• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Minamoto-kun Monogatari 166 raw

32355-Dayum-Dayum-DAYUM-Five-Guys-re-iuGN.gif

Naruto Gaiden 2

lol sasuke is a luddite
it will be interesting to see if these guys really are orochimaru's subjects.
poor sarada too tho

One Piece 785

got damn gear 4 is cool as hell
inb4 doflamingo gets back up though
interested to learn more about this "awakening"

Bleach 625

hey a chapter that didn't take me only a minute to read
and it was a pretty good one too

Zweizer

Banned
Heart of Thomas by Hagio Moto

A young teen kills himself in hopes of making an everlasting impression on the object of his affections. Soon afterwards, a new student enrolls. Trouble is, he looks nearly identical to the boy who commited suicide a short while ago!

What happens when you take the usual shoujo romance tropes, but use young teenage boys as actors of the story? You'll probably get something close to Heart of Thomas. Most likely due to its age, I have to admit I didn't find the story nor the characters very compelling, as they felt dated and overbearing, and I had a hard time empathizing with any of them. The heavily religious tones work decently into the story, even if they're rather heavy-handed and sometimes clumsy.

The art itself is rather pretty, though it's not particularily distinguishable from the standard shoujo look, and does the job well, even if the characters' experessions can be stiff at times.

All in all, a decent but rather dated story about love, death and religion.

Nordicus

Haru x Kiyo 8

Koharu's family is big...hearted, yes. Even the dog! And the brother's 12 flippin' years old!
I'm glad Mineta's the kind of guy to make sure any relationship issues are dealt with when Koharu is acting awkward, evasive and afraid. He doesn't let Koharu's insecurities and worries brew for very long

Jintor

You don't have to taste venom just to make chocolate sweet.

i was being somewhat facetious.

i was also trying to figure out why i like some things that i like that, by rights, i shouldn't like, since they're theoretically incompatible with other things i like

Oni Yashiki / Skeleton Sister (one-shots)
Two shoujo shorts by the same author, both with some slight spookiness. Oni Yashiki was a doki doki story about a school club's budgetary woes, which left me with more of a smile than I was expecting. Skeleton Sister was a sweet romance between two partially dead folks, with a bit more meat on its bones. Nothing particularly special, but I'd be interested in reading more from the author. Shame that these seem to be the only things they've done.

D-Gray Man Vol 7

dQarpy7.jpg

The series is full on suffering and its the good kind.😎

This has to be one of my favorite arcs in Shonen with the attack on the Black Order in line as well, like man was it really impactful and emotional. Seeing Suman disappear out of thin air was goddamn suffering. Then seeing Allen's reaction with his blank face was extremely sad. Though just seeing Allen get straight up stabbed in the heart made me feel speechless when I saw it for the first time. His dead eyes really expressed his current predicament. When Lenalee finally made it to Allen's location to only see his blood stains and not his body really destroyed me inside. For her to find out he was dead, told by the China department which wasn't true was despair worthy. I mean seeing her face and body expression completely dead was too much. Though we find out Allen's at the China department getting treated.

When this Level 3 Akuma was first introduced it sent chills down my spine. Like when he was shown I knew for the fact that Lenalee's crew on the ship were completely screwed. The way the Akuma was drawn (thumbs up to Hoshino) added lots of atmosphere and tension, it added this creepy and insane vibe. My god did this fucker completely rekt everybody like they were fodders. It was only Lenalee who could keep up and even then she was outclassed. Seriously it's been a long time since a Shonen series had brought upon this kind of immense and atmospheric danger like in D-Gray Man.

Droplet

Had assumed there would have been more than just his death.

There's an "ING" on dead hero's costume, which I assume is short for his hero name. Plus the outfit looks like Iida's hero costume and knowing Iida he based it off his brother's.

Poor Iida got wrecked twice this chapter. :|

360pages

I actually started reading Dragon Ball Mutiverse, it's actually pretty fun, but it would be a lot more enjoyable if the pacing wasn't completely fucked.

Every tournament chapter, we get a chapter of events that we probably could have guessed or figured out anyway. Slowing it to a crawl, even with a page a day, getting past back story dumps is kind of eh.

Moaradin

Anyone know if Black Clover is any good? I recently subscribed to jump so I'm looking for more things to read. I'm only reading One Punch Man and My Hero Academia right now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anyone know if Black Clover is any good? I recently subscribed to jump so I'm looking for more things to read. I'm only reading One Punch Man and My Hero Academia right now.

It's extremely generic.
Like, it's every Shonen you've ever read.
It's Naruto, it's Negima, it even has the dungeons from Magi.

This would be okay if it was good... but it's just average.

Moaradin

It's extremely generic.
Like, it's every Shonen you've ever read.
It's Naruto, it's Negima, it even has the dungeons from Magi.

This would be okay if it was good... but it's just average.

Eh, guess I'll pass then. I love Shoneny ass shit but not if it's completely average like you say.

Would you take recommendations outside of Shonen, for instance something like Seinen that's really good?

Average. It's very by the books. It's not bad, but there's nothing inspiring about it either.

Blood Blockade Battlefront Vol.05

V2S9KGIl.jpg

I'm liking this mix of slice of life stories with an over the top action ones. But I will say the ones I like the most are the slice of life ones since its pretty cool to see how this world is.

But the action stuff is still pretty well down. A little hectic, but still crazy awesome.

Blood Blockade Battlefront Vol.05

V2S9KGIl.jpg

I'm liking this mix of slice of life stories with an over the top action ones. But I will say the ones I like the most are the slice of life ones since its pretty cool to see how this world is.

But the action stuff is still pretty well down. A little hectic, but still crazy awesome.

Quality wise, how good are Darhorse's releases of Kekkai Sensen manga Vols? Are the translation good as well?

Attack on Titan 69

So this arc is finally over right?

We got some Levi backstory and
Historia got crowned Queen.

Fully expect for them to remember Annie exists and for her to be gone now

Nah, of course not. What I meant was every artist has their own artstyle and from what I had seen in D.Gray man bosses undergo a bishounen transformation.

Oh now I understand, yeah it's true that some of the bosses do go through a Bishonen transformation. Though the thing with Hoshino the Mangaka for D-Gray Man is that her artstyle drastically changes as the series goes on. Like I don't know if it has to do with the many hiatus but current D-Gray Man is more Bishonen looking then the beginning of the series. I mean her art is profound with her gothic and Lovecraftian style, which I highly appreciate. Her character designs are always appealing. Plus she also drew the character designs for Sunrise's anime Valvrave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom