• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Trey

I just finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, and I loved it!

22733729.jpg

If you're looking for a space-opera with a character driven story (and amazing characters at that) with an adventure on a wormhole-tunneling spaceship crewed by multiple different alien species, then I highly recommend this book. Think Firefly, with some Mass Effect (although this is a civilian and unarmed spaceship, not a warship). Wonderful world building too in my opinion.

Putting this on my list.

Cade

I just finished The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, and I loved it!

22733729.jpg

If you're looking for a space-opera with a character driven story (and amazing characters at that) with an adventure on a wormhole-tunneling spaceship crewed by multiple different alien species, then I highly recommend this book. Think Firefly, with some Mass Effect (although this is a civilian and unarmed spaceship, not a warship). Wonderful world building too in my opinion.
This sounds so far up my alley it's almost out of my alley again.

Wish I could go back and re-read Dick like I did back in the day. I read so many of them that I've lost track if there's any books that I haven't read. Could very well be that I've read them all but there are some I'm not sure about. Don't think I've read The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike, but I'm not sure.

A Scanner Darkly, Ubik, Time Out of Joint, The Divine Invasion, VALIS and The Man in the High Castle are all great works of fiction.
Yeah, he's great and his works are so varied from what I've read so far.

I'm finishing up the Farseer Trilogy with Assassin's Quest, and still reading 1984. These snow days aren't helping my class get through the book very quickly, either.

I've never been that big on high fantasy, but I liked the Song of Ice and Fire series and now the Farseer Trilogy. Maybe my tastes are changing.
I don't see ASOIAF as high fantasy, it's pretty ground for the most part, magic being portrayed as a mysterious, subtle but a powerful force of nature is pretty great, never straight in your face. Right now I'm on the first book of the Farseer trilogy, I like it so far, but not as much as the Ice and Fire books.

I'm glad I found this thread, by the way.

bengraven

I don't see ASOIAF as high fantasy, it's pretty ground for the most part, magic being portrayed as a mysterious, subtle but a powerful force of nature is pretty great, never straight in your face. Right now I'm on the first book of the Farseer trilogy, I like it so far, but not as much as the Ice and Fire books.

I'm glad I found this thread, by the way.

Yeah, Ice and Fire is the very definition of low fantasy. It does occasionally tip towards the high when describing the situation in the north and dragons, but considering those are taken as parts of the world and not generated by magic, then you would have to say low.

Do you guys even play games?
Yeah, Ice and Fire is the very definition of low fantasy. It does occasionally tip towards the high when describing the situation in the north and dragons, but considering those are taken as parts of the world and not generated by magic, then you would have to say low.
With magic slowly returning to the world, I'd say the last two books are going to lean more towards high fantasy, if they come out at all.

Finally reading Dune, or trying to at least. It's difficult. Right away there's like 20 new terms/lore items that are confusing me as if I'm supposed to know what the fuck...throw me a bone, Frank.
You can finish the book without ever looking up Wikipedia, and still get nearly all of the terms. Names of people, houses, places are easy, just take them as they are, from the screenshots you took, some of them were immediately explained. Special objects takes time, because you need to piece the information together when the they are utilized in the book, and sometimes they have multiple functions.

Necrovex

Devoured the last half of Time Traveler's Wife today. A really solid book with only a few bores for some segments. I'd recommend anyone with a slight interest in reading it. 4/5

I'll probably start on Gaf's beloved, The Martian next. Then maybe I'll begin my (re)read on the Harry Potter series.

Mumei

You can finish the book without ever looking up Wikipedia, and still get nearly all of the terms. Names of people, houses, places are easy, just take them as they are, from the screenshots you took, some of them were immediately explained. Special objects takes time, because you need to piece the information together when the they are utilized in the book, and sometimes they have multiple functions.

There's also the glossary in the back.

That 'bleak apocalypse' thread inspired me to buy I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Can't believe its $8ish though. Seems like a really short story. Oh well, as long as its good.

Right now I'm on the first book of the Farseer trilogy

Sorry to hear that. ;) I even read all Farseer books but never enjoyed them thaaaat much. Fitz is a pretty poor 'hero' in my opinion. I just couldn't stand his crying anymore at some point. Seriously, he's the prototype of an Emo.

After reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archives and Reckoners I finally started with his Mistborn series. Don't know why I ignored Sanderson for so long.

mu cephei

That 'bleak apocalypse' thread inspired me to buy I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Can't believe its $8ish though. Seems like a really short story. Oh well, as long as its good.

Yes, there's lots of stuff in that thread that sounds great and I'm going to be looking up. And I just checked, and 'I Have No Mouth...' is in the Harlan Ellison book in the Humble Bundle I just bought :D

greatgeek

Banned
Currently working through GRRM's:
GeorgeRRMartin_Dreamsongs.jpg

Afterwards,I'll be reading Dying of the Light and Tuff Voyaging. I might then revisit ASoIaF/Dunk and Egg.

VanWinkle

Sorry to hear that. ;) I even read all Farseer books but never enjoyed them thaaaat much. Fitz is a pretty poor 'hero' in my opinion. I just couldn't stand his crying anymore at some point. Seriously, he's the prototype of an Emo.

After reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archives and Reckoners I finally started with his Mistborn series. Don't know why I ignored Sanderson for so long.

Mistborn was amazing. Probably my favorite trilogy ever. And The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are my favorite books, so I'm just a huge Sanderson fan, lol.

Starting this one:

KidDork

WoT04_TheShadowRising.jpg

I've started this, even though I was lukewarm on the first three books. My father in law bought me the first ten books because he knew I enjoyed fantasy, so he thought this would be a sure thing with me. It has swords! And magic! That moron who married my daughter will love it!

I'm only about a 100 pages in, and my teeth aren't grating as much as they usually do with Robert Jordan, so I'm not sure if the quality of writing has improved or I'm simply experiencing some form of authorial Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm also finishing up the first Sword Art Online light novel, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. The author knows how to move a story along. Unlike some other authors I could name.

Mumei

WoT04_TheShadowRising.jpg

I've started this, even though I was lukewarm on the first three books. My father in law bought me the first ten books because he knew I enjoyed fantasy, so he thought this would be a sure thing with me. It has swords! And magic! That moron who married my daughter will love it!

I'm only about a 100 pages in, and my teeth aren't grating as much as they usually do with Robert Jordan, so I'm not sure if the quality of writing has improved or I'm simply experiencing some form of authorial Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm also finishing up the first Sword Art Online light novel, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. The author knows how to move a story along. Unlike some other authors I could name.

It's this, but you should just go with it anyway.

There's also the glossary in the back.
Oh yeah, hehe, totally forgot. But constantly jumping back forth on a kindle would be very tiring.

You know what, if Assassin's Apprentice still fails to attract me at the end of the book, I'm going to make the jump to Mistborn.

Devoured the last half of Time Traveler's Wife today. A really solid book with only a few bores for some segments. I'd recommend anyone with a slight interest in reading it. 4/5

I'll probably start on Gaf's beloved, The Martian next. Then maybe I'll begin my (re)read on the Harry Potter series.

Okay, we're good again. :)

Nymerio

Finished the Goblin Emperor yesterday evening. Great, great book. Bit of a slow start but I ended up giving it 5 stars.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm currently reading Strategic Applications of Named Reactions in Organic Synthesis by Lászlo Kürti and Barbara Czakó.

41yoGaJjN3L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't even do organic chemistry; I work with cells, DNA, and proteins. Kill me, GAF.

Woohoo!

Yeah, the beginning can be a bit slow to catch on, especially with all the names and words to keep track of and/or figure out. Glad you liked it. :D

Goblin Emperor, huh? Color me intrigued. I'm also still looking for more practical male leads that get damaged in exciting ways, Cyan...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Goblin Emperor, huh? Color me intrigued. I'm also still looking for more practical male leads that get damaged in exciting ways, Cyan...

Seems like this thread is now about Goblin Emperor. Added it to my "to buy"-list. Will get there, eventually.

The Martian is the other book from this thread that I'm planning on picking up shortly.

Seems like this thread is now about Goblin Emperor. Added it to my "to buy"-list. Will get there, eventually.

The Martian is the other book from this thread that I'm planning on picking up shortly.

Always looking to fill the hole left by Felix Castor, Ramses Emerson, and Dick Francis leads~

I'll probably just snap it up for a nice weekend read. It does sound fun. :)

Nymerio

Woohoo!

Yeah, the beginning can be a bit slow to catch on, especially with all the names and words to keep track of and/or figure out. Glad you liked it. :D

Any chance that you have a recommendation for something similar? I really liked the intrigues and I'd be down to read something along the same lines.

And a question about the book: Did I just not pay enough attention or did the author not bother to describe what was so special about the clock Maia got as a gift? I think it was mentioned twice how unusual it is and Maia even stopped to look at it...

Ratrat

Currently working through GRRM's:
GeorgeRRMartin_Dreamsongs.jpg

Afterwards,I'll be reading Dying of the Light and Tuff Voyaging. I might then revisit ASoIaF/Dunk and Egg.

This was so disappointing. You should read Fevre Dream or Armageddon Rag instead. On the other hand, Dunk and Egg is fantastic and Tuf Voyaging is one of the best things he's ever written.

Nymerio

Starting this one:

Just read this because I didn't find anything else and the cover caught my eye. Fun read. What I like about this short story is, that it doesn't spell everything out and that it lets you wonder about the world it's set in. The Forest sounds intriguing and I do wonder what happened that they had to move to such a place.

VanWinkle

Just read this because I didn't find anything else and the cover caught my eye. Fun read. What I like about this short story is, that it doesn't spell everything out and that it lets you wonder about the world it's set in. The Forest sounds intriguing and I do wonder what happened that they had to move to such a place.

I kind of wish it was part of a bigger series, because the world and character are really interesting. Very good, though.

ngower

Alright, I finally finished Ready Player One (I know I've made like five posts in here talking about it...) and overall it wasn't bad. I do wish it had been a little deeper or more nuanced and didn't feel so obvious. Like, the appeal of the games and movies and whatever else it references is that you use your imagination and sorta lose yourself in a world for some time. There wasn't a similar depth to this story, and it felt very shallow. I still enjoyed it overall, but just wish there was more. Hopefully the rumored sequel and film will streamline some of the story.

Onto Colorless Tsukuru tomorrow and will probably tackle some of Storm of Swords until one of my holds comes through.

VanWinkle

Alright, I decided to try getting back into The Name of the Wind again. Don't know why I had trouble getting into it. I'm really loving it now. Only 10% in, but it's awesome.

Krowley

I thought the first few chapters, the ones in third person, were less effective. Once it switches to first person, it really comes to life.

steadfast

I'm working through it now. It starts out really promising but quickly gets mired in its own referential nonsense. I'm hoping it picks up again towards the end, but the middle chunk is (for me) quite a chore.

It only gets sillier and more referential.

Jintor

Scanner Darkly was really, really good

now reading some gilded age thing about murder and yellow journalism. pretty interesting.

Necrovex

I am only a tenth of the way through Martian but I'm digging the tech aspect along with the humor. Looking forward in tackling it!

Mumei

Mumei is going to have a literary orgasm when he sees your post. But yes, it's a fantastic book.

ib2xYFa1iRCuHq.gif

;)

I finished Cry, the Beloved Country today. I meant to finish it earlier but I got distracted by things like work and clothes shopping and comics and stuff. It was beautiful.

Dandy Crocodile, I didn't even know she had another book out!

Top Bottom