• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Marginal by Hagio Moto

In a distant future, on a barren Earth, where women have all but disappeared, with the remaining humans relying on a sole "Mother" for the birth of new children. In such a hostile world, following several years devoid of children, a group of dejected villagers conspire to kill "Mother", and during their homicidal quest, come across a strange young boy...

Marginal tells of a greatly engrossing story that blends fantasy and sci-fi elements smoothly within an intriguing universe, which sadly is somewhat hampered by generally unlikeable characters. My own gripes with the cast aside, I found Hagio Moto's take on a world devoid of women rather interesting, and the manga features some fascinating ideas on one's gender, which seems to be a recurring theme for the author.

All in all, an engaging post-apocalyptic story.

Lain

Saki 136-143

Boooooring. I expected more from Nodoka and the start for Saki is pretty underwhelming. Actually, this whole match has been underwhelming. It's one thing to make things exciting by propping up the opponents, but Kiyosumi as a whole has shown some disappointing playing, getting schooled left and right.
The unfinished drawings here and there are another disappointment but heh.

dani_dc

Time to start new mangas recommanded by GAF : first Monster Musume, then One Punch-Man.
Damn, the first one is so lewd ^^. I knew I shouldn't be reading this while commuting...
Just wait until we get you to start reading Prison School!

Plus reading it while commuting only increases the thrill of reading lewd.

brassica

I already read Prison School while commuting (and To Love-ru Darkness), also on GAF recommandation, but at least I kew for what to expect ^^
So the mangaka was an artist on Pixiv? Interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The next chapter will open with "SEVERAL YEARS LATER" as a title card and will show Touta, clearly beaten-up after a big fight, but still good-natured, who will say: "well, that whole adventure sure was crazy! I can't believe we beat the final boss and I got all those power-ups!" Kuromaru, dressed in a gender-ambiguous fashion, blushes, as does Kirie and a mysterious girl who looks like Evangeline but possibly isn't her.

The end.

Red Blood Red Legacy (current)

Didnt realize she actually enjoys having her blood sucked.

District Hakkenshi Code [T-8] 74

Time skip and look who shows up, a powered up Shino I bet. Kind of enjoy how Sousuke is also a key member on that Code T-8 Squad.

Usobuko

Banned
The more I read Kengan Ashura, the more I like it.

While it's a pretty nationalistic and Japan-centric like Baki, it does a phenomenal job in illustrating and hyping all these ridiculous champions of different specialized fields competing with each other. I like the fact all the 32 contestants are adequately introduced, has a mini backstory as introduction and has their own 'infamous' and slightly exaggerating nicknames. It makes you interested in side characters battles.

The next chapter will open with "SEVERAL YEARS LATER" as a title card and will show Touta, clearly beaten-up after a big fight, but still good-natured, who will say: "well, that whole adventure sure was crazy! I can't believe we beat the final boss and I got all those power-ups!" Kuromaru, dressed in a gender-ambiguous fashion, blushes, as does Kirie and a mysterious girl who looks like Evangeline but possibly isn't her.

The end.

Incoming UQ Holder sequel in 2016.

Not funny dudes(ettes) :mad:

Boku No Hero Academia

What a disappointment of a fight.

Comic Studio 1

TMXziG6.png
Yasunaga-san knows what's up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chitoge by Soul Eater's author

I'm guessing he was trying to make an image to describe every single Nisekoi plot. I finished it for him:

3UoI3zP.png

This will come in handy for the resolution of the Marika plot any minute now.

Who in the Hell is Josuke Higashikata AKA JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8 JoJolion Chapter 43

Quick thinking there, Josuke.

A new ally? From first looking at the raws I tought she was the SBRverse version of Yukako from Part 4, and she has a Hair related Stand...hm. Gonna stick by that.

BokuHero 43

UGH. FUCK BAKUGOU.

Sekitsui House 1

8796832bzsic.jpg

Zany comedy series about a trio of eccentric peddlers who reportedly sell anything, and their unwitting clientele. Came for the stellar character design, stayed for the humour and unnecessary surgery. One of my favourite introductory chapters I've read for a while, even with the lacking punchline.

rrc1594

Boku no Hero Academia 43

The fight was very quick, but we half to realize this tournament arc was always around the character development of the Heroes. It wasn't about seeing who was the strongest or anything like that. IMO this arc has done a great job of it.

Izuku, Katsuki,Ochako, and Tenya all had great character development during this Arc.

Now I'm really looking forward on how they handle death in this manga . With Tenya's brother I think that's the first major death in the series. His death is really important, because it shows How stronger Stain is. Turbo Hero was a well known Hero, and it look like Stain beat him easily.

Stain's character design is badass. I look forward to this "Hero Killer"

zHSMYWSP7XsRBotwmxh-iQBU2QfNUWhEeVCI4-dT4E60XF6xqqrK4pEsXxe1nm3cuVRb0acKK_QTDlBNy_5zZQ=w426-h320-n

I'm guess that All Might will die by chapter 120. There will be so many times that villains come after him and he survives.

Droplet

Hero Academia 43

Wait, it's "U.A." not "Yuuei"?

edit:

I just noticed how cool this paneling is. It helps the viewer's eye along with the movement, but it flows very naturally despite curved panels being pretty abnormal.

The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 1

ItWuTc4.jpg

Sweet Jesus is the art phenomenal.😮😮😮

The way it's visually artistic and vibrant just makes it look very stunning. The most amazing part is how the Mangaka is a rookie and for her to create this visually enticing art while using it to elevate the world she created is brilliant. The pacing is slow but that's a very good thing for this series. The fact she builds her world up rather than create a big action piece or rely on something like cheesy romance is commendable. It really helps create a setting that's full of wonder and mystery and helps readers build interest of the world. The character development is subtle which is a very good and I just love how character driven it is. I really hope the author keeps on doing a good job in developing her series because as of right now it's one of my favorite.

Seriously if anyone wants to read something that's really good and worth your time then definitely try The Ancient Magus Bride.

Quasar

In one line: Knights of Sidonia is basically Attack on Titan in Space, but with significantly shittier female characters. I wouldn't recommend it.

Its interesting. I've kind of considered it the AoT I don't loathe with a passion. I'm not really sure why I compare the two. Of course I'm not sure why I dislike AoT so...after all all I've seen is maybe 4 episodes of the anime.

Meanwhilst I've really enjoyed Sidonia, once I got accustomed to the anime style. I meant to start reading the manga during the season break but still have not got around to it. Will have to at some point given I hear they diverge a bit.

IyZX7T2.png

See now he just felt the need to show off just because he's human + shinigami + hollow + quincy.

Well, news flash friend!

Your bearded buddy you've known since nearly the beginning isn't actually your sword spirit form.

It's your quincy powers.

Hope you take that revelation well.

kasane

New ballroom e youkoso chapter

God is real

I dont want to read it

Whaterver read it

ballroom e youkoso

Fuck all of you except the mc. Pieces of shit who only torments the mc :<

Shengar

The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 1

The way it's visually artistic and vibrant just makes it look very stunning. The most amazing part is how the Mangaka is a rookie and for her to create this visually enticing art while using it to elevate the world she created is brilliant. The pacing is slow but that's a very good thing for this series. The fact she builds her world up rather than create a big action piece or rely on something like cheesy romance is commendable. It really helps create a setting that's full of wonder and mystery and helps readers build interest of the world. The character development is subtle which is a very good and I just love how character driven it is. I really hope the author keeps on doing a good job in developing her series because as of right now it's one of my favorite.

Seriously if anyone wants to read something that's really good and worth your time then definitely try The Ancient Magus Bride.

Ancient Magus's Bride should be an example on how to handle nonhuman-to-human relationship themes in serious way. It's unfortunate that many manga of the same type were comedy in nature. Well being fun doesn't mean it have to be comedy you know?

Lain

Dream Fossil
Xuwb.jpg

Received it today. I think already posted my impression about this when I bought the Italian edition, but Satoshi Kon is so good that it deserves to be talked about twice, especially now that Vertical has released the English language edition.

Dream Fossil is good. The stories in it have a wide range. From the sad and a bit disconnected kind like Carve, which opens the book, to the more comedic ones like Summer of Anxiety or Beyond the Sun (which has one damn awesome ending) to the otherworldly ones like Guests.
The art might feel a bit dated here and there, but it's very detailed and expressive, with a lot of charm.

Dream Fossil is a book that deserves to be bought and read. This book is just that good and Vertical did a nice job with the edition.

Ancient Magus's Bride should be an example on how to handle nonhuman-to-human relationship themes in serious way. It's unfortunate that many manga of the same type were comedy in nature. Well being fun doesn't mean it have to be comedy you know?

Just really love how it subtlely develops the relationship between Ellias and Chise without it being forced unlike many other serious these days.

But yeah too bad the nonhuman to human relationship series are mostly comedy.

In other Saki news, a spoiler page from the next Shinohayu chapter is out.
Wakanna is kind of a jerk and throws a mahjong tile at a girl who's late to the match. Shino, who will be facing her soon in this match, grabs the tile out of the air before it hits. And remember, in the last chapter htere was a page where Wakanna said "I've already forgotten your names" as she walked away from the table after winning a match. So yeah, she's got issues...

Saki 143

Finally starting the captains match. Hopefully this one is more hype then the last captains match.
Nelly's sort of been hyped ever since her outline appeared way back in the series when some of the 'monsters of the national tournament' were hinted at, so I hope that win or lose she lives up to the hype. And of course I hope for big things from Saki too! It'll be another battle between the need to win and her instinctive "I must go +/-0" playstyle, I think. She'll need to do well for them to m ake the finals, though. I mean, I'm sure they WILL, but it'll be interesting to see how it happens, and who the other team moving on will be!

Saki 136-143

Boooooring. I expected more from Nodoka and the start for Saki is pretty underwhelming. Actually, this whole match has been underwhelming. It's one thing to make things exciting by propping up the opponents, but Kiyosumi as a whole has shown some disappointing playing, getting schooled left and right.
Yeah, for someone who was supposed to be really good, Nodoka hasn't been impressive at all recently, that's for sure! I know her "it's not scientific" unwillingness to admit that superpowers exist hurts her during matches, but still, I'd expect better things than we've seen from her in her last two matches. I hope things will change in the finals, but for storyline reasons maybe it won't -- I mean, Saki plays right after her, after all. But who knows how the finals will go, so maybe Nodoka will finally have a good game, after not doing much special for several games. ... Of course, rounds 4 and 5 of the finals are probably more than a year away (and that's being overly generous), so we'll have a while to think about it. :p

But yeah, I would agree that Kiyosumi hasn't played great in this game, I just expect that it's all a setup for Saki's match now.

The unfinished drawings here and there are another disappointment but heh.
Hey, Ritz published, like, five or six chapters in a row! And all full length, too. That kind of output isn't something you often see from Ritz, so it came at a cost of unfinished pages... and maybe also these three missed chapters after that, if one reason for them was to finish up the many unfinished pages from before. Ah well. It was nice to get so many chapters without misses, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom