• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Ratatouille is not about a gay rat.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ridley327

Wait, is What We Do in the Shadows available to stream? Really want to see it.

Sadly, their distributor is so small that they don't even have a VOD operation. The theatrical release it has is only because of a Kickstarter that just barely squeaked by.

overcast

Sadly, their distributor is so small that they don't even have a VOD operation. The theatrical release it has is only because of a Kickstarter that just barely squeaked by.
Damn, i can see if it's playing this weekend in LA. Might go for a double feature. That and It Follows maybe.

La caja 507 (Box 507) works pretty well, but, without delivery, it keeps hinting at the possibility of the protagonist bank manager getting himself blackmailed once either the press or the mafia know how the papers landed in his possession. A plot idea as rich as that shouldn't be ignored, especially since it would allow for more parallels with the former police chief's downfall; already they're compared through matching cuts and the same desire for control, whether broadly or down to smaller details. But Urbizu I suppose ignores this in order to set up a happy ending where I'm supposed to believe the winner's gotten away scot-free. The moment the papers are ceded to a Swiss bank, I figured that would be the ending. Just as the vista from this bank's office is wallpaper, the marriages between man and woman only looks nice on the outside, personal matters aggravating both spouses and only interrupted upon death or disablement. Avenging honor motivates all participants in this story, reaching tragedy in sequences like the expedition to Morocco or the visit with a retired fireman on property he barely owns. Ending this anticlimactically, in relation to premises the movie explores before dropping, means I have to knock it down a star, a shame because it's expertly paced with some humorous, even ruthless editing. ***/*****

overcast

What are your favorite Jarmusch flicks? I've only seen Ghost Dog and Dead Man.

Dead Man really stuck out to me as a teen, loved it.

Window

What are your favorite Jarmusch flicks? I've only seen Ghost Dog and Dead Man.

Dead Man really stuck out to me as a teen, loved it.

Dead Man and Stranger than Paradise. I quite enjoyed Only Lovers Left Alive as well but I found the Hiddleston's character's existential crisis/sulking and ideas about the world to be a bit empty (or maybe that's the point). I still don't know what to make of Down by Law. Broken Flowers was all right.

big ander

Liked It Follows, ***1/2. It's a ton of fun on a technical and conceptual level as Mitchell pans in circles or zooms slowly or gives the frame just the right amount of negative space. And it's fairly accomplished at capturing the death of suburban innocence without dating itself or being corny. The knotty view of sex is hard to shake however, and the dynamic of the friend group taken for granted just a bit.

overcast

I'll check out Broken Flowers, Down By Law, Stranger Than Paradise, and Only Lovers in that case.

You watch It Follows at the Silent Theater Ander?

MikeMyers

The Circus (Charlie Chaplin, 1928)

Starts off really fun, but I don't think it manages to keep that high level of energy consistently throughout the film. Some parts were kinda dull. Gonna rewatch City Lights soon, which I think is a blast all the way through.

The Circus (Charlie Chaplin, 1928)

Starts off really fun, but I don't think it manages to keep that high level of energy consistently throughout the film. Some parts were kinda dull. Gonna rewatch City Lights soon, which I think is a blast all the way through.

City Lights is so good! Check out Modern Times too if you're on a Chaplin kick.

big ander

I'll check out Broken Flowers, Down By Law, Stranger Than Paradise, and Only Lovers in that case.

You watch It Follows at the Silent Theater Ander?
Yup. Longest line I've seen at Cinefamily yet, which kinda surprised me for a genre movie that's going to be out in this city in 3 days.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The Quiet Man: 7/10. Straight racist. Can we please have one film where my people are not depicted as drunken brawlers?
Exodus: Gods and Kings: 5/10. As expected, pretty great battles and little else. Like, even the editing was bad. I mean who even notices editing? Only when it's terrible. Sigourney Weaver and Aaron Paul lllllllolololoollo.
All The Real Girls: 7/10. A little uneven, a lot of the comedy and a few dramatic scenes fell flat, but then a few cut to the bone. A legit performance from Zooey, wonder what happened to her. David Gordon Green is white, I honestly had no idea.

big ander

All The Real Girls: 7/10. A little uneven, a lot of the comedy and a few dramatic scenes fell flat, but then a few cut to the bone. A legit performance from Zooey, wonder what happened to her. David Gordon Green is white, I honestly had no idea.

I think she's seriously good in Elf and Hitchhiker's. And she's consistently hysterically go-for-broke on New Girl.

New Girl is a great sitcom, people.

UrbanRats

Wetlands - Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.
Right amount of funny and serious bits, and it's refreshing to see a movie with a "quirky" character, who isn't at the same time very much keeping one eye on the mirror, so to speak.
Really bad attempt to pass up a back knee for ass cheeks, tho.

Borgnine

BannableJC. Don't know why he keeps fucking with gaming side. Just when he thinks he's out they pull him back in.

I used a movie quote so this reply is on topic.

Pachimari

Wut, found out Shailene Woodley were less than a minute away from where I am now but I didn't notice her. One minute I tell ya. One minute. Shailene. Wutley.

ViewtifulJC is like that rebel character who's always in detention and would probably be a great student if he could just censor himself and put the leather jacket away.

The difference is that "detention" on GAF isn't 90 minutes of wacky 80s hijinks building to a bittersweet epiphany. You just disappear.

And I too recently saw Paper Moon thanks to whoever it was discussing it in one of these threads. Fantastic stuff. Off the charts chemistry. I also watched The Last Picture Show and What's Up, Doc? both of which were great. Peter Bogdanovich was on some kind of tear.

Borgnine

Again you call attention to the fact that there is no Paper Moon Blu-ray, I hope you burn in hell! I don't think I can wait any longer, going to have to rewatch soon.

big ander

I've only seen Paper Moon, The Last Picture Show and Targets but they're all excellent. Need to get back to his movies.
Wut, found out Shailene Woodley were less than a minute away from where I am now but I didn't notice her. One minute I tell ya. One minute. Shailene. Wutley.
arrrrh. Shailene is my new American crush
I thought she was granola-y and cool but then she said she didn't like Chicago much so BOOOO.

MikeMyers

The difference is that "detention" on GAF isn't 90 minutes of wacky 80s hijinks building to a bittersweet epiphany. You just disappear.

And I too recently saw Paper Moon thanks to whoever it was discussing it in one of these threads. Fantastic stuff. Off the charts chemistry. I also watched The Last Picture Show and What's Up, Doc? both of which were great. Peter Bogdanovich was on some kind of tear.
Isn't there some kind of allegation that his wife did those films for him? Either way, some great stuff there.

big ander

Isn't there some kind of allegation that his wife did those films for him? Either way, some great stuff there.

is there?? I can't find a thing. I knew she might have done uncredited writing on some of them, but I turned up nothing that said she secretly directed them for Bogdanovich full stop.

MikeMyers

Hmm, my High School Film Teacher told me that years ago. Looking it up though, I can't find anything to support that claim. I did notice that they divorced in 1971, but still worked together on What's Up Doc and Paper Moon afterwards. Must have been an awkward working experience.

Ridley327

The Boys from Brazil is kind of mesmerizing in how it manages to take an interesting story and a fully loaded cast of acting greats (and Steve Guttenberg, I guess) and proceeds to make it all so goddamned bad. It's impossible to be taken as serious as it wants to be, and it's never fun enough to be enjoyed as camp in spite of itself. I'd go on about how much this film sucked, but I fear I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of making some kind of Holocaust reference. So, exhibiting more restraint than either Gregory Peck or Laurence Olivier or that terrible fucking kid actor, I will just end this by stating that my life feels poorer for having seen this debacle.

Toothless

I absolutely loved Cinderella. Obviously the technical stuff such as sets and costumes were wonderful, but the script here is really good here in general, not just for a fairy tale movie. Both the Grand Duke and the Wicked Stepmother are three-dimensional characters, and even in the end, you feel bad for Lady Tremaine and the lot she was dealt in life, even though she is still utterly despicable. A lot of that is thanks to Blanchett's performance which is both hammy and grounded. Lily James and Richard Madden both become stars here, the former anchoring the movie with a optimism that makes Ella more than just a princess, a human being, and the latter who is appropriately charming but also has the best acting scene of the movie
with Derek Jacobi near the end of the film
. Branagh's direction is fantastic, and honestly, I can't really think how someone could remotely not find enjoyment in this movie. It's funny, heartfelt, and there's a lot of depth to it.

On Frozen Fever... it's kinda way too self-absorbed to be that enjoyable, and the plot is paper-thin, even for a short. Wasn't a fan, but the movie more than makes up for it.

I've only seen Paper Moon, The Last Picture Show and Targets but they're all excellent. Need to get back to his movies.

I thought she was granola-y and cool but then she said she didn't like Chicago much so BOOOO.

Chicago the movie or Chicago the city? Are you from Chicago?

I really wanted to like Listen Up Philip a lot, because it had everything I should love; great actors, cool voice over by Eric Bogosian (Talk Radio, now that was great stuff), jazzy soundtrack, great overly styled dialogues, muted 70s aesthetics, but for some reason the first hour already felt like two, I think it's badly paced as soon as the story splits between the different protagonists.
listen-up-philip-welivefilm-sundance-2.png

UrbanRats

Exodus - Surprisingly boring.. not like i was surprised that it was going to be boring, but i was surprised that it was going to be this boring.
I liked Stone's Alexander, so i have a high tolerance for this sort of movies, i feel.
Battle scenes, what i was looking forward to, were like a couple at best, and not even interesting or fun to watch.
Whitewashing, other than being socially backwards and flat out distractingly silly looking, was also useless for the most part (aside from Bale, i guess) Sigourney Weaver says like 2 sentences.
Peter Jackson had more screen-time in the LOTR films than she had in this, but it's long enough to appear comical.
The only thing i liked was... well a bunch of panoramic shots were really impressive, so were sets and costumes, for the most part.
Also the plagues were alright, but the Red Sea scene was much better in The Prince of Egypt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom