• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Tansut

To those who have seen all four movies, how would you rank the villains?
If we're ranking just the big baddies of each movie then I'd go with something like this.

Toecutter
Immortal Joe
Lord Humongous
Aunty

I don't really have anything to add about Fury Road that hasn't been said already, by the way. What a movie.

DMczaf

This more than made up for the overhyped "popcorn blockbusters" Furious 7 and Avengers. I was so bored of those movies.

Felt good watching action that was actually suspenseful.

Dominator

I can't believe what I just watched. What an incredible movie, oh my god.

This is the ultimate blue/orange movie haha, but I can't get enough. Going again tomorrow night I have to see it again.

This movie just flat out embarrasses all the other action movies we've been getting for the past decade. I haven't loved a movie more than this one in a long time.

Just got out from seeing it again. Still amazing.

For best enjoyment you need to sit a good deal back from the screen to take everything in. So many small details get lost if you're too close.

3d was take it or leave it. Some nice depth in desert shots but overall you're not missing much.

Pacing reminded me of Raiders or T2 in that you can't take your eyes off the screen. Over way too fast.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Tom Hardy as good as he was as Bane?

I want to see this, but I just don't go to the theaters. It can't be as bad as my experience was with my physical copy of RAGE on PC a couple years ago.

Ezalc

This movie just flat out embarrasses all the other action movies we've been getting for the past decade. I haven't loved a movie more than this one in a long time.

I disagree with this sentiment. I mean, I loved this movie. I enjoyed it much more than Furious 7 and I haven't even seen Avengers due to the hype I had for this movie. But to give just one example, Dredd was released in what 2013? That was a fantastic action movie. It's one of the few recent movies I've rewatched completely due to how good the conflicts are and how Dredd himself and Anderson are presented as characters. I know some people talk about the Raid too, I only watched half the first one and had to stop because I honestly didn't like how things were going. The action in that might be fun and I don't think any of these movies has a particularly DEEP story, but in that one it was just awful. I constantly kept asking why a character would not do something that would make their lives easier.

I got sidetracked, but I feel like this is a wonderful action movie but saying that it embarrasses all other action movies in the past decade is pure exaggeration.

Was able to catch a showing after work. Wow, completely blown away. They're making two more of these right? I hope this one does well. Definitely watching this again.

If we're ranking just the big baddies of each movie then I'd go with something like this.

Toecutter
Immortal Joe
Lord Humongous
Aunty

I don't really have anything to add about Fury Road that hasn't been said already, by the way. What a movie.

And funny enough, Toecutter and Immortal Joe are both played by Hugh Keays-Byrne. The same actor 36 years later.

Heh. I shoulda thought to look that up too. Good pull.

I don't think Ebert ever wrote a review for the first Mad Max movie (at least I can't find one) and they didn't cover the Road Warrior on Siskel and Ebert At The Movies. But both Siskel and Ebert did review Thunderdome: http://siskelandebert.org/video/U9U...e--Silverado--Mad-Max-Beyond-Thunderdome-1985 (16 minutes in) and they both loved it. Which is interesting because Thunderdome has always been the least favorite of the original trilogy with fans.

Ebert loved it so much that he wanted to see a Mad Max 4, shame that he never did :(

Trey

I don't want to tread on too much ground that has already been eloquently covered by various other posters as I too thought the movie was fantastic. I just want to (further) speak on how expertly done the action was.

There are so many moving parts to all of the setpieces, and the movie juggled them with gusto. There are people climbing all over these vehicles doing all sorts of things but it was thoroughly shot and extremely clear. It's not often a movie can pull off such mayhem with this much intimacy. And the stakes would just continue to ramp up organically; warboys in little vehicles would invade and be rebuffed only for a bigger and badder rig to pull up. The pacing was a crescendo with each beat a raucous bang, only more fearsome and bold than the last. And while we know the heroes must prevail, there is always a sense of vulnerability with every poke, shot and explosion.

The preciseness was startling. And refreshing.

D23

Have zero interest in this movie prior to release. Wow. Absolutely crazy. I never seen anything like it. I have to watch it again.

hamchan

I have no idea what is happening. Maybe its an instrument of being in the dark and not getting swept by hype.

I thought that was bad. At least i stayed. We had people walk out of the showing here in Cedar Park TX and at the very moment where we all agreed the movie was a bust, i guess; that being the moment they decided to go
back to the citadel

Like the plot, it was just a waste of time. Max could have used a dose of charisma i have no idea what i iust watched but fuck me reading people place this at top 5.

I don't think so, unless you really think everyone praising the film is only doing so because of hype.

Jarmel

Banned
So let me elaborate a bit. While all the previous Mad Max films were post-apocalyptic, there was the notion that humans could still survive. Obviously it would be hard living but it was possible that rebuilding to some degree could occur. However in Fury Road's world that is almost completely impossible. The planet is just fucked. There's no real salvation to be found here. It's very bleak in a manner that MM 2 and 3 weren't, not only in the smaller details but the tone as well. There's a ton of detail put into making the post-apocalyptic world feel 'real' and I think it's somewhat emotionally draining because of that. The previous films were a bit campier and this slices off all of that, leaving you with a more raw experience.

There is so much visually depicting the world Max lives in, that it really helps with characterization. Because of how bad off the world is, the audience gains an appreciation for the mental state of the characters. Seeing Max's dead wife and child constantly flash in front of him builds up his trauma in a much more effective manner than anything in the previous films even with Gibson's portrayal. Max here is much more tortured and I think the visual direction did wonders in making that apparent. The characters are just constantly surrounded by loss and death that it becomes second-nature.

I could rave about how excellent the sound direction was, the wide-shots, the effective use of music with the percussion, or how great Theron's stuff was but it's really the world building that's left an impact on me.

Had a long, horrible couple of weeks at work, culminating in a fourteen hour day today. Got out of there and had the urge to go to the movies. I don't really keep up to date on releases. Apparently this came out today? Went to the 9:30 show and the theater was practically empty.

It's too bad because this movie is way better than it has any business being. Worth the price of admission just for the sheer amount of style it brings to the screen. As long as you can just give yourself up to the premise, it's a fantastic ride.

Speevy

Banned
I have no idea what is happening. Maybe its an instrument of being in the dark and not getting swept by hype.

I thought that was bad. At least i stayed. We had people walk out of the showing here in Cedar Park TX and at the very moment where we all agreed the movie was a bust, i guess; that being the moment they decided to go
back to the citadel

Like the plot, it was just a waste of time. Max could have used a dose of charisma i have no idea what i iust watched but fuck me reading people place this at top 5.

That's what I've been saying about positive praise. It's useless to look at RT before a movie, especially one in the action genre.

I thought it was a fun movie, as in very exciting and not boring.

Saw it and loved it. Had to see it in 3D though as that was the only time that fit my schedule and I have to see it again in 2D, can't stand 3D. I'm sure there's going to be lots of people that simply don't get this movie, but who cares. Those that do are in for a 2 hour blast.

Sojgat

Which track in the soundtrack is the one that plays at this part of the Fury Road trailer?

https://youtu.be/hEJnMQG9ev8?t=1m30s

Bad news.

I've discovered that it is apparently a cover of the Radiohead song Street Spirit by the group Superhuman, per their Facebook page here. Note that the original song sounds VASTLY different to the cover, and the cover isn't publicly available, though there's a chance Superhuman may post it on their Facebook page as it looks like they've done so with other tracks used in trailers.

back to the citadel

Have literally seen no previous entries, saw no trailers, and went cause someone invited me. I think this was a masterpiece of an action film. So no.

Again, I went completely in the dark. I haven't checked RT since the first Avengers movie. I'm not hating on people who enjoy it; it's just not for me. Noisy, exhausting, and when it stops, the movie pushes the
rewind button.
. I do not know what I was supposed to take away from that.

Great editing I guess.

i think you're really simplifying that plot point
they had two choices: risk death and starvation by wandering the barren wasteland, or go back to a place they know has water and food and is less defended due to the war parties after them. the latter choice meant more likeliness of imminent death but also a chance for longer-term survival. It's no different from other stories where an army lures people out of the defensible position in order to take it over. and it was a cool ending that furiosa removes the patriarchy and establishes control

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Again, I went completely in the dark. I haven't checked RT since the first Avengers movie. I'm not hating on people who enjoy it; it's just not for me. Noisy, exhausting, and when it stops, the movie pushes the
rewind button.
. I do not know what I was supposed to take away from that.

Great editing I guess.
The point was that
the heroes realise their 'green place' doesn't exist, so the only option if they were to find a place to survive was to challenge Joe and become the new leaders.
Which makes no sense as the action serves no purpose. About as confusing as telling me a film was a masterpiece of prop design.
I don't understand what you mean by the action serving no purpose. It was always moving the story forward.

To me, action that serves no purpose is Hulk fighting Iron Man in Avengers 2 just so we can watch a city getting trashed. Fury Road was refreshing in the sea of recent blockbusters in that the action always served the characters and the story.

Which makes no sense as the action serves no purpose. About as confusing as telling me a film was a masterpiece of prop design.
The cinematography, the practical effects and stuntwork, the fantastic world building, the subtle storytelling, the brutal wild yet always clear action...
Those are what made the film special. That was top-tier masterclass action in terms of scale and execution.

Speevy

Banned
What I liked about the movie was that it felt like the heroes of the film could actually die. They faced overwhelming odds and were being killed like people who faced overwhelming odds. It wasn't like The Avengers where no matter what happened, every character survived and nothing mattered.

It had a lot of dizzying action pieces, but I could always tell who the good guys were and who the bad guys were.

big_z

does the 3D add anything or is it at least well done? my theater is only showing 2D at very select times so it seems like ill be forced into 3D.

I appreciate that, but if i overthink it, the more i'll wind up hating it. For example (rhetorical), why wasn't that plan taken into consideration to earlier?

Well if they did, there wouldnt be 100 minutes of car fighting.

Again, the plot isn't important and I don't want it to make sense. The core of the movie is the action but action for the sake of getting one dimensional characters from point A to B and then to whereever isn't for me.

Carry on.
The plan wasn't taken into consideration because they didn't know
the sanctuary wasn't there.
Max on the other hand just wanted to get out alive. He didn't care at all at the start. I don't understand why you're struggling so much to understand this movie.

The action totally serves a purpose. And you know this too. "Masterpiece of prop design" could be a valid statement for a film as well. It's okay to not like things you don't understand.

does the 3D add anything or is it at least well done? my theater is only showing 2D at very select times so it seems like ill be forced into 3D.
I prefer 2D (saw 3D since we got passes) but it was... alright. Not worth a second viewing just for the 3D IMO.

Edit - Oops, misread your post! I'd go for 2D, but the 3D didn't ruin it.

Blizzard

Banned
Mini-review from seeing it in 2D:

I like the quote from a review which says, "Every single prop, costume and character looks insanely cool, like a world war erupted at Burning Man."

Charlize Theron is BAD ASS. She carries a lot of the movie. Tom Hardy is kind of an assistant. There are a lot of strong women characters which is pretty awesome.

There were some crazy lightning-flashing seizure-inducing scenes, but I liked that there wasn't much shaky cam throughout the movie.

There were some pretty neat designs, and I want to drive some sort of crazy videogame vehicle covered in chrome skulls and machine guns. The action was explosive, and the camera shots were nice. The characters were decent. I kind of wish there had been more focus on crazy rock/metal music with vehicle combat, instead of so many guys climbing and jumping around.

Overall I'm not totally sure what to think. I wasn't left feeling like it was the best thing ever, but for crazy vehicle action movies, it was pretty solid.

(I just used "crazy" 4 times in this post, which sums up the movie pretty well.)

Speevy

Banned
It's a fairly standard movie plot, though it's sort of different because of the bleakness in this particular world.
]Characters are faced with a choice. They can either enjoy the safety of getting out alive while leaving others to suffer, or they can risk their lives and take on the bigbad head-on.

Let's review.

There are three locations in the film. A=citadel; B=sanctuary; C=?

So yes, they had no reason to know the sanctuary doesn't exist yet they took the risk to drive from points A to B. Along the way a tion action action. Cool.

They get to B. Find out they're trolled. They make plans to drive to C which, like A, they have no reason to believe doesn't exist. Yet this time, they instead decide it isn't worth the risk. A --> B didn't work, why would B ---> C? Well because apparently "hope" now is realized in A when it wasn't earlier in the film. Yeah, there's no story here for me. Sorry.

I mean, had the plot centered on an elaborate plan to drive to B only to lure Sweet Tooth out in the open to end his reign, I could have bought into it all. Sadly for me, my suspension of disbelief can only take me so far.

This is because they see the opportunity to seize it while it's unguarded and trap the bad guys on the wrong side of the canyon.

lR2bcFA.gif

Snaku da gawd

First time this meme made me guffaw out loud

So, just got home from seeing it. I've been waiting for so long for this... Mad Max is one of my favourite films series, so my expectations were high considering George Miller did this one as well.

It was absolutely fucking amazing in every way. Go see it. Seriously. Hype justified. Based George Miller. It is known.

Top Bottom