• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Reading A Game of Thrones. Though reading it on the kindle is a little discouraging because I bought the 4 book set that amazon has, it says I'm a whole 8% through. I'd really rather know how much I am through game of thrones not the whole four book set.

Kindle had the same problem with the Mistborn trilogy. It is pretty darn annoying and discouraging, yeah.

Just finished Consider Phlebas

Consider-Phlebas-vavatch-orbital.gif

Thought it was great, though I liked the last third of the book less than the first two. I felt it dragged a tad when they got to
Schar's World and the command system

Just started Armadale

Enjoying it so far. Bit of a change of pace coming after Eliot, but it's certainly good fun.

Trying to decide between The Woodlanders, by Hardy, and Bleak House, by Dickens obviously, for my next read. Any opinions?

Jag

My wife is asking me for a book recommendation. She likes books with strong female protagonists like Outlander, the White Queen and anything by Ken Follet. I've heard the Time Travelers Wife recommended. Is that a good book? Anything else to recommend?

mu cephei

I finished 'One of Us' by Michael Marshall Smith. It was pretty good, but it went even more bonkers near the end than 'Spares' did,
god and angels
and it didn't hold together that well. But it was entertaining, his style is great fun.

I've just started

23250725.jpg

The Beauty by Aliya Whiteley. It's less than 100 pages so I should finish it tonight. It has fungus, which freaks me out, so I'm hoping I'll find it nice and disconcerting.

After that I'll probably re-read The Steel Remains. However, I really feel like reading some sort of literary contemporary fiction, something that really gets inside people's heads. But I don't know what fits that bill. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks. I'll go grab the first book. I guess Time Traveler's Wife is not on Kindle because the author fears piracy which is ironic because not having it available drives people to pirate it.

Ironically enough, you can purchase the Spanish version of it on the Kindle, and her most recent (and poorly reviewed) book is available in English on the Kindle. It strikes me more like a case of incompetence than anything else.

You can check out the audio copy from Overdrive for free. So she's leaving money on the table.

Bazza

Saw this mentioned in last months thread, It's not something I would usually pick up but every now and again I will read a random book, this was it.

883209.jpg

Having no experience with sailing, the sailing terms were very hard to follow. Really really happy eBooks exist, the number of words I had to look up words in the dictionary many times more than other books I have read.

The actual story was solid and the different perspectives of the two main characters worked well.

I probably will move onto Post Captain at some point but not as my next read.

I lurk this thread every month, and I've noticed that most posters seem to reference reading on Kindle rather than Nook. I know the Kindle is the leading platform for dedicated ereaders, but I'm not sure why people seem to prefer the Kindle. I usually read on my Nook or their the app on my phone. However, I also have a Kindle that I never use. Is there a significant difference in the ecosystems? I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything when I have access to both.

Jag

I lurk this thread every month, and I've noticed that most posters seem to reference reading on Kindle rather than Nook. I know the Kindle is the leading platform for dedicated ereaders, but I'm not sure why people seem to prefer the Kindle. I usually read on my Nook or their the app on my phone. However, I also have a Kindle that I never use. Is there a significant difference in the ecosystems? I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything when I have access to both.

The new kindle paperwhites blow away the nook. I went through several nooks (got them for free), but even paying for a paperwhite was better than a free nook. Lighter, better screen, more comfortable to hold and I prefer the Amazon ecosystem.

Xeroblade

Enjoy! Two awesome books. The Lost World is so much better than the movie. I consider these two plus Congo and Timeline to be "essential Crichton."

I am enjoying the crap out of the first book so far, as for the other two you mentioned I will keep them in mind when I am done with these two.

System wise, they are likely quite similar. I don't know if the latest Nook competes well with the Paperwhite 2, but I can't imagine one being significantly better than the other.

It's more of an ecosystem thing. People buy books on Amazon. Click one button, the book pops up on your Kindle, your phone, your computer, etc. They own Audible so there's synchronization between audio books and digital books. They have great deals of the day.

I think most people are like me and default to Amazon for book purchases.

My wife is asking me for a book recommendation. She likes books with strong female protagonists like Outlander, the White Queen and anything by Ken Follet. I've heard the Time Travelers Wife recommended. Is that a good book? Anything else to recommend?

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

bengraven

I have about 30 pages left in Titus Alone and I'll finally be done with this.

It's pretty dense reading that took me a really long time for some reason. The third book is definitely not on par with the first 2. The middle book, Gormenghast, was great though. Peake is an excellent writer that really does have a fine command of the language and the setting is haunting. The prose is fantastic and deep. I'm not really sure there's anything out there quite like it.

I would definitely recommend the first two and stopping there.

I have this collection as well and wanted it for years, but the density is so thick that I just have a hard time getting through it. I think I'm maybe 15 pages in and it feels like I just spent the last 15 pages running a marathon. The idea of the entire book being like that sounds mentally challenging to me.

And this is a guy who loves a good intelligent story.

thomaser

Still on George Eliot's Middlemarch. Very slow going. Partly because it has an uncommonly complex language and vocabulary, partly because I'm doing a handful of Coursera courses simultaneously. I'm probably a fourth into the book. Not much happening so far except from an engagement. But it's so deep and thoughtful and biting in its depiction of village life and intrigues that I'm quite fascinated by it.

hythloday

Per my wife who loves the Outlander books: the Wilderness series, by Sara Donati.

Wilderness series is good! (as an Outlander-obsessed fan).

Lots of my favorite books have strong female protagonists. I read a lot of historical fiction and fantasy.

If she likes the paranormal at all, she might like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (it's the first book in the All Souls Trilogy). The premise seems cheesy, but I like to think of this as a fantasy/romance for bookish types. The protagonist is a professor, she's a witch, and there's vampires and yes I said it was cheesy but it's well-written and has an awesome setting (Oxford).

There's also (these are all historical fiction with the exception of the Red Tent which is biblical fiction):
Empress Orchid by Anchee Min
The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz
The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See** (really loved this one!)
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

Those are mostly all historical fiction with female protagonists. I wouldn't say they all feature protagonists that can be described as "strong" in the same sense as Claire in Outlander, but some are at least about major female historical figures (Empress Cixi, Catherine the Great, etc).

I'll also throw out Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel (Earth's Children series). Not exactly like Outlander, the White Queen, etc but it focuses on a girl in prehistoric Europe living with a clan of Neanderthals after she loses her family/tribe in an earthquake. First book is fantastic, second and third are good, then the series gets a little worse with each book that follows. I'd say Ayla is less of a "strong female protagonist" and more of a "unrealistically perfect protagonist" though, but that's not really too obnoxious until the later books.

besada

Banned

I read on my iPad, using either Kindle of iBooks.

Mumei

I'll also throw out Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel (Earth's Children series). Not exactly like Outlander, the White Queen, etc but it focuses on a girl in prehistoric Europe living with a clan of Neanderthals after she loses her family/tribe in an earthquake. First book is fantastic, second and third are good, then the series gets a little worse with each book that follows. I'd say Ayla is less of a "strong female protagonist" and more of a "unrealistically perfect protagonist" though, but that's not really too obnoxious until the later books.

I loved The Clan of the Cave Bear when I read it when I was 13 and visiting my aunt in Pennsylvania, and I agree with your description of it. You don't really get a true sense of how unrealistically perfect she is until she is compared to other Cro-Magnon people; before that you can sort of attribute things to her having advantages that the other characters don't.

Also, there's lots of sex. Looots of sex. It's basically prehistoric erotica at points. I'm surprised my aunt suggested I read it, honestly.

Thanks for the responses. I don't intend to buy a new ereader, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Most of the time I read on my phone, and I can sync with my Nook any time. So, it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. It's funny though, how I see something I might be interested in while reading this thread, switch to my Amazon tab to read reviews, then download the sample on my Nook app. I guess I could cut a step out of the process if I used the Kindle app.

Aside from that, thanks to this thread I got into Peter F. Hamilton's books last month. I really enjoyed "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained". I saw where the author caught a lot of flak over the length of the books. I thought they were just about the perfect length. I have just gotten back into Sci-fi for the first time in years, and it was nice to read a book with so many ideas and concepts. It kind of reminded me a playing through "Mass Effect" for the first time; there were just so many ideas expressed.

besada

Banned
No, i haven't read any of those.
Perhaps i should, i do prefer logical magic systems overall. (Makes RPG design difficult. I know my friends do not particularly care for logic, so i need to try to disguise things. No attempt so far has felt a good mix of logical feeling mysterious.)

The central conceit is that mana is a non-renewable resources under normal circumstances, and nearly everything devolves from that.

ngower

Set aside Red or Dead and started reading Ready Player One at work yesterday during slow periods. Burning through it—currently at the halfway point. It's a lot simpler than I anticipated (was expecting something more...) but it's a super easy read and I'm enjoying the nostalgia references (for the most part, it's definitely a bit heavy-handed). I'm eager to see how the story plays out, but I do think it's a bit obvious and can predict the probably plot "trees." Either way, super enjoyable read. I might give this to my nephew in a couple of years (he's ten) once he starts to get curious about culture of the past.

Trey

Just ran through The Martian. Typical space survival story as I'm sure you all know. It has bits and pieces of pretty much every space movie from the last 15 years. As such, the most fun parts were the Martian explaining his thought processes as he solved problems. It touched the engineer in me enough that I could suspend disbelief.

The tone might have been a problem for me if I expected more from the book.
The Martian's constant sarcasm and joke making - while good for a laugh here or there - never allowed tension to build. Combined with him solving every issue as they popped up, the book quickly became one of those kung fu movie where the protagonist is an untouchable force, except trade random goons for the abject inhospitability of Mars. The general plot and characterizations rose to about the level of a Steven Segal movie, as well. That's actually cool in its own way, but I'll gladly ignore the final page which extolled the virtues of mankind's sentimentality. The Martian doesn't have that kind of backbone, and such a conclusion feels tacked on as a result.

It was a fun read all said.

bigmase21

My 1st Collection of movie book adaptions came in the mail today:
STILL-ALICE-200x300.jpg

5178-V9ohbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51ilFLI-pnL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51UvzjZRD7L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

&
9781610391092_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Starting off with Still Alice today since that was the latest movie adaption to come out. Then will follow with whatever movie has the closest movie release date to date

Donos

Just ran through The Martian. Typical space survival story as I'm sure you all know. It has bits and pieces of pretty much every space movie from the last 15 years. As such, the most fun parts were the Martian explaining his thought processes as he solved problems. It touched the engineer in me enough that I could suspend disbelief.

The tone might have been a problem for me if I expected more from the book.
The Martian's constant sarcasm and joke making - while good for a laugh here or there - never allowed tension to build. Combined with him solving every issue as they popped up, the book quickly became one of those kung fu movie where the protagonist is an untouchable force, except trade random goons for the abject inhospitability of Mars. The general plot and characterizations rose to about the level of a Steven Segal movie, as well. That's actually cool in its own way, but I'll gladly ignore the final page which extolled the virtues of mankind's sentimentality. The Martian doesn't have that kind of backbone, and such a conclusion feels tacked on as a result.

It was a fun read all said.

Yes, it was rather light but fun read for a change.
I also sometimes thought that he way always way to "positiv" and in good faith for someone beeing 500 days alone on mars. I also thought that he would face harder problems in the end for more tension but like you said, he managed everything pretty easily.

I'm now through half of Stephen King's 11/22/63. Still good.

Glaurungr

Some of my readings from the last month or so:

The most enjoyable read was The Goblin Emperor (though I did find the created language mostly irritating), with Stoner and City of Stairs not too far behind. The History of Middle-earth series continues to be an absolutely fascinating look at Tolkien's never-ending tinkering with his mythology. I found Inkheart to be boring and a waste of an interesting premise, while A Burnable Book failed to excite me at all, despite my love for everything related to the middle ages.

Now reading:

Woorloog

Banned
The central conceit is that mana is a non-renewable resources under normal circumstances, and nearly everything devolves from that.

That i have heard. Read. I read too much TV Tropes.
Mm-hmm. Limited mana... economics of magic. Hmm. *Scribbles some notes*

Saw this mentioned in last months thread, It's not something I would usually pick up but every now and again I will read a random book, this was it.

883209.jpg

Having no experience with sailing, the sailing terms were very hard to follow. Really really happy eBooks exist, the number of words I had to look up words in the dictionary many times more than other books I have read.

The actual story was solid and the different perspectives of the two main characters worked well.

I probably will move onto Post Captain at some point but not as my next read.

There's a whole dictionary dedicated to the series called Sea of Words, so don't feel bad. And O'Brian is unforgiving when it comes nautical terms. As the series goes on, things get explained to Maturin, and that's really O'Brian's only concession to the reader.

There also *another* companion book to the series, which breaks down the historical context of each book and includes plenty of maps, etc, - another detail that O'Brian doesn't bother with. It's called Harbors and High Seas.

Bazza

There's a whole dictionary dedicated to the series called Sea of Words, so don't feel bad. And O'Brian is unforgiving when it comes nautical terms. As the series goes on, things get explained to Maturin, and that's really O'Brian's only concession to the reader.

There also *another* companion book to the series, which breaks down the historical context of each book and includes plenty of maps, etc, - another detail that O'Brian doesn't bother with. It's called Harbors and High Seas.

I found some of his chapters in this book were very much like that as well, glad to hear it continues in the series.

Thanks for the other info as well, Will have to take a look before I delve into the next book

I found some of his chapters in this book were very much like that as well, glad to hear it continues in the series.

Thanks for the other info as well, Will have to take a look before I delve into the next book

It really is worth the effort. Aubrey/Maturin are right up there with Holmes/Watson. For serious. I've always said this series is literature disguised as adventure stories.

Trey

Very false.

Brandon Sanderson's essays on this are really interesting, recommended reading for all fantasy writers and readers:
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-second-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-third-law-of-magic/

Rowling's world, and the magic therein, worked about as well as it could. The primary concern with building magic systems - and I'm sure Mr. Sanderson will agree - is to make them interesting and understandable. Not many will care how complicated and logical your systems are if they're overwritten, as he points out.

When it comes to Harry Potter, the characters are the main attraction. Charming and memorable characters will shine brighter than the internal inconsistencies of made up systems most of the time for most of the people.

noal

Banned
UNkSAAH.jpg.

I finished Skeleton Crew and fancied something lighter in tone so chose one of my Christmas books. I still have 6 to go!

It is fascinating reading how Mitnick social engineered people to get the info he wanted.

It just goes to show, people are very trusting.

Rowling's world, and the magic therein, worked about as well as it could. The primary concern with building magic systems - and I'm sure Mr. Sanderson will agree - is to make them interesting and understandable. Not many will care how complicated and logical your systems are if they're overwritten, as he points out.

When it comes to Harry Potter, the characters are the main attraction. Charming and memorable characters will shine brighter than the internal inconsistencies of made up systems most of the time for most of the people.

He does agree, yeah. In one episode of writing excuses where Sanderson and friends discussed his laws, they talked about how the harry potter series sticks to the concept in the first one because information is generally coherent enough within a given novel that any magic involved in a plot's resolution is sufficiently foreshadowed so as to not feel like a deus ex machina.

Even if there's no overall structure to magic, or if time turners break the universe, they still have the coherence needed to be functional stories. Even a character-driven story feels crappy if the climax feels like an ass-pull.

Sanderson's first law isn't so much a statement of"Every fantasy book needs to be Mistborn" as it is "Using magic as a blank check to do anything at any time in a story with no warning will not make for a fulfilling story."

UNkSAAH.jpg.

I finished Skeleton Crew and fancied something lighter in tone so chose one of my Christmas books. I still have 6 to go!

It is fascinating reading how Mitnick social engineered people to get the info he wanted.

It just goes to show, people are very trusting.

I enjoyed this book when I read it. I like reading about Social Engineering, and Computer stuff.

Literally just finished Roadside Picnic. First, the unspoiler-talk: I loved it. Yep, that's it.

Spoiler:
It really did feel like a proto Area X. The way it changes you, but you don't really notice because it's so gradual but it affects everyone around you (expats). Or it doesn't really change you obviously but it changes enough so that your kids are the ones affected. The way it's taking over the area but in ways that no one can figure out.

I liked how there was enough in the story to enable you to see what was going on but also left you clueless in some regards - using slang and colloquialisms for swag items and never explaining what they mean (because no one knows what they do!) - so that you know what's going on but you don't know.

I was confused at some points, maybe some closer readers can help out. Arthur and Dina, what are they? It says that the Zone gave them to the Vulture, and its implied that he 'wished' them into being with the Golden Sphere, but it isn't explained beyond that. I understood that to mean that they aren't 'human' per se but something else. Do you think that it is like the dead coming back to life, maybe?

Also, I almost feel like the aliens are still there. The 'random' attacks, the reports of goings-on in the Zone, the sparkles that move around...I just can't read that and think that it's 'garbage' left behind. Maybe it's the aliens but they're outside of our spectrum.

I read an interpretation that the aliens were going to try to use Arthur to go into politics as he wanted to be president. Yay/nay on that one? It's an interesting theory, and kind of goes with what I said above in that the aliens are still around. The only problem with that is if it were true he wouldn't have been destroyed by the transparent darkness.

Again, I loved it. It's a great example of what I posted a bit ago about the Southern Reach trilogy:
Many sci-fi authors think that they write about aliens. The truth is, they really don't. Instead, they essentially write about humans. Most sci-fi aliens are little more than an allegory for humanity, a mirror through which we can see ourselves - maybe slightly different-looking, with more (or fewer) appendages, different senses, funny names, different social structures - but still unmistakably human.
Because of this, The Southern Reach trilogy isn't really about the aliens, it's about how that errant spark of life is affecting Earth. There's no way to know where it came from because that's impossible to know without ascribing some human element to it. Don't explain, don't get too far into the weeds, and it stays outside of human understanding. I normally hate it when stories leave too much out but I'm coming to appreciate it and books like this, Solaris, and the SR trilogy.

That said it's limited to scifi stories, which is where it makes sense.

Bumhead

Banned
I've decided to make a conscious effort to start reading more. I used to read all the time as a kid, and then.. well, I got a PlayStation and I've barely turned a page since. I want to start enjoying some of my more abandoned and unloved interests a bit more now I'm getting older (as much as something I've not done for twenty years can be described as an interest).

It's quite nice actually that the first book I've decided to read on this journey, I've thrown myself completely into. I seem to carry it around the house and read a bit more whenever I get a quiet moment.

That book being Nineteen Eighty-Four. Had it recommended to me a number of times and I've been aware enough of its subject matter and classic status for a long time. Seemed a logical (read; essential) jumping off point to get me back into reading properly. I'm about half way through and loving it.

Cade

Ubik blew my mind wide open. I wasn't super feeling the first half, but I breezed through the second and absolutely loved the ending stuff. So weird. On to A Scanner Darkly now and the tonal shift is amusing. Did someone teach Dick how to say "fuck" because it's his new favorite word.

ShaneB

18668201.jpg

Finished this earlier today, thought it was hilarious. Gave it 5/5 just on being such a fun read from start to finish, really loved it. Couple of fun quotes from early in the book from the first game.

A safe six feet away from the likes of Mark Teixeira and Robinson Canó, we shut ourselves up and eavesdropped on the players talking about baseball like only professional All-Stars possibly could.
“I’m hungry,” said Canó.
“Yeah,” said Teixeira.
It was unbelievable.

On June 1, 2013, the Yankees happened to be playing the Red Sox, and Ben happened to be covered head to toe in Red Sox gear.
“I didn’t know we’d be so close to them,” Ben whispered so the Yankees couldn’t hear.
Eric glanced around the stadium, scouting out any allies Ben might have. “Isn’t this supposed to be biggest rivalry in sports?”
“Supposed to be?”
“Then don’t hide. Heckle.”
“What would I say?”
“All the things everyone always shouts way up there,” Eric said.
Ben could not believe how little he understood. “They’d be able to hear me.”
“Isn’t that the point?”
Ben pretended to occupy himself with the game’s program.
“Are you honestly telling me that you only shout at them when they can’t hear you, and then as soon as you’re within earshot, you respectfully sit in silence and say nothing at all?”
“It’s complicated.”
“You’re a terrible fan.”
“You’re a terrible road trip buddy.”
It had been an hour.

X-Frame

I just finished The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Goodreads) by Becky Chambers, and I loved it!

22733729.jpg

If you're looking for a space-opera with a character driven story (and amazing characters at that) with an adventure on a wormhole-tunneling spaceship crewed by multiple different alien species, then I highly recommend this book. Think Firefly, with some Mass Effect (although this is a civilian and unarmed spaceship, not a warship). Wonderful world building too in my opinion.

Necrovex

Time Traveler Wife isn't clicking as much as I expected to be. I have never been a big fan of romantic genre, and even with this great Scifi hook to it, my attention is beginning to wane halfway in.

Enco

Any good sci-fi story suggestions?

Something with a cool futuristic world and that is easy to understand. Not too many over the top made up words.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ubik blew my mind wide open. I wasn't super feeling the first half, but I breezed through the second and absolutely loved the ending stuff. So weird. On to A Scanner Darkly now and the tonal shift is amusing. Did someone teach Dick how to say "fuck" because it's his new favorite word.

Wish I could go back and re-read Dick like I did back in the day. I read so many of them that I've lost track if there's any books that I haven't read. Could very well be that I've read them all but there are some I'm not sure about. Don't think I've read The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike, but I'm not sure.

A Scanner Darkly, Ubik, Time Out of Joint, The Divine Invasion, VALIS and The Man in the High Castle are all great works of fiction.

A positive example of lawless magic (not really, but to the reader it is) is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. The magic is largely opaque; we rarely know the rules or what's possible and what isn't. But enough is revealed and foreshadowed that the pieces of magic that are plot-important still feel earned and believable.

Thanks for this recommendation. Always liked the cover of this book. Will need to check it out soon.

Top Bottom