• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuhira

Not particularly new but i've watched this movies in the last month:
1-Nightcrawler
2-Prisoners
3-The girl with the dragon tattoo(2011)
4-Drive
5-Shutter Island
Excellent movies imo,loved each one of them.

Blader

in my opinion, The Last Metro is a true masterpiece, hasn't aged a day. The Soft Skin is quite dated stylistically, so I'd go for the former most definitely

Thanks man! Last Metro it is.

Franco Nero makes it look so easy in Django, effortlessly embodying the title character with an impeccable level of swagger that few actors could manage as well. Sergio Corbucci must've known what kind of magnetism he was dealing with, opting to shoot Nero in close-up in most instances and letting the actor do the rest. No matter what he's doing, be it dragging a coffin through a muddy, nearly dead town or playing a card game, he manages to make it look so cool, all through a simple glare at the camera.

That's why it's a shame that the rest of the film is so messy in comparison, as Django feels a bit like someone rambling on and on about stuff they wanted to see in a western, rather than feeling like it was written and assembled like a normal script. Just when you think it's going to reveal some kind of grander plot, it wanders off and seems to forget about events that transpire earlier on in the film, particularly in the case of the on-again/off-again racism of a villain. Nothing makes a film feel longer than it actually is when you can tell that it's not sure of what it wants to do, and Django suffers greatly for it.

The film does have more going for it than Nero, though, which does ultimately help it come out ahead of its grievous narrative issues. Corbucci has a good eye for framing beyond pointing at Nero's visage, particularly in the more graphic moments. Luis Bacalov does a rather fine job with the score beyond the ridiculously catchy theme song, trying on a lot of hats without each track feeling too dissimilar from one another. The atmosphere is also quite thick and palpable, thanks to a more realistic setting that feels lived in and, more importantly, long abandoned by those with a bit more sense to get involved. And even though it never amounts to much more than people talking about it rather than being properly addressed, I did like how the film cared enough about the racism involved with a lot of the fighting between the US and Mexico to at least mention it. All in all, the script issues prevent it from being a true western classic, but even one stare-down from Franco Nero is enough to make me forget about them for just a little bit.

I liked Django just fine the first time I saw it but it grew on me lot after a rewatch. My first impression was that it was a fun but pretty trashy flick, with a cool lead performance by Nero but everyone/thing else was pretty blah. Then that kicked off a marathon of about a dozen more spaghetti westerns, most of which were varying degrees of inferior, which raised my esteem of Django a lot. Switching over from the godawful American dub to the Italian audio probably helped too. :lol

If you haven't seen any of Corbucci's other westerns, definitely check out The Great Silence. The Mercenary and Companeros are solid stupid fun too (I like the latter more because it doesn't take itself as seriously), but The Great Silence is one of the best non-Leone spaghettis.

Honey Bunny

Finished watching Alien 3: Assembly Cut. Last third or so was kind of weak, and the ending was too melodramatic for the franchise and didn't really fit with the tone of the movie, but I really enjoyed it. Sue me.

The concept was awesome, the setting was awesome, it even does a brilliant job with the side characters by making them shitty prisoners who you hate except for Charles Dance until
he gets offed an hour in
and then they all get developed and become kind of interesting, or at least entertaining.

I can see it being disappointing just because it's so different from Aliens and quickly establishes itself as its own thing, but given its massive production issues I'm astounded they were even able to scrape together a secondary cut this enjoyable. It's not scary at all though, and in fact the alien itself looks like complete and utter shit in everything but the tight close ups. Like bad rotoscoping or something.

So, yeah, Alien 3 isn't nearly as good as Alien or Aliens, but it lives up to it's title; third best.

On my recent rewatch of the franchise I actually enjoyed the assembly cut of 3 more than I did Aliens, which was a huge surprise. It might just be my predilection for the gothic, or that Aliens has been aped so many times since that I've gone off that brand of sci fi action while 3 really stands on its own. (Ok, the prison planet is tired now but I've forgotten all the movies that used it bar Riddick. What's the opposite of victim of your own success?) The prisoners' religious awe of the 'dragon' was a really fascinating classical take on such a modern monster, while the prison setting allowed you the claustrophobia of the spaceship in the original without retreading the same territory. The one thing we can all agree on however is how awful the cg alien looks. Really takes you out of the movie. What a shame!

That opening though.

Fiorina_'Fury'_161a.jpg

Wonderful.

On my recent rewatch of the franchise I actually enjoyed the assembly cut of 3 more than I did Aliens, which was a huge surprise. It might just be my predilection for the gothic, or that Aliens has been aped so many times since that I've gone off that brand of sci fi action while 3 really stands on its own. (Ok, the prison planet is tired now but I've forgotten all the movies that used it bar Riddick. What's the opposite of victim of your own success?) The prisoners' religious awe of the 'dragon' was a really fascinating classical take on such a modern monster, while the prison setting allowed you the claustrophobia of the spaceship in the original without retreading the same territory. The one thing we can all agree on however is how awful the cg alien looks. Really takes you out of the movie. What a shame!

That opening though.

Fiorina_'Fury'_161a.jpg

Wonderful.

Yeah, the opening was stunning, and I really loved the whole gothic/medieval atmosphere of the prision. I was actually surprised to learn that the only time the Alien is CG is in the assembly cut when it scampers away after it is born (since they had no footage of this to work from). The Alien throughout the movie is actually a rod puppet that looks fantastic, but was poorly composited into the film. A damn shame. When they made the assembly cut they should have just removed that miserable creature from the film and used the decent CG version in its place.

Here's the puppet they used:

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just finished the Guest, now I'm arguing with my sister and gf about the following :

So David IS Caleb right? They were dropping some pretty obvious clues throughout the movie I don't know how you could see otherwise, but we disagree.

Blader

Just finished the Guest, now I'm arguing with my sister and gf about the following :

So David IS Caleb right? They were dropping some pretty obvious clues throughout the movie I don't know how you could see otherwise, but we disagree.

eh, what?
Why would the family not recognize their own son? There's also a picture of Caleb and David together, and David even remarks as he kills the mother that Caleb would understand.

big ander

What were the obvious clues?
I don't remember them hinting anything of the sort. aren't there even pictures of Caleb with David in their home? I guess if you theorize that Caleb...also underwent surgery to completely alter his appearance? But in the movie I only remember them saying that Caleb died, and David's mental programming led him to fake his death and disappear.

Switch Back 9

What were the obvious clues?
I don't remember them hinting anything of the sort. aren't there even pictures of Caleb with David in their home? I guess if you theorize that Caleb...also underwent surgery to completely alter his appearance? But in the movie I only remember them saying that Caleb died, and David's mental programming led him to fake his death and disappear.

He was super intimate with all the family, to start with something broad. It was then mentioned that other members of his program were all found burned, plus all the talk about plastic surgery etc...That's why he only had David's dogtags and no other ID. He used David's persona to avoid tipping the gov't off with a likely link to his family. He did the same thing (more or less) at the end when he burned the gym down. He was obviously super reluctant to kill the mother and father, but as stated by the MP guy, he was totally programmed to do so; it couldn't be helped.

Ridley327

What We Do in the Shadows is about as funny as a film could possibly get. It makes it pretty clear early on that it isn't content with just resting on the laurels of a good idea and puts in the work, care, and effort to take it the next level. Hilarious uses (abuses?) of vampiric power get solid effects work, giving the film a level of gravity that empty spoofs can't even dream of reaching. And they're wedded to such brilliant comedic ideas, too, where the entire spectrum of being a vampire is covered, with gutbusters lurking behind every corner. A vampire mockumentary from the creators of Flight of the Conchords is an idea that is made even better by how flawlessly executed it is from beginning to end. Miss this at your own peril.

Grinchy

Banned
I watched Boyhood. I had really low expectations despite its almost universal praise but I liked it quite a bit. I didn't even feel its running time. The kid had some weak acting moments as he got older but it wasn't enough to ruin anything.

There were a couple flaws. Some of the dialog when the kid got older was just really hard for me to take seriously. Then there was the waiter scene. I actually laughed when it happened. Overall, it was a good movie.

Exodist

Been reading what people have to say in the thread for a while but I thought I'd make my first post.

1. What's your favorite Movie?
Mulholland Drive is my absolute top, but others include: Seven Samurai, Magnolia, Blade Runner, Goodfellas, Fargo, The Social Network, and Sideways.

2. Who's your favorite director?
My top three are David Lynch, Akira Kurosawa, and Paul Thomas Anderson.

3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Toshiro Mifune, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, Amy Adams.

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
A bit broad, but just drama films in general, stuff like The Social Network and Sideways. Also really like sci-fi and cyberpunk settings.

5. What's your favorite performance in film?
I have no idea to be honest, maybe Mifune in Drunken Angel.

So anyway, I just watched The Exorcist for the first time and it was pretty amazing. Still found it pretty chilling, tense and scary and the special effects and stunt work with the bed, her floating looked really good. Of course I know about some of the scenes, the spider walk of course, the crucifix, the head turning, but I didn't really know the general plot or ending (well apart from the young girl is possessed obviously), so I didn't feel like most of the film had already been ruined for me or anything. Won't really bother with the rest, but I'm definitely gonna look into watching Friedkin's Sorcerer soon too. As for stuff in the cinemas this month, not really much but I'm looking forward to seeing The Tale of Princess Kaguya here in the UK when it opens later this month.

Switch Back 9

What We Do in the Shadows is about as funny as a film could possibly get. It makes it pretty clear early on that it isn't content with just resting on the laurels of a good idea and puts in the work, care, and effort to take it the next level. Hilarious uses (abuses?) of vampiric power get solid effects work, giving the film a level of gravity that empty spoofs can't even dream of reaching. And they're wedded to such brilliant comedic ideas, too, where the entire spectrum of being a vampire is covered, with gutbusters lurking behind every corner. A vampire mockumentary from the creators of Flight of the Conchords is an idea that is made even better by how flawlessly executed it is from beginning to end. Miss this at your own peril.

At the risk of making an incredibly lazy post, I whole-heartedly agree with you. Hands down my favourite movie from last year.

Rewatched Ratatouille.

What can I say, Ratatouille is an endlessly rewatchable no flaws family film that promotes the progressive homosexual agenda. What's not to like about that?

Man, it totally is. I didn't see it before, but it can easily be reinterpreted. Some phrases in particular made think of it like that. This is the time I've enjoyed it the most, and it jumped up in my Pixar list. 8/10

Also rewatched Man of Steel. Turns out I didn't dislike it as much as I used to. I still see the same problems, but I enjoyed some of its excessiveness. Some of that dialogue though. lol 4/10

History of Future Folk is fairly decent, but eh. The police-officer romance was definitely forced to make part of the plot work (Kevin's distraction from his post, allowing the alien to fight Trius alone). Fine that it takes music's communal and uniting power for granted, but I'm never given an indication of desolate Hondo must be for the simplest artform to affect either of the castaways so much. Playing around with the idea of which fiction is stronger in this world, the Hondo story as real or made up (and whether or not Trius and Kevin are legally dead in a way), would have interested me a bit more. I learned this movie's something of a vehicle for the New York-based folk duo, so maybe these limitations weren't considered over getting the protagonists into hijinks, but it's trying to have a little bit of everything and the slices of concert show, family drama, and sci-fi adventure don't work very well standalone. And those video game references just don't mix well, I liked it when it was just the Mario theme insert but adding in Mike Tyson's Punch Out (and the boxing exercises in general) was superfluous. Still, quite amusing, and it doesn't let up with ideas for a varied time spent in silos and bar stages. ***/*****

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nightcrawler was certainly interesting, but it's got a metric ton of flaws; reminded me of Training Day mixed with Drive mashed with Breaking News covered by not quite indie sauce. It's certainly a bit unfocused, script is unremarkable, altho Jake Gyllenhaal is good as usual

a couple words about the soundtrack: what the hell was that? Not sure if there already was some debate about it, but if not, well, it should have; It's seriously out of place and distracting, doesn't fit the theme of the movie at all. One moment is action, one moment is romance, one moment is fast paced thrill. Movie has nothing of it. Did Howard think he was writing for some Spielberg movie? It's baffling and hilarious at times, expecially when it tries to make you feel sympathetic for Jake's character, who's just a weird looking creep with no morals whatsoever. My god what a piece of turd

Ridley327

Nightcrawler was certainly interesting, but it's got a metric ton of flaws; reminded me of Training Day mixed with Drive mashed with Breaking News covered by not quite indie sauce. It's certainly a bit unfocused, script is unremarkable, altho Jake Gyllenhaal is good as usual

a couple words about the soundtrack: what the hell was that? Not sure if there already was some debate about it, but if not, well, it should have; It's seriously out of place and distracting, doesn't fit the theme of the movie at all. One moment is action, one moment is romance, one moment is fast paced thrill. Movie has nothing of it. Did Howard think he was writing for some Spielberg movie? It's baffling and hilarious at times, expecially when it tries to make you feel sympathetic for Jake's character, who's just a weird looking creep with no morals whatsoever. My god what a piece of turd

It's not really a debate: JNH came out and outright said that Dan Gilroy wanted him to compose it as a kind of internal soundtrack in Lou's head. That it doesn't match up with the reality of what we're seeing is the point.

Currygan

It's not really a debate: JNH came out and outright said that Dan Gilroy wanted him to compose it as a kind of internal soundtrack in Lou's head. That it doesn't match up with the reality of what we're seeing is the point.

woah, really? I don't think that works well in reality, though

Mabase

Hi MovieGAF, thought it was about time I jumped into this thread. Many recommendations I have taken from this thread in the past, so why not join? :) Well for starters, the introduction questionary is impossibly hard to narrow down, but let's try...

Spirited Away, Conan the Barbarian, 25th Hour, Empire strikes back, Before Sunset, Eat Drink Man Woman, Aliens, Beginners, When we were Kings, Synecdoche New York, E.T., etc.
Probably Miyazaki, Jackie Chan, Richard Linklater, Edgar Wright, Wong Kar-Wai, Charlie Kaufman, etc.
I like Tom Wilkinson.
Also, I have a soft spot for actors who are good at looking stupefied and dopey: Harrison Ford, Emma Thompson, Shia LaBeouf, Jack Black
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Men-in-Suits discussing important things for two hours while smoking
Hmm difficult, I guess:
Damon/Williams in "Good Will Hunting"
Clooney/Swinton/Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton"
Delpy/Hawke in "Before..."
Tony Leung/Maggie Cheung in "In the mood for love"

BTW I work in animation, so most of my limited expertise is in there.

----------------------------------

So, I'm catching up on the Oscar list and have recently watched Nightcrawler. What I love about Nightcrawler is that Gyllenhaal's psychopath character does and says all the right things, but he does it in such inappropriate ways and inappropriate situations that he becomes this bonkers crazy guy. He smiles when he has to smile, he's charming when he has to be charming, but we see his cocky laugh when he greets his news-anchor-business-partners, and know it's fake and empty, programmed like a robot. His business advice all makes sense, his industrious attitude and his sense for opportunity is limitless; but he applies his skills with such a lack of empathy, tactfulness, or feeling that he becomes this disgusting, uncanny valley of a human puppet.
He's like a person whose only education and social skills come from a wikipedia page instead of experience, and now he's just acting on a script.

Which made me seriously wonder if and in which situations maybe I myself come off as a psychopath. Cause let's face it, when he said "Oh I took an online business course!" and "I'm basically on my computer all day long!", and explained how he's a fast learner and soaks up all this information online, he was prototyping the way that we as a digital population acquire knowledge, at least in parts.
Now I'm sure I still have more empathy in me than him, but with all the stuff I learned and got to know through indirect means (internet, books, media etc) instead of an exchange with another human being, it makes me wonder in which situations I come across as a strange fucking weirdo. Without realizing it.

On another note: Stylewise the film comes off slightly as a poor-man's "Drive", the music is not as menacing, the camera not as tight, the atmosphere not as stylized. But there's more substance to the characters and the plot. And I like that the film does not try to mimic Drive's shock moments with sheer gore; the strength of Nightcrawler imo is a certain "realism" and believability. What happens, the things people say and the decisions they take seem alien, because they come from a milieu we're not familiar with, and not because this milieu doesn't exist.
Which makes the film very creepy (AGAIN ffs) because in a different place, in a different situation, I imagine a lot of us could go down a similar moral route like Gyllenhaal's and Russo's characters. It's just business after all.

Recommended. Don't watch in company of your eager entrepreneur friends who're looking for a new business idea.

Pachimari

I had more fun watching Cars 2 than Up and WallE.

Now I'm thinking of watching all of Pixar's movies again in anticipation of Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. Feels great with two originals from them.

nawwafh

Inception, Alien, Pan's Labyrinth, Inglourious Basterds, Se7en, Fight Club

Tarantino, Nolan, Fincher

Leo, Jessica Chastain

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Thrillers, Drama, SciFi

Leo in Revolutionary Road/Shutter Island

UrbanRats

Since I rewatched Ratatouille, I did a ranking of Pixar movies.
WallE is better than UP for me.

Aside form the tearjerking intro, there wasn't much i liked about UP, and the useless villain thing detracted from it.

WallE also has a weak second half, with them on the ship, and i wish
they had found a ship with all the humans being dead
or something (would've also made more sense, since they use real footage to represent humans on Earth, but then silly cartoon humans on the ship).
Still, the first half and parts of the second half are fantastic.

Ricker

Edge of Tomorrow...loved it...when the first ''thing'' happens I was ,you got to be kidding me, but after that I was surprised they actually where going with that lol,reminded me of another movie like this obviously...this one scene when Cruise asks Blunt if she tried having sex to get rid of it and she goes yeah,it doesnt work,and he goes, how many times, was awesome lol...and whats to not like about Emily Blunt all sweaty doing push ups... ;) :p

Bishop89

Hercules (2014)

Liked it, but wish it focused more on his adventures slaying beasts than what I got.

Still entertaining though

graffix13

The Cider House Rules- I hadn't seen this movie for a long time but I remember liking it. Michael Caine was great of course and Charlize Theron is always nice to look at. I really enjoyed the story of this one. Also, kids don't huff ether.

Munich- Wow, how good is THIS movie? I watched this with my girlfriend and I thought for sure she'd either fall asleep or get up and start doing something else due to the subject matter of this movie and the length. She did neither. This movie is a little under 3 hours (164 minutes) but I thought the pacing of the whole thing was superb and the movie just keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The only question I have is
why didn't Ephraim stay for dinner and break bread with Avner? Was it because Avner would not return to Israel?

Fargo- Another great gem by the Coen brothers. I love dark comedy movies and this one is one of the best. William H. Macy plays such a slimeball in this movie....it's great.

The King's Speech- I was pretty surprised I enjoyed this one as much as I did. Given the plot of the movie, I thought I would lose interest halfway through but I actually enjoyed it.I still think Inception was the best movie of that year (2010) though.

Favorite movie watched this weekend: Munich

UrbanRats

Hercules (2014)

Liked it, but wish it focused more on his adventures slaying beasts than what I got.

Still entertaining though

So, the point is he didn't do any of that shit.
As i said, it's like an allegory for the duality Dwayne Johnson lives as the myth of The Rock.

Currygan

my personal Pixar list

Toy Story 3
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Incredibles
Up
Wall-E
Monsters Inc.
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Brave

these planes and cars movies. yuck

Toothless

Edge of Tomorrow rewatch was fun as typical. Love Blunt and Cruise in it, and the no-frills editing is a nice change of pace in Hollywood blockbusters.

Exodus: Gods and Kings. Pretty dull movie. Its worse sin might be that it didn't grace us with the hilarious sight of Weaver in her halloween costume often enough. And the white washing of course, but that not what makes the movie a drag. 4/10

A Summer Place - I didn't like it much. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I thought it was insufferable, which is too bad, considering it has such memorable music. Although, I thought the music got kind of insufferable too over this material. I don't like soap operas. It had some good parts, but it just wasn't for me, as it really started to wear on my patience with its fairy tale soap opera portrayal of everything. First Delmer Daves flick I didn't like. I love Dark Passage and like Destination Tokyo, with the understanding that most war movies of the time were manipulative propaganda.

Saw both Insidious movies. At first the jump scares were getting me pretty well. I liked that the movie just jumped right into it and didn't take an hour to set up. But the formula got very predictable and half way through the first movie the scares just started making me laugh. They felt more like punch lines. Don't get me wrong, they were still very enjoyable movies. But hardly scary. I mean shit, two major characters were pure comic relief, so its not like the movie didn't want me to laugh. It just maybe didn't want me to laugh as often as I did. Still, overall they were good. Certainly the premise was very interesting, enough so to hold the movie together despite it being unintentionally hilarious. Gotta give it credit for that at least.

Also saw Bridget Jones Diary. I really wasn't expecting to like this at all. I was expecting something more akin to Princess Diary. I only watched it cause my lady friend wanted to. But! It was actually pretty entertaining. I have no idea what was happening in half the scenes cause I wasn't paying much attention, but the gags kept me laughing like an episode of Family Guy would or something, where in the plot is basically irrelevant anyways. Plus, Gaius Baltar was in it, so that was cool. So yeah, solid date movie.

UrbanRats

What we do in the shadows - Funny movie. On the one hand, i like that it didn't overstay its welcome, on the other hand, i feel like they didn't tap a lot of vampires (and werewolves) cliches that could've made for some good jokes.
Should they ever want to make a sequel of sort, the material is there, though.

Yes, everyone who likes comedy should watch this. Great execution.

Divius

Saw Jîn yesterday, which was alright. After a while it just keeps pushing its themes on the viewer and I was like okay okay I get it, jeez. It does have some pretty pictures and is a decent piece of cinematic story-telling. I appreciate what it was going for, but found myself not caring enough, despite a good performance by the lead actress. 6/10

I'll try to watch a good movie today, that has been a while. Paper Moon, West Side Story or Paris, Texas?

What we do in the shadows - Funny movie. On the one hand, i like that it didn't overstay its welcome, on the other hand, i feel like they didn't tap a lot of vampires (and werewolves) cliches that could've made for some good jokes.
Should they ever want to make a sequel of sort, the material is there, though.

I feel like they tackled most of them. I loved the werewolves the most, especially when the leader was like "why are you wearing those pants? You just bought those, now they're gonna be ruined"

Damn I miss the flight of the conchords cast

Ridley327

I feel like they tackled most of them. I loved the werewolves the most, especially when the leader was like "why are you wearing those pants? You just bought those, now they're gonna be ruined"

That joke paid off in spades with the
dramatic re-enactment of the aftermath of the attack
. I'm glad I didn't have much to drink, since I would have pissed myself.

Get on Up

On the bloated (for the lack of a better word) side but not bad. I think it would have worked better as a miniseries given the scope/style.

UrbanRats

Oh yeah, Werewolves had the best jokes, imo.

Also, i wish they had tackled the "bringing dirt from your homeland" trope from Dracula.

Exmersion

Neo Member
In Bruges

Quentin Tarantino, Martin McDonagh

Brendan Gleeson, Christoph Waltz

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Crime, Black Comedy, Crime-comedy etc.

Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds, Christian Bale in American Psycho

I'd never had a very active interest in films, only occasionally going to the cinema to see whatever big releases were out at the time. However just over a month ago I saw Pulp Fiction and thought 'Hey, this is actually really good' and have since been obsessed with films and watching stuff I've missed out on over the years.
http://letterboxd.com/exmersion/

Some films I've enjoyed recently are Birdman, Wolf of Wall Street and American Psycho. I really liked the one-take aspect and the score of Birdman - I found myself not caring too much about the characters as I was focusing on the one-take aspect so much but it was very enjoyable. I didn't get bored once during the 3 hours of Wolf of Wall Street, and I thought Christian Bale was just amazing in American Psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom