• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

erawsd

Reminds me of when Smush Parker and Kobe combined for 94 against Toronto

kobe-bryant-smush-parker-verbal-jabs-basketball-lakers__oPt.jpg

Melchiah

Serious question? About those two games?

Edit. Ok ill take you on face value.

Heavy Rain is, for all intents and purposes, an interactive movie/cutscene. Watching someone play it through on YouTube is effectively the same as you playing it without you actually pushing a button every now and again.

Ninja Gaiden is a hard as nails, balls to the wall action game. It demands the best of your reflexes, patience and skill.

But even more so, Ninja Gaiden can be played badly. Heavy Rain cant. So you can watch a person on Youtube playing NG horribly. But you can also watch them playing it skillfully. It will be completely different both times. But in Ninja Gaiden you need to experience the thrill of playing yourself. The controls, the "feel" of it to get that enjoyment.

Heavy Rain you don't. Just watch playthroughs of each ending done and you've played it all without getting the platinum.

It sounds to me you haven't played Heavy Rain. The challenge comes from trying to keep the characters alive, and reaching a desired goal. That thrill only comes from playing the game. If a character dies, the game follows a different path, and the experience changes

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think Dark Sector is really good. I actually own two copies. It's not as good as Gears 1 or 3 to be sure, but I really like it.

I think that's great, my cousin loves it, plenty of people will, wasn't my cup of tea, but didn't hate it. The thing is I was really hoping for The Order to become one of Sonys flagship titles given the talent involved, the production values, the setting, etc. I just am struggling to see it happening at the time. I can definitely see it having a fanbase, but I can't think of many games that doesn't have its fans.

Elginer

Am looking forward to this game wholeheartedly but it seems that many people for some reason or the other have pissed on the game since its reveal. It's always about what it isn't, not what it is. I've been seeing a fair amount of reviews as of late where writers in the media seem to take this stance, why it is -- I'm not sure.

I'm looking forward to a fun and brutal TPS with a cool story that lasts a good 9 hours or so. That's fine by me. I know that many wanted multiplayer and who knows, perhaps in the future the developer will have the chops and time to make a fun multiplayer addition to a single player game.

I'm looking forward to playing what is hopefully from all I've heard a very polished game. In an industry where the past year has been a fiasco with unfinished games and DLC bullshit, with games such as Assassin's Creed and Master Chief Collection that to this day still aren't up to scratch receiving high review scores, I tend to go by what I feel gains my attention and the word of mouth of friends and fellow Gaffers.

It will be a shame if the game gets crapped on for what it isn't. I remember Advent Rising from CHAIR being a promising new IP that for some insane reason the media kept comparing to Halo when they were completely different beasts. Advent Rising wasn't a perfect game by any stretch but as a first effort from a new studio it was great.

The studio would later go on to make one of the best Xbox 360 games in Shadow Complex. If you're interested in the game then by all means get it but let the deciding factor be what some cynical grumps believe. Make up your own damn mind. Hell, you may find a hidden gem that you and a few others will remember fondly. You may not as well...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
more impressions:

my thoughts on the snoredor 1886

the snoredor 1886 is a game for the gaystation quadro, which means it's four times as gay. people say the graphics are good, but i think they suck and really aren't even good at all\

ryse is the best looking game out there except for halo, don't even talk to me about this kind of crap for any reason.
before you call me a fanboy, I own all three systems, so don't call me a fanboy. but if you own a playstation 4, you eat dicks for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

FINISH THE FIGHT - KILL THE PS4

source

SkylineRKR

7 hrs, what?

Took me 4 hrs and I went through the game casually, and wasted time.

4 hrs by game clock or real life?

I checked my watch when I did a replay on normal mode. And couldn't do it within 4 real hours.

But Vanquish had about zero filler. Its 100% gameplay. Plus the challenge rooms. Easily pumped 20 hrs in this game or more.

Game4life

Banned
I think that's great, my cousin loves it, plenty of people will, wasn't my cup of tea, but didn't hate it. The thing is I was really hoping for The Order to become one of Sonys flagship titles given the talent involved, the production values, the setting, etc. I just am struggling to see it happening at the time. I can definitely see it having a fanbase, but I can't think of many games that doesn't have its fans.

It is okay. It is not the end of the world. I am sure you will find games that you like on the platform.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think Dark Sector is really good. I actually own two copies. It's not as good as Gears 1 or 3 to be sure, but I really like it.

My memory of it is very faded, but I seem to recall feeling like it ran out of ideas by the halfway mark, maybe earlier, and after that I was just doing the same exact thing for way too long. I had not played any Gears game at that point, so my negative impression was not the result of an implicit comparison to Gears.

Pandy

He expanded read though the topic.
Read through the topic.

There's a really weak explanation of replayability, which makes me think he doesn't understand how the concept applies to Vanquish at all. There's no explanation of how the pacing, or the weapons. Just some slight explanation that you do things like move and shoot from cover, which is hardly news to anyone that will be reading this thread.

The only impression I get from the OP is that of hyperbole.

arevin01

What is subjective? Can you give more specificity? I said that watching a game gives a lesser sense of engagement than playing it, I don't think that is subjective.

I understand when you say playing the game and viewing it are different levels of engagement, but to say one is of lesser enjoyment, then that just becomes a subjective statement. Can't go more into it as I dont want to derail the thread.

Cinematic qte heavy games that hold your hand are the new old fashioned? Story driven games are a callback to gaming's past? The fuck?

Yeah I find it quite odd for OP to say the Order is an old fashioned experience. I mean I consider old fashioned to be something like Megaman , Ghouls n Ghosts, Contra, and maybe even RE1 and Parasite Eve. I don't see the similarities with The Order.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
more impressions:

the snoredor 1886 is a game for the gaystation quadro, which means it's four times as gay. people say the graphics are good, but i think they suck and really aren't even good at all\

ryse is the best looking game out there except for halo, don't even talk to me about this kind of crap for any reason.
before you call me a fanboy, I own all three systems, so don't call me a fanboy. but if you own a playstation 4, you eat dicks for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I stole a whole crate of the game from a Walmart stockroom and I played every copy, so I guess you could say I'm one of the bigger experts in here, and you've captured my impressions word for word.

wtf are you talking about
dying light has good reviews.
even with jimquistions special score of 50 included
if a restaurant is "mediocre" i dont want to eat there. Good, to great, I do. Dying light has good reviews. on average. It isnt goty but mediocre make it sound not worth anyones time.

Coming from an era of much inflated scores, 7's across the board feel like mediocre reviews to some. It really deserved lots of 9's and 8's IMO.

benny_a

Yeah I find it quite odd for OP to say the Order is an old fashioned experience. I mean I consider old fashioned to be something like Megaman , Ghouls n Ghosts, Contra, and maybe even RE1 and Parasite Eve. I don't see the similarities with The Order.
Oldschool for me is Pong and I can see the comparison. You shoot at the enemy and the enemy shoots at you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It is okay. It is not the end of the world. I am sure you will find games that you like on the platform.

When did I ever say it was the end of the world? The hell? I'm voicing disappointment that it will not go on to be one of Sonys great IPs (my opinion of course). I was hyped for this and had great expectations as soon as it was announced. Disappointing to see where it ended up.

more impressions:

source

This is a useless post and only proves the hypocrisy in these threads.

Coming from an era of much inflated scores, 7's across the board feel like mediocre reviews to some. It really deserved lots of 9's and 8's IMO.

I agree, but at the same time that system has been in place a while. Games are still capable of scoring mostly 8s/9s however most games this last year or so have been underwhelming and I think a lot of people agree with that.

kyser73

Serious question? About those two games?

Edit. Ok ill take you on face value.

Heavy Rain is, for all intents and purposes, an interactive movie/cutscene. Watching someone play it through on YouTube is effectively the same as you playing it without you actually pushing a button every now and again.

Ninja Gaiden is a hard as nails, balls to the wall action game. It demands the best of your reflexes, patience and skill.

But even more so, Ninja Gaiden can be played badly. Heavy Rain cant. So you can watch a person on Youtube playing NG horribly. But you can also watch them playing it skillfully. It will be completely different both times. But in Ninja Gaiden you need to experience the thrill of playing yourself. The controls, the "feel" of it to get that enjoyment.

Heavy Rain you don't. Just watch playthroughs of each ending done and you've played it all without getting the platinum.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ the 'Heavy Rain can't be played badly'.

It really can. Watching my wife attempt to climb up that muddy slope in the demo was by turns funny, frustrating and eventually tragic as she almost made it to the top of the slope and then slid down again.

By the same chalk, a friend of mine who really loves the Cage games can play it so well when watching it does actually look like a movie he has a degree of control over, his playing is so smooth.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It sounds to me you haven't played Heavy Rain. The challenge comes from trying to keep the characters alive, and reaching a desired goal. That thrill only comes from playing the game. If a character dies, the game follows a different path, and the experience changes

I've platinumed it. Horrible experience to force myself through. One run was ok, but 3 or 4? Ugh.

Dawg

Oldschool for me is Pong and I can see the comparison. You shoot at the enemy and the enemy shoots at you.

Pong didn't just have black bars though, the entire background was black. Pretty impressive tbh. The story was simplistic, but - unlike so many AAA games these days - it made you think. Why am I hitting this ball back and forth? What is the goal of this game? What is the meaning of life? There was no handholding. You drop in the game and the opponent doesn't even give you the time to learn the game. You better git gud or you're done for.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
IMpreshuns of the order 1886

- best game ever
- graphics are better than lyfe
- reaplyabity?! LOL whuts that?
- 7 hours is more than enough I have a laif you no?
- you think this is linear? Lul last of us is 2 and this better.
- Uncharted is cinematic but nut as gud
- you disagree? xbot obv.

See I can do it too!

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to seeing this in action later this week. Not nearly as big a fan of the "funnel" comment, but as long as it does a good job in masking its linearity, I think I'll be fine.

Somehow this doesn't sound good.

2015-02-1523_33_22-an91k2q.png

I'm not seeing that at all. Seems like he sees the early buzz on the net and was chiming in to say he'd have his thoughts up on it soonish. It doesn't say anything about his review being positive or negative or anything in between.

This tweet should be in a text book explaining confirmation bias.

Pretty much.

benny_a

I just think it's funny you guys harp on people for "driveby shitposting" and you post crap like this.
I like to have fun. If a moderator thinks it's too bad they will delete my posts and I will get the message. I certainly don't think me having some fun is any worse than your fifteenth time trying to convince people how you were oh so excited for this game and every media that was released was getting you more and more hype until the house of cards came crashing down.

kyser73

I feel like there's a major missed opportunity with how the cutscenes are handled (like in every other game). You'd figure that having the cutscenes rendered real-time, in engine, would allow them to be creative but seemingly not.

if you really want to blend cinematics and gameplay you have to do more than just make them look the same. How awesome would it be if they took 20 seconds at the beginning of every cutscene to reference what you did as a player in the last section. "Galahad, your coat is bloodied", "You should see the other guy, Isi". "Galahad, you dropped your pistol? Here, take mine". Something as simple as that could be so immersive. A true blending of cinematics and gameplay, where player agency carries forward even when they put their controller down.

I like the idea, but context-driven canned responses would end up with the criticism:

'I hated it when x character told me I had viscera all over me for the nth time.'

It really can. Watching my wife attempt to climb up that muddy slope in the demo was by turns funny, frustrating and eventually tragic as she almost made it to the top of the slope and then slid down again.

By the same chalk, a friend of mine who really loves the Cage games can play it so well when watching it does actually look like a movie he has a degree of control over, his playing is so smooth.

I'm actually playing the game as badly as can be possibly played at the moment, just to see what happens. It's quite funny sometimes. But I also enjoyed my first experience with it for the most part.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is a useless post and only proves the hypocrisy in these threads.

I found it mildly amusing and thus it was orders of magnitude more valuable to me than reading the same horseshit rehashed for the thousandth time. If I could trade every poster complaining about other posters' biases and trolling and "oh i'm not allowed to be negative" "oh I'm not allowed to be positive???!" for posters who put a little effort into being entertaining, I'd do it without hesitation.

Melchiah

Not to mention the comment about pushing a button occasionally. Hell, something like the Taxidermist mission is exactly the opposite of both, and keeping your character alive through it isn't a walk in the park.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I like to have fun. If a moderator thinks it's too bad they will delete my posts and I will get the message. I certainly don't think me having some fun is any worse than your fifteenth time trying to convince people how you were oh so excited for this game and every media that was released was getting you more and more hype until the house of cards came crashing down.

I haven't seen anybody try to convince somebody of that. Instead I've seen people try to explain what it is about this game that isn't gripping them. You then have multiple people in the thread going out of their way in an attempt to explain why every other game does this, and so on and so forth. I've been told multiple times I have an agenda and it's a load of crap. Read my post history if you actually care that much.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

- best game ever

See I can do it too!

Not as well, it seems.

But still better than another post about how long the game is.

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.

Bishop89

Just goes to show how opinions vary.

I for one LOVED gears campaigns, wasn't a fan of the mp.

Hopefully this game does well.

Melchiah

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.

That sounds very promising, and makes it seem just like my kind of game.

I haven't seen anybody try to convince somebody of that. Instead I've seen people try to explain what it is about this game that isn't gripping them. You then have multiple people in the thread going out of their way in an attempt to explain why every other game does this, and so on and so forth. I've been told multiple times I have an agenda and it's a load of crap. Read my post history if you actually care that much.
You are the definition of buzzkill in this thread. Man, just let it go; you don't have to respond to every perceived slight against you or others you feel the need to champion for. Christ, it's getting old!

Alucrid

Banned

Right that why I dont get why it was posted at all.

Eh do you really like it?

Because I like it alot as well.

I actually enjoyed the feel and the Glaive stuff. Really hated when they stripped it all away from you. :D

But Dark Sector is a good game too.

Oh....I'm not alone?

Its a solid game, I was just laughing at the fact that the game it draws heavily on... is Gears (albeit with a glaive)

Sure, but I think all the additions such as the glaive-cam, environmental uses and suit powers/abilities made it way more fun to play through. It was definitely a slow start fighting a helicopter with a rocket launcher, but by the end of it stealth killing stalkers and what not was great. I just wish we had access to the fill suit for longer, if for looks only.

I'm not going to make the outlandish statement that Dark Sector's multiplayer was more enjoyable than Gears, but I thought it was pretty damn fun as well.

OT: How's the PC version of Dark Sector? I thought I had heard of issues running it, which would explain why it's not already in my steam library..that or lack of sales.

prwxv3

- best game ever

See I can do it too!
Its a improvement from your game length posts.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You are the definition of buzzkill in this thread. Man, just let it go; you don't have to respond to every perceived slight against you or others you feel the need to champion for. Christ, it's getting old!

I've stated it time and time again, it's a discussion board deal with it. If you don't like the negativity too bad, that's part of a discussion. There is an ignore feature if you hate to see the other side of the coin. Just get used to it, hopefully you don't read reviews, because I'm convinced this game will get plenty of 5s, 6s, and 7s.

kyser73

I'm looking forward to this because I actually really enjoy cinematic, story driven games. I've been playing games since about 1979 (Space Invaders on a Commodore PET was my first game outside of the arcades), and for me integrating strong storytelling into a gaming experience is a direction I'm happy the medium went in.

If it was the only way the medium had gone it would be sad, but I would say the same if the only games left around were 2D/3D platformers and character action games.

Also - I'm properly dreading the TTC, NMS and UC4 threads now.

Irnbru

I've stated it time and time again, it's a discussion board deal with it. If you don't like the negativity too bad, that's part of a discussion. There is an ignore feature if you hate to see the other side of the coin. Just get used to it, hopefully you don't read reviews, because I'm convinced this game will get plenty of 5s, 6s, and 7s.

Jesus christ what am I reading.

Nokterian

And that's what has become Warframe well it was before it was called warframe because the publisher wanted something different so ended it up on Dark Sector (i still own the game also).

Top Bottom