• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Mistle

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try. I hope to have a second stage designed by sometime late tonight, but it still needs a bit more fleshing out.
awesome! Give this a try: B8B2-0000-0048-90BB

Edit: changed level to new version, if you see this

Hey guys. Oh man, it's so late again here. 3 nights in a row not enough sleep creating levels... :x The next sessions will be playing your levels, GAF!

Well, here are my levels:

Flight of the Battleship (F345-0000-0048-5D1C) Difficulty: medium
Man, this took me 2 nights, around 8 hours. I don't know if something like this has been done before. Basically, in this level you ride an airship; but it's not your normal airship, because this one moves through the entire level and transforms. Dodge enemies, find hidden secrets (3 1-ups on the ship, "reset", "skip") and fight Bowser in his own airship. Can you defeat him and will your airship survive?
wiiu_screenshot_tv_019ha4r.jpg

Shadowland (862D-0000-003E-FBF8) Difficulty: medium
I think this is pretty unique, too (I hope so). At first, this looks like a normal level, but it shows its dark twist when you think you can't progress anymore.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_015wlrn.jpg

Don't jump (D8D5-0000-003A-0E19) Difficulty: hard
The name says it all. Don't jump. Most of the time you couldn't anyways because all you need in this level are walking and running skills. It may look pretty hard, but it's never unfair (I think). Progress slowly later on!
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mrl4y.jpg

I'll be streaming user-submitted levels again at about 10PM Eastern (one hour from now). Post a code for a level and I'll stream it. One code per GAFfer. It can be for your stage or someone else's stage of your choice. Just quote this post with the code so that I can easily see it. First come, first served.

In the meantime, you could also give my first stage a try. I hope to have a second stage designed by sometime late tonight, but it still needs a bit more fleshing out.

I'd appreciate it if mine could make it in thanks
Feelin' Hot! Hot! Hot!
(5433-0000-0046-88AB)

rawk

Damn I really liked this one. There were a lot of clever secrets to be found. The one at the end was good. Just a kind of "hnm let me check". You did a good job of introducing mechanics so that the player had an idea of what to do and you did the hidden block thing well. Never was I too stumped about where the block would be. The only actual issue I would have with this level is just that there isn't much actual platforming. Not that that is had, it seems you were going more puzzle, but an outside section with a bit more challenge before getting back into the base would have been great. Starred. Really quality man.

Thanks a ton! Since I based it on Metal Gear Solid, I decided to focus more on "sneaking" and puzzles and quasi-combat over platforming. The main level is pretty cramped as is. I see what you mean, though. Maybe in Mario Gear Solid 2: Coins of Liberty.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot, it's here:

Mario Gear Solid
6CE8-0000-0046-29D9

awesome!

Flight of the Battleship (F345-0000-0048-5D1C)

enjoy!

rawk

I just posted this above, but:

Mario Gear Solid
6CE8-0000-0046-29D9

Okay, no more posting that for a while!

I'll see if I can give your stage a play tonight.

kinggroin

Banned

Green Inferno

BF64-0000-0048048FB

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a ton! Since I based it on Metal Gear Solid, I decided to focus more on "sneaking" and puzzles and quasi-combat over platforming. The main level is pretty cramped as is. I see what you mean, though. Maybe in Mario Gear Solid 2: Coins of Liberty.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot, it's here:

Mario Gear Solid
6CE8-0000-0046-29D9

I love how you used the Bob-Ombs.

My best level to date, SMB version of Super Mario Sunshine (including everyone's favorite Star)
Edit: Fixed the SFX: 6B09-0000-0048-7C34
I will give your level a shot!

Pooxi

Neo Member

Oooh I hope you can give this level a try:

TLoM 1-1 Forest Temple v2
60BF-0000-003F-2DDB

Well I guess I'll post my first level here. This is a rough draft for my 1-1 submission. Don't let it turn you off that it's seemingly so easy, there is an expert challenge too. There is a way to beat it in 20 seconds (fastest possible AFAIK), so 480 left on the clock :)

ID: 47B0-0000-0048-3465

MFh39AK.jpg

Sapiens

Oooh, stream mine, please: Mission: Rescue Yoshi!!!

(6D02-0000-0043-8DD5)

devonodev

I don't think it's my best, but it's my newest. A remake of the first level from DKC2.
ED91-0000-0046-4A3B

I will try yours later too

rawk

I love how you used the Bob-Ombs.

Thank you. At first, I had the two main "boss battles" centered around picking up and throwing bob-ombs, but after some testing I realized that would be too hard for many people. I still wanted to incorporate them, though, because I wanted things to explode, so I ended up redesigning those parts as puzzles instead.

Kyzon

3CF5-0000-0048-50B9

There's an easy way and a hard way of going through this.

lol, I check miiverse out of curiousity and see a new post about one of my troll levels.

I check it out and it's deleted by administrator.

He must've really hated the level.

Dad

Breakfast at Montgomery's
473A-0000-0039-CE82

OmegaDL50

Eventually there is going to be an existential crisis of GOOD / QUALITY SMM levels.

The crux of this problem is that if you create a level with enemy spam...Star power genocide...auto-complete levels.

People are giving these poor effort stages Stars for these.

Create a level with some decent effort and time invested into it...you know, actually make something decent, you don't get Stars for this.

What does this mean.

Less stars given means less room to make more stages for uploads. More shit levels get more stars, which means even more room for the shit stage creators to populate their shit online with.

Clearly I am not the only one that sees the problem with this?

Gsnap

Well I guess I'll post my first level here. This is a rough draft for my 1-1 submission. Don't let it turn you off that it's seemingly so easy, there is an expert challenge too. There is a way to beat it in 20 seconds (fastest possible AFAIK), so 480 left on the clock :)

ID: 47B0-0000-0048-3465

MFh39AK.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 480 is the fastest it's possible to get from one end to the other in a full size stage. One of the stages I'm working on right now has a speed run route where you never have to stop and I can never get under 480.

By the way, are the units of time in this actual second?

Eventually there is going to be an existential crisis of GOOD / QUALITY SMM levels.

The crux of this problem is that if you create a level with enemy spam...Star power genocide...auto-complete levels.

People are giving these poor effort stages Stars for these.

Create a level with some decent effort and time invested into it...you know, actually make something decent, you don't get Stars for this.

What does this mean.

Less stars given means less room to make more stages for uploads. More shit levels get more stars, which means even more room for the shit stage creators to populate their shit online with.

Clearly I am not the only one that sees the problem with this?

I think the problem is that people who bought this game bought it specifically for the crazy stages. I imagine they're thinking, "I can get a normal mario level in a normal mario game. Why should I care about one in here?" And then add that to the fact that, even if your stage is really good, people are really only likely to play it once, not really caring about looking for secrets or speedrunning, because hey, doesn't matter how good this level is, it's not a real mario level, so why should I care? Add to that the fact that we can't create worlds, just single levels. And then add to that the fact that most content is locked behind 100 mario challenge, where nobody has time to beat their head against the wall with a moderately difficult, but interesting level when they could just skip and and hope for an easy level. The number of people who die once and then skip is probably huge.

New stage. It's a clone of a popular indie game people love. It's the best clone available in SMM
CPJeXpoUcAAJ31Y

CPJikfGU8AA2mPR

flappy-bird-what-happens-when-you-reach-high-score-999-video.jpg

CPJi104UEAAdXpK

hopefully it's not too hard. My brother was able to beat it relatively easily. My other stages are designed better but people seem to like these types of levels more

BooJoh

WVW69iYqHgkLqxdHt7

Title: Nightmares in 1-1
Code: F2F6-0000-0034-3C40

Taramoor

0A23-0000-0030-B14F

A lot of people seem to like this one. I'm curious to see someone actually go through it though.

Yikes! Spikes! (ACA8-0000-0040-53D9)

chumby

Neo Member

D8DB-0000-003F-6586

Please, and thank you! :)

Yuterald

Tree of Beginnings: 2C07-0000-003F-A663

I've updated this stage since then, but I haven't uploaded the revised version yet. Still unsure about the adjustments/additions I've made to my revised level.

jholmes

How about Magicant? (A30E-0000-003E-82AB)

Enjoyed last night's stream, by the way!

Been trying to make more alternative ways to beat the level.

Do what you must to complete!

(3F2E-0000-0048-2721)

Also remade Wicked Way Wonder into

Bowser's Suspicious Basement... (Named by a friend of mine who won a bet)

(8285-0000-0048-858B)

Sephzilla

Chain Chomp For Joy! (6CFC-0000-0048-2A97)

Hey, if you could stream my newer level, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Airships' Return
BE81-0000-0040-5DC6

optimiss

A Song of Fire and Ice (35C0-0000-0045-C628)

Explore everywhere from the frostbitten arctic tundra to the depths of Grumble Volcano. Can you find the way out?

kunonabi

9FD4-0000-0047-6403

It's kind of a boring stage if you're not going for the bonus or "difficult" routes but it would be nice to see somebody play it anyway.

GAF. I sold out. I decided to make an autoscroll level. I wanted to make Song of Healing, so I made a music box version as well as one with strings. It's pretty basic. I'm not good enough to weave Mario in and out of the notes and just trapped him on the bottom. Through my experimenting, I couldn't find a way to play two sounds at once. I wanted to put more instruments in, but they wouldn't play at the same time as the main melody, so I just had to settle for this. I know most of you don't care for levels like this, but if any of you happened to want to see it:

WVW69iZZIbgZfBjYHt

Song of Healing Music Box

580C-0000-0048-7DD6

Song of Healing String Version

3682-0000-0048-85D9

I like the String Version because the Piranha Plants' fire makes it look pretty. I think I can experiment more with making interesting scenery for the viewer, but of course I won't neglect real levels.

Trevelyan

Banned
Some truly fantastic levels here. Going to start starring and following people. My wife and I made a course that I actually think is not bad. Give it a twirl if you can and thanks!

F1BD 0000 0048 98F7

Willxc123

9722-0000-0043-B401
Super Goomba Bros

No one as been able to beat my stage yet, I didnt think it was that difficult.... I guess it is more thinky/puzzle-y than most levels

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Streaming the following levels live. Watch at either of these URLs:
http://gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live
http://youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

If you join late, remember that you can rewind the stream at any time to catch what you missed. Also try picking a lower resolution/quality setting if the stream is lagging for you.

AE4D-0000-0040-7061 VandalD
CF99-0000-002B-578B Oni Link 666
9FC4-0000-0045-D6FA Mistle
5433-0000-0046-88AB DodgyTaZombie
F345-0000-0048-5D1C :Motorbass
6CE8-0000-0046-29D9 rawk
BF64-0000-0048048FB kinggroin
6B09-0000-0048-7C34 TheSlySoul
60BF-0000-003F-2DDB Pooxi
6D02-0000-0043-8DD5 Sapiens
ED91-0000-0046-4A3B devonodev
3CF5-0000-0048-50B9 Kyzon
473A-0000-0039-CE82 Dad
F2F6-0000-0034-3C40 BooJoh
0A23-0000-0030-B14F Taramoor
ACA8-0000-0040-53D9 TheBaldEmperor
D8DB-0000-003F-6586 chumby
2C07-0000-003F-A663 Yuterald
A30E-0000-003E-82AB jholmes
6CFC-0000-0048-2A97 Sephzilla
BE81-0000-0040-5DC6 Lupin the Third
9FD4-0000-0047-6403 kunonabi
9722-0000-0043-B401 Willxc123

There's a lot on the list tonight. I'll try to get through what I can in about 2 hours.

R00bot

Hey guys, after some feedback from GAF I've completely revamped my level, The Great Galoomba Factory. It is now about double the length with a completely different third section, now equipped with more sections after that, new secrets, a puzzle searching for a hidden block in the subworld, and what I believe is a better difficulty curve.

It's not perfect, but I believe it might just be the best possible version of this level.

Check it out!

The Great Galoomba Factory(V2.0)

6DF4-0000-0048-9CCF

I have 3 levels uploaded. So far no one has beat my last 2 but the 1st is pretty easy.

9f49-0000-0044-e806
This is a propeller hat stage with some tricky jumps. I made it pretty forgiving with hats consistently being shot at resting points.

5058-0000-003f-91d8
I had a little fun with this one. The floors are made entirely of spikes and I added a little FU at the end, only if don't do the level as intended

F140-0000-0034-fc04
This one is fairly easy. Beginning is the only hard part. It's the only stage I made to be completed.

I would like some feedback if any. I have yet to unlock everything as well

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I just did the 100 Mario Challenge on expert. I only made it to the 5th stage using all my 100 lives.

Basically the stages I've played are troll/trial and error stages. Not only were they're troll stages, they also required near extreme skills to make certain jumps and what not. It drove me to the brink of insanity. I'm not going to lie but, I did have some fun. If that is what in store for me when playing on expert, I have no idea how I'm going to complete 16 stages on 100 lives.

OmegaDL50

Here's another one folks

WVW69iZZfbsummc7M3

Omega Mario 1-4 Airship

9F4A-0000-0048-A538

Finally completed my first World...now I need to think of the theme for World 2.

I just did the 100 Mario Challenge on expert. I only made it to the 5th stage using all my 100 lives.

Basically the stages I've played are troll/trial and error stages. Not only were they're troll stages, they also required near extreme skills to make certain jumps and what not. It drove me to the brink of insanity. I'm not going to lie but, I did have some fun. If that is what in store for me when playing on expert, I have no idea how I'm going to complete 16 stages on 100 lives.

The skip level function is your friend.

R00bot

My best on expert is stage 10. Is the reward just a single amiibo costume for expert?

Top Bottom