• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Update: Ignore this and try the new test version (5.9.4).

First you'll have to uncheck the Flash setting on the script, so click on the [!] button when you watch a video or click CTRL+SHIFT+Y. The next version of the script won't require this, as I'll try to detect if Flash is available from the get-go.

I think you can then use an extension that blocks Flash on certain websites, I think one is called FlashBlock.

Or to do it on the browser itself, you can do it one of these ways.

If you're on Firefox, you can go to your settings (CTRL+SHIFT+A) then go to the Plugins and change Flash to either "Always Ask" or "Never Active" which will disable it.

If you're on Chrome or Opera (15+) you can type chrome://plugins or opera://plugins in the address bar and disable Flash.

If you're using Greasemonkey, you can edit the script by looking at the script list and Editing it. (SHIFT+CTRL+A) User Scripts -> Look for YouTube Me Again! and press the edit button.

If you're using Chrome you'd have to search for the extension's ID and then edit the JS file in that directory. I don't know if this works 100%.

I used NinjaKit to test it, but I don't really know of others.

Hurray! The update enabled HTML5. Everything is working as I wanted it too now. Hateradio, you delivered. Thanks.

Rootbeer

Banned
That's what I noticed, too. Except for Hulu (which I have to use because of South Park), I don't think I use Flash for most anything.

The only issue I have found with the HTML5 player, since always, is that YT does not respect the quality setting.

For the new page:
I use Magic Actions in chrome to force the quality. I think this works on html5 players too... at least it seems to work.

There are tons of 60fps examples in this thread for anyone wanting to test it out more.

Schrade

Since I noticed that Flash will not work with 60FPS embeded videos, I looked and found that there is a possible way to "make" YT send the HTML5 player.

So far, it's working for me.

5.9.4 - Flash Killer (?)

This one defaults to 360p always for me. :(

I use Pale Moon x64 btw. Also, did you completely remove the option for Flash in it? I don't see a way of re-enabling flash with that version. I had to revert to the release version.

Popstar

Embedded YouTube videos stopped working for me yesterday. I now get a "missing plug-in" error.

I don't have Flash installed but it worked okay previously. A couple days ago It did start spinning on "Loading data..." for YouTube however. Also just noticed I don't see the ! for changing options.

Safari 8.0.2 on OS X Yosemite (NinjaKit 0.9.1)

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmmm keeps defaulting to lower resolution, I can't get it to play 720p or above by default anymore?

Recent post I made where it seems to stick at 480p unless you manually change it in the YT embedded player

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=149891630#post149891630

Chrome 42 dev
Win 8.1 64bit
5.9.4 script build (btw, links in OT still have older versions)

*edit* I just noticed the link a few posts up actually has a version of 5.9.5, so i installed that.
it seems you have to enable the flash checkbox in options to get it to use the HD settings. if you disable flash it won't show HD, at least that's the results i'm getting

Rootbeer

Banned
Op needs to be updated... as well as versions on the chrome store... too many people getting the old versions that work improperly

jesu

I didn't realize the thread was ancient and just installed what's in the OP, still works in Firefox.

Dambrosi

Banned
Sorry to say, but something on Youtube changed to break YTMA (and Youtube Center). Both userscripts no longer work as they should. Could someone please have a quick look to find out what the matter is? Thanks.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry to say, but something on Youtube changed to break YTMA (and Youtube Center). Both userscripts no longer work as they should. Could someone please have a quick look to find out what the matter is? Thanks.

Hi, can you describe what is not working for you?

For me, embedding is rather broken and only works if you set Youtube Center to force HTML5 videos and set YTMA to NOT use Flash when available.

But even when you set it that way, it won't obey the HD settings you choose, it always plays 480p for me in the embedded videos :(

OP please respond!

3phemeral

I didn't even know this plugin existed until you bumped this thread and after installing it, it didn't work until I clicked off the option to "Use Flash." (I downloaded the one that's in the Chrome store, btw).

But aside from that, works beautifully. I love how all the sizing options appear above the video. How did I not see this thread before.

Schrade

Edit out anything in the script that uses youtube-nocookie.com

Something's wrong with that site and is what is breaking the script.

Dambrosi

Banned
Edit out anything in the script that uses youtube-nocookie.com

Something's wrong with that site and is what is breaking the script.
Yeah, that did it, thanks. Now to find out what's wrong with Youtube Center, I rely on that plugin quite a bit.

I've never heard of or experienced Zulithe's problem with resolution settings not being saved, though. Mine works fine in that regard.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, that did it, thanks. Now to find out what's wrong with Youtube Center, I rely on that plugin quite a bit.

I've never heard of or experienced Zulithe's problem with resolution settings not being saved, though. Mine works fine in that regard.

it saves the settings, but it doesn't obey them. if I don't use flash it won't embed anything over 480p. It's driving me bonkers. Maybe you're not using the same version of the script as me?

YTMA! 5.9.5 (link several posts above, on dropbox)
Chrome 43 Canary, Windows 8.1 64bit
Magic Actions 6.8.4.3

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Sorry for the delay, I've been pretty busy. :(

About the issues:

• I don't know why descriptions won't load. That always works for me and most people.
  • If youtube-nocookie.com no longer really works, I'll just use the normal domain.
  • HTML5 player has never obeyed video quality settings. As mentioned previously, this is because Google wants to detect the frame size and serve the "appropriate" quality. I have figured out a way to do it, which may break on future YT updates, but hopefully it stays for now.

---

YTMA 5.9.6 Test

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

A fix I have been working on to try to get YT to load your quality setting on HTML5 players.

I also removed youtube-nocookie, to see if that helps.

I hope that during the spring break I will fix a few issues and release it as version 6.

PS:

I also have a page on Dropbox where anyone can just test out some of the features. Note that it does not run from an extension so things like Vine descriptions and such do not work.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma.test.html

Schrade

• I don't know why descriptions won't load. That always works for me and most people.

This happened to me at one point. It was corrupted storage and you gave me a console command to clear the storage. After that everything worked fine.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the update. Sorry, I missed that bit about the HTML5 player being that way.

It is obeying the quality settings now but the HTML5 player's GUI looks fuzzier than the flash version. I zoom GAF by 125% (why is the text on GAF so tiny by default, sheesh!), so that's probably why... the flash player scales better I guess? Weird.

I found a suitable 1080p60 testcase (actually this video is 2160p60 but youtube blocked that option for some unknown reason, hopefully temporarily)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150218930&postcount=36

Hmm. Still no ! for changing options.

S M L X ╳ show up through.

I see the ! just fine? is the far-right row of icons missing for you? I would try completely removing the script, restarting and installing the new beta version. Can you share any details about your setup such as browser and what .js script management tools you have installed? for Chrome I just drag-and-drop the script into add-ons... I used to use a script manager but I found them to be more problems than they are worth.

H4KIieu.jpg

XBP

Sorry for the delay, I've been pretty busy. :(

About the issues:

• If youtube-nocookie.com no longer really works, I'll just use the normal domain.
  • HTML5 player has never obeyed video quality settings. As mentioned previously, this is because Google wants to detect the frame size and serve the "appropriate" quality. I have figured out a way to do it, which may break on future YT updates, but hopefully it stays for now.

---

YTMA 5.9.6 Test

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

A fix I have been working on to try to get YT to load your quality setting on HTML5 players.

I also removed youtube-nocookie, to see if that helps.

I hope that during the spring break I will fix a few issues and release it as version 6.

PS:

I also have a page on Dropbox where anyone can just test out some of the features. Note that it does not run from an extension so things like Vine descriptions and such do not work.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma.test.html

Thanks a lot for this. This version fixed the error I was getting with flash and firefox. Cheers.

Popstar

I see the ! just fine? is the far-right row of icons missing for you? I would try completely removing the script, restarting and installing the new beta version. Can you share any details about your setup such as browser and what .js script management tools you have installed? for Chrome I just drag-and-drop the script into add-ons... I used to use a script manager but I found them to be more problems than they are worth.
k2FEvgJ.png

Safari 8.0.3 on OS X Yosemite (NinjaKit 0.9.1)

I've tried deleting the script completely and even uninstalling and reinstalling NinjaKit.

hateradio

It means that you don't have localStorage enabled, so you wouldn't be able to save your settings. If you're using private mode in Safari, you'll definitely get that.

I'm not sure how to enable it on Safari, but you should probably search for that.

Otherwise, you can manually edit your setting using NinjaKit.

Find "* User Preferences" and then read what the numbers mean. Scroll down to the defaults object and plug in your preferences.

Code:
		defaults: function () {
			return {
				focus    : 0,
				desc     : 1,
				flash    : 0,
				ratio    : 2,
				size     : 360,
				quality  : 720,
				autoShow : 1
			};
		},

Popstar

It means that you don't have localStorage enabled, so you wouldn't be able to save your settings.

I'm not sure how to enable it on Safari, but you should probably search for that.
It is enabled. I suspect it might be something to do with NinjaKit and Safari 8. It hasn't been updated in years.

I wonder how much work it would be re-write it as a straight Safari extension. Would you mind if I took a look into it?

hateradio

Popstar

I did try to make a Safari extension a few years ago, but I never actually released one. Plus, I think I would have to renew some dumb certificate that Apple makes you get to create them.

Your localStorage on GAF might be full then. If you have the developer tools enabled go into the console and try to clear it. Note that it should be CMD+OPT+C, I think.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=133822775&highlight=localstorage#post133822775
Yeah, you need a certificate (I have one). No different than Chrome nowadays.

It was my localStorage being full. Clearing ytma.4.1.dat brought back my !.

Thank you for the hint.

hateradio

Yeah, you need a certificate (I have one). No different than Chrome nowadays.

It was my localStorage being full. Clearing ytma.4.1.dat brought back my !.

Thank you for the hint.
It would have still had the same issues, since even my Chrome extension uses localStorage.

I should have asked you how long the data was so that I could try to detect when it's too large.

red731

Damn thanks hateradio.

Deleted the nocookie part from your script last week to be able to run videos embedded.
Now I've downloaded the newest test version and even cleared local storage since it was full - now I even have the descriptions back!

Sweet

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Everything is working great on my end but if I could make a request :

In the '!' menu can we have a setting that allows us to set the volume for all future videos so that it automatically sets the volume when the video is opened/played?

I've seen this feature before in other extensions so I know it's possible. All that said though, I love 'YouTube Me Again!' keep up the great work hateradio! You're awesome!

I've been using this script for a long time. It's great. Thanks.

On another topic, I'm posting this here as I don't want to create a thread for it: can anyone tell me where I can get the latest update to the Neogaf Live Thread userscript ? Google gave me a thread here on Gaf, but the version seems old and I think it is no longer supported.

I've been using this script for a long time. It's great. Thanks.

On another topic, I'm posting this here as I don't want to create a thread for it: can anyone tell me where I can get the latest update to the Neogaf Live Thread userscript ? Google gave me a thread here on Gaf, but the version seems old and I think it is no longer supported.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/3581-neogaf-live-thread-modified-by-sharkiller
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/neogaf-live-thread/blbfgndoggabppkoehpipfadjelcofmp?hl=en

?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Everything is working great on my end but if I could make a request :

In the '!' menu can we have a setting that allows us to set the volume for all future videos so that it automatically sets the volume when the video is opened/played?

I've seen this feature before in other extensions so I know it's possible. All that said though, I love 'YouTube Me Again!' keep up the great work hateradio! You're awesome!
Another great thing would be being able to set annotations to off.

hateradio

YTMA 5.9.7 Test

• Added annotation setting
  • Changed storage settings to try to detect when it's full

Get: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

Preview/Test: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ytma.test.html (Vine does not work under preview mode, only with extension/user script.)

I don't know if I can do that right now, but I can try. Do you have an example?

hateradio

Thanks to this site finally found a quick reply script that doesn't auto subscribe me into every thread I post on
This one? If so that's also by me.

None of the pomp.se videos work for me on Safari.

And the YouTube video with the start time didn't start at the right time. Just at the beginning.

And the Vine plays the video but gives an error for the description.
Pomf.se videos are WebM. So Safari doesn't care. :p

Ugh, it seems like Google did it again. They changed the parameter for the start time. FIXED.

If you mean just that test page, I had previously mentioned that Vine doesn't work there because it needs the extension privileges to pull content from that site in particular.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pomf.se videos are WebM. So Safari doesn't care. :p

Ugh, it seems like Google did it again. They changed the parameter for the start time. FIXED.

If you mean just that test page, I had previously mentioned that Vine doesn't work there because it needs the extension privileges to pull content from that site in particular.
Safari plays the other WebM and gifv videos fine. Only the Pomf.se videos will not load and will not play for me.

The Vine video works fine. It's only the description that doesn't appear.

hateradio

Safari plays the other WebM and gifv videos fine. Only the Pomf.se videos will not load and will not play for me.

The Vine video works fine. It's only the description that doesn't appear.
Safari does not have any native WebM support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webm

You are seeing MP4 videos served from Gyfcat and Imgur (gifv isn't a real extension it's just an MP4).

Not working in latest versions of Firefox Beta, pcxFirefox, Pale Moon, and the Chrome Dev channel.
Damn parameter names. -_-

Should be fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom