• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

Exile20

In conjunction with paid DLC characters, though? This $60 game has $15 and $5 characters, and now $5 and $7 skin packs.
For the record, I already caved (I'm weak) because I managed to get a good deal on the Monster Race edition, but I still think the DLC pricing is outrageous.

Wow, I can't believe I am seeing this.

I caved in when I was able to buy PC Monster Race edition for $72. The only reason that I bought it was that I did have fun during the beta and I'm glad that there is a decent bot mode because my son was begging me to buy the darn game. *Sigh* I know....I'm weak as well. At least, I didn't spend $100 on the game.

Orca

Where did this 'respect your money' bullshit come from? You don't have to buy any of the new characters, and you don't even get sectioned out of the player pool for not having them like you do in other games. Hell, if you want to talk about 'respecting your money' isn't having all the new maps be free doing just that?

There's a decent mix of characters that each play differently in the base game, even if you have to actually play the game to unlock some of them. If that's worth complaining about, then 'gamers' really are dead like all the articles claimed a while back.

Ravijn

I caved in when I was able to buy PC Monster Race edition for $72. The only reason that I bought it was that I did have fun during the beta and I'm glad that there is a decent bot mode because my son was begging me to buy the darn game. *Sigh* I know....I'm weak as well. At least, I didn't spend $100 on the game.

I did the same thing. :)

Edit - And I got Starbound on sale also.

For all the content you get, $72 is pretty good in comparison to buying the main game. Shouldn't feel bad or weak about that at all if you wanted the game.

Unless for some reason there's a problem now in buying CEs that offer future DLC over space-wasting paper weights lol

The new tutorials at the start of the game are really helpful.

The fact that the game still doesn't like me having my Xbox 360 controller plugged in while using mouse and keyboard however is not cool though. My cursor vanished on the main menu, and wouldn't come back until I restarted the game. No option to turn off Xbox 360 controller in-game, so I have to leave it unplugged just to play this.

Edit: I can't get the game to sign me in on the Android Application. Keeps telling me my credentials are invalid. That's awesome.

Azull

Uh....I completely forgot about this game and assumed that it was coming out in spring.
0drDYKC.jpg
Apparently not.

Bestbuy screwed up with the cancelling of my order and still sent it to me. Think I'm gonna return it though just because of the DLC pricing, it's absurdly high. Oh and the real Monster Hunter is coming out this friday so...

Uh....I completely forgot about this game and assumed that it was coming out in spring.

Apparently not.

Bestbuy screwed up with the cancelling of my order and still sent it to me. Think I'm gonna return it though just because of the DLC pricing, it's absurdly high. Oh and the real Monster Hunter is coming out this friday so...
The season pass is $24.99.

The season pass for a CoD game is $49.99.

I don't understand...

Servbot24

Banned
Where did this 'respect your money' bullshit come from? You don't have to buy any of the new characters, and you don't even get sectioned out of the player pool for not having them like you do in other games. Hell, if you want to talk about 'respecting your money' isn't having all the new maps be free doing just that?

"free new DLC" only sounds good until you realize it should have been part of the basic package to begin with.

If it's not worth $60, then I hope it's worth $25 after my dying light trade in and coupon. My buddy and I need another coop game to play, and I hope this is decent enough to keep us entertained until bloodB and anything else coming down the line

So I forgot to cancel my pre-order from Amazon. Got an email telling me I've paid for it and it's in the post now. :[

Goddamnit,

Haters gonna hate. And players are gonna play!

Got the PC Monster Race version from GMG for 25% off. And already all preloaded on steam!

The way I see it is at least they have been upfront about all DLC. Some is free, and some is paid. People don't lambaste CoD or Battlefield this badly.

Honestly id rather them put it all out on the table and say they are supporting Evolve for 1-3 years with fixes and DLC. Instead of 80% of the team moving onto Evolve 2 which will come out in 18 months and we won't see any evolution (no real pun intended) in the main game.

This shows that Turtle Rock will hopefully perfect the Evolve Experience like they did with L4D long before a sequal is planned.

Also looking for a few more steam players to add to try to have a full group so please PM me your steam names'

Somnia

"free new DLC" only sounds good until you realize it should have been part of the basic package to begin with.

So the fact the new monsters and hunters which cost didn't start development till after the game was done? The new maps and modes which will be free also didn't start development till post completion of the game doesn't count?

Did they come up with ideas for these? Yes, but that's true for every game ever.

And what makes you feel that any of this DLC or what proof do you have that any of this should be basic content?

We are getting 12 unique hunters and 3 very unique monsters at release. Since this is the first game of its type how to you judge this content as not being enough for your basic purchase?

Edit: preordering the title gets you 4 unique monsters.

What game that is similar to this allows you to be so entitled?

This is pretty much my thinking. I mean come on as much as we get disappointed and like to harp on games, I haven't played a game in a long time that was 5/10 bad. Think about that as meaning "half satisfactory". I have played quality games that I didn't like that were personally 5/10s, but I can't really be that personal when I'm trying to make an evaluation for others to see right?

I've played a lot of entertaining games that I would recommend but rate as 7/10 in terms of their overall quality. Even 6/10s have entertained me quite a bit.

I use the scale I grew up with:

100% = Nearly flawless, a masterpiece
90% = Exceptional
80% = Very good
70% = Good
60% = Decent
50% = Passable/Mediocre

80%-100% = A
50%-59% = D

Makes good sense

And what makes you feel that any of this DLC or what proof do you have that any of this should be basic content?

We are getting 12 unique hunters and 3 very unique monsters at release. Since this is the first game of its type how to you judge this content as not being enough for your basic purchase?

Edit: preordering the title gets you 4 unique monsters.

What game that is similar to this allows you to be so entitled?

L4D?
L4D2?

Gamezone

Gold Member

Apparently not.

They don`t force you to buy the DLC. You can still have a ton of fun from the box.

Kathian

Banned
Haters gonna hate. And players are gonna play!

Got the PC Monster Race version from GMG for 25% off. And already all preloaded on steam!

The way I see it is at least they have been upfront about all DLC. Some is free, and some is paid. People don't lambaste CoD or Battlefield this badly.

Honestly id rather them put it all out on the table and say they are supporting Evolve for 1-3 years with fixes and DLC. Instead of 80% of the team moving onto Evolve 2 which will come out in 18 months and we won't see any evolution (no real pun intended) in the main game.

This shows that Turtle Rock will hopefully perfect the Evolve Experience like they did with L4D long before a sequal is planned.

Also looking for a few more steam players to add to try to have a full group so please PM me your steam names'

Issue I have with this is that heavily preprepared DLC does not strike me as a good sign for on going support.

stevivor

Didn't want to post this as a new thread (not that I could), as I wasn't sure it warranted it.

I'm of the belief that Evolve progress on Xbox One resets when moving between consoles.

I've replicated the issue across my three Xboxes numerous times tonight. I've identified the situation and the conditions that I've replicated here: http://stevivor.com/2015/02/evolve-progress-xbox-one-may-reset-switching-multiple-consoles/

There's also a video summarising the issue in the attached post that's currently uploading to YouTube.

Is there anyone else with multiple Xbox Ones that can confirm this issue?

Thanks!

Demon Ice

Banned
Via Jason Schreier

B9bLaCoCUAAhvG5.png

Fuckin hell. I was so excited for this game too. Guess I'm waiting til it goes on sale / can be found used for cheap. $60 for a game that's chopped up into DLC like this is utter madness, I'm amazed so many on GAF are defending this.

Sorry Turtle Rock, I absolutely love the concept of Evolve but 2K fucked you guys with this DLC set up. Damn shame.

Demon Ice

Banned
seriously....Ive watched so much gameplay of this game in the last two days, it looks like fun but holy hell, I dont think I can support such total bullshit.

This is my exact quandry. Game looks fun as hell. I love asymmetric multiplayer, I love games that require coordination and teamwork...but I refuse to drop $60 on a base game that contains *maybe* $40 of content. Evolve's DLC pricing is actually offering less content per dollar than Destiny's, and that's frankly impressive.

People are just slamming it for the DLC practices and not really because of the game itself it.

Good. It deserves 100% to be slammed for the DLC practices.

IzzyF3

I haven't read everything on the DLC on the game. I hear the maps will be free, and a lot of the DLC is cosmetic. Doesn't sound bad to me. Can someone give me the jist of why Evolve DLC has been so controversial?

Legitimate question. I've been thinking more about it and, why are people prepared to pay full price for single player games that last 7-10 hours of gameplay and nothing extra, but not Evolve?

I lambasted it earlier in the thread, but I have the game and I can see myself getting a hell of a lot of time out of it, and so far today I've only been playing as 2-3 characters, and only fought the Goliath. The fact that I'm going to drop £40 on The Order next week which offers nothing else (as far as we know) outside of a linear 8-12 hour campaign put things into perspective for me.

While I don't necessarily think 2K is in the right with this fiasco, I do believe that a lot of gamers are exaggerating the situation by several magnitudes. Especially when all of the maps will be free going forward.

Rafterman

Banned
The gamer in me wants to jump all over this game, it looks like so much fun. The person who is sick of being taken advantage of by publishers and developers thinks Evolve is some of the most in your face "we know you can't resist, so we're bending you over and you'll like it" type shit I've seen in recent memory. I think I'm going to hold off until I can get the entire package for cheap, if anyone is still playing, or I just won't get it at all. I just can't reward fuckery like this anymore. The fact that there are people defending this shit is proof that it won't ever stop and that gamers are more concerned with their fix than being treated fairly.

TomShoe

Banned
I haven't read everything on the DLC on the game. I hear the maps will be free, and a lot of the DLC is cosmetic. Doesn't sound bad to me. Can someone give me the jist of why Evolve DLC has been so controversial?

LFO1s9C.png

Not nearly as bad as Watch Dogs, but still off-putting, given all the complexity there is to actually getting the game. Why does PC, of all things, have a monster race edition that gets everything? Console players have to pay once up front, and then another season pass, and then another pass to get whatever's left! If I'm going to pay for DLC, I want the pricing simple. I shouldn't have to pay more than once upfront to get everything the game has to offer, both now and in the future.

$X for hunters
$Y for monsters
$Z for everything

That and the general lack of content feels like the game is designed to sell you DLC. Not to mention all the timed exclusive content and pre-order bonus crap.

WarpathDC

Much much better as far as optimization goes than the beta. I was stuttering on HQ/VHQ now it's a solid 60fps on my mid range rig.

As far as content goes I don't see myself playing this for more than a couple of weeks but I bought it for a can of beans.

Vooduu

The gamer in me wants to jump all over this game, it looks like so much fun. The person who is sick of being taken advantage of by publishers and developers thinks Evolve is some of the most in your face "we know you can't resist, so we're bending you over and you'll like it" type shit I've seen in recent memory. I think I'm going to hold off until I can get the entire package for cheap, if anyone is still playing, or I just won't get it at all. I just can't reward fuckery like this anymore. The fact that there are people defending this shit is proof that it won't ever stop and that gamers are more concerned with their fix than being treated fairly.

True, you're right. I share some of the same concerns, which has delayed my purchase of Evolve unfortunately. Still, if people are willing to buy the crap, you can't blame the companies for shitting out more.

IzzyF3

LFO1s9C.png

Not nearly as bad as Watch Dogs, but still off-putting, given all the complexity there is to actually getting the game. Why does PC, of all things, have a monster race edition that gets everything? Console players have to pay once up front, and then another season pass, and then another pass to get whatever's left! If I'm going to pay for DLC, I want the pricing simple. I shouldn't have to pay more than once upfront to get everything the game has to offer, both now and in the future.

$X for hunters
$Y for monsters
$Z for everything

That and the general lack of content feels like the game is designed to sell you DLC. Not to mention all the timed exclusive content and pre-order bonus crap.

Oh, okay thanks. I can see myself waiting for the discounted "ultimate" edition or something down the line in that case. I'm in no hurry to play this game.

Skyzard

Banned
Almost everyone on my friendslist who has tried the alpha or beta has bought it. 18/21.

Really fun and tense battles. Great monster hunting game.

I won't be buying monsters or hunters at those prices but I'm very happy with the game (which is basically the same as the beta for me - not too many improvements that I noticed since then but it's still damn good).

--thought this was the OT for a sec.

I think the game looks cool, but I just don't wanna get burned for an only multiplayer game. Really bummed Evolve doesn't have a proper single player, and I can already assume the game suffers the same problem with Titanfall regarding lack of content

Tagyhag

Watching it in real-time....

...Dayum. This won't end well.

EDIT: On second thought seems like it's a pretty small number that just keeps cycling. Still though, only one thumbs-up from that batch. Might not be reflective of total community sentiment, but that's a pretty terrible batch.

I'm glad that at least those people get to be vocal. If someone is really interested in the game they'll buy it regardless, but someone who might be on the edge might change their mind reading about the DLC.

I know it's victim blaming but the reason we gamers tend to get fucked by some devs/publishers is because we let them.

Issue I have with this is that heavily preprepared DLC does not strike me as a good sign for on going support.

The main DLC isn't done though so it's not really preprepared (unless they're lying). The 4th monster isn't due until Spring. They haven't even teased the new maps and modes besides to say they're coming down the line and will be free. Sounds like ongoing support to me. They've even committed to a 5th monster.

Top Bottom