• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Dragmire

Can you get a coin? Part 2

WVW69iYnNU8Ttz5YBb

Course ID: 6241-0000-0032-5CAE

It's probably moderately hard. There are about three coins that are attainable. It has a sub-area and lots of ideas, including a flying section.

instead of making a really hard wall jump filled death pit, which everything I've tired making inevitably turns into, i tired making a really easy level, with no wall jumps

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

some feedback would be nice, as i had no idea what I was doing

DeathPeak

A951-0000-0032-234B

My first real attempt at a level. Positive and negative feedback welcome! I know it's missing something. Has a little challenge I think, but I hope it's at least fun.

maxcriden

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

I gotta say, B_Bech, I've had really mixed results with the primarily non-GAFer-made courses I've tried so far. But I tried this one because of Me_Marcadet's praise above... and holy crap, what. A. Turnaround! This level is superb. I couldn't get into the Pac-Man or Yoshi Coaster ones because I didn't have the patience or skill for them at this particular minute, but man, the level above is a real treat. Your design philosophy is stupendous and I plan to recommend this one for the GAF Showcase. Supremely excellent stage!

Zero148

instead of making a really hard wall jump filled death pit, which everything I've tired making inevitably turns into, i tired making a really easy level, with no wall jumps

The level was fun, not really challenging but fun (I know I died one time ^^). There were many power ups though. I think having a little less would make it a quite challenging level for not so skilled players

Mr.Fusion

I'm thinking of making my level a bit easier. It's at about 20% completion rate right now. I didn't design it to be very hard, but.. Any suggestions would help.

Mushroom Heights 3 (There are 3 hidden 1ups as well) BA4F-0000-0029-AFEA
WVW69iYYFng6OSiJo5

A951-0000-0032-234B

My first real attempt at a level. Positive and negative feedback welcome! I know it's missing something. Has a little challenge I think, but I hope it's at least fun.

For a first attempt I thought this was pretty good, some of the jumps felt abit in awakward in terms of placement and the were abit to many spines.

But yeah, not bad. Not bad at all

I think I'm getting the hang of this. Didn't really have much of a concept in mind, so I figured... "Why not just do a pure platforming level?" No gimmicks. Start on the left, end on the right. Well, I can't quite help myself with adding secrets, so it has the usual three hidden 1-Ups, and actually over 100 coins, too.

Anyway, presenting my fifth:

Koopa Heights
WVW69iYgyXYNppMEyd

4CF5-0000-002E-5063
Description: I wanted to do a Super Mario World style level. And I don't mean "a level with SMW's tileset". I mean a level that plays like a SMW level. This is that level. The only enemies are Red Koopas, and apart from the secrets, everything else is pure running, jumping, and timing. Mario at its purest.
Secrets: Three 1-Up Mushrooms and a Yoshi​

So, anyone want to tell me how far off I am from a Super Mario World level here? I think I got pretty close... but I'm the creator, so I can't judge that. It should be beatable on the first go if you're careful. But there are a few tricky jumps, I'll admit.

Echoing the sentiment - Great job! Really had a sense of progression - liked how the third secret mirrors the first.

Boo Buddy Bridge Busters- 13EF- 0000 - 0022 - 3870
Style: SMB3
Difficulty: Medium?

Tall Tall Tower: CB20-0000-002F-1AEE
Style: SMB3
Difficulty: Easy/Medium?

Boo Bridge is a pretty fun level, but Tall Tall Tower was great! Loved the variety of mini-challenges, particularly the vines/note blocks one. Good job - it really felt like I was moving up, and reaching the top was super satisfying.

Just made a new level inspired in Donkey Kong Country with Donkey and Diddy Kong!
Please check it here: CFF2-0000-0030-1ABA
Remember to find the bonus stages!

wvw69iyywssud1ve0x9yoa7.jpeg

Super fun, loved all the different segments! I'd just recommend you'd have the vine blocks be below some sort of hazard otherwise it's easy to pass the segment by standing on the block and not the vine. Loved the bonus rooms as well, great use of P-Switches!

Quoting this one last time. I really want feedback on my Pac Man level. Has anyone played it that can give me some input? I need to know if it's too hard or too easy. Also, keep PMing me stages. The ones from GAF are brilliant. You guys deserve more credit than these dumb automatic stages that get high praise. God, I love this game but damn if the ranking system doesn't need a retooling.

Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion is fantastic - great work, especially when going between the outside & inside of the tanks! :)

B_Bech

You should be proud. Your stages are amazing. Your art direction and gamedesign are amazing.
Some of your stages are as fun, cute and clever as some Yoshi's Island stages.
The pac man stage is awesome, I'm not a fan of labyrinth level because I don't like feeling lost, but yours is very clear and you can't miss the goal if you have a little pacman knowledge. I also like that I can use my platforming skills.
I find your levels so good that I can't really tell how you could improve them. I really hope you will get more exposure, you deserve to be on the top of the list !

This comment really means a lot to me, really. It was my childhood dream to make Mario stages... that's why this is my GOAT game. I've been drawing levels in my notebooks and coming up with ideas since I was five years old. I hope I get more stars too, because I want as many people to enjoy my stages as possible! That, and I'd like to upload more than 10. I think exposure has to do with how well known you are on Youtube during these early stages. That, and people with advance copies European/Japanese seem to have gotten a tiny boost due to their stages being in circulation. Once you get on that list, your stars explode... almost in a viral way. That said, it's hard to get noticed. I don't think many people play 100 Mario challenge due to the overwhelming amount of bad stages. I just skip a ton to find the gems!

I gotta say, B_Bech, I've had really mixed results with the primarily non-GAFer-made courses I've tried so far. But I tried this one because of Me_Marcadet's praise above... and holy crap, what. A. Turnaround! This level is superb. I couldn't get into the Pac-Man or Yoshi Coaster ones because I didn't have the patience or skill for them at this particular minute, but man, the level above is a real treat. Your design philosophy is stupendous and I plan to recommend this one for the GAF Showcase. Supremely excellent stage!

Wow thanks! Once I get enough stars I'm going to make three sequels to the Steampunk Castle to make a full world. Follow me and look forward to it. What's the GAF showcase? I'm honored but clueless!

MouldyK

Hot off the heels of my last one, my 2nd Level.

12027139_10203935902032066_4085456977733037897_o.jpg

Pro-Tip: Where the Feather was on the previous floor is where the Hole to the next Floor is.

Pretty good.

There are too many power-ups, and I think you should consider removing some of the moving platforms. I would get rid of the fire flower near the start, as well as the one on the floating platform. It would also be good to make the platforms vary in direction.

Maybe replace some of the platforms with red paratroopas.

RyType

So I liked the idea behind this, but there's a few things wrong in the execution that made it slightly less fun than an extreme difficulty level could be:

Really needs some coins! I made the same mistake, it's easy to forget, but especially in an SMB1 underground, it can at least give something else to a level that can be a bland setting

The last platform of the first set of bob-ombs should only be one set. It's good that there's some run off area, but if you go too far to the right, it can set off the next lot and make the level impossible

Similarly, if you jump too high off the last koopa and hit the platform late, the blades can go to the bottom too quick and make it impossible there

After the pipe,that single blade should be on a different pattern to the saw hell coming down at you. Make in panicky, but not impossible if again you went to the right too fast.

Like I said, I enjoyed it as I like a hard level, but those few things could make it click a lot better.

Thanks for being the guinea pig! I think next time I'll try to make a level less extreme and more fun to play, there's still a couple of ideas I want to try.

WVW69iYnGKId76hHiv

HIGHWAY★STAR
3F98-0000-0032-5865

Nobody's gonna take Mario's car, he's gonna race it to the ground.
Always wanted to make a stage like this since the Mario Kart costume was revealed, and the results are pretty all right.

Proper BGM

You're the only person that did finish it. The level has a ridiculous 0.89% clear rate. Only 7 people played it but even so. Like, I didn't design it to be unbeatable bullshit. I wanted challenging but fair and I feel like I accomplished it. It's kinda disheartening that almost nobody is beating it.

But anyway thanks for the feedback and thanks for beating it!

I feel your pain - my level has a clearance percentage of 0.00%! I think it's challenging, but not THAT bad. *shrug*

It's one of the big issue the game has. Average people don't seem to have the skill or patience to complete levels. As a fan of challenge, I'm a tad disapointed by the community. I hope Nintendo will fix this issue by enabling some kind of filter. I will try your stages, this thread is a mess and it's hard to keep track of the codes. It's a shame Nintendo couldn't let us search levels by using usernames...

Try the ghost house, it's amazing, that's the one who make me think of the enius of Yoshi's Island. The battleships and the underwater level are also very good. Seriously, everyone should try B_Bech levels, I hope someone will give him some spotlight.

Ricky 7

Just finished this one. I hate you for putting those springs and fire piranha's plants at the end there. Fun level even if it did make me rage slightly. The only thing I could see as being an issue is during the Bullet Bill to red shell turtle jump. Need to be on the last block to trigger the Bill and some people might not figure that out. That cloud/spike section is a bitch as a big Mario since it's so easy to hit the sides. That's what makes it intense though. Fun wall jumping and a nice work against the Star timer to kill the plants too. Great work.
Haha, yeah my brother raged so hard because of the springs. He still hasn't completed it.
You might be right about the bullet bill jump, that seems to be the place where everyone else who tried the level died, I should have added another block.
Also thanks for the compliment.

DeathPeak

For a first attempt I thought this was pretty good, some of the jumps felt abit in awakward in terms of placement and the were abit to many spines.

But yeah, not bad. Not bad at all

I think I know which jumps you're referring too and yeah, I'll probably change them. There are helpful items before each horde of Spiny to dispose of them quick, but maybe I'll rethink that. Thanks, I appreciate it!

cyba89

Made a new level. Feel free to leave some feedback.

All the P-Switches
B157-0000-0032-8EA9
WVW69iYnbz0B4OFHHl

Medium difficulty SMB3-style level. Not too long if you run straight to the finish, but it has some bonus rooms which provide additional challenge. There are three 1Ups to find.

You can also try my other courses if you haven't already:

Mario in Adventure World: 9BA5-0000-001F-759C
Sawblade Panic: B7B7-0000-0026-2DFB
Enter The Dungeon: 25C8-0000-0017-2055
Koopa Path: 12A6-0000-0015-AC80

Haines

Banned
After playing the course world, I think there are too many players making difficult levels. Either the levels are ridiculously short and easy, or they are ridiculously hard. It would be nice to have more levels that balanced the difficulty better.

You would like my levels. Look up my post and check em out if youd like. The other dungeon maps under my authur name are the wifes. Also not bad levels.

But seriously, i totally agree. Some people forgot that mario doesnt need to be hard to be fun.

Seik

Banned
I'm reworking my Bowser's Last Resort stage with a new sub-stage and overall tweaks.

Is it possible to replace the one I uploaded already with my newer version? :3

DumbNameD

WVW69iYm3MU3gakDVd

A Cave for All Seasons (DCCD-0000-0032-3096)
Supposed to be a fairly straight-forward level with multiple paths of varying difficulties. Run. Jump. Duck.

WVW69iYm5-orkspU3k

The Fall of the House of Thwomp (A48C-0000-0032-376A)
Something of an experiment. Not really sure if the concept works.

cyba89

If you want to make levels, go for it. If you're just in it for playing, you get an infinite amount of mostly kaizo and sleepwalk levels. The community at large seems to mostly be making levels on the two extreme ends.

It's because getting the right balance is not so easy. As a creator you just don't know how a player might approach a level blind.

Kjellson

It kind of sucks that you can't edit an uploaded level. My last one had some stupid stuff that I had overlooked so I had to change it and delete the old one, and now all the plays and stuff are gone.

Oh well, at least I still have my stars.

It's 'Through the Woods*, BC8C-0000-0032-99C7 by the way.

TheBear

Does anyone find trampoline jumps to be a bit iffy? Like you don't always bounce when you want to? I made a whole level around trampoline jumps and I think that's why no one likes it :p

Bananakin

I made a few levels, if anyone is interested in checking them out.

World Minus 1? (4CA2-0000-0024-70B0)

For kicks I made a version of 1-1 that goes right to left instead of left to right. I know, I know, yet another 1-1 remix - but in my defense it's weirdly trippy to play.

No gimmicks (D6C4-0000-0027-D048)

Here I was just trying to make a nice, straightforward SMB3 level. I was aiming for not too difficult, the kind of level you might see around World 3 or 4. There are a few "secrets", although they're not actually that hidden.

Race the firesticks! (5034-0000-0030-5730)

Here I was going for something a bit more difficult. At first it was going to be just a normal castle stage, but halfway through I hit on the idea of having players "race" against rotating firesticks through circular pathways. I like the mechanic, although I think I could have done better with the progression of difficulty. I might go back and explore the idea further in a shorter, more focused course.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of them.

Sephzilla

Game of Thwomps - (2030-0000-0032-A10D)

Not a very hard level, but it requires a trick involving thwomps and coins in order to pass it.

WVW69iYnjJ09c_oGvP

Assanova

You would like my levels. Look up my post and check em out if youd like. The other dungeon maps under my authur name are the wifes. Also not bad levels.

But seriously, i totally agree. Some people forgot that mario doesnt need to be hard to be fun.

Codes? I went back a couple of pages and couldn't find any posts by you.

just finished your level, took me a few tries! Pretty tricky level but I enjoyed it. Certainly has that "just one more go" factor!

Thanks for playing dude, Glad you like it!! quite happy that the replay factor worked without being a pain and make players want give up!!

Gvitor

I just got a message saying the next batch of resources will arrive tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I download the patch and installed it...

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Slippy Spirits
9B23-0000-0032-AC5D

Would appreciate some feedback

JonnyKong

My latest level entitled ROB'S Reflection is pretty simple and short to complete, but I just wanted to play around with the idea of a mirror reflection type level. I think it's a concept which could be done brilliantly in more talented hands than mine, so please free to use the idea if you so wish.

C519 0000 0032 B936

braves01

Banned
Now that I've had some time to play the game, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with all the "social" aspects of this game. I think the miiverse integration is great and it's nice to see notifications when people play your levels and so on. It's too bad this wasn't a Wii U launch game since it's a great use of all the hardware and software features.

Here's hoping Nintendo keeps refining and patching this like they've done with Splatoon.

B_Bech

Thanks for all the stars, guys! I can now upload 20 stages. 50 stars= twenty stages. I'm going to work hard on the next batch, then post them here for feedback. This game is ridiculously addicting. I can't even believe how good some of your guys stages are. I just played a really epic Heat man recreation. Keep em' coming. PM me at least one of your levels and I will play and star them all by finding the rest on your profile. GAF needs to have a stage making contest with themes--almost like a picture prompt writing essay.

jholmes

God, trying to keep up with this thread is like trying to drink from a firehose. Here's my last stage for today, a castle level with a couple references to other SMW castle favourites of mine.

WVW69iYm_xotQ7c0ta

Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress
(92AB-0000-0032-4720)

I'll play all yours now. Thanks for the feedback! I really like making things look nice, but I try even harder to make them play well. Which moles did you have a problem with? Maybe I should put a trampoline in the beginning? I put a mushroom at the start so people could tank it if need be.

The two moles at the front come up out of little holes, so you almost have to dig them out. Maybe you like it but I felt like they're hassle enough without risking a hit by jumping on them. Just my takeaway on that placement.

how do you exit a Kuribo's Shoe?

You take damage. I think that's it.

Gvitor

just draw like there's no tomorrow and you get the delivery with the message "arrived sooner than expected".

Alright, thanks!

Having a blast with the game so far. Played 10 mario challenge, but it was fairly easy, so I jumped into the online creations and boy, there are some fantastic levels there.

Top Bottom