• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 announced, Summer 2016. PR: 3DS and Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say that Sigma is looking really hot in that artwork. [/shallow] And even though Kinu is still one of my favourite artists ever, the more I look at the promo piece the more I absolutely love it. The style looks strangely familiar too... Who is it Aksys?

And is Kinu still involved in any way??

Day 1. I hope they design the game like VLR where you can see the "tree" and select whichever branch you want to go to instead of having to replay the entire game again.

That artwork, WOW.
If that's not promising, then I don't know what it.
Amazing.

Hopefully no VLR gore censor this time. That game had to be toned down in terms of bloodiness compared to 999, right? Plz let them go all out, heh.

It did not. And VLR selling even less was the direct result of that market just not being particularly interested in the franchise, even with the changes made to pander to them.
I am baffled though as to why ZE isn't that popular in Japan. It's not like it's totally out of the norm for the market.

There's lot of horror/suspense VNs there, and this one is certainly much higher quality than a lot of others.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just want to say that Sigma is looking really hot in that artwork. [/shallow] And even though Kinu is still one of my favourite artists ever, the more I look at the promo piece the more I absolutely love it. The style looks strangely familiar too... Who is it Aksys?

I could be way off, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the art was Jake Hunter

I am baffled though as to why ZE isn't that popular in Japan. It's not like it's totally out of the norm for the market.

There's lot of horror/suspense VNs there, and this one is certainly much higher quality than a lot of others.

Maybe because the characters aren't high school age? (Whereas Danganronpa...)

Uchikoshi confirmed this will have a 999 vibe to it instead of VLR

EWmof.gif
Yes God yes. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

4Tran

It's a non-otaku game in a genre dominated by otaku fans, but it's also not mainstream enough to have broader appeal. You can compare and contrast with the Danganronpa games; the Zero Escape series is arguably even better, but it's less successful because it has a much harder time finding its ideal niche.

Remember11 didn't take me all that long, 30 something hours max. Not to mention it is probably one of my favorite VNs. It doesn't have an "answer sheet" route but answers are given to you implicitly. Nowhere as gargantuan and convoluted as Umineko, IMHO. There are a multitude of banal (but necessary due to the plot) endings (33 endings 20 of which are mediocre at best) and quite a few choices. I recommend getting all bad ends you can before getting the good end of a route (there are only two routes in Remember11, and both are amazing). explainremember11.wordpress.com is a concise website that CONTAINS HUGE REMEMBER11 SPOILERS but appears to be a concise resource if you don't want to analyze it yourself. The character cast does not have a single character who isn't multifaceted and important to the story in some way, and the Uchikoshi shows.

My favorite VN after 999 and VLR. Highly recommended, also has a pretty damned good soundtrack to boot.

Well, Remember11 won't be a secondo Umineko. Umineko's answers are completely hidden and up to the player to piece together, while if you pay attention during Remember11, you should be able to piece everything up easily. This has been said many times, but what threw off people in the first place were some twists that happen right at the end of the game. If you paid attention and understood the dynamics of the plot, those twist will not be a surprise. Even so, the game ends on those twists and doesn't offer closure.
So, Remember11 lacks closure, not answers...

I may give it a shot then.

Eblo

Many government organizations have dismissed our urgent warnings regarding the upcoming game event called Zero Time Dilemma.

So is that ZE3's official title, or does this refer to some other "event?"

Makonero

I have played through both 999 and VLR before but I decided to buy 999 on iOS to celebrate this! It is definitely lacking compared to the DS game. I miss the silly frustrating puzzles. :( but super excited for the next one!

The Infinity series never did well either, and that was imo, a lot more approachable than Zero Escape.

It's Uchikoshi's curse.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

That's just a sample of the new art style and artist of Zero Escape 3 :)

I can't say who it is yet but we'll be revealing that and more throughout the year~

And unfortunately Kinu Nishimura (who I also love) isn't involved with the project, but the new artist is just as amazing in their own right :D

bonercop

It's hard to judge based on just that image of course, but I would definitely prefer a more stylized artstyle for the in-game stuff at least.the way

The weird matte-looking coloring reminds me of Danganronpa

You think so? So far I only played Ever 17 and like an hour of Never7, but I'd consider Zero Escape far more accessible than either of those.

It's my own opinion, but my judgement of the accessibility refers to my first hour with said games. (Ever17, Never7, Remember11,999, VLR).

The ZE games start off with a stronger "hook", due to the nature of the story, but it's also more harrowing, imo. The other Infinity games, while they can go off the deep end pretty quickly, generally takes its time to ramp up.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

I can't say who it is yet but we'll be revealing that and more throughout the year~

And unfortunately Kinu Nishimura (who I also love) isn't involved with the project, but the new artist is just as amazing in their own right :D

I think it is a change for the best. I hope it becomes an even bigger success than previous Zero Escape titles in the West.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the update.

I am sad Kinu isn't involved (I hope it's just due to scheduling conflicts and not something else), but if this is an example of the next artstyle for the series, then I am really excited, because that promo piece is owning my life right now.

Is it possible to get a direct upload of the piece sometime soon? It's not a secret anymore. ;)

D-Man

It's a shame that Kinu won't return but I really did like the piece we saw today! Can't wait to see what else is in store.

Mistle

Really hope that the artwork is suggesting the game is moving on from all the fan service and questionable character designs. It looks great!

I love Kinu to death so it saddens me. However, I did like the snippet of concept art and hearing the game will come back to the tones of 999, I'm looking forward to hear who the new artist is.

From the new art he really reminds me of Chris from Resident Evil 5.

What the hell was going on in that facility that even required traps? If VLR said why, I can't recall.

It's probably all apart of Zero's new 'game' for the characters.
HYPE!

Man, I cannot wait. A game with the tone & intensity of 999, with the advancements in gameplay made in VLR, wrapping up the most fantastically bonkers game series I've played in years.

I like models too, easier for them to be more animated.
Not that the VLR models were bad, because they weren't, but if we can get to the same quality as the models in AA5, that would be incredible.

Of course, I'm totally for 2D sprites in this style too. I'm so curious to see the game!

Not that the VLR models were bad, because they weren't, but if we can get to the same quality as the models in AA5, that would be incredible.

Of course, I'm totally for 2D sprites in this style too. I'm so curious to see the game!

I don't think Spike Chunsoft and Aksys combined have the manpower and/or financial capabilities to do that and make it work too.

If they think 2D is fine, then I'm fine too.
I wouldn't mind VLR-ish 3D models at all, either. I actually liked the models in VLR. They were as expressive as possible and didn't look goofy or anything. Except when that weird glitch happened where people talked with their mouth wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom