• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

MouldyK

I did at 1st. My 1st bunch of level attempts were trying to be overly complex or creative and nothing felt like it was working well.

What I then started doing was making levels with 1 simple idea at it's core, and then I tried to expand upon that to see what I could create. I'd have other small things like enemies or short platforming sections to change the pace a little, but otherwise that 1 mechanic was the only thing that mattered.

After changing up how I thought of making levels, they started getting much better with each one. I also found it easier to come up with different ideas.

Your advice helped me and spurred me to uploading the first of maybe many courses: "Springfest".

It's quite easy, so whatever haha.

Course ID: 9ACE-000-0032-1696

I hope one of you guys looks at it and tells me it's good, even if unoriginal in every way.

11791981_10203935710827286_4074024954917423308_o.jpg

HoJu

third level. eh, it's okay

an unlikely alliance:
40cd-0000-0031-e9f3

it was fun! some neat ideas, like the jumping on the large dry bones to go down. never seen that before. it got a bit too busy at the end though. also levels with thwomps are always fun.

But in Mario maker, if i play a level, I have no sense of use and accomplishment to collect coins, since it doesn't matter that much. One way to do that, would be that when you end a level, the games give you a score based on how many coins you collect, how many times it took you (the lesser the better), etc.
In 100 Mario mode, coins still count towards 1 Up collecting so it's still helpful to provide some to aid towards players' long term adventures.

Kebiinu

Banned
Don't think anyone caught my post a few pages back! So I'm updating it for the new page.

I have a fairly good eye for detail; combining crafty obstacles, and unique level layouts to impress and entertain the player!

With that being said, here are two stages I created, after a shit ton of tweaking and editing...

The first one: "What Goes Up...!"
Code: 777C-0000-002E-4B15

High altitudes and clever Koopas block your progress here! You're playing in a canyon, so watch out for drops!

The second one: "Trial Caverns"
Code: 273C-0000-002F-B77A

Treacherous obstacles and perilous terrain decide your fate in this cavern of danger. Make sure to equip that fire flower before you progress further along the pipe walkways!

Let me know what you think!

RyType

Perhaps I'm making my levels a bit too hard... I seem to get low completion rates. Here's my third level:

Dynamite Dash:
2C11-0000-0032-2058

Time to check out some levels in the thread

Oidisco

Your advice helped me and spurred me to uploading the first of maybe many courses: "Springfest".

It's quite easy, so whatever haha.

Course ID: 9ACE-000-0032-1696

I hope one of you guys looks at it and tells me it's good, even if unoriginal in every way.

Yea dude I'll try it out in a little while, just gotta do a few things 1st.

Also funnily enough, the 1st level I uploaded used Springs too!

BashNasty

I played the second one. Really well designed but maybe a little too easy. I'd say take out the star at the end and maybe change the fire flower for a mushroom. Those 2 power ups make the hammer brother kinda pointless.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the level is probably a bit on the easy side, I'm gonna look into making an updated, harder version.

Check out my latest creation:

not2bad

7E40-0000-0031-A6AA

My first attempt at a fairly challenging level which I think also feels fair.

I really enjoyed this level. Tough, but not so tough it wasn't fun. There were a lot of great parts where it was easy to just bounce across the level on the enemies heads, which is one of the great joys of Mario. The only thing I didn't like were the fire thrusters right at the end. They came out of nowhere my first time through the stage and made the death feel a bit cheap. Overall though, great work, I threw a star your way!

Hasney

Re put up the Mario World level Castle or Airship now I have coins. It's hard, but as a warning, castle path is easier :)

2DDE-0000-0032-2AA4

nynt9

Just played this one. Really liked it. That part with the single platforms that drop after a while is intense. Great work. First time playing with the Mega Man sprite so that was awesome as well. Really fun, moderate and fair difficulty level.

Thanks! I tried to replicate the layout of the original level as much as possible!

B_Bech

Okay guys I made three new stages that I'm SUPER proud of! Gettin' the hang of this stage making thing. I really want you guys to try them and maybe hand me a few stars if you enjoy them. I focused on making them fun this time around... like really focused on it. I know it sounds obvious, but the other stages I made focused on being cool/challenging. As always, I'll play and star all of your guys levels if you drop me a PM with the code. I'll even comment and give feedback!

WVW69iYkS2osYyw3rS

Pacman Fever

(8038-0000-0030-897D)

This is a minigame so don't think you can beat it the way you could a traditional Mario level. This is an homage to the father of gaming as we know it. Here's looking at you, Puckman.

WVW69iYjPr0drhwGaX

Yoshi's Rad Racing Coaster

(EAEC-0000-002F-DCD5)

Alright now this one can be a bit tough, but it's not at all unfair. Yoshi's built a twin racing coaster in his basement. Think you can ride it all the way to end? Note: try not to be mad at Yoshi as he laughs at you from the safety of his operator's box. How many times have you used him to save yourself?

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

------------------------------

Now, these next two stages I've posted before, but I never explained them the way I did with the new three. I will do just that and hopefully give more people the opportunity to play them.

WVW69iYQdc0NNdSHeE

Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

(721B-0000-0025-1463)

I absolutely love this stage. I wanted to make an autoscrolling level with unique boss encounters peppered in, but I also wanted to make sure the difficulty was just right... as I found the boss fight in my previous stage had caused most players to rage quit. What resulted was Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion. It's a procession of tanks, each harder to beat than the one before it. It's got a good sense of speed, so I used Captain Falcon to convey that... and for the cool factor. The scrolling, the conveyor belts and the sawblade wheels give the illusion of moving vehicles. Kinda neat, huh?

WVW69iYM2cclpuEz05

Assault on Goomba Factory

(CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D)

This level was meant to be a self contained adventure story, told through sound effects. You start out outside of the factory, go inside the machine itself... see its horrors (transforming mushrooms into Goombas)... break the machine and gum up the works... then face off with the factory's malicious mastermind, Bowser, in an epic confrontation. After beating Bowser, you flee the exploding factory... just because I enjoy the cliche. It needs a little fine tuning, but it's still an awesome stage that I hope you see to the end.

So yeah, those are five stages I think you guys will have a ton of fun playing. Like I said before, if you like em' feel free to toss me a star and even follow me. PM me a list of your stages and I will play and star every single one of them.

Thanks for playing. (If you do!)

Quoting this one last time. I really want feedback on my Pac Man level. Has anyone played it that can give me some input? I need to know if it's too hard or too easy. Also, keep PMing me stages. The ones from GAF are brilliant. You guys deserve more credit than these dumb automatic stages that get high praise. God, I love this game but damn if the ranking system doesn't need a retooling.

Just made a few fixes on a level, its supposed to be a more traditional nsmb, you can go fast or take your time, I tuned down the level a bit hope its still a solid level!

8b39 - 0000 - 0031 - EDDF easy medium

image.jpg

Made a new level, try it out and let me know what you think guys! Trying not to rely on gimmicks, just making a genuine Castle level.

Dizzy Castle Battle: BDD8-0000-0032-29B7

Thanks.

Any Pros wanna try my level, it's not insanely hard like some of those YouTube vids you see but it is a little challenging. If you're capable of 100%ing Mario games then you should be fine.

Test Your Skills

(4A2F-0000-0028-842D)
WVW69iYVfmcrl_C-23

Just finished this one. I hate you for putting those springs and fire piranha's plants at the end there. Fun level even if it did make me rage slightly. The only thing I could see as being an issue is during the Bullet Bill to red shell turtle jump. Need to be on the last block to trigger the Bill and some people might not figure that out. That cloud/spike section is a bitch as a big Mario since it's so easy to hit the sides. That's what makes it intense though. Fun wall jumping and a nice work against the Star timer to kill the plants too. Great work.

WVW69iYkwVEBP0mLRu

Made a new one - Danger Coaster!!
DFBB-0000-0030-D457

WVW69iYPVxoY55H-GF

and another - The Haunted Bakery - this seems to be my most "popular" - have got 5 stars from this already!
B855-0000-0024-3CD7

Going to sit down and play through the last few pages of GAF levels now :)

maxcriden

Reposting my level from last night if that's allowed, since I think it's decent albeit not amazing, and didn't get much feedback or many players :)

One more level. I now have sets three and four so things have opened up quite a bit! I don't think this level is terrific, and it has some serious design flaws, but I think it has a charm to it. Hope y'all dig it. Get all 3 1-ups --> mad respect, brah.

WVW69iYSXBQFy-3fHM

Title: help me thru this hopeless haze
Difficulty: Medium (6.5/10)
Tileset: Underwater / NSMBU
Level Code: 9E8E-0000-0026-788D

Thanks for your time!

Hasney

Perhaps I'm making my levels a bit too hard... I seem to get low completion rates. Here's my third level:

Dynamite Dash:
2C11-0000-0032-2058

Time to check out some levels in the thread

So I liked the idea behind this, but there's a few things wrong in the execution that made it slightly less fun than an extreme difficulty level could be:

Really needs some coins! I made the same mistake, it's easy to forget, but especially in an SMB1 underground, it can at least give something else to a level that can be a bland setting

The last platform of the first set of bob-ombs should only be one set. It's good that there's some run off area, but if you go too far to the right, it can set off the next lot and make the level impossible

Similarly, if you jump too high off the last koopa and hit the platform late, the blades can go to the bottom too quick and make it impossible there

After the pipe,that single blade should be on a different pattern to the saw hell coming down at you. Make in panicky, but not impossible if again you went to the right too fast.

Like I said, I enjoyed it as I like a hard level, but those few things could make it click a lot better.

nynt9

Here's a level that isn't really difficult but has many paths to explore, and it's Xenoblade themed. Invasion of the Mechon: 4282-0000-0032-46CF

i4KKsdg.jpg

maxcriden

It would have been nice if you could generate a QR code for your level. More sharing options in general would be nice.

I like this idea a lot, though I'm not convinced it's more or less effort than inputting the code. They may as well patch it in if it's not too difficult to implement, though. We definitely need more search options!

Pacify

My first course after unlocking everything, mostly just having fun with the sound effects.

Social Darwinism: 3B24 - 0000 - 0031 - DF20

Okay guys I made three new stages that I'm SUPER proud of! Gettin' the hang of this stage making thing. I really want you guys to try them and maybe hand me a few stars if you enjoy them. I focused on making them fun this time around... like really focused on it. I know it sounds obvious, but the other stages I made focused on being cool/challenging. As always, I'll play and star all of your guys levels if you drop me a PM with the code. I'll even comment and give feedback!

WVW69iYkS2osYyw3rS

Pacman Fever

(8038-0000-0030-897D)

This is a minigame so don't think you can beat it the way you could a traditional Mario level. This is an homage to the father of gaming as we know it. Here's looking at you, Puckman.

WVW69iYjPr0drhwGaX

Yoshi's Rad Racing Coaster

(EAEC-0000-002F-DCD5)

Alright now this one can be a bit tough, but it's not at all unfair. Yoshi's built a twin racing coaster in his basement. Think you can ride it all the way to end? Note: try not to be mad at Yoshi as he laughs at you from the safety of his operator's box. How many times have you used him to save yourself?

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

------------------------------

Now, these next two stages I've posted before, but I never explained them the way I did with the new three. I will do just that and hopefully give more people the opportunity to play them.

WVW69iYQdc0NNdSHeE

Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

(721B-0000-0025-1463)

I absolutely love this stage. I wanted to make an autoscrolling level with unique boss encounters peppered in, but I also wanted to make sure the difficulty was just right... as I found the boss fight in my previous stage had caused most players to rage quit. What resulted was Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion. It's a procession of tanks, each harder to beat than the one before it. It's got a good sense of speed, so I used Captain Falcon to convey that... and for the cool factor. The scrolling, the conveyor belts and the sawblade wheels give the illusion of moving vehicles. Kinda neat, huh?

WVW69iYM2cclpuEz05

Assault on Goomba Factory

(CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D)

This level was meant to be a self contained adventure story, told through sound effects. You start out outside of the factory, go inside the machine itself... see its horrors (transforming mushrooms into Goombas)... break the machine and gum up the works... then face off with the factory's malicious mastermind, Bowser, in an epic confrontation. After beating Bowser, you flee the exploding factory... just because I enjoy the cliche. It needs a little fine tuning, but it's still an awesome stage that I hope you see to the end.

So yeah, those are five stages I think you guys will have a ton of fun playing. Like I said before, if you like em' feel free to toss me a star and even follow me. PM me a list of your stages and I will play and star every single one of them.

Thanks for playing. (If you do!)

You should be proud. Your stages are amazing. Your art direction and gamedesign are amazing.
Some of your stages are as fun, cute and clever as some Yoshi's Island stages.
The pac man stage is awesome, I'm not a fan of labyrinth level because I don't like feeling lost, but yours is very clear and you can't miss the goal if you have a little pacman knowledge. I also like that I can use my platforming skills.
I find your levels so good that I can't really tell how you could improve them. I really hope you will get more exposure, you deserve to be on the top of the list !

Hasney

You can't tag courses can you? There is a severe lack of levels that could be classed as traditional that I'd love to see rather than some of the "Look at these clever things I did... Wait there's no actual platforming" levels.

This one's gotten a couple of stars, probably because it's so dog simple:

Hidden Treasure

FEAD-0000-0019-EEA4

also,

Mario wants 2 party all the time

2BCD-0000-0032-3BC9

Just made a few fixes on a level, its supposed to be a more traditional nsmb, you can go fast or take your time, I tuned down the level a bit hope its still a solid level!

8b39 - 0000 - 0031 - EDDF easy medium

image.jpg

Just finished your level, took me a few tries! Pretty tricky level but I enjoyed it. Certainly has that "just one more go" factor!

nynt9

Here's a slightly difficult Metroidvania type level I made called spooky spruce mansion - your first goal is to earn mushrooms so that you can go through flowers with the invulnerability frames!

WVW69iYU2nEB1LTi-p

3A74-0000-0028-2148

IceMarker

My hardest level so far, but still very doable.

qQBPHVS.jpg

Flying Wall Jumps
CFBC-0000-0032-597C
OLD LEVEL ID

Bonus points to anyone who can reach the bonus area.

Misuta

Please try out these levels. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Short and easy
7089-0000-0013-C8EC
WVW69iX3cxgBdmYVpc

Nicht runterfallen [Don't fall]
FB5F-0000-0014-42BC
WVW69iX4ads5V3m1Dd

Stachelhölle [Spike hell]
7023-0000-0014-AD9F
WVW69iX5KCoPULm_cR

Achte auf die Münzen [Pay attention to the coins]
7503-0000-001E-7AA3
WVW69iYGbP4vpG4hZI

Flug mit der Clownkutsche [Flight with the Clown Car]
A461-0000-0021-8693
WVW69iYLlRQ2gqlPc9

Don't press any buttons
53BD-0000-002B-8C45
WVW69iYbOYsOSIEvR3

Mario doesn't like samba
0301-0000-002F-8EA9
WVW69iYiyEQdshRESg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I finished it.

Oddly, I think the most trouble I had, aside from just getting used to trampolines was the first fire shooting piranha plant. Making him shoot somewhere safe was much harder when I started thinking about him. It was easy the first few times where I didn't give it any thought.

Second most deaths came at the second piranha plant as that jump is somewhat last minute and you can graze the wall or the plant, either of which is fatal.

I definitely had a moment thinking "why are you asking this of me?!" when I saw the buzzsaws passing each other :D

It was good fun with clear focus on a single concept. I definitely learned a thing or two about making levels by playing it.
You're the only person that did finish it. The level has a ridiculous 0.89% clear rate. Only 7 people played it but even so. Like, I didn't design it to be unbeatable bullshit. I wanted challenging but fair and I feel like I accomplished it. It's kinda disheartening that almost nobody is beating it.

But anyway thanks for the feedback and thanks for beating it!

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't planning on buying this with Destiny, Forza and Fifa so close but one thing led to another and now I'm poor.

jnWake

Random Levels

Levels I made just for fun, mainly when I just got the game.

Use the Shells!:

ID: 551C-0000-0032-58EF.
Difficulty: Normal/Medium.
Use Koopa Shells to advance. It starts super easy and has some trickier parts later but it's easy overall. To reach the top of the flagpole you need to find the secret path.

Climbing Goomba City:

ID: D075-0000-0034-B953.
Difficulty: Hard.
Run through Goomba City while using both Goombas and moving platforms to get to the goal! I'd say it's pretty challenging.

Bullets in Koopatlantis:

ID: 6FB6-0000-003A-ED9A.
Difficulty: Normal.
Explore the hidden city of Koopatlantis while dodging bullets!

Under the Thwomp:

ID: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F.
Thwomps are falling from the sky! Luckily, you can protect yourself staying below moving platforms. Good luck!

Mystery Houses

These are levels based on the Mystery House levels from Super Mario 3D World. In those levels, you had to clear certain number of small challenges in a row under a strict time limit. Usually, a Mystery House is based around one simple idea, making it tougher as the player advances.

Mystery House Bounce:

ID: 15EA-0000-0048-B42C.
Difficulty: Normal.
Quickly clear a set of cannon ball bouncing challenges!

Mystery House Surf:

ID: E3B1-0000-004D-050B.
Quickly clear a set of beetle surfing challenges!

Mystery House Spin Bounce:

ID: 2355-0000-0063-E9D7.
Quickly clear a set of spin bouncing challenges!

Mario's Adventure

Bowser has invaded Mushroom Town! As always, it's up to Mario to save it. Although the adventure starts easy, the difficulty quickly ramps up as Mario attempts to defeat Bowser yet again.

1-1: Rescue Mushroom Town

ID: 1D4B-0000-0053-C672.
Difficulty: Easy/Normal.
Mario's first goal is to get rid of the enemies in Mushroom Town. The city is built on giant mushrooms over the highest mountains of the Mushroom Kingdom so it gives a unique setting for the beggining of an adventure. There are many secrets areas to find!

1-2: Clash on Mushroom Bridge

ID: E3EA-0000-005F-2827.
After saving Mushroom Town, Mario heads to take out the airship led by Commander Hammer Bro. However, taking down an airship may not be the best idea after all...

1-3: Mystery of the Dry Lake

ID: 7961-0000-007A-AA14.
Heading towards Bowser's fortress, Mario's first stop is Mushroom Lake. However, it seems something strange is happening there...

NeonZ

I was pleasantly surprised by how the
Mario Maker
costume has its own item obtained, victory and loss jingles, rather than just reusing the standard ones. I wish they had made the Mystery costumes available for the other themes too, even if there were a very limited selection for the non-SMB1 themes.

On the other hand,
Waluigi
is kind of disappointing, since he got no jingles from the
Mario spin off games, just using the standard SMB ones. Although he does have custom sounds with his voice.

Big Brett

Course: Pride Encumberance
ID: 31E1-0000-0032-647F
Just made a simple normal level. Probably like a 3-1 type difficulty. Find the secrets!

Feedback greatly appreciated ^_^

Assanova

After playing the course world, I think there are too many players making difficult levels. Either the levels are ridiculously short and easy, or they are ridiculously hard. It would be nice to have more levels that balanced the difficulty better.

It would be really nice if Nintendo added a monthly playlist for 100 Mario challenge of their favorites or something. The vast variance in quality kinda bums me out as it is. One of my runs had one of those empty starter levels that some dude didn't edit and uploaded, haha.

Which is the general consensus so far?

If you want to make levels, go for it. If you're just in it for playing, you get an infinite amount of mostly kaizo and sleepwalk levels. The community at large seems to mostly be making levels on the two extreme ends.

Top Bottom