• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabesque

But do you retroactively get chapters?

I'd hate to get it and not have access to the beginning chapters.

For mangabox, I don't believe so, but someone who has better experience with the service might be able to answer it.

For Weekly Shonen Jump, unless they changed from 2014, you are able to buy back all issues going back 3 months from the latest issue (each issue being $1 each). Anything older will be in volume releases (excluding Jump starts and one shots etc.)

In a sense, Crunchyroll is better because it gives you greater access through the majority of their back catalogue, but for a weekly reading experience I vastly prefer Viz's WSJ.

Usobuko

Banned
Could you not post pictures that spoil the whole chapter which just came out though?

Good chapter anyway, fucking cliffhangers and another month of waiting.

I'm sorry.

I usually pick images that best conveyed its message for the chapter instead of deliberately spoiling the story. I'll be more discreet with Vinland Saga in the future.

Turok_TTZ

Gintama 539

Oboro/Tendoshuu legit bastards.

I'm loving it. shaping up to be proper endgame unlike that unconscious jobber.

Sasaki truly had it rough. No wonder nobume is loyal to him.

dramatis

Could you not post pictures that spoil the whole chapter which just came out though?

Good chapter anyway, fucking cliffhangers and another month of waiting.

I'm sorry.

I usually pick images that best conveyed its message for the chapter instead of deliberately spoiling the story. I'll be more discreet with Vinland Saga in the future.
Reminders

We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

If you understand the content of the chapter you wish to discuss has significant spoilers for the series and wish to discuss without spoiler tags, and the chapter is a fresh (within 1 day) release, please add some additional detail to the bolded chapter title to indicate as such.
Reminder #1: Do not complain about spoilers when the OP explicitly states this is a spoiler tag-free thread.

Reminder #2: If the chapter is out for one day then just be graceful and use good judgement. People flip out over spoilers even for the dumbest junk.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Reminders

Reminder #1: Do not complain about spoilers when the OP explicitly states this is a spoiler tag-free thread.

Reminder #2: If the chapter is out for one day then just be graceful and use good judgement. People flip out over spoilers even for the dumbest junk.

I wish more people would just do this. The fact its technically allowed to just write a spoiler summary of a chapter that just came out with no real thoughts about the chapter doesn't mean you should.

Kyuur

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 15-16

Huh, I didn't think there would actually be 'plot advancement' in this series, guess I was wrong.

Hiroshi is truly a small beacon of light in the vast darkness.

I hope volumes are released for this over here at some point. I'd love to buy them.

Kieli

But do you retroactively get chapters?

I'd hate to get it and not have access to the beginning chapters.

I was able to read Attack on Titan because with Crunchyroll I had all of the chapters available not just the new ones.

You don't get backissues (though you can purchase them for a $1 each if you want).

If you find a manga you like, best bet is to probably buy the digital version (they usually have sales) to catch yourself up.

You also get free Yu-Gi-Oh cards, lol.

I lost one of them, but they seem to be pretty sweet.

IjnBDHG.png

Sorachi why?

I didn't want to feel this bad right now.

Arabesque

You also get free Yu-Gi-Oh cards, lol.

I lost one of them, but they seem to be pretty sweet.

*US and Canada only

Honestly, the transition into reading the official magazine isn't that bad, even though the 3 months limit does suck now since they started premiering every new series.

Zweizer

Banned
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou by Ashinano Hitoshi

In a not so distant future, where mankind has scaled back considerably, where most cities have all but disappeared, where nature is slowly reconquering Earth, Alpha, an exceedingly human-like robot, is watching over a small coffee shop in the middle of nowhere.

What is her life like?

Melancholic would be the first word that comes to mind while reading this. Indeed, although the series isn't particularily drama-heavy, the setting of a relatively sparsely-populated world coupled with Alpha's life discrepancy compared to most of her friends, as well as her frequent longing for a better understanding and expansion of her universe, make for a rather wistful mood. That is not to say that it's a depressing read. On the contrary, it's actually competent at balancing all kinds of tones, and it can range from all kinds of sweet moments, to those of wonder, or even to ones of hilarity, and is pretty relaxing, almost soothing, to read overall.

Accompanying the mood is Ashinano Hitoshi's gorgeous art, which fits the various moods well, but it is especially competent at depicting backgrounds befitting a slowly decaying civilization, and often graces the manga with beautiful sceneries. It manages to be both fairly simple, yet pleasant to the eyes.

As generally expected from a slice of life series, story progression if fairly sparse, but that is not to say it doesn't exist, as time actually flows within the manga, and we sometimes get to witness the changes brought with it. Its strength however lies mainly within the exploration and discoveries of the changed world, as well as the occasional glimpses into the backstory of the setting, generally told through the characters' own findings, which add greatly to the sense of wonder and to the witsful mood of the series.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is in short possibly one of the most beautifully crafted and unique slice of life series I have ever come across. Be it for its gentle, wistful melody that makes up its tone, its gorgeous visuals, or its subtle story, read it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Gonna be real honest here.

My kokoro went doki doki the moment that page appeared.

Pretty sure I already once said this.

But I'm saying it again anyway.

Soma is HANDSOME.

I've come to the conclusion that Tosh's style is better suited for yaoi or stuff that has a fujoshi audience in general.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm not a consumer of such genres but I find that he has more variety with dudes than girls, he can do the cool dude (Soma), the classy dude (blonde Italian guy), the angry dude (dark Soma), the bara dude (copycat guy) etc. etc. while the girls are all samey :/

Puruzi

Banned
I'm not a consumer of such genres but I find that he has more variety with dudes than girls, he can do the cool dude (Soma), the classy dude (blonde Italian guy), the angry dude (dark Soma), the bara dude (copycat guy) etc. etc. while the girls are all samey :/

The girls really aren't samey at all.

What.

rrvv

Is pretty obvious Soma is focused on male character. While the female character is simply for "marketing". I mean you can see that most of female character is simply cannon fooder so that you can see their foodgasm reaction

rrvv

Which is why Tadokoro is the best girl since she have many moment focused on her

Barely. I mean in term of story. She certainly better than most girl. but her story is simply "You are a normal girl. No matter how hard you try. You still cannot beat those who clearly superior to you"

rrvv

Except she isn't at all

Let see.

First meet with Soma: "Let see how awesome the MC is"
Fight with Italian dude: "You can see there is gap between you and senior"
Preliminary: "Congrats you just beaten other less relevant character"
Fight with Dark Soma: "You can see the MC rival is superior than you"
Paired with Erina: "You cannot do anything against superior girl"

Other than being cutie. She didnt do anything much. I was hoping we got more story when she got paired with Erina. But we dont for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom