• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Almost done with A Clash of Kings (80% through, according to my Kindle), then I'm going to read The Defining Decade, then back to A Storm of Swords. I want to finish the book series and then rewatch the TV series before the fifth season starts!

NEO0MJ

Finally did some reading. Haven't read a non-comic book in some time. This is what I was reading the last few weeks, Frankenstein.

6572934e3bf196fc5fef15923e66bbd0.jpg

Book was a lot better than what I expected. I already knew the popular depiction of the story might have been twisted with time but I never knew how much. I mean, most probably know now that the monster isn't even called Frankenstein but not how much depth the story has. I love the way the story is structures, starting with Walton just sending letters detailing the progress of his story until his sudden rescue of Victor, and how fascinated he is with the man. When Victor tells his story it might seem a precautionary tale to Walton but later it seemed more that Victor was trying to kill Walton's dreams in a strange form of projection due to his own failures.

Victor's childhood was an interesting read as well. While his personality and passion were probably never going to change growing up what he read had such an incredible effect on what he pursued later in life.His choice of friend in Henry was also interesting in that how different they were. Henry gave an image of a much more sociable and personable individual who was passionate about art and literature, unlike the anti-social science oriented Victor. His relationship with Elizabeth felt undercooked though. I wish more time was spent developing her.

Victor's descent to madness chilling. While he was eccentric at first after the creation of his monster his mental state went downhill fast, with each tragedy accelerating his descent faster. By the end of the tale the way he started to view reality as a nightmare and his dreams as the true state of the world was creepy, and how far he was willing to go to chase the creature.

And of course the monster, probably the book's most fascinating character. You can't help but feel sorry for it. Victor created him to be a beautiful man who should have shone a new path for humanity but the process of giving life disfigured his form, so much so that Victor could do nothing but flee when the creature reached with its hand towards its creator. His then desperate struggle in the wilds on its own, his search for love and compassion, the dreams e had of the wonderful moment he would meet his protectors and how it actually happened, it was all heartbreaking. If only he didn't give people what they saw in him, and just went to Victor directly. He would have probably been more willing to help had he not killed his brother, which while already made his hate the creature, also made his suspect of any future action he or any other like him might take.

It was funny how attached the two became by the end of the story, and how each one was the other's sole purpose in existence, the only thing that mattered to them in the world. It aroused Victor from his dead-like state and gave the monster something to be passionate about, been going as far as to leave hints and even supplies so Victor can keep chasing him.

In conclusion this was a wonderful tale about what it means to be human, our relationship with others, our passions, loss, and how we unfairly mistreat others, even when they try to help us. At least, that's what I saw in it.

Almost done with A Clash of Kings (80% through, according to my Kindle), then I'm going to read The Defining Decade, then back to A Storm of Swords. I want to finish the book series and then rewatch the TV series before the fifth season starts!
Wow, you are on a tight schedule!

pootle

Just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.

13521459.jpg

I can only really recommend it if you have read the earlier third law trilogy as even though it would be good on its own you would be missing out on all of the laughing in sheer delight callbacks to the earlier stories.

Next up is some Agatha Christie. I've never read anything of hers but a friend has loaned me some Poirot so I'll give them a go.

Donos

Can i add this thread somehow to an ignorelist till i have finished my list? ....

Having cought up on The Walking Dead series recently, i started to think if there is good a book/book series that is similar. Can be survival/postapocalyptic/zombie/alien/TLOU whatever.
I know that the Road is going to burn out my soul reading it (watched the movie). Already have read World War Z (was entertaining).
I mean, looking at my list of books gathered from this thread, i'm probably not going to start something like this in 2015 but it would be good to know if there are any good ones, so i can add them to the pile.

Finished the second half of Assassin's Apprentice today, lore and settings are not very interesting to me, neither are most characters. The book is not bad, it's...ok, it simply doesn't grip me. And for an assassin, Fitz spent quite a long time not assassinating anyone.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished the second half of Assassin's Apprentice today, lore and settings are not very interesting to me, neither are most characters. The book is not bad, it's...ok, it simply doesn't grip me. And for an assassin, Fitz spent quite a long time not assassinating anyone.

Trilogy spoilers:
Fitz spends most of the trilogy not doing anything to anyone. Events happen around him, but rarely at his hand.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

I feel like I always end up saying this when someone starts reading these books, BUT...I've never retroactively hated a series more than this and the following trilogy. Robin Hobb writes the same monotonous crap over and over and over again, and the characters are all shit by the end. Especially Fitz.

Save yourself the trauma and quit while you're ahead. I've never disliked a fantasy series more once I finished and sat down to think about what I'd read.

Ok, I haven't read The Road, so maybe he dumbs it way down. But I have read Blood Meridian, and, uh... what?

Yeah, he uses weird punctuation and stuff - '...and then x, and y, and z, and a, and b, and c...', but that's not 'difficult', so much as it is unconventional. It ain't Proust.

Dispatch

I have almost exactly the same feeling about it. I read the Liveship books first, and found them pretty decent, then the Assassin books, and by the end of that trilogy just retroactively hated everything. I was trying to explain why to Mumei and had a really hard time putting it into words.

But yeah, you're not alone.

I'm part way through the third book in the Farseer Trilogy, Assassin's Quest, and I am enjoying it. The take on magic is interesting, and I like that Fitz is deeply flawed, though I have a feeling he's going to end up triumphant in the end.

I will say, I'm not enjoying the third book as much because
Fitz is currently separated from the characters I care about, Burrich, Molly, Chade, Ketricken, and Patience. Again, I have a strong feeling I'll "see" those characters again, soon, but it is a bit frustrating.

Wow, you are on a tight schedule!

It's like your avatar is laughing at me. I'll get it done I swear! When's the new season start, April 12? Well, I have to finish by April 10th then because Daredevil comes out and no reading is getting done once that show drops

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would say McCarthy's prose is better described as "dense".

Nymerio

I read the Farseer and the Tawny Man Trilogy and enjoyed all the books, I'm actually thinking about reading the Liveship Traders books.

Dresden

I would say McCarthy's prose is better described as "dense".

I think that's true for his early novels, of which BM is the last. The Pretty Horses era McCarthy was very loose without the baroque excesses of Meridian, and The Road/No Country McCarthy is very spare, though it has its moments. Mainly with The Road. Down with No Country.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was referring to The Road, actually, since that's the only thing of his I've read! I didn't realize he shifted so much between his earlier works and later works.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Blood Meridian is my favourite book, and still the only book where getting super baked actually helped with the flow of everything. Very fever-dream-esque.

Love Cormac. But yeah, The Road is very accessible. I really want to read Blood Meridian... I got kind of stuck on The Crossing, just I jumped right into it after All the Pretty Horses, and it felt like I was still reading the same book.

Just jumped into Che's Bolivian Diary. It's his last written work... I'm excited. Hopefully I won't be too forlorn after I finish it.

Althane

Just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.

13521459.jpg

I can only really recommend it if you have read the earlier third law trilogy as even though it would be good on its own you would be missing out on all of the laughing in sheer delight callbacks to the earlier stories.

Next up is some Agatha Christie. I've never read anything of hers but a friend has loaned me some Poirot so I'll give them a go.

For those wondering, the current First Law series looks like:

First Law Trilogy:
The Blade Itself ("The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.")
Before They Are Hanged ("We must forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged.")
The Last Argument of Kings ("Ultima Ratio Regum")

Stand-Alone:
Best Served Cold ("Revenge is a dish best served cold")
The Heroes (No quote)
Red Country (No quote)

The stand alone novels all come after the Trilogy, and there is at least one distinct storyline that is followed throughout the three, so I would recommend reading them in the order posted. The Trilogy should be read first in all cases, though. The stand alone novels will have massive spoilers for it.

Can i add this thread somehow to an ignorelist till i have finished my list? ....

Having cought up on The Walking Dead series recently, i started to think if there is good a book/book series that is similar. Can be survival/postapocalyptic/zombie/alien/TLOU whatever.
I know that the Road is going to burn out my soul reading it (watched the movie). Already have read World War Z (was entertaining).
I mean, looking at my list of books gathered from this thread, i'm probably not going to start something like this in 2015 but it would be good to know if there are any good ones, so i can add them to the pile.

My favourites in the genre are:

Charlie Higson - The Enemy series (they're YA, they're about kids, but don't let that put you off, they're superb)
Monster Island/Nation/Planet - David Wellington (you can buy these or read them FREE on his website)

Krowley

Good to know! I wouldn't call Blood Meridian florid, exactly, but it's complex enough to not be an easy read. From memory, that's mostly down to unusual punctuation choices, the occasional dictionary word, some complex nesting sentence structures (including one nutbars sentence that goes for more than a page, describing the Comanche), and so on. It definitely takes a certain amount of concentration and thought to actually read.

I like his style in The Road more than Blood Meridian. It's more intimate and draws you closer to the characters. The writing quickly becomes invisible.

I haven't read all his books, but I thought Blood Meridian was especially flowery, and also very distant from the characters. Long stretches of the book are written so it feels like you're watching things happen from 1000 feet away through a set of binoculars. That's definitely not the case in all his early works.

Of course, with all the horrible shit going on in Blood Meridan I guess it would have been damn near unreadable if he had chosen a more intimate perspective.

Trilogy spoilers:
Fitz spends most of the trilogy not doing anything to anyone. Events happen around him, but rarely at his hand.

I feel like I always end up saying this when someone starts reading these books, BUT...I've never retroactively hated a series more than this and the following trilogy. Robin Hobb writes the same monotonous crap over and over and over again, and the characters are all shit by the end. Especially Fitz.

Save yourself the trauma and quit while you're ahead. I've never disliked a fantasy series more once I finished and sat down to think about what I'd read.
Well that's disappointing, I'm starting World War Z to take a break from fantasy genre.
It's like your avatar is laughing at me. I'll get it done I swear! When's the new season start, April 12? Well, I have to finish by April 10th then because Daredevil comes out and no reading is getting done once that show drops
Good luck!

KidDork

I like his style in The Road more than Blood Meridian. It's more intimate and draws you closer to the characters. The writing quickly becomes invisible.

Nicely put. I'd recommend The Road to anyone. The only other book in recent memory I found almost as powerful was Wolf In White Van. Both left me a little shell shocked for a few days afterward.

huxley00

Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go. Windam recommended it to me ages ago, but I always struggled to get through it thanks to whatever distractions. Started again tonight. Maybe I'll manage this time.

The last 1/5th of the book really makes the rest of the story, try to finish!

I have almost exactly the same feeling about it. I read the Liveship books first, and found them pretty decent, then the Assassin books, and by the end of that trilogy just retroactively hated everything. I was trying to explain why to Mumei and had a really hard time putting it into words.

But yeah, you're not alone.

Amen! I saw Hobb get a lot of love in previous threads, checked out the reviews, and read until I was bored to sleep every night. I quit halfway through the second book in the Apprentice series.

Finished

The Blood Crows - Simon Scarrow

17935573.jpg

Next

Brothers in Blood - Simon Scarrow

23008365.jpg

Beginning to wish he'd get back to the story... I want Macro & Cato up to their eyes in the year of the 4 Emperors, and backing Vespasian of course ...

Kup

Thought I'd finally post in this thread as I bought myself a Kindle (just the bare bones edition). I've never been a big reader, but had a change of heart recently. I read Jurassic Park followed by The Lost World this month. And I just finished reading the first of the Resident Evil novels (it's basically the original video game in book form). It's the first time in my life I have read three books back to back. I have discovered I enjoy reading books based on things like films, video games or TV series I have enjoyed as it's easier for me to relate to and enjoy them.

Any recommendations of good film / TV series / video games books to read? I think I will try the rest of the Resident Evil books... maybe Gears of War. I have read the Mass Effect ones and thought maybe the Alien books were worth trying...

Thought I'd finally post in this thread as I bought myself a Kindle (just the bare bones edition). I've never been a big reader, but had a change of heart recently. I read Jurassic Park followed by The Lost World this month. And I just finished reading the first of the Resident Evil novels (it's basically the original video game in book form). It's the first time in my life I have read three books back to back. I have discovered I enjoy reading books based on things like films, video games or TV series I have enjoyed as it's easier for me to relate to and enjoy them.

Any recommendations of good film / TV series / video games books to read? I think I will try the rest of the Resident Evil books... maybe Gears of War. I have read the Mass Effect ones and thought maybe the Alien books were worth trying...
Kindle is one of my most satisfying electronics purchase I've ever made.

Mass Effect is a great choice, but skip Mass Effect: Deception, it's a mess. The author didn't do his homework, and made lore mistakes, plot also made no sense, full of inconsistencies. I enjoy Halo's mainline novels too, save Halo: The Flood(written by the same author who wrote ME: Deception), reading it was exhausting, and not in a good way.

Star Wars expanded universe was massive, though declared non-canon by Disney, some are still worth looking into, for example Darth Bane's trilogy is pretty good (that person's existence is canon by the way, but not sure about the story).

Kup

Kindle is one of my most satisfying electronics purchase I've ever made.

Mass Effect is a great choice, but skip Mass Effect: Deception, it's a mess. The author didn't do his homework, and made lore mistakes, plot also made no sense, full of inconsistencies. I enjoy Halo's mainline novels too, save Halo: The Flood(written by the same author who wrote ME: Deception), reading it was exhausting, and not in a good way.

Star Wars expanded universe was massive, though declared non-canon by Disney, some are still worth looking into, for example Darth Bane's trilogy is pretty good.

Yes, I agree about Mass Effect: Deception, but I managed to finish it in the end just because. Good call about the Halo books, I do enjoy that universe, probably more than playing in it! I can't say I'm the biggest Star Wars though, so I will likely skip those. Don't hate me.

After struggling to get through the fourth book of The Dresden Files I think I'm done with the series. It's not that I really dislike it, I just get bored while reading it. It largely feels like paint by numbers or very formulaic. With this fourth one especially. It never seemed even important to remember any of the characters. You pretty much meet everyone once and then it gets down to the ending and some people you hopefully remember the names of get revealed to be behind everything. Then nothing really comes out of a large aspect of the first half of the book. I'm just not sure I'm interested enough to continue the series.

Yes, I agree about Mass Effect: Deception, but I managed to finish it in the end just because. Good call about the Halo books, I do enjoy that universe, probably more than playing in it! I can't say I'm the biggest Star Wars though, so I will likely skip those. Don't hate me.
In that case, read Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: First Strike, Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, all of them by Eric Nylund, and Halo: Glasslands(written by a different person, part of a new trilogy, set around Halo 4) follows them. I've only read the first one from the new trilogy, not sure about the quality of the later two. Rest can be skipped.

Kup

In that case, read Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: First Strike, Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, all of them by Eric Nylund, and Halo: Glasslands(written by a different person, part of a new trilogy, set around Halo 4) follows them. I've only read the first one from the new trilogy, not sure about the quality of the later two. Rest can be skipped.

Thanks, I'll add them to my Amazon Wishlist so I remember.

Top Bottom