• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life Itself A touching tribute to a legendary man. The suction stuff was pretty uncomfortable to watch, glad they didn't hold back. Also loved the behind the scenes footage of Siskel and Ebert pissing each other off. A great documentary.

Ridley327

I really don't think it's possible for me to sit through A Hard Day's Night without grinning like an idiot the entire way through. The whole film is such a joy to watch from beginning to end.

Toothless

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel has a lot missed potential, but does that make a bad movie? No, not really. It's predictable, but is that really a flaw? Nope. It only slightly worked as a comedy, so when the second half went full on melodrama, I actually really really enjoyed it. Charming film. I guess movies about old people really do work well on me.

UrbanRats

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie.
It came out either last year or in 2013, and it was about this girl/woman in her 20s doing some nasty shit.
The trailer was all over youtube for a while, so it should be pretty popular, but i can't remember the name.

I think the plot involved her going to the hospital and meeting a guy at some point, too.

And no, it wasn't Excision, though i guess it had a few similarities with girl + gross stuff theme (though nothing gore related in this).

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie.
It came out either last year or in 2013, and it was about this girl/woman in her 20s doing some nasty shit.
The trailer was all over youtube for a while, so it should be pretty popular, but i can't remember the name.

I think the plot involved her going to the hospital and meeting a guy at some point, too.

And no, it wasn't Excision, though i guess it had a few similarities with girl + gross stuff theme (though nothing gore related in this).

I think I remember what you're talking about. GImme a minute

burgervan

Life Itself A touching tribute to a legendary man. The suction stuff was pretty uncomfortable to watch, glad they didn't hold back. Also loved the behind the scenes footage of Siskel and Ebert pissing each other off. A great documentary.

I thought it was pretty middle-of-the-road. I'm glad I saw it because I like Ebert, but I can't imagine ever watching it again.

big ander

Wetlands is a ton of fun. It reduces Helen's psychology a bit too much, ultimately, but it's still an explosive character study that legitimately challenges with the anti-hygiene. as opposed to run-of-the-mill indie dramedies with "challenging" leads who are just annoying neurotics. Funny too.

Kingsman: Secret Service - Saw it with my first date in years, so I was more focused on making a good impression. However, I enjoyed the movie as well. It was pretty good, but not great.

The date didn't end up sparking anything, though, so the movie is all I want to remember. The girl ended up being a master of head games.

Solo - I've been wanting to watch a good horror movie for a while, but have seen most of the classics. And this one ended up being Canadian, with an actress I like from Degrassi in it.

Overall, it wasn't anything special or anything to write home about, or a particularly good movie, but it was entertaining enough. The story was a bit weird, though.

They were out in the middle of nowhere, at a summer camp. However, the owner of the camp was supposedly selling its remote island getaway spot to a developer? Maybe even the camp itself? It seemed quite secluded.

zoukka

Chappie was fun the first 30 minutes and the ensuing Die Antwoord music video/disney sentimental crap/mindless blowing shit up sucked ass and made it shit.

Avoid this movie.

Trey

Reeve's attempt at a southern dialect in The Devil's Advocate has to be an all time worst take on an accent, right? Cuz, damn. It would pop up randomly, and when it did...

i still really like that movie. but yeah reeves is shit with accents. but that aint even close to his worst

look at winona giving him that "this fool serious right now?" look

oh my god

UrbanRats

i still really like that movie. but yeah reeves is shit with accents. but that aint even close to his worst

look at winona giving him that "this fool serious right now?" look

A classic.
Coppola's Dracula is both awful fun, and legit fun.

I struggle to think of an horror movie that had better monster make up, it had some fun visuals, and that soundtrack was great; i feel like they really didn't take Bram Stoker's Dracula seriously since, which is a shame.

I'd like to see a modern, non-ironic take on the book, without CGi super hero Dracula or other gimmicks of sorts.
I guess Penny Dreadful tapped into that sphere somewhat.

No matter how wacky and dated the story is, you can still take it seriously i think, without feeling the need to apply some twist on it.

it was a nice looking film, particularly the design aesthetic. but good lord talk about shitting the bed on some of the casting.

it's certainly worth watching once though no doubt. and yeah i wouldn't mind somebody taking another crack at an adaptation of the book again. no twists or changes, just as is.

impact

Banned
watched Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

probably my second favorite Fincher film after The Game. My only complaint was Daniel Craig literally could've been replaced by any other decent actor and the outcome would've been the same or better. He was just... meh in an otherwise good film.

UrbanRats

it was a nice looking film, particularly the design aesthetic. but good lord talk about shitting the bed on some of the casting.

it's certainly worth watching once though no doubt.

Yeah i agree, and a bunch of scenes i think went a on the wacky side too much, even visually.
Like when Dracula pops into Harker getting it on with the three lady vampires, the blue smoke behind him is a little much.
But like, the battle at the start mimicking a shadow play, that's good stuff.
It's a cheesy movie, but in a good way, and it takes itself seriously enough to not be annoying.

Grinchy

Banned
I got around to watching Prometheus tonight. I love sci-fi movies, so that helped me not hate the movie but I didn't like it. I'm annoyed by the direction it took. Keeping everything as vague as possible under the guise that there is some kind of deep storytelling going on is frustrating. I couldn't figure out most of the character motivations throughout the film, so I looked it up. The theories people were writing about were so arbitrary. It's almost like the people who made the movie weren't sure of what was really going on either.

I just came away from the movie wishing it told a more direct story.

Anyone in UK tried Curzon Home Cinema? How is the quality? Is it a stream like Netflix? Might think of renting Duke of Burgundy like that.

https://www.curzonhomecinema.com/

EDIT: Couldn't resist, rented and watching now.
ifrh8PItnDV7a.jpg

Quality is pretty good.

I thought it was pretty middle-of-the-road. I'm glad I saw it because I like Ebert, but I can't imagine ever watching it again.

I mean it wasn't groundbreaking and I've seen way better documentaries, but I thought it was good. It also introduced me to the greatness of I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen.

lordxar

I got around to watching Prometheus tonight. I love sci-fi movies, so that helped me not hate the movie but I didn't like it. I'm annoyed by the direction it took. Keeping everything as vague as possible under the guise that there is some kind of deep storytelling going on is frustrating. I couldn't figure out most of the character motivations throughout the film, so I looked it up. The theories people were writing about were so arbitrary. It's almost like the people who made the movie weren't sure of what was really going on either.

I just came away from the movie wishing it told a more direct story.

That's because Ridley butchered the shit out of an Alien prequel. Good movie but awful at the same time...

http://screenrant.com/prometheus-story-alien-engineers/

iIv307ylYf9jV.jpg

Duke of Burgundy
Oh, if we could all just say 'pinastri' to end our torments.

Really beautiful film. Nic Knowland's cinematography (just watch this for that), Greg Fisher's color grading, and Cat's Eyes' score makes for a very sumptuous watch. The woman-only world here makes for quite a refreshing background. I liked that you couldn't quite tell the time period, maybe 60s going by the fashion and lack of technology. Sidse's and Chiara's subdued acting in hushed tones is soothing.

It's a cautionary tale about when love can get dictated by rules and the obsession to stick by them.
i9LDmn2iVlyQc.gif

As true to many sub/dom relationships, the submissive is more in command and places demands on the dominant such as Evelyn's specific hand-written notes or directorial-like cues but it becomes problematic when it feels more like a job than just spicing up your life. Cynthia has to pace herself as if she's about to perform. This is a theatrical drug to Evelyn that Cynthia has to deliver. As conveyed by the many mirror and kaleidoscopic shots, it's a reflection on waning relationships when both parties are out of sync on what they want. The slowing down ties well with the autumnal time and discussion on butterfly hibernation. There are plenty of surprises such as a couple of unsettling moments (par for course with Peter Strickland's previous movie
omg those mannequins!!!
) and how it doesn't go all tragic as expected.

Oh and it's very hot ;) If pantyhose, legs/feet, stockings, or rope is at all your thing...

Appropriate Behaviour
So, went out and saw this at Curzon Soho. At first I was ehhh but then at the end I was ohhh!

It seemed like a typical post-breakup life crisis movie (w/ 500 Days of Summer-like flashbacks) but with a Persian bisexual framework to it. There are unique moments that framework brings, the dialogue can be funny, there are memorable moments, but that's standard for many indie life crisis romcoms. However, there was something more interesting than Shireen's relationship with sex, parents, and work.

It was more honest to life than most movies. Things get left unresolved, there is unexpected awkwardness, but things change and you're still making the most of it. You're moving on. You're still here, surviving. At first, I found the ending unsatisfying, but then I realised that was kind of the point.
Ever since I heard about this on NPR and I've been really looking forward to see it. Can't freaking wait.

Ever since I heard about this on NPR and I've been really looking forward to see it. Can't freaking wait.
The New York slightly hipster sex and the city and Girls comparisons in reviews put me off before booking it, but something about the troubled life of a bisexual interested me. Glad I got past my bias.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Frederick Wiseman's The Store was hypnotic, a documentary about an American mega-luxury store (Neiman-Marcus? didnt get the name right I believe) filmed with such a neutral, ice cold style I was enthralled for the entire duration. Not sure about the message, if any (empty eyes behind all the 45K jackets and furs meaning America's supermarket culture being a shallow illusion?), but surely it was a top notch watching. First time I see a Wiseman movie, will make sure to watch his other efforts if I can get my hands on them

Blader

Truffaut-GAF: The Last Metro or The Soft Skin?

I'm letting my Hulu Plus expire next week and I want to prioritize some things on my queue to get in before then.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Truffaut-GAF: The Last Metro or The Soft Skin?

I'm letting my Hulu Plus expire next week and I want to prioritize some things on my queue to get in before then.

in my opinion, The Last Metro is a true masterpiece, hasn't aged a day. The Soft Skin is quite dated stylistically, so I'd go for the former most definitely

Far as I can tell, people review the last 90 seconds of Spielberg's WotW, as opposed to the film. It honestly feels like everytime somebody shits on that film, they forgot about the two hours prior to those last 90 seconds. Or they only remember 5 seconds of Dakota Fanning screaming.

First hour is great, second hour is alright.

I had some time to kill in New York so I caught Maps to the Stars over at IFC today. I really dug it. The acting is top notch from everyone, notably Julianne Moore and Mia Wasikowska. Great to see Cusack in an intense roll. Would've liked to see more Pattinson since he's been unstoppable lately. The humor and the digs at Hollywood types were rigt up my alley. 8/10

Also caught Edge of Tomorrow the other day. It was a lot better than the trailers let on. Emily Blunt is awesome and Cruise is good enough in it. Loved the beginning although the end fell into typical action stuff. Better than expected though. 6/10

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally watched Under the Skin. Wow, this was stunning; I was transfixed the entire time.

JTripper

Saw Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt last night. I thought it was really good, comparable to his later films in terms of cinematic quality and story. Probably my favorite so far of his pre-50s films along with The 39 Steps.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Nothing short of a masterpiece. Not just one of the greatest animated films I've ever seen, but I believe it stands next to a film like Kwaidan, as one of Japan's greatest films about folktales. An incredible accomplishment, and if it's to be Isao Takahata's last film (most likely), then what a way to end a career.

hugocésar;155041351 said:

Nothing short of a masterpiece. Not just one of the greatest animated films I've ever seen, but I believe it stands next to a film like Kwaidan, as one of Japan's greatest films about folktales. An incredible accomplishment, and if it's to be Isao Takahata's last film (most likely), then what a way to end a career.

I absolutely agree :)

I'll also have to check out Kwaidan sometime, so thanks for that!

Ridley327

Franco Nero makes it look so easy in Django, effortlessly embodying the title character with an impeccable level of swagger that few actors could manage as well. Sergio Corbucci must've known what kind of magnetism he was dealing with, opting to shoot Nero in close-up in most instances and letting the actor do the rest. No matter what he's doing, be it dragging a coffin through a muddy, nearly dead town or playing a card game, he manages to make it look so cool, all through a simple glare at the camera.

That's why it's a shame that the rest of the film is so messy in comparison, as Django feels a bit like someone rambling on and on about stuff they wanted to see in a western, rather than feeling like it was written and assembled like a normal script. Just when you think it's going to reveal some kind of grander plot, it wanders off and seems to forget about events that transpire earlier on in the film, particularly in the case of the on-again/off-again racism of a villain. Nothing makes a film feel longer than it actually is when you can tell that it's not sure of what it wants to do, and Django suffers greatly for it.

The film does have more going for it than Nero, though, which does ultimately help it come out ahead of its grievous narrative issues. Corbucci has a good eye for framing beyond pointing at Nero's visage, particularly in the more graphic moments. Luis Bacalov does a rather fine job with the score beyond the ridiculously catchy theme song, trying on a lot of hats without each track feeling too dissimilar from one another. The atmosphere is also quite thick and palpable, thanks to a more realistic setting that feels lived in and, more importantly, long abandoned by those with a bit more sense to get involved. And even though it never amounts to much more than people talking about it rather than being properly addressed, I did like how the film cared enough about the racism involved with a lot of the fighting between the US and Mexico to at least mention it. All in all, the script issues prevent it from being a true western classic, but even one stare-down from Franco Nero is enough to make me forget about them for just a little bit.

Toothless

The way I view Chappie is if the Ninja character was played by someone else, it would've been a legitimately great movie. He really brings the movie down though with his poor acting that makes a character that could be a scene-stealer just obnoxious. Everything else was good though. Patel and Jackman both had fun with their parts and Copley and the digital effects make Chappie a legitimately lovable character. There's a lot of heart here, and I especially loved the third act, where Blomkamp started taking some real risks that paid off well enough for me. A huge improvement from Elysium (which I thought was awful,) and a very good movie in general. Definitely worth a watch.

Wages of Fear was intense. It has a slow, and kind of bizarre build up, but it does a good job of setting up the characters. But once you get those guys in the trucks with the nitroglycerine, the film never lets up. It manages to have constant nail biting scenes in which things go really, really slowly, and the film just gets darker and more nihilistic all the way to its amazing conclusion. Highly recommended.

Compulsion was a bit of a surprise for me. Quite enjoyable film, and absolutely worth it just for Orson Welles going HAM in the courtroom at the end. It teeters on cheese at a times such as the opening when the title hits with this goofy font over maniacal laughter:
But there's some very good drama in here, and anyone interested in the Leopold and Loeb case should watch this as it's very (although not entirely) true to the actual case, and there are a lot of amazing details that are actually true.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts on the film, although I'm perhaps not quite as forgiving of its flaws. There were certainly a lot of elements I liked, but it didn't really come together for me. Plus, the blu ray release I saw was terrible, as noise just overwhelms every image, distractingly so. The gray skies looked like they were filled with millions of gnats. Gross.

megamerican

The way I view Chappie is if the Ninja character was played by someone else, it would've been a legitimately great movie. He really brings the movie down though with his poor acting that makes a character that could be a scene-stealer just obnoxious. Everything else was good though. Patel and Jackman both had fun with their parts and Copley and the digital effects make Chappie a legitimately lovable character. There's a lot of heart here, and I especially loved the third act, where Blomkamp started taking some real risks that paid off well enough for me. A huge improvement from Elysium (which I thought was awful,) and a very good movie in general. Definitely worth a watch.

I actually was pleasantly surprised by Die Antwoord. For non actors they were credible despite some really rough dialogue, and they're both kind of fascinating to look at for some reason. I agree that Ninja's big scene shows that he is new to this stuff though. Could've used some work.

I thought it was about on par with Elysium. Elysium was better paced and had a much better climax sequence, but I cared far more about the characters in Chappie. Probably rate em both 7 out of 10

impact

Banned
Have you seen any other Fincher movies? Trying to figure out your rankings >.<

The Game > Dragon Tat2 > Gone Girl > Se7en > Fight Club > shit >>>>>>> Benjamin Button

Unorthodox I know, but I don't usually follow the "trends" with movies. I thought Grand Budapest was awful and that Interstellar/John Wick/Gone Girl got snubbed pretty bad.

The Game > Dragon Tat2 > Gone Girl > Se7en > Fight Club > shit >>>>>>> Benjamin Button

Unorthodox I know, but I don't usually follow the "trends" with movies. I thought Grand Budapest was awful and that Interstellar/John Wick/Gone Girl got snubbed pretty bad.

Breh.

Zodiac.

Nao.

hugocésar;155041351 said:

Saw the poster for it on the underground.
ibl0aUMtWk0HM7.jpg

Comes out here on the 20th, can't wait.

Down With Love - way funnier than I was expecting. Only problem was that I never really felt like i needed the two leads to get together by the end. i guess that's kinda a big flaw for a romcom, but it's fun enough that i can overlook it. The
revelation an 1:15:00 into the movie is incredible

Lethal Weapon - Dope. Great script, even though it's one of those movies that's been ripped off a bunch it's still really awesome

Armour of God - Jackie Chan doing Indiana Jones, uh fuck yea. Note to self - don't ever settle for watching dubs because jeeeeeeesus christ it took me until the car chases halfway through to get over them. the choreography is great and those final fight scenes are top tier stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom