• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

Rest in Peace. Gaming will never be the same. I will never be the same. I will never forget you. That hole will be very hard to fill. May your legacy leaves on forever. Thank you for everything <3

BD1

Banned
I've often daydreamed about Iwata debuting the NX to all of us next year with his trademark charm. So surreal and sad that we'll never experience that again.

Pandy

I can't believe it was a pun all this time...

I think if nothing else good comes from this, I'm actually going to get on and learn Japanese.

I'm off to sleep now, for the first time since I heard the terrible news.
Thanks for sharing, everyone.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Iwata was partial to alcohol, but I'm Scottish, so I've just toasted him with a strong drink while watching the E3 Digital Event, then read over my summary of the English translation of the shareholder briefing less than 2 weeks ago. Where I'd spent an hour or so going through his words and distilling his responses down to a sentence or two.

I feel that prior to his passing, Iwata has given Nintendo a clear direction of travel for the future.
It is left for those he leaves behind to see where it takes them.

MajorMane

I appreciate this video because it has the part where he explains the Japanese characters meaning, "Creating something unique." Iwata surely lived by this the entire time he was at Nintendo. And damned if every time one of these tribute videos show him saying, "Thanks for you watching and see you next time," I don't tear up since there won't be a next time.

Brofield

Got home from work and I'm starting up a new Earthbound save file.

I have Ness as Iwata, Jeff as Mmoto, Poo as Sakri, and the dog as Reggie. Fave food is banana and coolest thing is Games.

But what could I rename Paula? Any advice?

every 30 minutes to an hour it hits me again, that the guy in all these videos and gifs and in all those Nintendo Directs and E3s is gone. He was alive just a while ago. He was a puppet at E3. And now, he's gone.

How, he was so young. There was even a joke about him sharing some of Sakurai's potion of youth and immortality, because he was in his 50 and had black hair. And yet he's dead

I had a lot on my mind yesterday with finding out a friend's husband passed away unexpectedly and then this. I only slept 2 hours last night and worked a 10 hour shift today. Been thinking about Iwata and in general what a person will no longer do once they breathe their last breath.

He was like the Mr. Rogers of the video games industry. A guy that I could see asking in a Nintendo Direct... "Would you be my neighbor?".

Its amazing. I haven't bought a Nintendo game in years and I am a violently biased PS fanboy but..whenever I saw or heard Iwata, I stopped. I would listen to what he had to say and what he had to say was generally always so, engrossing.

I don't think I'll miss his impact on gaming or Nintendo or any of that all that much, what I'll miss is his voice, his mindset. Truly one of a kind.

I don't think this has been shared yet, but it's a nice story from Geoff Keighly.

I am beyond heartbroken to hear about the passing of my friend Satoru Iwata. He was a gamer, a developer and a champion for our medium. RIP. I first met Satoru Iwata at TGS in 2005 when I interviewed him for G4. He spoke in Japanese and showed off the Nintendo Wii controller. So at the end of the interview, after the cameras were off, he turned to me and started speaking in English."Geoff, I really liked our interview. I can tell you are a gamer so I wanted to show you something." He turned the controller sideways. He held it like an NES controller with D-pad and the A B buttons. He smiled, I think to hint at Virtual Console. I'll always remember that. I felt a great connection with him then, he wanted gamers to know that Nintendo would always think of us. He was such an honorable man. His smile said so much. He was and is one of us. He loved game, and wanted to make the world a better place with them. And he did.

I think this is the most devastating loss of a celebrity or public figure I've ever experienced, and a lot of that is due to the universal display of love and appreciation that's been happening since news broke.

Let's hope that everyone takes the message of Mr. Iwata's life to heart.

Umibozu

Just finished watching iwata on game center cx. The ending where after arino shook hands with iwata, when arino says iwata had soft hands put a smile on my face

B4s5C

Damn, he looked horrible... Poor guy. One of my friends replied to a post I made on FB about his passing and said that bile duct growths are very treatable. If that's the case, I wonder why he/they didn't do more as far as treatment goes.

Such a great man, gone way too soon. :(

Unfortunately he most likely had more than a simple bile duct growth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholangiocarcinoma

That form of cancer in untreatable in most cases as well as very rare.

Peltz

Its amazing. I haven't bought a Nintendo game in years and I am a violently biased PS fanboy but..whenever I saw or heard Iwata, I stopped. I would listen to what he had to say and what he had to say was generally always so, engrossing.

I don't think I'll miss his impact on gaming or Nintendo or any of that all that much, what I'll miss is his voice, his mindset. Truly one of a kind.

That's true. He certainly was charismatic. He didn't just engage in PR speak.

LoveCake

The words, Icon & Legend are banded about far too often.

There will never be another Satoru Iwata, he was one of a kind, he broke the mold, truly unique.

His legacy is unbounded, & he will live on in both us gamers & also the characters he helped bring to life.

Say&#333;nara Mr Iwata
jTsoMKp.jpg

I just truly hope you knew the joy you brought into millions of people throughout the years, i really do.

ywqzsj4l.png

May your soul rest in peace.

baphomet

It's amazing how well he kept his composure up until the end. That's why it's so hard for a lot of people. No one knew anything was this bad. Then when you think about why he didn't appear at E3, it makes a lot more sense. He, unfortunately, went downhill very fast it seems. It's heartbreaking knowing that his last Official photo was likely taken because they knew he didn't have much time, and that it would soon be used in his obituary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom