• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max Fury Road Spoiler Thread | Furiosa kills Thanos and Ultron while Max watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

I love how tiny bits of info sprinkled througout the movie gave huge amount of backstory that you just filled in in your head while watching. Masterful scriptwriting right there.

A question though from what I understood: Was Joe, People Eater and that Gun-grampa brothers? And what was the relation between that tiny fat dude in the chair and Joe? Were Joe the father of all his "lieutenants?"

Let's fucking do this.

So Nux is secret best character in this, right? His arc is tremendous.

You see why he's so motivated and desperate to die gloriously on the Fury Road; because he's going to die soon anyway. He'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than wither and die, so while it's funny to see him fail multiple times, it's kind of heartbreaking with that info in mind.

Title should have been "Furiosa kills Thanos and Ultron"

IOf7I2u.gif

I was shocked at how upset I was at his death.

Honestly, I was actually happy about it. He got what he wanted in the beginning, but he now desired it for completely different reasons. He wanted to die a hero, and he absolutely was one. Funny how that works.

obin_gam

Let's fucking do this.

You see why he's so motivated and desperate to die gloriously on the Fury Road; because he's going to die soon anyway. He'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than wither and die, so while it's funny to see him fail multiple times, it's kind of heartbreaking with that info in mind.

All the War Boys were the best characters :) #NotMediocre

duckroll

I think it was very fitting that one of the longest dialogue exchanges in the entire film was between one of the breeders and Nux, when she first finds him on the rig. I was expecting some generic cheesy "horror" moment where she's on look out, unaware he was creeping behind her, and then he tries to attack only to be taken out by someone else (again!). Instead it was a really touching moment where she shows compassion and understanding for his situation, knowing that everyone is simply a product of their environment. It said so much about the psychology of some of the people in this crazy setting, and really humanized the film for me.

Caode

Let's fucking do this.

I loved Theron as Furiosa through out the film, her performance was incredible and is getting singled out among the rest in a lot of reviews but I think I came away from the film regarding Hoult as pulling off the very best work among a very good bunch. He was amazing in it.

Hamlet

Let's fucking do this.

He sure was. Going from a gag character at the start to actually feeling pretty sad about his death at the end. His friend though was pretty amusing throughout it. Lol at him trying to get in Immortan Joe's car also, with Max's boot.

All the War Boys were the best characters :) #NotMediocre

He sure was. Going from a gag character at the start to actually feeling pretty sad about his death at the end. His friend though was pretty amusing throughout it. Lol at him trying to get in Immortan Joe's car also, with Max's boot.

Nux's friend was fucking awesome. Just a total shitheel to Max the whole goddamn time.

I think it was very fitting that one of the longest dialogue exchanges in the entire film was between one of the breeders and Nux, when she first finds him on the rig.

I expected the cheesy horror thing too, so it was actually really poignant to me that they ended up just talking in general. Especially when you remember that it's likely that that's the first conversation Nux has ever had with someone who actually gave a damn. War Boys are all looked at as disposable; only worthy in death. They set that up with the guy jumping with the spears onto the car. It's a sad existence. And the only reason he's able to break free of it and have true closure is because he's just along for the ride.

duckroll

I think one of the most fucked up things in the film was how they depicted Immortan Joe's emotions. He's not an emotionless psychopath, but rather a warlord who truly believes that the women and the their children are his property. You can see his "concern" for his wives being taken, his anger at losing them, his devastation at losing one of them and the child, but they're not out of love or affection, but rather from a close personal investment in the ownership of these people. It's so sick, but it worked so well.

Yeah, Immortan Joe was super interesting. He's not a card carrying quip dropping charismatic villain, but he's someone who believes in his ways 100%, even if they're completely fucked up and unacceptable.

The bit where Furiosa FINALLY makes it to him and sacrifices her own prosthetic arm to rip his goddamn face off is the most satisfying villain death I've seen in a long, long time. That shit was earned.

obin_gam

Nux's friend was fucking awesome. Just a total shitheel to Max the whole goddamn time.

I expected the cheesy horror thing too, so it was actually really poignant to me that they ended up just talking in general. Especially when you remember that it's likely that that's the first conversation Nux has ever had with someone who actually gave a damn. War Boys are all looked at as disposable; only worthy in death. They set that up with the guy jumping with the spears onto the car. It's a sad existence. And the only reason he's able to break free of it and have true closure is because he's just along for the ride.

They seemed to love it though, they weren't slaves per say I would argue, just brainwashed to the point that they did it willingly and out of pure excitement. The "Kamikrazee" (or what it was) nick name felt fitting.

Experien

Is there much spoiler/story to really fill this out?

Most I can say is that i thought more people would die and doubly thought that after the pregnant chick got it. I was like, "well no one is safe!" But then everyone was safe really :/

Yeah, Immortan Joe was super interesting. He's not a card carrying quip dropping charismatic villain, but he's someone who believes in his ways 100%, even if they're completely fucked up and unacceptable.

The bit where Furiosa FINALLY makes it to him and sacrifices her own prosthetic arm to rip his goddamn face off is the most satisfying villain death I've seen in a long, long time. That shit was earned.

His design was fucking badass too. Really had the look of a villain from an 80's b-movie, in the best possible way. I could totally see that face on the back of a tattered VHS box.

Sojgat

Hardy has so few lines, yet every time he said something it sounded like he was using a different voice.

At one point it really sounded like he was trying to do an Australian accent. Somehow it just works though.

Hardy has so few lines, yet every time he said something it sounded like he was using a different voice.

At one point it really sounded like he was trying to do an Australian accent. Somehow it just works though.

There was definitely a bit of Bane in there.

Timeaisis

Thank god. Now I can discuss this movie freely!

So as far as the War Boys go, they're clearly irradiated and probably have short life spans. Which explains the need for frequent blood transfusions -- from "blood bags", like Max. It's cool how that was weaved in to be Immortan Joe's warriors. They essentially have nothing to live for so he creates this vision of Valhalla and promises them riches and wealth in the afterlife if they follow him. And they of course do.

I thought that was a really interested concept explored in the film. Also, the fact that everyone is a commodity in the movie -- especially Max (shown near the end when he transfuses his blood to Furiosa). Also, the five wives are a commodity because they can bear healthy children, which seems like a rare thing nowadays.

So since we can speak freely in here, what's everybody's favorite sequence?

For me, it's either Max vs Furiosa, or the Polecat sequence. Max finally getting the gun loaded and firing off like three inches from her head was the best 'cut your fucking shit out' move ever.

And the Polecats. What the FUCK. Who thinks of that?! Max fighting upside down with his head scraping the ground was terrifying, and I knew he wasn't gonna eat it!

Calabi

That's a damn good title, made me laugh.

Anyway about the film what blood type was Max I guess they wrote into his back I missed it.

For me, it's either Max vs Furiosa, or the Polecat sequence. Max finally getting the gun loaded and firing off like three inches from her head was the best 'cut your fucking shit out' move ever.

And the Polecats. What the FUCK. Who thinks of that?! Max fighting upside down with his head scraping the ground was terrifying, and I knew he wasn't gonna eat it!

The two scenes that immediately come to mind are Immortan Joe's War Boys vs Furiosa's War Boys, and the middle chase, when Furiosa lets Max take the wheel and they start working together.

I love that even though the War Boys are fucking insane fanatics, they still have a system that works. Plus, I don't know why, but I loved the assistant who would just casually pop in the driver side window and check in with her.

And, of course, the first WITNESS ME! WITNESS ME! scene there. SO fucking hype.

When Furiosa and Max are finally working together, taking out the biker gang, with the music swelling in the background--I may have shed a tear.

EDIT: Oh, and when Furiosa was reunited with her clan. I don't know why, but that scene really stuck with me--you could really feel the sense of joy that Furiosa had as these awesome biker women surrounded them and then came down to greet them.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

The final action sequence, definitely. Polecats, the brutal shootouts (are people saying this is barely R insane? Squibs everywhere!), Furiosa climbing to Immortan...just bliss.

The final action sequence, definitely. Polecats, the brutal shootouts (are people saying this is barely R insane? Squibs everywhere!), Furiosa climbing to Immortan...just bliss.

I dunno about barely R, but it definitely wasn't a hard R. Not that it ever felt like it was holding back though, it was as violent as it needed to be.

Sojgat

The big end sequence with the polecats and guitar man (best battlefield musician ever). The action sequences just keeps one-upping themselves throughout the movie. Amazing since they pretty much start with the dial set to 11.

Timeaisis

This. They tattoo'd 'universal donor' on his back because of it.

Oh shit I totally missed that but kind of deduced it anyway. Haha. That's awesome.

My favorite scene...well I have two. For action it's Max on the polecat. That was intense. The explosion int he background, he seems legit shook. Incredible sequence all around. Second favorite action part would probably be Max's fight with Doof and Furiosa trying to get to Joe simultaneously. That was just tremendously cool and the wiring stuff kind of reminded me of the Thunderdome fight. Might have been a callback.

As far as scenes for visual immersion, my favorite is really, really brief. When they are riding through the "wastes" at night with all the mud and shit, they finally get up the hill after taking out one of the brothers. They're an awesome shot with the War Rig sillhoutted in the background and these guys on stilts walking through the mud. It was just a "what the hell?" moment for me and reminded the audience that in this wild and crazy world, anything goes.

The two scenes that immediately come to mind are Immortan Joe's War Boys vs Furiosa's War Boys, and the middle chase, when Furiosa lets Max take the wheel and they start working together.

I love that even though the War Boys are fucking insane fanatics, they still have a system that works. Plus, I don't know why, but I loved the assistant who would just casually pop in the driver side window and check in with her.

Oooh, yeah, the first initial chase was awesome. The driver checking in casually by just jumping from car to car was hilarious. And it eventually gave us our first instance of Nux fucking up!

That's me, and yeah...the final sequence brings the fucking heat, blood wise. Shit gets real. There's just so much going on in that whole sequence, from the crazy Polecat shit to Furiosa laying Joe the fuck out

And oh my fucking god the flamethrower guitar man

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno about barely R, but it definitely wasn't a hard R. Not that it ever felt like it was holding back though, it was as violent as it needed to be.
Just like the old Mad Max movies. They were never made for gorehounds.
I had a thought that this is about as violent as any summer blockbuster in terms of what it depicts (with the exception maybe of Immortan Joe's demise), but the big difference is that here it's not sanitised.

duckroll

After they right into the sand storm, and the last car just getting sucked out and flipped by the storm, then everything turns into a crazy nightmare vision of white, black, and red flashes up until Max and Nux get flipped away. That's the strongest visual sequence in the film I think. It just felt relentless and horrifying. Force of nature in full effect.

in terms of fights, I'll have to go with Max vs Furiosa too. Love the camerawork and there was a very primal feeling in the combat. They were both confused, it didn't look staged like most "cool" fights, and once Nux got into it the chaotic nature of the 3 way struggle worked amazingly well.

Timeaisis

Can we talk about how fucking brilliant the music rig is? It's like the greatest thing ever. And it makes so much goddamn sense, even though it's completely insane. Of course you'd need a banner-man in battle to inspire the troops, and what better than a fucking electric guitar and giant drums? Especially considering vehicles can get damn load.

Brilliant shit.

Just like the old Mad Max movies. They were never made for gorehounds.
I had a thought that this is about as violent as any summer blockbuster in terms of what it depicts (with the exception maybe of Immortan Joe's demise), but the big difference is that here it's not sanitised.

That sounds pretty perfect to me. This isn't a particularly gory movie, but it's not sugarcoating anything. Hell, I don't think they curse much either.

The night stuff is so good, even if it's so quiet. Max getting covered in some other dude's blood offscreen was a real good 'dont fuck with this guy' moment. Max is a fucking savage.

Sojgat

Can we talk about how fucking brilliant the music rig is? It's like the greatest thing ever. And it makes so much goddamn sense, even though it's completely insane. Of course you'd need a banner-man in battle to inspire the troops, and what better than a fucking electric guitar and giant drums? Especially considering vehicles can get damn load.

Brilliant shit.

That one scene where the war party pulls up, and Guitar-Man (I'm making that his official name) plays ever slowing chords as they roll to a stop... fucking genius.

Brilliant shit.

Haha, I loved EVERY scene he was in. It was the Doof Wagon, right? So I assume the guitarist was the Doof Warrior?

in terms of fights, I'll have to go with Max vs Furiosa too. Love the camerawork and there was a very primal feeling in the combat. They were both confused, it didn't look staged like most "cool" fights, and once Nux got into it the chaotic nature of the 3 way struggle worked amazingly well.

This may sound odd, but that scene really just confirmed that Miller is a real deal master. Part of me was worried, for some reason, that any hand-to-hand fights would be shaky. I don't know why I thought that. Dude knows what he's doing when it comes to action, whether it's shooting multiple vehicles all engaged in combat or a simple hand-to-hand encounter.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
In case people don't know, doof is an Australianism for loud music. 'Doof doof music' = EDM.

obin_gam

I really hope the game makes use of this soundtrack... I need more War Boys and Doof Jr to be apart of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom