• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

Aeana said:
That's actually better than I expected for 7th Dragon. I remember reading that one of the retailer guys who posts on 2ch said Sega was expecting around 150k for it in the end, though... I hope it ends up selling more so they don't see it as a failure! :(

Game is sooo good.
Should do just a bit over 150k if it has EO2 type of legs.

cvxfreak

neojubei said:
:lol

Code:
First Day Sales (03/05)

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 222k
[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 56k

Anyone thinks that RE5 will sell a combined 400,000 in its first week?

Don't think it will. Maybe 350K.

Still, it'll probably turn out lower than RE4, but that one had three versions and took nearly four years to sell 1 Million units; RE5 only has only two versions and probably won't have nearly the same amount of legs.

f@luS

More than a member.
good for re5, PS3 will sell pretty good next week too then.

it just shows ps3 can still make it in japan , with good games. FFXIII will sell a shitload of ps3 thats for sure .

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
f@luS said:

it just shows ps3 can still make it in japan , with good games. FFXIII will sell a shitload of ps3 thats for sure .

Yea, seems people in Japan really want the PS3 version of games, Square and Namco should stop denying them of it. FF13 will most likely cement PS3 as the top HD system in Japan.

f@luS said:

2010 year of the ps3 confirmed

RpgN

f@luS said:

It makes me wonder wether Nintendo screwed their chance now or if it's a temporarily bad performance. Usually Japan is the first with trends when it comes to Nintendo. The ds/wii and the new non-game software became popular in Japan first and then the rest followed. It seems the wii's success is stronger than ever in the US, much better than Japan has been. So maybe the US won't follow this trend later. And then you raise the question wether the ps3 still has a chance in Japan...We're playing with fire and nothing is certain.

f@luS said:

A price drop and some sort of PS2 BC software emulation would surely help as well.

An unrelated question, but I just thought about it, is the PSP the first 2nd place system in Japan to sell more than 10 million units?

deepbrown said:
Cool, so more than RE5 on PS3. SO combined - RE5 could quite easily get to 400k.

Maybe, but 360 games also tend to have way shorter legs.

RpgN

deepbrown said:
Cool, so more than RE5 on PS3. SO combined - RE5 could quite easily get to 400k.

Yakuza games have legs, you can't be sure about RES games. I hope for the best of course. The first day sales are certainly impressive and healthy.

u_neek

f@luS said:
yeah, I don't see why FXIII shouldn't at least be able to match FFX-2's number.

gogogow

deepbrown said:
I think it's very likely.
PS3 version should easily do somewhere between 320k-340k and 360 version around 70k-80k.
But people seems to be having really low expections.

RpgN

u_neek said:
yeah, I don't see why FXIII shouldn't at least be able to match FFX-2's number.

It's impossible with the total userbase of 2 million now. Maybe when it grows some more. I can see a 750k-1000k more likely for now. Maybe that FFVIIACC+Demo will do wonders.

u_neek

AranhaHunter said:
Which was what?
~1.9m

RpgN said:
It's impossible with the total userbase of 2 million now. Maybe when it grows some more. I can see a 750k-1000k more likely for now. Maybe that FFVIIACC+Demo will do wonders.
Isn't the PS3 close to 3m?

How many PS2's were sold in Japan when FFX was released?

RpgN

^
Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I was thinking it was 2 million, it's almost 3. Sorry :p But it's still quite a task.
AranhaHunter said:
Which was what?

About 2 million excluding international version and best re-releases...

deepbrown

RpgN said:
Yakuza games have legs, you can't be sure about RES games. I hope for the best of course. The first day sales are certainly impressive and healthy.
I don't know why, but I have visions of game boxes running around Tokyo with their legs.

RpgN

^
XD Lol, I would like to see those legs!
u_neek said:
How many PS2's were sold in Japan when FFX was released?

I don't know the numbers but FFX was released 13-15 months after the ps2 was released. The brand was so strong and not whored out then. It's still strong now but not quite as strong as before. Who knows how FFXIII will perform in this age and time?

max-pain

AranhaHunter said:
An unrelated question, but I just thought about it, is the PSP the first 2nd place system in Japan to sell more than 10 million units?

It's the first 2nd place system in Japan to sell more than 6 million.

test_account

XP-39C²
RpgN said:
I don't know the numbers but FFX was released 13-15 months after the ps2 was released. The brand was so strong and not whored out then. It's still strong now but not quite as strong as before. Who knows how FFXIII will perform in this age and time?
If i am checking the correct week at Garaph.info, then the PS2 had an installbase of 4,574,562 when FFX was released (2001-07-16). This number also includes the hardware numbers from the first week of sales of FFX if i am not mistaken. FFX sold 1,749,737 copies in the first week of sales.

If FFXIII comes out in winter 2009, maybe the PS3 can have a installbase of something around 4 millon, or relatively close to it? I guess it depends on if the PS3 will get a price drop before or when FFXIII gets released. Comparing this the FFX software and the PS2 hardware numbers, maybe FFXIII can sell over 1 million copies in it's first week of sales, if the first shipment is that big at least. I think it should be interesting to see :)

RpgN said:
^
XD Lol, I would like to see those legs!

I think this gen shows us that franchises sell huge despite install bases, ie Yakuza and Resi 5 outselling predecessors on smaller install bases (First Day numbers, correct if im wrong). I think FFXIII will sell at least 1.5 million, and the PS3 should be well over 3 million units by then anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
neojubei said:
Yea, seems people in Japan really want the PS3 version of games, Square and Namco should stop denying them of it. FF13 will most likely cement PS3 as the top HD system in Japan.

it's okay, even after square goes ps3 exclusive in mid-2009 you'll still find other things to play on your 360. don't worry!!!

markatisu

RpgN said:
It makes me wonder wether Nintendo screwed their chance now or if it's a temporarily bad performance. Usually Japan is the first with trends when it comes to Nintendo. The ds/wii and the new non-game software became popular in Japan first and then the rest followed. It seems the wii's success is stronger than ever in the US, much better than Japan has been. So maybe the US won't follow this trend later. And then you raise the question wether the ps3 still has a chance in Japan...We're playing with fire and nothing is certain.

We will know by May if there is actual momentum, right now all this is showing is the PS3 can succeed only when super highly budgeted games come out. Its the MGS4 effect just we had multiple big games come out in succession

After FFXIII Demo hits are we just going to drop like a rock once again?

Spiegel

bttb said:
Dengeki Sales: 02/23 - 03/01
Dengeki Software Totals
Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD
NDS      |    [B]371,265[/B] |    344,012 |  4,646,170
Wii      |    155,009 |    105,892 |  [B]2,060,070[/B]
PS3      |    [B]386,911[/B] |     87,950 |  [B]1,543,156[/B]
PS2      |     97,473 |    100,609 |  1,065,807
PSP      |    [B]368,778[/B] |    251,868 |  [B]2,439,901[/B]
X360     |     77,536 |    215,812 |    603,583
Total    |  1,456,972 |  1,106,143 | 12,358,687

Great software sales for DS, PSP and PS3 (or should I say Yakuza 3?)

It would be interesting to see the change of software sales comparing last year with this year. I bet Wii is significantly down and PSP and PS3? up

Banned
RpgN said:

Depends on what you mean by has a chance? It is not going to outsell the Wii LTD if that is what you mean.

neojubei

Stumpokapow said:
it's okay, even after square goes ps3 exclusive in mid-2009 you'll still find other things to play on your 360. don't worry!!!

I'm not worrying as long as I know Mass Effect 2 is in production by Bioware. :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:
If FFXIII comes out in winter 2009, maybe the PS3 can have a installbase of something around 4 millon, or relatively close to it?

I don't know about that- its not even to 3M yet and we're into March. It would have to sell over a million units in 9-10 months when last year I don't believe it broke a million for the year (and most of 2009 its trended below 2008).

PS3 surely has great momentum, to keep this trend Sony should make a price drop, maybe just in time for Golden Week / FF13 demo release.
At this point things could become a little complicated for Wii and its weak line-up (especially if Wii Sport Resort will be released in June and not earlier).

farnham

Banned
i bet nintendo is not happy with the results

but saying that nintendo lost its chance in japan because of a temporary sales hike of 360 and PS3 (outselling the wii for about 10k) is over exaggeration..

lets not forget that the wii has about 8 million wiis sold in japan while the PS3 has 3 and the 360 has about 1 million units sold...

but nintendo needs to pick up some steam again thats for sure

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
PS3 surely has great momentum, to keep this trend Sony should make a price drop, maybe just in time for Golden Week / FF13 demo release.
At this point things could become a little complicated for Wii and its weak line-up (especially if Wii Sport Resort will be released in June and not earlier).

I don't really see where PS3 has all this great momentum. It's had two very high profile franchises in a row sell very well (admittedly higher than I thought), but what is there to maintain that momentum?

neojubei

Moor-Angol said:

A price drop on golden week would be a smart idea, too bad Sony won't do it, probably.

farnham said:
i bet nintendo is not happy with the results

but saying that nintendo lost its chance in japan because of a temporary sales hike of 360 and PS3 (outselling the wii for about 10k) is over exaggeration..

lets not forget that the wii has about 8 million wiis sold in japan while the PS3 has 3 and the 360 has about 1 million units sold...

but nintendo needs to pick up some steam again thats for sure

Welll looking at past Nintendo releases i am sure they have a couple of titles ready to try to pick up the pace

schuelma said:
I don't really see where PS3 has all this great momentum. It's had two very high profile franchises in a row sell very well (admittedly higher than I thought), but what is there to maintain that momentum?

as i said, if they want to keep momentum (PS3 sold more than Wii in February and probably it will happen in March too), they should do something after GW, DW5empires arrives at the end of May.
Street Fighter IV didn't have legs, but if RRG3 and RE5 will have, they can keep PS3 sales around 25-30k every week, add Orochi Z and FF13 demo and you can see the "great PS3 momentum" is not set to last for a couple of days.

We don't know neither PS3 nor Wii line-up, but seems like Nintendo is not planning anything before this summer (they still have to release Metroid 2 and Chibi Robo wiimake), too much time if your competitor is trying to raise up his head... let's talk clearly, even if you are the market leader, you can't keep your system selling for 4 months with low bugdet and price old releases.

markatisu

schuelma said:

Exactly, its just like when the 360 had its swing for a few weeks due to some high profile games

If for example Monster Hunter G comes out and moves units is that a sign the momentum is back with Wii, no it just means that like with all the home consoles (PSP and DS hardware seem to move regardless of games) it swung up because of a game.

If the PS3 returns to its normal levels under Wii and above 360 how is that momentum besides the fact the games that cost a shitload to make sold through proplerly?

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
Street Fighter IV didn't have legs, but if RRG3 and RE5 will have, they can keep PS3 sales around 25-30k every week, add Orochi Z and FF13 demo and you can see the "great PS3 momentum" is not set to last for a couple of days.

PS3 sales were 35K after RRG3...you seriously expect sales to maintain near that level, when every single other high profile release including MGS4 failed to do that?

Perdew

neojubei said:
A price drop on golden week would be a smart idea, too bad Sony won't do it, probably.

What do you think would be more effective?:

A) Sony dropping PS3's price on golden week
B) Nintendo Releasing 4 new Wii Colors out of nowhere on golden week

schuelma

neojubei said:
I think the Wii numbers might go back up with the release of Monster Hunter.

MHG? Maybe a bit, and it will also be near Golden Week, but I doubt it will have that much of an effect for basically a demo.

I think Wii Sports Resort (with maybe Nintendo being agressive and packing it in to the hardware) could spur some sort of rebound.

markatisu

schuelma said:
MHG? Maybe a bit, and it will also be near Golden Week, but I doubt it will have that much of an effect for basically a demo.

I think Wii Sports Resort (with maybe Nintendo being agressive and packing it in to the hardware) could spur some sort of rebound.

Although if the economy is still as bad what difference does it make if you are selling 25k consistently or 35k, it becomes more a moral victory if hardware sales continue to stay low across the board

Rolf NB

Perdew said:

Price drop, by a big margin.

Spiegel

PS3 never had a problem selling games (imo) but those games selling well didn't change the poor hardware sales.

Without a good stream of games coming every month and a price drop Ps3 is not going to sell >10/15k per week. And that's a shame

neojubei

Perdew said:

There is one constant that can boost hardware sales in Japan and that is new colors of the same hardware. So yea a price drop for Sony could move consoles, but new colors of the Wii will put it at the top of the sales chart.

schuelma said:
PS3 sales were 35K after RRG3...you seriously expect sales to maintain near that level, when every single other high profile release including MGS4 failed to do that?
it might happen, February is one of the slowest week for sales and remember that japanese people buy games when there are games to be bought.

in the past we had 1 big title for PS3 and nothing else for weeks, in March PS3 has 2 big titles on the shelves : Yakuza 3, RE5 (and Musou Orochi Z coming soon, there are also minor releases, but not so important for moving hardware).

Wii has nothing, i mean, Nintendo games move hardware and incoming games from Nintendo (actually) are 2 Gamecube rereleases...

comparing this situation with occasionally 360 momentums is basically wrong, 360 has major hits 3-4 times every year...

of course i might be wrong :)

gantz85

Banned
neojubei said:
There is one constant that can boost hardware sales in Japan and that is new colors of the same hardware. So yea a price drop for Sony could move consoles, but new
colors of the Wii will put it at the top of the sales chart.

By that logic, couldn't Sony release new colors of the PS3 simultaneously along with a price drop to counter counter Nintendo's move? :lol

Top Bottom