• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

disappeared said:
Is there an E-Sak's chance in hell that they'd be able to hire some of the ex-1UP crew? Or have they all moved on to other things?

Milky said that two big ex-EGM names were in with Harris and heavily implied that one of them was Hsu.

camineet

Banned
altered_egm.png

EGM is dead. Long live EGM! The struggling game magazine that shut down in January after nearly twenty years in print is returning later this year, courtesy of Electronic Gaming Monthly founder Steve Harris.

According to an announcement, Harris has acquired publishing rights and trademarks to EGM, with plans to restart the print publication in the second half of this year.

Harris calls the relaunch of Electronic Gaming Monthly a "welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts," saying the new EGM team has "exciting plans for the evolution of what will once again be a leading independent voice for the gaming community."

The mag has the enthusiastic, but not necessarily financial backing of Ziff Davis.

"We are pleased that EGM is now in the hands of its original creator, Steve Harris, and wish him and the publication the best of success in the future," says Ziff CEO Jason Young.

http://kotaku.com/5273086/electronic-gaming-monthly-to-return

Shawsie64

Banned
Jax said:
LOL @ you lot. let go. They went out of business. This is a new venture. It wasn't a scam.

Pretend you donated to rebelfm.

Now, if there's a scam *cough*

what did rebelfm do? iv seen a few comments like this..

Ravidrath

Hmm.

I know this sounds cool and all, but EGM got a lot better after Steve Harris sold it to Ziff-Davis, both in quality of coverage and industry reputation. Going back to that regime doesn't necessarily bode well for the magazine.

Under Mr. Harris, Sendai Publishing and its editors (Todd Mowatt, Ed Semrad, etc.) were largely reviled by the industry. They were known to sometimes "find" builds of games they shouldn't have, and generally bullied PR people for exclusives. While I'm not exactly a fan of the industry's PR arm, either, they are generally honest and professional, qualities generally lacking in the editors of EGM under Steve Harris' tutelage.

There were various plagiarism incidents under Mr. Harris as well, one of which even resulted in a settlement that created Intelligent Gamer magazine. While with Intelligent Gamer, there was also a fair amount of distressing talk about "getting in bed" with some publishers.

It's been a long time since Mr. Harris has helmed EGM, but, once again... this shouldn't automatically be cause for celebration.

camineet

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Hmm.

I know this sounds cool and all, but EGM got a lot better after Steve Harris sold it to Ziff-Davis, both in quality of coverage and industry reputation. Going back to that regime doesn't really bode well for the magazine.

Under Mr. Harris, Sendai Publishing and its editors (Todd Mowatt, Ed Semrad, etc.) were largely reviled by the industry. They were known to sometimes "find" builds of games they shouldn't have, and generally bullied PR people for exclusives. While I'm not exactly a fan of the industry's PR arm, either, they are generally honest and professional, qualities generally lacking in the editors of EGM under Steve Harris' tutelage.

There were various plagiarism incidents under Mr. Harris as well, one of which even resulted in a settlement that created Intelligent Gamer magazine.

It's been a long time since Mr. Harris has helmed EGM, but, once again... this shouldn't automatically be cause for celebration.

Highly informative & intelligent post. Some of these things I wish were not true.

This could be incredibly successful, as some have already said, if you use both the internet and print for their respective strengths.

I don't want to scroll though a shit-ton of text when reading an in-depth feature online, and I want my previews and reviews in video format.

A high-quality print mag focusing on features, think pieces, and in-depth interviews would be a great companion to a gametrailers-esque site that handled the video/audio aspects of games journalism.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Awesome! Now, how will they get Shane back?!!? It'll be interesting to see how they put Humpty back together again. Here's to hoping it works out. I'll probably subscribe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, we bring back a name/magazine which made no money...as well as people who were at the magazine who wrote the content when it made no money...

I guess the more I think about it, the more I'm confused. I hope they come up with some good ideas. Seems very risky right now.

Wow, and I just organized my EGM collection to...

Also, anyone know if:

The final edition that was never printed but was 100% complete, was that ever released online as promised? If so, anyone have a link?

Are the international editions still around?

adg1034

GLARGLEFARHHHHHHGHHG

This is... wow. I'm filled with some way-too-hopeful optimism, but I really really really really really don't want to get burned again.

Eh, who am I kidding? I'll be there day one, wallet open, as well as on Omega Day, eulogizing EGM for the second time.

Dante

Hrmmmm....

Yeah.....Don't really want to be honest. :/ The last years of this magazine felt like it was written for 11 year olds....It's not like it's something I can get excited about, unless it's a complete overhaul.

Good, I hope i get my free issues, the worst decision of my life is using my actual email to get the free year sub, i'm always getting junk mail from freebizmag ALWAYS.

daegan

OMG

OMGOMG

dear Steve Harris: please run this in a better manner with better design than you did when I was like 8

This is the biggest announcement of E3.

Willeth

I'm amazed at the amount of people who are willing to subscribe blindly because someone only tangentially related to the EGM they knew has bought the rights to it. It's someone making a new gaming magazine but using the EGM name, and not a huge amount more. It does look like they're attempting to recapture some of what it was about with the interviews with previous EGM staffers, but the faith of some people is just incredible.

Cdammen

Android18a said:
If they want this to sell, they need to get it in Europe. Games mags still appear to be thriving here.
This. We have three gaming mags here in Sweden that are doing well (four if you count a free and really shitty one) and our population isn't even 10 million. How many do you think game?

Let's hope that the new EGM will offer subscriptions internationally.

RyuHayate

Willeth said:
I'm amazed at the amount of people who are willing to subscribe blindly because someone only tangentially related to the EGM they knew has bought the rights to it. It's someone making a new gaming magazine but using the EGM name, and not a huge amount more. It does look like they're attempting to recapture some of what it was about with the interviews with previous EGM staffers, but the faith of some people is just incredible.

I find the lack of yours disturbing!

VALIS

Willeth said:

So's the cynicism. It's a magazine people are committing to, not experimental surgery.

Barring horrible disasterous first issue,

Lifetime subscription, please!

THIS IS SO AWESOME.

To all the complainers: Realize that any gaming magazine on the shelves that isn't GamePro or Game Informer is GOOD news.

Willeth

VALIS said:
So's the cynicism. It's a magazine people are committing to, not experimental surgery.
If it turns out to be a great magazine, then awesome. There's a great gaming magazine available.

But the vast majority of gaming magazines are utterly terrible. The only thing that points to this being decent is that Hsu has met with Harris. We don't know any outcome of that. And one man does not make a magazine, no matter how good a writer he his or how well-liked he is.

I'm not going to say that buying the first issue would be a bad idea. If it's available to me, I'll do it. But I'm not going to launch into a subscription model based solely on the name of the product and the previous track record of a fraction of its writers.

RPGCrazied

If gamepro is still around, no reason in hell egm can't be here either.

I just hope my current sub still works, but I doubt it.

MrDaravon

Ravidrath said:
Hmm.

I know this sounds cool and all, but EGM got a lot better after Steve Harris sold it to Ziff-Davis, both in quality of coverage and industry reputation. Going back to that regime doesn't necessarily bode well for the magazine.

There were various plagiarism incidents under Mr. Harris as well, one of which even resulted in a settlement that created Intelligent Gamer magazine. While with Intelligent Gamer, there was also a fair amount of distressing talk about "getting in bed" with some publishers.

This was the FIRST thing I thought of; why the hell aren't more people mentioning this stuff? I know there was at least several public examples of fucked up stuff going on under Harris.

camineet

Banned
Boards of Canada said:
Eh, Steve Harris? EGM got good when Ziff was involved. The Steve Harris era was wrought with scandal. I think this is bad news.

I disagree, totally & completely.

EGM was awesome during the Sendai days but became worse & worse under Ziff Davis.

dacuk

omg rite said:
Well these might be the worst posts on GAF this week.

How exactly is a video game magazine liking a great video game a bad thing?

Because there are ACTUALLY other great games like Halo, maybe?

No game deserves to be in ALL the issues of a "supposedly" multiplatform magazine, you know.

Top Bottom