• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Neoweee

I don't know much about how codes work, but I assume the -0000- that appears in every code amounts to a version # ID or something, right? -0000- is only the base release, but whenever DLC or expansion or patch comes out that could cause a discrepancy or incompatibility, courses will be -0AB7- or something to signal that. Is that the general consensus?

jholmes

Just picked this up today, even though the voice inside me told me not to since I probably won't put much time into the actual "maker" part of it. Still, GCU man... 20% off plus the $20 in RCs I had accumulated, and it was only $30 w/ tax out the door. Gotta love it.

Grab a bunch of the levels in this thread and you'll be busy even without making your own stuff.

Boba2007

I've been working on a lot of visually appealing "themed" levels. Here they are if you want to try em!

mLN2Msj.png

Flight of the Thwomps
(DC36-0000-0048-1D16)

WVW69iZYRCk8UsWLjn

A short SMB3 level I whipped up around the concept of winged thwomps, I like to think it's not as terrifying as it may sound so give it a shake.
I got the idea when I played AniHawk's Kuribo's shoe focused stage, "wait, you can stand on them with this?"

Finn

Check out my newest level:

To The Star Cars
3B8C 0000 0048 2297

Some might find it a little tricky, but it's mostly just fun (or, you know, so I think). Not too long either.

kinggroin

Banned
GREEN INFERNO

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01xisqj.jpg

Multiple secrets, pathways, endings, all putting your mario platforming skills to the test! Can yiu escape in one piece? Or will you fall victim to the natives of... THE GREEN INFERNOnononooooo

PKrockin

Uploaded my first course. It's more of an experimental course. Not challenging and tried to make it fun. Hope you guys enjoy it.

tumblr_nuuf7jAbDw1ux7li8o1_1280.jpg

3449-0000-0047-F2F9
Since part of the appeal is shells doing rube goldberg stuff, try to keep the shell in the player's sight in the second puzzle. If you walk into the trampoline area at the spiny hat section before getting the spiny hat, it can be pretty hard to get back out, and I don't think the wall jumps you have to make there are very fun. The way Mario keeps losing his grip on the wall makes it feel janky. On the shell surfing section I couldn't read what the coins spelled out fast enough since I ended up collecting them while standing on the shell. Thought it said "hold B". At the part with the thwomps, the reward is a spring to reach the next area, but I think a lot of players might bring one of the springs from the previous sections with them since you don't need it for the second to last jump before the skull platform. Since I was holding the run button and not down, the surfing section actually ended with the spring already in my hands.

Hope you don't mind all the criticisms. lol. I still enjoyed the level, there are just a lot of little things that could be polished up pretty easily, though as you said this is an experimental level.

Flight of the Thwomps
(DC36-0000-0048-1D16)

WVW69iZYRCk8UsWLjn

A short SMB3 level I whipped up around the concept of winged thwomps, I like to think it's not as terrifying as it may sound so give it a shake.
I got the idea when I played AniHawk's Kuribo's shoe focused stage, "wait, you can stand on them with this?"
I'm a little ashamed of how many times I died on such an easy level, lol. It was good, although I think it might benefit from being just a little longer, if you could fit one more idea in there. From the preview I see it's already the max course size though...

I didn't take an adequate screen shot, but:

"The Contestant"

D223-0000-0048-0FC6

Done in SMB style. You won't see it directly in the course but this was inspired by random thoughts of The Hunger Games, and Gymkata. I originally wanted to make a Maze of Death but I was afraid of running out of blocks so I made it a bit of a gauntlet instead.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Time to share a few things...

I've been fooling around with interesting/odd mechanics -- most of these levels try to make use of some interesting idea/trick. I'm working on two or three others centered around "fun quirks" -- but I need to determine which of my old levels to delete. (That, or get 50 stars, but I digress.)

My most popular level is "Don't Push the Button" -- if you want "real Mario stuff," I'd suggest trying "Parallel Plumbing" (7D2E-0000-002C-7B17) or "Run (or is there another way?)" (E108-0000-0027-4CEE).

WVW69iZEqzk40rWEsY

Liquid Space (626B-0000-0040-6641)
Fly and shoot -- blast your way through!
(I discovered that flying Kuribo boots have a nice feel underwater -- and I tried to turn that into a shooter. I'm not totally happy with the results, but I do like the "feel" of the movement.)

After my earliest attempts failed to get any traction, I noticed that "auto" levels were all the rage. I rather dislike them, but I -do- like the concept of novelty levels... so I tried my hand at a few novelty stages that are, hopefully, somewhat fun.

WVW69iYsy9c7vkz3QO

Don't Fall Behind (434F-0000-0035-419F)
Don't let the giant shell get away!

WVW69iYdxccMVdG8x5

Don't Push the Button (F877-0000-002C-EE1D)
Don't push the button. Seriously. Just don't.
(This one is fun -- mainly because the button just sits there, mocking you. Go ahead -- pass it in a 100 Mario competition -- don't you wish you know what you missed?)
I was -really- trying to figure out how to create a perfect lingering death trap -- one in which the player is doomed, but they can attempt to keep alive for a bit. I had no clue to how easily and sneakily "lock off" the exits -- but those Bullet Bill canons make EXCELLENT trap doors.

WVW69iYZK4Ebtstnsh

Don't Go Through the Door (4DB4-0000-002A-51BB)
I made this before Don't Push the Button. I think Button is more refined, but this is fun too. Think of this as an inversion of the auto-complete levels.

WVW69iYc6q463KfYq_

Parallel Plumbing (7D2E-0000-002C-7B17)
My attempt at simple exploration level...starting with a fun wave of destruction. Sadly, it looks like most players get stuck on STARTING the destruction.
Stomp and kick. You can make it.

WVW69iYTjYYYPEBshk

Run (or is there another way?) (E108-0000-0027-4CEE)
Run like crazy and don't die. Trust me.
(There MIGHT be a secret alternate method, but you'll need to be careful and quick to find it.)

WVW69iYII7EYqApqqY

Take Float! (7EB4-0000-001F-7062)
My first attempt at a shooter stage -- it might be too tough, though. Liquid Space is probably better.

WVW69iYFiAkUfS9Z0X

Bob-Omb Madness (E1E5-0000-001D-F02B)
Bob-Ombs are your pals. Let them blast a path for you!
(I wanted to make a destructive level -- I think it needs more stuff, but I find it neat.)

WVW69iYE4FQAxI-dwB

Let's Go to the Hop (C6CA-0000-001D-8183)
I like Kuribo's Boot. Don't you?
(Okay, this was an early level -- it might be too demanding, but hey -- BOOT!)

WVW69iX_QfUKjD_W_4

Mega Leap (BD05-0000-0019-B59A)
My first level -- somewhat Mega Man 2 inspired, if Mega Man had no weapons at all. It seems like most folks aren't fans of this at all ... I should probably revisit it.

NSMB is by far the best style.

Also I'm utterly shocked at the completion rate for my Yoshi stage. I thought I made it a super simple introduction to the concept but only one out of the four people that played it beat it. I shudder to think what the clear rate of a more complex stage would be.

I played through your stage, I made sure Yoshi got through!

2tacos

Finally got my hands on a copy of this!

I do have a question though: Is there any reason why the unlockable content is still being released to me on a daily basis? I thought there was a patch to change that... (it appears that I have version 1.01). Is there something I am doing wrong? I haven't been able to figure it out so I have been painstakingly changing the date every 15 minutes.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Like the concept. Wish you could do more with it. But looking at the completion rate. . . Well yeah.
Yeah this has me worried too. I want to do a more complex version of this concept, but if so many people are failing on this one it's scary to think how people would take to a more complex version.

Finally got my hands on a copy of this!

I do have a question though: Is there any reason why the unlockable content is still being released to me on a daily basis? I thought there was a patch to change that... (it appears that I have version 1.01). Is there something I am doing wrong? I haven't been able to figure it out so I have been painstakingly changing the date every 15 minutes.

It'll still say because of the original 9-day rollout intention, but basically what I did was paste every available item once (to make the "new" exclamation mark" go away) and then spam the entire level with blocks and they should start showing up.

Check out my newest level:

To The Star Cars
3B8C 0000 0048 2297

Some might find it a little tricky, but it's mostly just fun (or, you know, so I think). Not too long either.

Not bad, but the stars feel kinda excessive. There isn't anything hard in the level and so having a sudden burst of power feels hollow and empty. If the level threw difficult challenges at you, and then let your star through them afterwards or in someway played with the players desire to kill everything whenever nether get a starman, I think would greatly improve it.

Still I can see there was some effort and thought put into enemy placements and after finishing a round of the 100 Mario this was a nice pallet cleanser.

Sorry I don't have a screenshot, but here's a level I spent the last few days on:

Tricky Track

E7E5-0000-0048-3118

The entirety of the level is based around a single moving platform. I wanted to come up with various unique obstacles that each posed a different challenge. It's tricky, but I tried to make it perfectly doable, and even threw in a couple of mushrooms rather than punishing any mistake with an insta-death.

I'm very happy with how it turned out, but I'd really like to hear what some of you think. Constructive criticism is definitely welcone! I'd be more than happy to try out any of your levels and give feedback in exchange!

Nbz

Hey folks! I worked for 7-8 hours on this Metroid themed level and I'm really proud of it! Feel free to give it a try and let me know what you think :D

CPJNK6kU8AEMR6Q.jpg:large

Code: F0D8-0000-0047-DD8C

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I've been working on a lot of visually appealing "themed" levels. Here they are if you want to try em!

mLN2Msj.png

These look really cool in the preview, I'll be checking them out later! Your style look similar to the kind of themed levels I'm interested in making once I have more time to play around with the creator.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not so familiar with NSMBU, do you know if any enemies from it are missing?

Well, what I meant is there's quite a few enemies from the other games who are absent in NSMBU that I think influenced them being left out---Rex, Ninji, and Chuck being what springs to mind.

But to be fair, I think Nintendo also consider which enemies played different, and went with a decent set for variety---still though I think with that in mind there are a few other choices. Swooper, since we don't have any enemy that would swoop down from the roof like that, Pokey, for a really tall "impassable" enemy, Fuzzy, (the saws kind of do what he does, but his absence is odd---he'd be easy to make sprites for the games he wasn't in, and one of the SFX buttons look like him), Eerie for an enemy that flies in a straight line through the air...

Chuck has that 3d world model so that's one issue gone. Just gotta make sprites for smb1 and 3

I don't think the 3D World Model could easily be transferred into the 2D games?

I'm a little ashamed of how many times I died on such an easy level, lol. It was good, although I think it might benefit from being just a little longer, if you could fit one more idea in there. From the preview I see it's already the max course size though...

Believe me, I wanted to but yeah I hit the max.
I could've used a sub area but I figured I'd just let this one retain its SMB3 style stage length.
Cheers for playing it, I hope you noticed the reduction in coins this time around, that's your influence in play.

OmegaDL50

Here's two more from me.

If I can I'll probably finish the whole thing eventually....all the up to 8-4. If I ever get enough Stars that is.

WVW69iZYeoQiDKhekN

Omega Mario 1-2
764D-0000-0048-3565

WVW69iZYi3gCIrSpdd

Omega Mario 1-3
4918-0000-0048-3CC1

PKrockin

Believe me, I wanted to but yeah I hit the max.
I could've used a sub area but I figured I'd just let this one retain its SMB3 style stage length.
Cheers for playing it, I hope you noticed the reduction in coins this time around, that's your influence in play.

lol, definitely.

For some reason this course isn't showing up in your "Uploaded Courses" page for me. Wonder what's up with that. Anyway I was catching up on some of your other courses and they're all great. I especially liked Spiketop Stronghold Scamper, everything was very well timed and balanced for a tense, satisfying escape.

Ever since this game was announced, I didn't expect to be creating levels myself; it was the thought of playing countless other player levels that appealed to me. But now that I have it, I'm loving working on levels myself. The editor is just so fun and easy to use.

Finn

Not bad, but the stars feel kinda excessive. There isn't anything hard in the level and so having a sudden burst of power feels hollow and empty. If the level threw difficult challenges at you, and then let your star through them afterwards or in someway played with the players desire to kill everything whenever nether get a starman, I think would greatly improve it.

Still I can see there was some effort and thought put into enemy placements and after finishing a round of the 100 Mario this was a nice pallet cleanser.

I agree about the stars. I wanted to create more of a challenge to give the stars more weight and to make them more fun, but I struggled to make something work. Either way, thanks for playing and for the feedback!

My wife wants to know if you all like her level. I think it's fun. :)

WVW69iZYcLI4jzboDX

Not bad, not bad at all. It was a little chaotic and random, but that p switch bridge section was brilliant, take a simple platforming section and force me to rush it, loved it.

...could use a free mushroom.

Do all levels get featured in the 100 Mario challenge at one point or another? And how do they determine the difficulty? I just uploaded my first level ever and it's the first draft of my 1-1 stage submission. Took me forever and I think it's pretty decent, it would make a great level for the beginner 100 Mario challenge. I'm just wondering if a single person will play it if I don't post the code anywhere.

Oh, one more thing. How do you enter text into a level? I'm talking about those little signs where the level designer can add text.

Sorry for posting so many questions, I swear I've also been playing a lot of gaffers' levels and starring them :)

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
So I've decided to take some of the basic Mario levels and reimagine them in different scenarios.

Sunken Kingdom 1-1 C6B5-0000-0048-4E7B

What if world 1-1 in Super Mario Bros sunk to the bottom of the ocean?

WVW69iZYtJA8Wg29ER

daakusedo

Ha, I had a level based around a similar concept (although in mine the floor wasn't optional, it's 56D5-0000-0034-56CF in case anyone cares)

I gave this quite a few goes and there's some good stuff in there, but it's way too frustrating.

Too many jumps require really presice timing and it's often hard to tell what that timing is until you've already jumped, the koopas on tracks are a big offender of this. The tracks needed to be eighter smaller and closer so the player can see all of it at once, or it needs more koopas so it doesn't matter when you jump if you aim it right.

Also I hate it when fireballs shoot up beneath you when your on a platform, I don't know it's that's inherintly bad, but getting a surprise death when I'm trying to judge a jump was the straw that broke the camels back

Having said that, if you dail it back it looks like a pretty decent level all things considered.

I made smaller loops and for the fireballs beneath platforms, there's one and you see it falling down when approaching, so nothing nasty. I don't want the main path to be too tame in case people don't try to chain koopas. Now that's the real challenge

Koopas chain
D1D4 0000 0048 4AA4

Kyzon

Alright guys, I have another spin for ya. A bit easier though, and it comes with a secret shortcut as well ;)

3CF5-0000-0048-50B9

WVW69iZYwZYDCeTgJO

I made smaller loops and for the fireballs beneath platforms, there's one and you see it falling down when approaching, so nothing nasty. I don't want the main path to be too tame in case people don't try to chain koopas. Now that's the real challenge

Koopas chain
D1D4 0000 0048 4AA4

I really enjoyed that with the difficulty scaled back. stared

jholmes

Can anyone recommend a few "best of GAF" levels so far?

Other than the stuff after the OP?

I think mine are pretty OK. Also just check everything made by the guys whose levels are in the OP, they're skilled dudes so they've made more than one good level. Other than that just go for what's on the page and see what you think.

WVW69iZY4u8FsJzGgX

5133-0000-0048-6277

My first creation. A fairly simple course with a focus on discovery and some neat elements. Not too challenging, designed to be fun.

VandalD

GREEN INFERNO
BF64-0000-0048048FB
Seemed like there were a few alternate paths in that level, unless I just managed to pick the right one
under the thwomp I found by spin jumping on top of it, all the way down.
Nice level.
Tricky Track
E7E5-0000-0048-3118
Good level that uses the track very well. Felt like the right length of time for such an idea. Having to do too much of the track stuff would get annoying if it got harder or the stage took longer.
Metroid Dread
F0D8-0000-0047-DD8C
Nice work on this. Opening the new paths was fun, though if I hadn't known better, I might have tried to run over the chompers instead of through the thwomps when I got the star. That would've gone badly. Good job placing powerups in appropriate places to keep playing as Samus. Not sure how I feel about the Bowser encounter's use of a hidden block.

Edit: Forgot to say that I did not expect music to happen, but hearing Talon Overworld 2 was pretty awesome.
Omega Mario 1-2
764D-0000-0048-3565
Played 1, 2, and 3. I died once in 1 because the P switch was still active when I came out of the pipe, tried to make the jump, but the diagonal coins going up blocked me, and I wasn't expecting that for some reason. I liked the special cloud area in 3.
Jumpin' Shells
3449-0000-0047-F2F9
Got stuck in this level where the spiny is supposed to be thrown to the right. Oh. Never mind. I forgot spiny helmets could break those blocks. Fun level.

Made a new level tonight. It's meant to be a level for beginners, with a path that might be fun for veterans to run as well.
Hopped up on Mushrooms (6E71-0000-0047-DF0E)

Haven't had many people finish this one (picture is a bit old). Requires a bit of thought, if you're into that kind of level.
Yoshi braves the Switch House (AE4D-0000-0040-7061)

I've got a bunch of other levels too of varying difficulty. Mostly SMB3 and SMB.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
WVW69iZY4u8FsJzGgX

5133-0000-0048-6277

My first creation. A fairly simple course with a focus on discovery and some neat elements. Not too challenging, designed to be fun.

So I ended up accidentally backtracking the entire level because of the cannonballs. Jumped right into the area with the door.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try. I hope to have a second stage designed by sometime late tonight, but it still needs a bit more fleshing out.

Other than the stuff after the OP?

I think mine are pretty OK. Also just check everything made by the guys whose levels are in the OP, they're skilled dudes so they've made more than one good level. Other than that just go for what's on the page and see what you think.

Oh damn, haven't checked the OP so thanks! Not that I'm averse to giving everyone's levels a go. I just want to see what sort of cream has risen to the top in the first week here.

McNum

Oh, just discovered an unusual combo of blocks. I have no idea how this might be useful, since I can't see a way to communicate this to players, but Burners are NOT blocks. When you place a Burner, it will place on top of the block beneath it, but NOT overwrite it.

Now what can you do with this? Well, the burner block will inherit the properties of the block it's on. So, if you place it on a Spike Trap, it will be harmful to touch, which is a jerk move since that is not a common use of them. But perhaps more interestingly, you can place it on top of a ?-Block and hide items in a Burner. Anything that goes in a ?-Block will work since it IS a ?-Block. Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, Vines, Giant Flying Bowsers, you name it. And if you use a Note Block, you should be able to trigger it from above, too. And basically trip Mario if he's running across it.

I am not entirely sure how this will be useful, but it's a weird thing I thought I'd share. Use it for good (or trolling) as you see fit.

VandalD

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try. I hope to have a second stage designed by sometime late tonight, but it still needs a bit more fleshing out.
I'd like to see someone play through this one if you want to give it a try.

Yoshi braves the Switch House (AE4D-0000-0040-7061)

If you really hate ghost houses, you might want to do this one instead.

Non-canon Cannon Ship (0031-0000-0016-9AC4)

Board the Airship
D541-0000-003E-E193
Liked this a lot, though you'd probably be pretty screwed on that blue platform you wait too long on the bullet bills while spinies spawn. Maybe could've standed to be a bit shorter, but it all felt quite fair. Most of my deaths were after my first death, when I was in a hurry to get back to where I died in the first place.

kinggroin

Banned
Seemed like there were a few alternate paths in that level, unless I just managed to pick the right one
under the thwomp I found by spin jumping on top of it, all the way down.
Nice level.

Quite a few multiple paths and secret sections. Lead to different endings

CF99-0000-002B-578B

Top Bottom