• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Less then an hour till the MS Press Conference, which I will be handling, and we are already 500ing like crazy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
XBLA Games Announced at MS Press Conference.

Shadow Complex from Epic Games coming this Summer

Joyride from Bigpark coming this Winter

And that is it, yea, I am not happy about that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shadow Complex Impressions

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210621/shadow-complex-impressions

Xbox Live Arcade exclusive 2D/3D side-scroller, Shadow Complex, unveiled at Microsoft press conference.

Los Angeles--At today’s Microsoft E3 press conference, Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski helped take the wraps off 2D/3D Xbox Live scrolling shooter, Shadow Complex. The title is being developed by Chair Entertainment, the studio behind Xbox Live Arcade game, Undertow, and will be exclusive to the Xbox platform when it launches in North America this summer.

Demonstration gameplay showed the action remained focused on the 2D plane, but we saw deep and immersive 3D background environments shown. At one point the game camera pulled back from the industrial corridor setting to reveal a dam location with verdant trees and foamy, churning water cascading. The development team are promising interactive environments will allow for branching gameplay choices. We saw the environment used for cover as well as allowing gamers to go on the offense, with the main character shooting out loose electrical cabling to shock a pair of nearby guards. Shadow Complex will feature boss battles, and we saw a brief encounter with a giant mechanical spider.

Conventional shooting mechanics appear to get the job done just as well, and the demo showed off mainstay weapons including pistols and assault rifles as well as discussion around hookshots and triple jump moves to reach otherwise inaccessible areas. Fans of exploration will be pleased to know the game will feature 120 hidden collectible items in the game’s more than 10 hours single-player campaign mode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Summer of Arcade Mark 2 Announced

Summer just got even hotter! The 2nd Annual Summer of Arcade burns up Xbox LIVE® Arcade

Xbox LIVE Arcade is turning up the heat! ‘Splode, race, and cowabunga your way through five weeks of this year’s hottest blockbusters in the second annual Summer of Arcade program.

Last year’s Summer of Arcade saw unprecedented success, with games on-par with retail blockbusters, including award-winning “Braid.” Now we’re burning it up again with five more scorching smash hits beginning Wednesday, July 22, 2009.

Xbox LIVE Arcade has raised the bar, delivering the biggest and best selection of downloadable games on any console. So grab a popsicle and turn up the air-conditioning because these games will keep you sizzling all summer long.

“MARVEL vs. CAPCOM 2” (Backbone Entertainment/Capcom): One of the most popular fighting games of all time, “MARVEL vs. CAPCOM 2,” arrives on Xbox LIVE Arcade. Choose from 56 legendary characters from Marvel Comics and Capcom history, including Ryu and Wolverine. With online multiplayer over Xbox LIVE and enhanced HD graphics, you decide who is the dream team in the ultimate tag-team fighting experience.

“Shadow Complex” (Chair Entertainment and Epic Games/Microsoft): The next evolution in downloadable games, “Shadow Complex” marries the quality and depth of a full retail title, the stunning visuals of Epic Games’ industry-leading Unreal Engine 3, and a classic side-scroller. “Set in the world of Orson Scott Card’s best-selling novel, “Empire,” Shadow Complex introduces a compelling universe in which you collect items and power-ups, and evolve your character into a force of destruction.”

Splosion Man™ (Twisted Pixel Games/Microsoft): Fools they were, to tread where knowledge should stay forbidden. For what emerged was not a man - it was a Splosion Man. "And all who saw him were sploded, for he was the fire and they were but meat." Able to splode himself at will, the Splosion Man launches his way through levels, an uncontainable force. From Twisted Pixel Games, developer of the award winning The Maw™, Splosion Man will keep you on your toes as you play through more than 50 single-player levels and 50 multiplayer levels.

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™: Turtles in Time Re-shelled” (Ubisoft Singapore®/Ubisoft®): Cowabunga! Everyone's favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is back with a brand new look in “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled.” The arcade classic has been revamped with all new 3D graphics, but the same classic beat 'em up gameplay.

“Trials HD” (RedLynx/Microsoft): Put on your helmet, and rev your way through “Trials HD,” a fully-featured, physics-based motorcycle racing game in stunning HD graphics. Tear up more than 50 tracks and test your metal in two unique game modes: Race and Skill. Create, share and download an unlimited number of free tracks with the level editor, and customize your rider to fit your personality.

*Xbox LIVE Gold membership required for online multiplayer

I'll be honest, I am pretty apethic after that conference at the moment.

Kujo

I thought Undertow was garbage, but I have some hope for Shadow Complex. Looks like a July 29 release which isn't too far away.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Mar_ said:
I am agasp.

I never thought I'd see these things again. I used to collect them. Even got the whole set still in original un-opened packaging around 2001. I've since sold them all on ebay though.

The new ones looks awesome:

slobulus.gif

skullface.gif

Love me some Mad Balls.
I still have one of them from when he was kid, a Barf Ball version.

aku:jiki

Kafel said:
Downloaded twice and I've got a corrupted archive each time. What's in ?
It's a montage with short clips of Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, TMNT, Monkey Island, MVC2, Battlefield 1943, Joy Ride and Trials HD.

Thought everything but Joy Ride and Splosion Man looked awesome. :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
E3 2009: Joy Ride Hands-on

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/989/989277p1.html

June 2, 2009 - At Microsoft E3 Media Briefing, the company formally lifted the veil on its newest studio, BigPark. This recently acquired company is working on a debut Xbox Live Arcade title by the name of Joy Ride. As you might expect with a name like that, this arcade racer pulls a lot of its inspiration from Mario Kart. It does, however, have a few key differences. The most notable of those differences is the price: Joy Ride is going to be free.

That's right, Joy Ride is going to be a totally free game...unless you want some of the fancier features. The game will be fully functional right from the get go, but micro-transactions will be in place for those that want a bit more out of their game.

The main draw of Joy Ride, aside from its free status, is that it literally puts your Avatars in the driver's seat as you race around the courses. Two modes were available for play at our demo, one that was a straightforward race and another that put the player in a more open course with checkpoints to race towards. The controls are simple enough. The right trigger gives you some acceleration while the left is the brake. Hit the left bumper for a speed boost if you have one in the queue or use the Y Button to perform little stunts for show.

Click the image to watch Joy Ride.
The cars handle well enough, though I didn't feel Joy Ride had a whole lot of personality outside of the in-game Avatars. The single map I saw took place in a desert arena that was mostly flat and lifeless with a few cacti here or there that could be smashed through. Players could take jumps or do little tricks off of vertical ramps, but the racing is largely straightforward.

Perhaps more fun will come when we get a look at the battle modes that Joy Ride will almost surely have. Though BigPark wouldn't talk much about other modes, one representative did tell us that there were some rocket weaponry removed from the demo at the last minute.

The microtransaction model that Joy Ride sports might raise a few eyebrows. Though the game is free, you'll have to pay to get some of the more desirable content. That includes cars, Avatar clothing and game modes. Some of these will be free while others will come at a price. No final details are available as to how many modes or cars will be available for free. Thankfully, BigPark is structuring the game so that anybody can enjoy it, even if they don't' want to pay a dime. If one of your friends buys a new course to race on or mode to play, you can play on it without ponying up a dime. As long as one person owns the content, anybody can use it.

No set date of release is available just yet, though a BigPark representative told IGN they're targeting this winter.

jedimike

I was expecting some arcade games and demos to drop during E3. I know we just finished day one, but I was suprised when I turned on the 360 and saw that my marketplace looked exactly the same as it did yesterday. :(

mujun

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Duels of the Planeswalkers lets players simulate the Magic: The Gathering trading card game through lush interactive 3-D environments. The arcade-style game takes players on a journey through a vast Multiverse of unique worlds where they are deemed Planeswalkers, powerful mages who battle others for glory, knowledge and conquest.

Players can choose to battle against the computer or compete online against real-life opponents using Microsoft's Xbox LIVE Arcade. With numerous game play scenarios, including multiplayer game mode, Duels of the Planeswalkers offers an unrivaled depth in which each game is different from the last. Wizards of the Coast is supporting this release with an exclusive promotional card, which includes brand new artwork, making Duels of the Planeswalkers a game that both new and existing Magic players will enjoy.

"We're thrilled to introduce the Magic game experience to the Xbox LIVE community," said Greg Leeds, President of Wizards of the Coast. "Duels of the Planeswalkers will allow both new and experienced players to develop and test their skills in the ultimate battle of wits."

In June, fans can challenge game developers and famous Magic: The Gathering trading card game players in a Duels of the Planeswalkers tournament through Microsoft's online Game with Fame and Game with Developer events. Game with Fame will take place June 20 and Game with Developer will follow on June 27.

Introduced in 1993, Magic: The Gathering is the first and most widely played trading card game. With more than 10,000 different cards available, Magic offers an unrivaled depth of game play with several choices and customizations available for its players.

For additional information on Duels of the Planeswalkers, please visit the official website.

Developed by Stainless Games, Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers, rated T-Teen, will be available June 17, 2009.

xbhaskarx

jedimike said:
I was expecting some arcade games and demos to drop during E3. I know we just finished day one, but I was suprised when I turned on the 360 and saw that my marketplace looked exactly the same as it did yesterday. :(

Yeah they really dropped the ball this time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
E3 2009: Vandal Hearts Update

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/990/990332p1.html

June 2, 2009 - At Konami's E3 booth we were able to learn a few more details on the upcoming Vandal Hearts sequel, subtitled Flames of Judgment. The game takes place on the same continent as the original and ties into the story we played way back on the original PlayStation.

There will be around 20 missions in the campaign, but unlockable maps are waiting to be discovered in the standard environments. This is a single-player game, so your buddies are going to have to just sit there and watch you play.

Unlike the first Vandal Hearts there aren't character classes to choose from. But you can shape your units with the choices you make. A fighter that uses melee weapons a lot, for instance, will become more proficient with them than someone you hand a ranged tool. Each unit in your party can carry two weapons with them and can switch between them at your command.

Your units have chemistry with one another, and characters with a strong connection will receive a boost in battle. Building a relationship can be as simple as using similar weapons. There are also two love interests for the hero character, offering two possible endings depending on which he ends up getting' it on with.

Along your journey you'll encounter some enormous monsters that take up a good chunk of the screen. We saw a battle against a giant sand worm that emerged from its underground lair just to break our balls. The animal had to be put down.

Anyone who played the original Vandal Hearts should remember the geysers of blood that erupted when you defeated an enemy. We are happy to report these crimson eruptions are still here. That's why it's puzzling that the characters are presented in a kiddie art style. Motion comics tell the story in between battles. There will also be menu-based towns to visit where you can shop and chat with the locals. The art is a little generic, but we're hopeful the gameplay will provide some nice depth -- especially for a downloadable game.

We're fans of the original so hopefully this one won't break our heart. Look for it this winter.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Wolfenstein 3D is on live, its 196.76 MB and is only 400 spacebucks!!!

It says something about unlocking gold to purchase customizable weapons in the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom