• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, so much for what initially looked like a psychological thriller that played around with generic school club SoL tropes...

I mean, one thing's turning it into a generic SoL that just happens to have zombies shambling around in the background (which was bad enough on its own), but adding fanservice of high school girls that look like grade schoolers (because moe) makes me thing that whoever was in charge of the adaptation had some really bad taste.
Because lolicons sounds more accurate.

Squalor

Yeah, so much for what initially looked like a psychological thriller that played around with generic school club SoL tropes...

I mean, one thing's turning it into a generic SoL that just happens to have zombies shambling around in the background (which was bad enough on its own), but adding fanservice of high school girls that look like grade schoolers (because moe) makes me thing that whoever was in charge of the adaptation had some really bad taste.
Because lolicons sounds more accurate.
c7NJRa2.gif

Hey Corn how's Eureka 7? I've always wanted to check it out, but 50eps is quite a bit to watch... Then there's a sequel with 20 something! The art and posters that I've seen for both look great. I don't always watch mecha shows, but this one seems to also have romance in it

JulianImp

Fan translations only, as far as I'm aware.

Are there any sites that stock digital manga like CR, but for raws?

After episode 3, I really thought this show would surpass the manga in its adaptation. Guess not. The manga has nowhere near as much fanservice, if any.

Very disappointing considering how good the manga got.

EP4 made me uncomfortable with the sudden Miki lingerie scene since I didn't expect it at all, but then I realized where the show was going once the two eps that came right after it both contained flashbacks to that one scene, of all things.

Of course things are probably going to turn dark as hell starting next week, so if I had to recommend this show to anybody I'd probably tell them to watch EP1, then maybe 2, then skip to EP8, and finally to 10-12. EPs 3-7 and 9 had like one or two relevant scenes per episode at best, spaced with copious amounts of generic-as-hell SoL and peppered with fanservice starting with EP4. Seriously, what was the pre-production team even thinking...

jonjonaug

The really annoying part about all of the added fanservice and filler scenes is that it would have been very easy to adapt the first 30 chapters of the manga into an anime. It would have had an amazing stopping point too.

As it stands we're nine episodes in for a twelve episode show, and we've covered 17 chapters. The really odd thing is that they took all of the "slice of life"-ish scenes that were meant to relieve a bit of tension in the later bits and moved them up, so we've seen a bunch of stuff from later on already. I still think they're going to end with the ending of chapter 30 because it's too perfect of a stopping point. So either we're cutting out some of the best scenes in the entire manga, or the last three episodes are going to be hilariously paced.

School Live runs in Manga Time Kirara Forward, which is a print publication. As far as I'm aware there are no digital publications of the manga.

Hey Corn how's Eureka 7? I've always wanted to check it out, but 50eps is quite a bit to watch... Then there's a sequel with 20 something! The art and posters that I've seen for both look great. I don't always watch mecha shows, but this one seems to also have romance in it

As a fan of mecha myself, I strongly urge you to watch Eureka Seven. It's one of the best anime love stories out there, along with being one of the best mechas.

Do not watch the sequel though, as the sequel is horrible.

As a fan of mecha myself, I strongly urge you to watch Eureka Seven. It's one of the best anime love stories out there, along with being one of the best mechas.

Do not watch the sequel though, as the sequel is horrible.
Not watching the sequel would certainly narrow down the amount of episodes that I'd have to watch. I could see 50eps taking me quite a while to get through, specially with school starting next week. But I wouldn't mind having a show to watch long term, hmmm. Who knows, if I really enjoyed it I wouldn't mind giving the sequel a try? I seem to like a lot of shows that people hate around these parts anyway.

jbug617

Banned
Charapedia (10,000 readers in Japan) listed their favorite busty characters. Most of the voters were older males.

Aggregate:
20. High School DxD's Rias Gremory - 140 votes
19. Nisekoi's Seishiro Tsugumi - 144 votes
18. K-on!'s Mio Akiyama - 152 votes
17. To Love-Ru's Lala Satalin Deviluke - 172 votes
16. One Piece's Boa Hancock - 174 votes
15. Saki's Nodoka Haramura - 184 votes
14. Gintama's Tsukuyo - 192 votes
13. Prison School's Meiko Shiraki - 198 votes
12. Umaru-chan's Ebina Nana - 216 votes
11. Durarara!!'s Anri Sonohara - 219 votes
10. Kuroko's Basketball's Satsuki Momoi -253 votes
9. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU's Yui Yuigahama - 260 votes
8. Lupin III's Fujiko Mine - 265 votes
7. Madoka Magica's Mami Tomoe - 268 votes
6. Haruhi's Mikuru Asahina - 283 votes
5. Monogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa - 351 votes
4. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai's Sena Kashiwazaki - 391 votes
3. Sword Art Online's Leafa - 409 votes
2. Love Live's Nozomi Tojo - 420 votes
1. One Piece's Nami - 485 votes

Male:
10. Umaru-chan's Ebina - 172 votes
9. Lupin III's Fujiko - 173 votes
8. Haruhi's Mikuru - 172 votes
7. Madoka's Mami - 212 votes
6. SNAFU's Yui Yuigahama - 242 votes
5. Love Live's Nozomi Tojo -277 votes
4. One Piece's Nami - 287 votes
3. Monogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa - 313 votes
2. SAO's Leafa - 370 votes
1. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai's Sena Kashiwazaki - 381 votes

Female:
10. Prison School's Meiko Shiraki - 96 votes
9. Assassination Classroom's Irina Jelavic - 98 votes
8. One Piece's Boa Hancock - 102 votes
7. Haruhi's Mikuru - 104 votes
6. Gintama's Tsukuyo - 138 votes
5. Love Live!'s Nozomi's 143 votes
4. DRRR!!'s Anri - 177 votes
3. Lupin III's Fujiko - 192 votes
2. One Piece's Nami - 198 votes
1. KuroBas' Satsuki Momoi 239 votes

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/09/03/japanese-fans-name-their-favorite-busty-anime-girls

Cornbread78

It's been pretty good so far (through 6 episodes) with lots of action, but a lot of world building as well. There is a childhood friend there for the first few episodes (obviously deep feelings as well), but then the setting changes, so she is not present. I'm sure she will come back into play later, but looking at future images, I don't see her anywhere. It is a shame they are middle school aged though, but we'll see, the new girls the boy is with, is your classic blond tsundere, and a pick haired manga/anime girl, and a few other characters, but there has been no character developement for them as of yet... We'll see once I dig deeper into it.

https://d.maxfile.ro/ahzkbaejhn.webm

Are you referring to this holy cuteness?

Watched this like 1000 times already. Still great.

Also, anyone know how to view webms on Safari? It ends up just downloading it when I click that link.

EP4 made me uncomfortable with the sudden Miki lingerie scene since I didn't expect it at all, but then I realized where the show was going once the two eps that came right after it both contained flashbacks to that one scene, of all things.

Of course things are probably going to turn dark as hell starting next week, so if I had to recommend this show to anybody I'd probably tell them to watch EP1, then maybe 2, then skip to EP8, and finally to 10-12. EPs 3-7 and 9 had like one or two relevant scenes per episode at best, spaced with copious amounts of generic-as-hell SoL and peppered with fanservice starting with EP4. Seriously, what was the pre-production team even thinking...

There's viz manga but I dont think they upload individual chapters. I got a subscription for Shonen Jump but its a pain in the ass to navigate.

My biggest problem is that the slice of life fanservicy stuff feels so played out. Its like a cheap trick where you get the user comfortable and then you drop this massive serious thing on them right after. This was great for episode 1 but when we're this late into the show, it just becomes tiresome. Doesnt have that effect anymore.

The really annoying part about all of the added fanservice and filler scenes is that it would have been very easy to adapt the first 30 chapters of the manga into an anime. It would have had an amazing stopping point too.

As it stands we're nine episodes in for a twelve episode show, and we've covered 17 chapters. The really odd thing is that they took all of the "slice of life"-ish scenes that were meant to relieve a bit of tension in the later bits and moved them up, so we've seen a bunch of stuff from later on already. I still think they're going to end with the ending of chapter 30 because it's too perfect of a stopping point. So either we're cutting out some of the best scenes in the entire manga, or the last three episodes are going to be hilariously paced.

I think they're gonna end it on 21 and the final episode will be filler. 30 would have been perfect but they really fucked up the pacing. I will be really upset if they tried to cram and rushed through everything for the next 3 episodes.

Still frustrating since like you said, they could have really fit 30 in this season easily. It would have been so good.

AO is fine.

OBJECTION!!

Not watching the sequel would certainly narrow down the amount of episodes that I'd have to watch. I could see 50eps taking me quite a while to get through, specially with school starting next week. But I wouldn't mind having a show to watch long term, hmmm. Who knows, if I really enjoyed it I wouldn't mind giving the sequel a try? I seem to like a lot of shows that people hate around these parts anyway.

No see, if you really enjoy it, you should avoid the sequel.

The sequel is horrible because it basically tramples and spits on what makes the original great. I didn't watch it myself, but I read what down in it and none of it was in any way appealing. I don't hate a lot of shows but from what I hear that hate for that one is justified.

Back in 2013 former AnimeGAF regular CorvoSol didn't heed our warnings about the Eureka Seven sequel and he watched all of it for himself. It wasn't pretty.

Sölf;177471890 said:
That good?

Pretty damn good. Some in GAF aren't crazy about the documentary style narration and rare cut to actual footage/pictures. But I loved those aspects. As to the show itself it's a damn good drama that perfectly encapsulates just how much of a rotten bastard piece of shit Pablo Escobar was.

If I had one glaring issue is that the lead guy's accent is awkward at one points, but everything else was done to the tee. They even filmed in Colombia.

phaze

OBJECTION!!

The sequel is horrible because it basically tramples and spits on what makes the original great. I didn't watch it myself, but I read what down in it and none of it was in any way appealing.

Back in 2013 former AnimeGAF regular CorvoSol didn't heed our warnings about the Eureka Seven sequel and he watched all of it for himself. It wasn't pretty.

How can you know if something is truly awful if you didn't watch it all for yourself ? Disgusting.

How can you know if something is truly awful if you didn't watch it all for yourself ? Disgusting.

Look, I enjoyed Eureka Seven. I really did.

Eureka Seven AO is a sequel. A sequel that people didn't like and said it ruins the original. I don't want to see the original ruined. I really liked the original!

And this isn't like KEY stuff where some people like it some people don't.

I've heard nobody, absolutely nobody say anything legitimately good about Eureka Seven AO.

So I'm inclined to avoid it and keep my memories of the original intact.

UberTag

I would just recommend the manga. School Live! the anime has turned into hot garbage and even if it attempts to salvage things by incorporating more manga elements (namely Chapters 17-20) next week it's probably too little too late.

Instead of a faithful adaptation of Chapters 1-30 (which is what the manga deserved), I'm expecting one of two outcomes. They'll softball everything and the series will amount to one big tease of people familiar with the source material... or they'll go the opposite extreme and have the anime go completely off the rails into an unexpected bad end direction and justify it by saying "look at how much happy, fun slice-of-life and pointless fan service nonsense we gave you beforehand".

It's a real disappointment... this week's pandering episode especially.

My prediction, incidentally, is ... manga spoilers ho...
Outcome A... next week Taromaru will vanish and everyone will be all sad and depressed. He won't become a zombie dog, however. We'll have an encounter between Kurumi and Zombie Megu-nee and they'll tease her getting bit and infected... but she won't. Chapters 26-30 more or less play out as they did in the manga with Chopper Guy arriving having found the SOS letters and crashing into the school parking lot. Yuki saves the day by blasting her fire drill message over the school PA. The crew agrees to pack up and leave the school in the finale but... eureka... Taromaru shows up and there's a happy reunion. Perhaps the anime will really lay on the bullshit and have Kei show up for no damn reason and reunite with Miki. At which point the whole gang heads off into the sunset and lives happily ever after. Perhaps they'll visit the ocean and we'll get more fan service. The end.

I think they're gonna end it on 21 and the final episode will be filler. 30 would have been perfect but they really fucked up the pacing. I will be really upset if they tried to cram and rushed through everything for the next 3 episodes.

Still frustrating since like you said, they could have really fit 30 in this season easily. It would have been so good.
This is really the only outcome that could semi-salvage things at this point. And this would be entirely dependent on a series renewal... which, at least if they had of wrapped things up at a natural break like Chapter 30... wouldn't have been immediately necessary.

tumblr_nu2fbdzbVO1syeyvqo1_500.gif

Anyone notice her design is a little different in this shot? She almost looks like an actualy HS student now and not a child.

Still looking for something cuter this season.

tumblr_npu4hetoZL1qa94xto1_500.gif

Maybe Ren-chon.

Her face is more angular and her eyes are giant blobs so she looks older. Plus her hair and outfit are more mature too.

It's been pretty good so far (through 6 episodes) with lots of action, but a lot of world building as well. There is a childhood friend there for the first few episodes (obviously deep feelings as well), but then the setting changes, so she is not present. I'm sure she will come back into play later, but looking at future images, I don't see her anywhere. It is a shame they are middle school aged though, but we'll see, the new girls the boy is with, is your classic blond tsundere, and a pick haired manga/anime girl, and a few other characters, but there has been no character developement for them as of yet... We'll see once I dig deeper into it.

The characters did look a bit younger, so I guess they are what 13-14 years old?

[
No see, if you really enjoy it, you should avoid the sequel.

The sequel is horrible because it basically tramples and spits on what makes the original great. I didn't watch it myself, but I read what down in it and none of it was in any way appealing. I don't hate a lot of shows but from what I hear that hate for that one is justified.

Gotcha ahaha. Jotting this on my list then. So far I have Planetes and Eureka Seven on it. Next season seems to have less stuff for me to watch so I'm planning on watching these two along with whatever is on each week.

javac

I'm 44 episodes through City Hunter 2 now, man the show is getting so damn good. The second OP is amazing, which to be expected I guess because it's fucking City Hunter!

Cornbread78

Look, I enjoyed Eureka Seven. I really did.

Eureka Seven AO is a sequel. A sequel that people didn't like and said it ruins the original. I don't want to see the original ruined. I really liked the original!

And this isn't like KEY stuff where some people like it some people don't.

I've heard nobody, absolutely nobody say anything legitimately good about Eureka Seven AO.

So I'm inclined to avoid it and keep my memories of the original intact.

Wait, Hold the phone... AO is the sequel? Have I been watching the wrong one?

@$%@#%#$^# #% #^#%^ #$^&$&$^&$ &$
$%#%^#%

Welp, there goes watching this at all, since there have been a ton of flashback and now everythign is spoiled. Fu(k my life....

Death Note EPisode 9
COANr8oWgAAs8bh.png

Near as Mello is still so weird and difficult to accept. I guess we'll just go with it.

L speaking through the video to Matsuda was hilarious, he really studied Matsuda or grew along with him to know his mannerisms. It was so good. Then Light still being tormented by L, lol.

Team Mikami, Light, Misa needs a lot of episodes.

Wait, Hold the phone... AO is the sequel? Have I been watching the wrong one?

@$%@#%#$^# #% #^#%^ #$^&$&$^&$ &$
$%#%^#%

Welp, there goes watching this at all, since there have been a ton of flashback and now everythign is spoiled. Fu(k my life....

It's okay, you can still watch the original.

You haven't been spoiled on everything 6 episodes into AO. I think Just stop watching AO and watch the original. Please.

Russ T

Banned
tumblr_nu2fbdzbVO1syeyvqo1_500.gif

Anyone notice her design is a little different in this shot? She almost looks like an actual HS student now and not a child.

I did notice that, yeah, and I like it. Wish she had always looked like that. Wish she would look like that moving forward. X:

Sterok

School-Live 9

How did they manage to turn a zombie apocalypse with an interesting and intriguing premise into bog standard SOL schlock? This is not the series where fanservice is appropriate, and it feels like they're wasting time for no reason, then adding an obligatory creepy scene or two each episode. Thankfully it seems things will happen next episode, but there's been a lot of wasted time the last few episodes. Maybe I should try reading the manga again. I liked it when I first read it years ago, but I never got past the first few chapters for some reason. I'll probably do that when the anime finishes.

Cornbread78

It's okay, you can still watch the original.

You haven't been spoiled on everything 6 episodes into AO. I think Just stop watching AO and watch the original. Please.

Dammit, now I have to figure out how to find the originals and erase my mind... dammit, dammit, dammit... I did the same thing with SAO, but I had NO idea what I was doing then, but now, I should have checked MAL...

Dammit, now I have to figure out how to find the originals and erase my mind... dammit, dammit, dammit... I did the same thing with SAO, but I had NO idea what I was doing then, but now, I should have checked MAL...

I haven't started yet, but I guess your comments earlier of seeing stuff that made no sense in the story's context are explained lol. But think positively. You were apparently watching the shitty one and enjoyed it. So the one that people like can only be better right?

Russ T

Banned
AO is dumb and doesn't spoil anything huge about the original, at least not until later on, and even then it's not huge, and also it's dumb.

So just watch the original, knowing that you've been saved.

Cornbread78

I haven't started yet, but I guess your comments earlier of seeing stuff that made no sense in the story's context are explained lol. But think positively. You were apparently watching the shitty one and enjoyed it. So the one that people like can only be better right?

Yup, that would probably be why... Same with all the flashbacks the MC was seeing... Well, tomorrow is another day, I guess I'll hit the rest button, and start over again...

AO is dumb and doesn't spoil anything huge about the original, at least not until later on, and even then it's not huge, and also it's dumb.

So just watch the original, knowing that you've been saved.

LOL, I've been saved, praise!

It's funny how the Gakkou Garashi anime is catching so much flak for its rewriting screwing up the manga story, when the head writer of the anime is the original manga author.

I think the hypetrain was slowing down already somewhere around episode 4, it just sorta crashed and burned after this episode.

I don't think the general interest lasted beyond the 2nd episode.

It's funny how the Gakkou Garashi anime is catching so much flak for its rewriting screwing up the manga story, when the head writer of the anime is the original manga author.
Writers can adapt their own works poorly.

Squalor

Maybe it's not supposed to be an "adaptation," but a reimagining.

I love when manga readers cry about dissimilarities between manga and anime. It's always worth a sensible chuckle.

Ninja Slayer 21

Wow, it's like Skeletor and a shitty Metal Gear had a baby.

"Domo Darkninja-San, at last, we meet again."

...Didn't you see him last episode?

Okay, that ending was pretty hype. It's actually a shame people dropped this I think. I'm legit having fun with this show.

JulianImp

All this makes me thing that the Gakkou Gurashi meeting went as well as that one in OreImo, with the publishers suggesting more moe, more SoL and less drama. I don't hate it when adaptations change stuff from their source material as long as it's done well, but Gakkou is just skipping on the things I wanted to see from it and giving me something I never asked for. Might try to give the manga a read later, but maybe I'll wait until anime's over to pass my final judgement on it.

Also, publishers need to rake in dem dakimakura licensing fees. I mean, there're Non Non Biyori ones out there, ffs...

Which also reminds me that I almost wanted to get a Non Non JP3DS theme, but then I read that none of them actually came with music... For shame.

School-live 9
Aside from the silly water gun showdown, it's become boring even for a slice of life. And too focused on sexualizing the characters. The show is kind of missing what made it enjoyable. The characters are pretty boring in a normal setting but with the tension of the apocalypse exposing their flaws, they become more interesting and relatable. Minimizing the zombie threat makes the show barebones.
The final scene makes it seem they are finally returning to the tension

UberTag

Maybe it's not supposed to be an "adaptation," but a reimagining.

I love when manga readers cry about dissimilarities between manga and anime. It's always worth a sensible chuckle.
I'm all for re-imaginings if what you're giving me as an alternative is an improvement.
There are plenty of ways to improve upon the Gakkou Gurashi! manga. It is by no means above reproach.
However, nobody with any sense said that what that material needed was more slice-of-life, more fan service, less tension, atrocious pacing and more antics with the dog.

There was a full 12 second scene of the girls walking up to the roof to clean the pool where the camera simply shifted between different shots of their boobs while they were conversing. This wasn't even subtle. There is no defense for this garbage. Otaku pandering has destroyed another anime adaptation.

Squalor

I'm all for re-imaginings if what you're giving me as an alternative is an improvement.
There are plenty of ways to improve upon the Gakkou Gurashi! manga. It is by no means above reproach.
However, nobody with any sense said that what that material needed was more slice-of-life, more fan service, less tension, atrocious pacing and more antics with the dog.

There was a full 12 second scene of the girls walking up to the roof to clean the pool where the camera simply shifted between different shots of their boobs while they were conversing. This wasn't even subtle. There is no defense for this garbage. Otaku pandering has destroyed another anime adaptation.
Hahahaha. That sounds awful.

You're certainly right that that isn't the proper way to do a reimagining.

But I definitely find it funny when I see people complain that "Y" anime wasn't exactly like "X" manga, so it's bad by default.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There is no sequel to Eureka 7. Please do not mention this again.

ibyea

Banned
After getting flashbacks to Miki in her lingerie for episodes five and six, the show has finally decided to give some love to the rest of the cast, having a Miki shower scene, then Yuki and Kurumi in her underwear as they washed Taroumaru, more Miki wearing a shirt but no pants (= panty shots) during EP8, and EP9 has been nothing but a pool episode, complete with swimsuits, Mii-kun feeling envy towards Rii's assets, and finally a shower scene with everybody in it for good measure.

Oh, and then there're zombies in the show. Sometimes. While the characters do some random fun activity and the camera cuts to the school's race track.

Yeah I dropped the show after ep 6. I got a bad feeling about it.

Otaku pandering has destroyed another anime adaptation.
It's showing up more and more in anime, it's sad. To have to resort to that instead of having good writing, interesting pieces and characters is pretty cheap and lazy. The problem is that it seemingly works. I wonder when/if Otakus will get tired of seeing the same pandering in these shows.

There is no sequel to Eureka 7. Please do not mention this again.
Just like Psycho-Pass uh. Gotcha!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There is no defense for this garbage. Otaku pandering has destroyed another anime adaptation.
oh no. how will the world ever know the true potential of high school girls vs. a zombie apocalypse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom