• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

Zweizer

Banned
Aaaaah I love Terajin so much they really are one of my favourite artists~

Here's another one~

qJTBEGN.jpg

I haven't encountered a Sukusuku yet... Clearly I haven't eaten enough apples.

shockdude

While a lot of it is not for me, there is a really awesome trance version of Provincial Makai City Esoteria.
You referring to Pendulum? That happened to be the first track I listened to, and yeah it's quite good. The whole Trance for Treasureship album is good actually.
I still prefer CC*=Style's Provincial Makai City Esoteria arrange, probably because of CC*=Style's focus on lower pitches instead of high pitches.

ibyea

Banned
You referring to Pendulum? That happened to be the first track I listened to, and yeah it's quite good. The whole Trance for Treasureship album is good actually.
I still prefer CC*=Style's Provincial Makai City Esoteria arrange, probably because of CC*=Style's focus on lower pitches instead of high pitches.

Yeah, that's the one I am refering to.

As for the other one, I wouldn't know. I think Pendulum is the only remixed version of Makai City that I have listened to. ^_^

microfolk

My favourite version of Rural Makai Esoteria is the Secret Messenger's one, but admittedly it couldn't be more different from the trance arranges we are talking about if it tried ehe. I love that album though, it's openly inspired by Yuki Kajiura and it shows.

And talking about electronic music that focuses on lower pitches I have to talk about this track by Ruxia, it's so good~ The album is quite good too, but I seriously have to listen more to grey's arranges in particular, I like their arranges far fare more everyone's else ahaha

shockdude

My favourite version of Rural Makai Esoteria is the Secret Messenger's one, but admittedly it couldn't be more different from the trance arranges we are talking about if it tried ehe. I love that album though, it's openly inspired by Yuki Kajiura and it shows.

And talking about electronic music that focuses on lower pitches I have to talk about this track by Ruxia, it's so good~ The album is quite good too, but I seriously have to listen more to grey's arranges in particular, I like their arranges far fare more everyone's else ahaha

Secret Messenger's arrange is quite nice.
Is that Ruxia track an arrange of the main menu theme? Interesting. Not quite what I meant by "lower-pitched," but hey.

Yeah, that's the one I am refering to.

As for the other one, I wouldn't know. I think Pendulum is the only remixed version of Makai City that I have listened to. ^_^

CC*=Style is hard to find on Youtube, especially after Nitori's channel went down. But this will do.

cuc

Is the game also coming out on Steam? Also do you know if we buy on Playism EN, and it later releases on Steam, do we get a Steam key?

1) They are not saying anything.
2) Apparently that has always been their policy,

Oop, better get to finishing the OT then.

I was hoping they'd release more screenshots of it in English, but I guess even if Playism doesn't, I can always take a few and add them in later.

And now I'm wondering if I should mention Takkoman. I might put it in the FAQ, something like "I love the Touhou characters, but I hate vertical shooters. Are there any other sort of games to play?"

Zweizer

Banned
And now I'm wondering if I should mention Takkoman. I might put it in the FAQ, something like "I love the Touhou characters, but I hate vertical shooters. Are there any other sort of games to play?"

Yeah, I'd say it's a good idea to put a section for other kinds of games.

Playism has a release date: May 7.
http://playism-games.com/article/touhou-14-hits-playism-on-5-7-2015

The surprising part is that they are also releasing the fan game Takkoman on the same day. I don't think that game had even been announced by Playism Japan!
I don't think any Touhou fangame's made as strong a first impression on me as Takkoman did. Shame it didn't manage to maintain that brilliance throughout the game, but it was still high tier.

HGH

Banned
Did I read that tweet right? Are they bringing Tempest of Heaven and Earth to Playism next? Lionheart's games are amazing and I'd love for them to be spread around some more.

Do note that while Playism's website didn't mention it, their Twitter stated that the main game will be in Japanese, while the OS is in English.

So do make a mention in the OT that one has to download the fanmade English Patch if one wants to play it in English.

https://twitter.com/playismJP/status/594380885211787264

That's pretty different from what I was expecting. If that's the case then I'll probably want to give it a separate section for the translation patch.

I suppose that would actually explain why we haven't seen any real screenshots of the game in English.

It would also suggest that one of my biggest hopes, an ingame/config option that lets you reconfigure all of the keys instead of just the controller buttons, will likely not happen. If THAT's the case then I may also want to add autohotkeys to the OT as well.

It's a little disappointing if both are true, to be honest. I think I'll tweet PlayismEN about it to be certain.

Zweizer

Banned
Makes business sense, I suppose. They weren't going to retranslate all these games, and they probably weren't going to bother negotiating licensing the fan-translated patches.

Makes business sense, I suppose. They weren't going to retranslate all these games, and they probably weren't going to bother negotiating licensing the fan-translated patches.

Right, and I know this is pretty bad for me to say as a person who hasn't participated in any sort of translation or localization...but the Touhou shooter games aren't exactly crawling with text for the story. This isn't a JRPG. True there's 6 sets of text for every shot type but even then, it seems like something that could have been managed.

I'm sure there were reasons for this though. Remind me, does Playism even have an inhouse localization team? I feel like I remember hearing that La Mulana's localization was from outside help. That would help to explain things (even if it is still very unfortunate).

Zweizer

Banned
I'm sure there were reasons for this though. Remind me, does Playism even have an inhouse localization team? I feel like I remember hearing that La Mulana's localization was from outside help. That would help to explain things (even if it is still very unfortunate).

Their parent company, Active Gaming Media, does translations and localizations. If Wikipedia is to be believed, they even share the same offices, and AGM is often involved in the translation of games published by Playism.

demidar

Right, and I know this is pretty bad for me to say as a person who hasn't participated in any sort of translation or localization...but the Touhou shooter games aren't exactly crawling with text for the story. This isn't a JRPG. True there's 6 sets of text for every shot type but even then, it seems like something that could have been managed.

Translating isn't the difficult part, its implementation. From what I hear, encryption is fairly easy to break, but it still has to be done and it requires hacking knowledge. Then there's graphics design if you want to get fancy, selecting a font and making sure it doesn't break anything (text box clipping or even crashing the game).

shockdude

IIRC thcrap is in development hell; it doesn't support the Japanese Playism TH14, and I wouldn't expect it to support the western TH14 for a while.

Translating isn't the difficult part, its implementation. From what I hear, encryption is fairly easy to break, but it still has to be done and it requires hacking knowledge. Then there's graphics design if you want to get fancy, selecting a font and making sure it doesn't break anything (text box clipping or even crashing the game).

Very true, especially from a hacking/patch creation standpoint. I was thinking that perhaps Team Alice/ZUN might have been willing to assist them in this venture since the original files would have been with him since it's usually (though not always) the original devs that handle the reinsertation of the localization teams work into the original game to make new language versions. It just seemed logical in my mind that with the official support of ZUN on their side, that it was a doable thing.

Part of me is wondering if maybe this was part of the deal with ZUN to get the game released. If so, I wonder if that would have any influence on future touhou doujin games that get released (since we know that's what they are going for with stuff like Takkoman).

A new ULiL demo has been released, and is available right on the official website.

To quote somebody else on the changes :

Some of these changes might be clarifications rather than design changes. Hasty translations w/ dubious terminology:

The manual now differentiates between normal moving up & down and rushing up and down (Flight + direction, can be performed once before returning to center).

Dashes can be performed twice before returning to center.

Melee strings can be modified by direction keys.

Occult Attacks are now performed by Melee + Shoot.

Three comeback options:
* Comeback: when being blown away, press any action button or 4 + any button.
* Beatdown Avoidance: at the center, before becoming beaten down, press 4 + any button.
* Move-and-rise: when beaten down, press 4 or 6.

Kasen's dragon is called 黄帝 Koutei, a.k.a. Huang Di, the Yellow Emperor, China's greatest mythical ruler, also considered an exemplar Taoist in Taoist lore.

Kasen's two other spell cards are:
Wrapping Sign "Prosthetic Arm Proteus"
Eagle Sign "Hawk Beacon"

Also, 15 characters, baby!

Zweizer

Banned
This time's batch of translated doujinshi include the entirety of the (usually) hunger-inducing Girls' Speciality anthology, the stylish and refined SDM backstory The Flying Scarlet Devil Mansion, and most notably, A Day in the Life of Hakurei Reimu, the most surreal yet accurate depiction of Gensokyo you'll ever see.

Touhou in a nutshell.

Shit, I thought the date was Friday, not Thursday. I'll have the OT up soon. I was waiting for more info to come in from Playism but I'll work with what I've got get up something.

cj_iwakura

Shit, I thought the date was Friday, not Thursday. I'll have the OT up soon. I was waiting for more info to come in from Playism but I'll work with what I've got get up something.

Looks like they didn't even bother translating it. Someone'll have a patch out in days, I bet.

Looks like they didn't even bother translating it. Someone'll have a patch out in days, I bet.

Yeah, they really did go this route. I still want to have some sort of an OT up though. I claimed it, and it's Touhou's first English region release, translated or not.

Playism Games said:
Unlike other Bullet Hell shooting games, Double Dealing Character contains an intricate plot. Explore the story, understand the characters and learn more about the game.

tumblr_m7bjr0xDHj1rbsctpo1_500.jpg

shockdude

In lieu of an official localization, maybe pull some quality dialogue quotes from the wiki for the OT? Can't think of any at the top of my head, but there's gotta be something.

Ugh, I'm not even able to download the game now due to some error in the checkout process. The option to add the game to the cart says that it's processing and it won't let me add it, while the cart itself does not have the game. If I can't figure something out I may have to go get customer support to help out. This isn't how I was hoping to enjoy the launch day of this game...

The button finally reset and I was able to purchase the game without issue. Downloading it now.

Any last minute clever ideas for OT names?

microfolk

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: Wait, what's happening with my screen

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: Local wolf girl goes awoo

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: I'm gonna give ya a full-body afro!

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: No Mima is still not in

Touhou 14 Double Dealing Characters |OT|: Enjoy Sakuya she'll not be playable for the next 8 years

I suck at this

Top Bottom