyed so it can accept it. (Apparently some of them are labelled funny that way but it's a Falcon.)

Well, my 360 died a couple of minutes ago: RROD. I was watching Burn Notice and decided to play some Viking afterwards. After a couple of crashes in Viking I had to restart and boom, there it was.

Does the towel trick really work to fix a RROD or should I just call MS?

Notorious_Roy said:
Well, my 360 died a couple of minutes ago: RROD. I was watching Burn Notice and decided to play some Viking afterwards. After a couple of crashes in Viking I had to restart and boom, there it was.

Does the towel trick really work to fix a RROD or should I just call MS?
Call MS or go to their website and print out a shipping label
The Towel trick is just a band aid.

I just got mine back (they replaced it), and it took a little over a week total.

jecclr2003 said:
Call MS or go to their website and print out a shipping label
The Towel trick is just a band aid.

I just got mine back (they replaced it), and it took a little over a week total.
Yeah, you're right. I've placed the repair order and now all I can do is wait. And read a book.

My second 360 just died. This time its my Elite. Any chance I get a Jasper back?

When I get a replacement how does the affect the warranty in terms of time, do I get a new 3 year or its still 3 years from date of purchase?

edit, didnt realize mine was a Zephyr. I hope I could at least get a falcon back.

2DMention

Banned
I think my 360 just RRoD'd it's a Halo model I bought 10/07. I haven't checked the power supply yet. I was playing Castle Crashers and then Pinball FX. When I turned it off, the 3 RR's lit up.

First I get semi-laid off, and now this. I doubt it will be ready by the time Star Ocean 4 comes out. :(

I've seen a local co. on Craigslist advertise that they fix RRoD. Has anybody tried anything like that?

2DMention said:
I've seen a local co. on Craigslist advertise that they fix RRoD. Has anybody tried anything like that?
I wouldn't. Most people who have fixed their own will tell you that it's generally temporary and only for out of warranty machines. Repair times are much better than they used to be on the whole and it's far better to keep your warranty intact even if it means a few weeks without the box.

Miburou

I tried the flashlight test when I first got it, but a weakass flashlight plus my astigmatisms meant that even after 10 minutes of squinting, I still wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Well, I borrowed a Falcon PSU (175W, 14.2A) and played Lost Odyssey for 2 hours straight with no crashing, so I guess I do have a Falcon that is mislabeled and comes with an overpowered power supply. Phew!

deduce

I just sent out my second 360. No red ring this time, just kept freezing during games. I hope I get a pro back this time. Last time I sent in my pro they sent me a core to replace it. I missed the chrome.

My first unit (from 2006) finally went kaput yesterday. We were just starting to defend the house at the end of a Left 4 Dead mission, and just as a smoker hit me the game froze. It continued freezing and artifacting when I tried to reset it, so I left it and tried again today. Now I get RRoD. So I guess you initiate repairs on their website now?

Liberty4all

Banned
My fourth 360 kicked the bucket today. My first one I bought at launch, since then I've averaged between six months to a year per 360.

Coffin's on the way.

It's fucking ridiculous really ... 5 360's in less than 4 years.

desa

360 Elite choked the bone last week. I kept getting E71 and E79 errors and the off chance that I do get it to load, it'll freeze randomly. My warranty expired four months ago and I don't have the three rings. Muthafuckin Microsoft. I'm just gonna try and force the three rings and send it in or sell it broken as is.

I picked up an arcade bundle from dell last week for 143 and it's a Jasper. Right off the bat I noticed it was significantly quieter even with the games running of the dvd drive. Playing it off the hard drive? You can barely hear it running. Even after long sessions it would only feel slightly warm. I hope you get your shit straight with this one microsoft.

2DMention

Banned
Well, I turned mine on this morning, and it booted up as usual with one green light. No red rings. That's weird that I got the 3 red rings last night when I turned it off. Is this a preview of future RRoD for me?

Has anybody had any problems with a Halo model yet?

desa said:
360 Elite choked the bone last week. I kept getting E71 and E79 errors and the off chance that I do get it to load, it'll freeze randomly. My warranty expired four months ago and I don't have the three rings. Muthafuckin Microsoft. I'm just gonna try and force the three rings and send it in or sell it broken as is.

I picked up an arcade bundle from dell last week for 143 and it's a Jasper. Right off the bat I noticed it was significantly quieter even with the games running of the dvd drive. Playing it off the hard drive? You can barely hear it running. Even after long sessions it would only feel slightly warm. I hope you get your shit straight with this one microsoft.

Dude, fuck them. I dont think they check for three rings. I think they just send a refurb on recipt. I would call them and tell them it has 3 rings.

Rektash

After 2 years my 360 just breathed its final breath. Bought and manufactured Jan 07. Just before the SF IV release - fuck you MS :-/.

deduce said:
I just sent out my second 360. No red ring this time, just kept freezing during games. I hope I get a pro back this time. Last time I sent in my pro they sent me a core to replace it. I missed the chrome.
You'll get a Core SKU back to replace the one you just sent in now.

You should have followed up with Xbox customer support as soon as you got the Core back from your first repair... you're entitled to get back whatever system you sent in.

You can probably still call in and escalate to get a Pro back due to the mixup from your first repair... however, the fact that your current console is already en route back to the service center could mean that they won't be able to get a switch to a Pro approved for you prior to another Core being sent back out to you.

jhferry said:
So does the warranty reset on the refurb or not? Or does it continue from date of purchase?
3RL coverage never resets... you have 3 years from the purchase date of your original console.

As for what does reset following a repair/exchange, you'll get 90 days of coverage on any failure... or 1 year if it's a paid repair.
That resets effective the day the console is shipped back out to you (unless your existing warranty is already longer than that).

2DMention

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
And people keep buying these things? Shittiest built console ever!

Launch PS2 and NES say "hi."

I've got another problem now. My battery pack won't charge. The controller has to be plugged into the charge cord to work. When I unplug the charge cord, the controller turns off. This is the 2nd battery pack that has done this. I should just buy a damn wired controller. Am I doing something wrong?

deduce

B-Rad Lascelle said:
You'll get a Core SKU back to replace the one you just sent in now.

You should have followed up with Xbox customer support as soon as you got the Core back from your first repair... you're entitled to get back whatever system you sent in.

You can probably still call in and escalate to get a Pro back due to the mixup from your first repair... however, the fact that your current console is already en route back to the service center could mean that they won't be able to get a switch to a Pro approved for you prior to another Core being sent back out to you.
It was still listed as a Pro refurb on my warranty page so I didn't bother to call right away. I just needed something to play Left4Dead. If I get another Core back I'll just give a call and have it straightened out.

Un4

My second one died a few minutes ago. Thank god it's showing showing me a RROD so the warranty still covers it.

My second one is giving me problems now.

1st one had the one red light of death. E74. It wasn't the cable either.

2nd one decided to give me issues with the DVD player. Everytime I put in a game, I hear a grind and then it doesn't read it. It just says "Open Tray" If I do it enough times it'll eventually read the game and play it without any problems at all. WTF?

NYR

Un4 said:
My second one died a few minutes ago. Thank god it's showing showing me a RROD so the warranty still covers it.
It's not like they check, so even if it is any issue, you can say RROD and they will send you a new one.

And they totally deserved to be scammed like that for putting such a faulty product out there.

Anywho, called in and requested a coffin - will be here in 3-5 business days. I better have a 360 by the time the Lost and Damned DLC comes out or I'll be hella-pissed.

hyduK

Banned
Quick question guys...I went to check the status of my repair today but couldn't (the button wasn't there). The description of my console was changed to: Xbox 360 Rtrn/Refurb Pro, the warranty was also renewed for a year. I'm assuming the repair is done but I haven't got any emails, do they usually ship it out as soon as it's done?

You know, If MS would stop alienating people who have already been through this. They should send you back a newer revision. I mean, If they send you anything other than a Jasper then sooner or later its going to die again.

hyduK

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Question: When you get the refurb unit, does the warranty get extended?
Yep, my standard warranty was refreshed for a year, and I'm guessng I get another 3 years on my RROD warrant =D.

hyduK said:
Yep, my standard warranty was refreshed for a year, and I'm guessng I get another 3 years on my RROD warrant =D.
My first system, when returned, was refreshed for a year (April 08 refurb, the warranty now says April 09), however, for my recent refurb, this did not change. I'm wondering if they screwed up somewhere (my DLC content still doesn't work offline, not to mention the shitty return that I got).

Miburou

2DMention said:
Launch PS2 and NES say "hi."

I've got another problem now. My battery pack won't charge. The controller has to be plugged into the charge cord to work. When I unplug the charge cord, the controller turns off. This is the 2nd battery pack that has done this. I should just buy a damn wired controller. Am I doing something wrong?

I've had the same problem, and ended up throwing away the battery pack and buying some rechargeable AA batteries.

jhferry said:
You know, If MS would stop alienating people who have already been through this. They should send you back a newer revision. I mean, If they send you anything other than a Jasper then sooner or later its going to die again.
I think the plan is that eventually, the warranty will run out, and you'll end up buying another one.

Well my 360 died for a third time.

It really is amazing. It has managed to die 1-3 months outside of warranty like clockwork. I told the nice Japanese lady that there was no way I was paying to get it fixed for a third time and she just apologized for like 10 minutes straight.

Dunno what I will do but I guess I can try the towel trick later.

Fuck these horrible machines :(

hyduK said:

And I don't think they add 3 years to the RROD but i might be wrong. This time it RRoD'd on me and they said it was still 3 years from the day it was bought.

jhferry said:
That's kind of the reason they introduced the Opus motherboard. You get to enjoy the stability of a Falcon-type mobo without adding any additional features & functionality (that would inevitably prompt everyone and their uncle to send in their systems for free HDMI upgrades).

My xbox died for the 4th time. It started making an awful noise at startup and then stopped reading discs entirely. I was told by xbox support that they were "incredibly sorry" and were going to expedite me a box to get it sent back. Its been a week and nothing. They also said they were going to give me free xbox live for a year... Turns out they refunded my xbox live and downgraded me to silver, so I couldn't download the RE5 demo while I wait for this damn box. I'm going to tape paper around it and mail it to them after I get the address from them. It can't get anymore broken.

hyduK said:
Quick question guys...I went to check the status of my repair today but couldn't (the button wasn't there). The description of my console was changed to: Xbox 360 Rtrn/Refurb Pro, the warranty was also renewed for a year. I'm assuming the repair is done but I haven't got any emails, do they usually ship it out as soon as it's done?
Your console shipped out yesterday and is presently in the hands of Purolator. You should have it tomorrow. Feel free to call in to 1-800-4MYXBOX for your tracking number.

The Canadian SCV is a little slow to send out E-Mails... chances are you won't get one until after your console has already arrived.

And no, you won't have an additional 3 years of 3RL coverage... that still falls back on your original console purchase date.

brokenwatch said:
My xbox died for the 4th time. It started making an awful noise at startup and then stopped reading discs entirely. I was told by xbox support that they were "incredibly sorry" and were going to expedite me a box to get it sent back. Its been a week and nothing. They also said they were going to give me free xbox live for a year... Turns out they refunded my xbox live and downgraded me to silver, so I couldn't download the RE5 demo while I wait for this damn box. I'm going to tape paper around it and mail it to them after I get the address from them. It can't get anymore broken.
I'd check in with FedEx. They attempted to deliver your shipping box yesterday without success. May want to give them a call so you can grab it tomorrow.

AlphaTwo00 said:
My first system, when returned, was refreshed for a year (April 08 refurb, the warranty now says April 09), however, for my recent refurb, this did not change. I'm wondering if they screwed up somewhere (my DLC content still doesn't work offline, not to mention the shitty return that I got).
Warranties only "refresh" if the warranty following your repair would run beyond your existing warranty window. In this case, your existing 1-year warranty from your previous PAID repair ran beyond the 90-day warranty window furnished for non-paid repairs... hence your existing warranty still held.

As for your DRM issues, you should call in to 1-800-4MYXBOX if the DRM Tool on Xbox.com isn't working out for you. They'll get that fixed up in a jiffy.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Warranties only "refresh" if the warranty following your repair would run beyond your existing warranty window. In this case, your existing 1-year warranty from your previous PAID repair ran beyond the 90-day warranty window furnished for non-paid repairs... hence your existing warranty still held.

As for your DRM issues, you should call in to 1-800-4MYXBOX if the DRM Tool on Xbox.com isn't working out for you. They'll get that fixed up in a jiffy.
Hmm. That doesn't sound right:
360 Elite Bought September 07 - Warranty Goes to September 08
Dies March 08, refurb arrives April 08 - Warranty extended to April 09
Refurb dies October 08, refurb arrives Dec 08 - Warranty not extended?

How is the first one different than the second one? Both are within their warranty, no?

I've tried calling their line before, I've gotten the runaround twice, where the operator has questioned whether I had downloaded it again, and had suggested for me to delete the content and redownload it. I don't have times for things like this.

Mooreberg

My system died last Monday. It was under store warranty with Microcenter so the result was pretty good - gift card in the amount of the purchase. Got an Arcade unit that comes with the free games and still have $50 left on the gift card. Also kept my headset, hard drive, and component cables. Should have held onto the old controller as well.

I guess the eventual system death number two will be the first time I have deal with Microsoft itself since the old warranty is null and void now, and this was essentially a new system purchase.

Are they still doing the HDD with Live for $29.99 for arcade purchases?

AlphaTwo00 said:
Hmm. That doesn't sound right:
360 Elite Bought September 07 - Warranty Goes to September 08
Dies March 08, refurb arrives April 08 - Warranty extended to April 09
Refurb dies October 08, refurb arrives Dec 08 - Warranty not extended?

How is the first one different than the second one? Both are within their warranty, no?
Sounds like you caught a break on that first repair. Your warranty should have remained in place through September 08 instead of being extended. That happens from time to time but usually there's no follow up if it's an error in favor of the customer. Good thing too as you would have been "out of warranty" when your system failed in October.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I've tried calling their line before, I've gotten the runaround twice, where the operator has questioned whether I had downloaded it again, and had suggested for me to delete the content and redownload it. I don't have times for things like this.
Unfortunately that's the process. Even a change via the DRM Tool may require redownloading certain DLC items.

Mooreberg said:
Are they still doing the HDD with Live for $29.99 for arcade purchases?
That promotion wrapped up at the end of last month.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Sounds like you caught a break on that first repair. Your warranty should have remained in place through September 08 instead of being extended. That happens from time to time but usually there's no follow up if it's an error in favor of the customer. Good thing too as you would have been "out of warranty" when your system failed in October.

Unfortunately that's the process. Even a change via the DRM Tool may require redownloading certain DLC items.
Ah. Well, the October fail was 3RoD, so it would have been the same. I've tried following their instructions, and it has not worked, both deleting and redownloading the files.

So, MS does offer extended paid warranties, right? Is it even worth it?

Ryuuga

Banned
Well, my second US 360 kicked then can. It had a system failure (E74). It's way out of warranty and it'll only cost something like $107 CDN to repair, but I figure I'll just save the HDD and pick up a Jasper.

Ryuuga said:
Well, my second US 360 kicked then can. It had a system failure (E74). It's way out of warranty and it'll only cost something like $107 CDN to repair, but I figure I'll just save the HDD and pick up a Jasper.
Thanks for answer my next question. Did you just tell them it's an E74? You're out of the 3RL coverage?

dave_d

B-Rad Lascelle said:
That's kind of the reason they introduced the Opus motherboard. You get to enjoy the stability of a Falcon-type mobo without adding any additional features & functionality (that would inevitably prompt everyone and their uncle to send in their systems for free HDMI upgrades).

I'm still curious why they even bother with non-Opus Xenon replacements at this point. (Since the broken one they sent me was a Xenon.) Actually has anyone on this board sent in a Xenon and gotten an Opus back?

Top Bottom