• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Anteo

How do you get those dark bricks outside? And I see people having multiple colors of mushroom platform... ????

See that tree like platform the red koopa troopa is standing on? Shake it to get different patterns, including dark bricks.

Shake the mushroom platforms too for new colors

DumbNameD

Couple more to the pile:
WVW69iZzxg8I8PN0hS

Sit on It: A Ground-Pound Tale (B375-0000-0052-5D5D)
Based upon a true story about a ground-pounder who pounded ground.

WVW69iZz4kQf8E7Osn

Gimme Stars! (B610-0000-0052-6A57)
A lighthearted "troll" course.

----------
I'm Your Density. (41BB-0000-001D-2443) [7.5% Clear Rate]
A Cave for All Seasons (DCCD-0000-0032-3096) [63%]
The Fall of the House of Thwomp (A48C-0000-0032-376A) [8%]
Aqua Test Puzzle Force (6EF7-0000-003B-0DFA) [0%]

Hi GAF!

I'm going to be streaming some of your stages in about an hour. 1:30pm pacific time.

Quote this with 1 of your stages, or a stage you'd like me to try, and I'll add it to the list.

Model 500: C664-0000-0047-837E

That will be the first stage, then it's first come first serve after that :)
How about this stage?
My first level with a clear design and intent. It's pretty difficult for me but doable. I think I will make more changes to this level in the future, but I'll post the rough draft version for now. Let me know what you think!

Fire, Thwomps, Flying Things
4CCE-0000-0035-9AF6

And of course I plan on trying the levels provided here when I come back from work tmrw :)
I've been wanting to redo this level tbh, but I would like to get some more feedback before I go ahead with changes.

Anyone ever get half way through a design and then sorta decide that the level thus far isn't actually fun? I have that right not, 3-4hours spent but I don't actually think the level is very good.

Munter

Anyone ever get half way through a design and then sorta decide that the level thus far isn't actually fun? I have that right not, 3-4hours spent but I don't actually think the level is very good.

People can be their own worst critic. Get someone else to give it a go, get some feedback before giving up on it.

Hi GAF!

I'm going to be streaming some of your stages in about an hour. 1:30pm pacific time.

Quote this with 1 of your stages, or a stage you'd like me to try, and I'll add it to the list.

This was played on a couple of streams last night, but I'd still enjoy seeing it played again. I learned a lot from watching both of the others.

E8BD-0000-004B-D274

Edit: Oh, oops, I'm waaaaaaaay late.

MouldyK

Yep, right now.

I've dumbed down my level to make it easier because it was too hard for me to try to edit. :p

Anyone else make the level harder, then tone it down to "Just Right"?

I've been wanting to redo this level tbh, but I would like to get some more feedback before I go ahead with changes.
I like the concepts here (and not just because I also have a flying Thwomp stage), particularly how certain highlighted blocks unleash podoboos/fireballs which then become part of the lava hazard below.
The fact that the Thwomps and Lakitu can add to this is an interesting use of both.

Personally what I'd do here if I were redoing it is make use of sublevels to separate fire chucking Lakitu into his own area that has less hazards on the whole so that he can have his focal point there with just a few thwomps leaving the main bulk of the stage to the thwomps alone.
The section at the very end also can get too messy to keep a handle on things between the precision jumps and thwomps/fireballs/lakitu.

This happens to me all the time.

What I do is, instead of scrapping the whole level, I figure out what PARTS of the level I don't like, and I erase those. This may mean erasing 90% of the level, but the 10% that I'm left with is really, really good. I then start from scratch on the empty sections, moving stuff around as needed for cohesiveness.

As I go, I continue to play-test, and continue removing pieces I dislike. Eventually—at some point—the whole level gets filled out.

Sölf

WVW69iZ0SVY5aORN4k

Piranha Temple
2124-0000-0052-978D

Tried a small Zelda dungeon with a few puzzles. I think what I have here is okay, it's just way to easy and to short. I didn't really have any ideas. Will probably update this sometime in the future, but this is the first attempt of doing something like this.

People can be their own worst critic. Get someone else to give it a go, get some feedback before giving up on it.

Right now I mostly just decided to save the design and come back with a clear mind. I have only made 3 levels so I have lots of upload space. Maybe I will come back to it tomorrow.

Yep, right now.

I've dumbed down my level to make it easier because it was too hard for me to try to edit. :p

Anyone else make the level harder, then tone it down to "Just Right"?

Well it depends on how you design I suppose. If you like to get a rough version playable then tweak I can imagine that this approach would be good. I playtest every few blocks elements and decide whether I find them fun. If I can't come up with something fun I just stay stuck at that spot or do something else.

This happens to me all the time.

What I do is, instead of scrapping the whole level, I figure out what PARTS of the level I don't like, and I erase those. This may mean erasing 90% of the level, but the 10% that I'm left with is really, really good. I then start from scratch on the empty sections, moving stuff around as needed for cohesiveness.

As I go, I continue to play-test, and continue removing pieces I dislike. Eventually—at some point—the whole level gets filled out.

That's a cool approach too. I struggle with cohesion in my levels. Making it so that everything is seemless. I prettyy much have to go left to right lest I frustrate myself haha.

MouldyK

Well it depends on how you design I suppose. If you like to get a rough version playable then tweak I can imagine that this approach would be good. I playtest every few blocks elements and decide whether I find them fun. If I can't come up with something fun I just stay stuck at that spot or do something else.

I build my levels in what I like to call "Chunks". Right now, i'm trying to build a 9-Chunk Level which can be completed in 120 Seconds Maximum.

I've maybe built 20 "Chunks" today, but only 4 have stuck, which were the first 4 I built, but i've tweaked my Maze Chunk from:

- Stupidly easy that Robin had no problem with that part.
- Stupidly hard in which a part needed crouching.
- Hard in which the crouch part was removed, but other parts seemed too close for comfort.

Now it's sort of much easier to handle, but not as easy as it's first iteration.

Trying to think of 1 last chunk for the day, then i'll think of 2 more tomorrow and Monday and publish it on Tuesday.

Am I annoyed that 16 Chunks i've made today have not been fun? Kind of, but rather I play them and think they are crap than let people play and have a hard time.

I've played enough 100-Mario (like 4 times) to know that levels which aren't fun are annoying. You need to strike a balance, one which many fail to.

EDIT: Realise the maze is the only good part in my level, deleting the other Chunks to make a 9-Maze Level.

I like the concepts here (and not just because I also have a flying Thwomp stage), particularly how certain highlighted blocks unleash podoboos/fireballs which then become part of the lava hazard below.
The fact that the Thwomps and Lakitu can add to this is an interesting use of both.

Personally what I'd do here if I were redoing it is make use of sublevels to separate fire chucking Lakitu into his own area that has less hazards on the whole so that he can have his focal point there with just a few thwomps leaving the main bulk of the stage to the thwomps alone.
The section at the very end also can get too messy to keep a handle on things between the precision jumps and thwomps/fireballs/lakitu.
Ah that sounds good :) I do admit that the level gets pretty hectic after awhile with the flying thwomps and if the lakitus stick around long enough to throw down too many fireballs. I definitely need to redo the end of the level, I'll own up to it having the least amount of work.

But yeah, I think separating out the fire throwing lakitus as their own challenge will be something I will try. I'm a little worried about the majority of enemies being invincible and whether or not that'll impact how enjoyable the level will be.

BTW did you find a use for the koopa at the start of the level?

Alright, I am back with another course. Tried to go back to the basics to try and hone my level design skills. (Now I need to work on my course naming skills) As usual any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

World 1-3
8918-0000-0052-9CC9
Easier level with a secret exit and 3 1- ups for each path.
EnmXfrGl.jpg

Kouriozan

Also got 50 stars so I can upload more courses.
Considering the lack of Mario Bros. 3 courses in 100 Mario Challenge, I'll probably make a lot of them.

Dad

I've made a few more levels since that last I posted. I'm not as happy with these as I was my earlier stuff, but I would love some feedback on certain aspects that are lacking.

WVW69iZyHHEClWEV3V

Chill Chill Manor
58CA-0000-0051-A54E
Easy-Medium Difficulty

WVW69iY-lA4yl7O5n8

Sharp Sharp Sawmill
18D3-0000-003D-AC0B
Medium Difficulty

WVW69iY1A3I3CxjXyu

Scrolling Smashers
931E-0000-0039-6D67
Medium Difficulty

Hi GAF!

Goomba's Grinder Grotto: 3A39-0000-0052-9D81

KDt1rFo.jpg

Hi GAF!

You could try my rollercoaster stage if you like :)

Protome

I liked it, it does feel like an actual Mario level. I think you should submit something to the 1-1 contest.
Thanks! This actually started as my 1-1 competition entry (it's still named Gaf1-1 in my saves haha) but I decided it was too complex for a 1-1 when I uploaded it. Ill hopefully get a chance to make an entry tomorrow instead.

RaidenZR

Hi GAF!

I was pretty happy with the one I just posted-

The Big Boo Switch-Up!
AA8C-0000-0052-99E8

Also the previous one I made has hardly gotten any plays:

Kuribo's Boot-Bop
4F67-0000-003B-4F4F

OmegaDL50

Not sure if anyone knows this but...

The Goomba Shoe hurts Bowser if you step on him with it.

Also adding Wings to a Goomba Shoe will give it similar effect to Yoshi's Flutter Jump.

I am thinking of creating a level using the Winged Goomba Shoe as a central mechanic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. How do you design a level like this?!

well then

Yeah...these levels are ones which I hate. xD

Actually, I hate looking at Pro-Levels because it puts mine to shame xD

Dang, that's a creative use of bob ombs being able to take more than one hit :) I tried doing something similar with the player having to "carry" a bob omb by fire flower in SMB1 mode.

The Yoshi part is just ridiculous. Goddamn

http://www.twitch.tv/mitchflowerpower

here's a guy playing more of his levels if you're interested

RaidenZR

Not sure if anyone knows this but...

The Goomba Shoe hurts Bowser if you step on him with it.

Also adding Wings to a Goomba Shoe will give it similar effect to Yoshi's Flutter Jump.

I am thinking of creating a level using the Winged Goomba Shoe as a central mechanic.

Yeah, I figured this out as well. Pretty cool. I used it in the stage I just mentioned above "Kuribo's Boot-Bop" but I didn't require it. It's just a fun way to finish the level. Give it a shot, maybe it'll trigger some better idea for yourself! Looking forward to playing whatever you come up with!

I build my levels in what I like to call "Chunks". Right now, i'm trying to build a 9-Chunk Level which can be completed in 120 Seconds Maximum.

I've maybe built 20 "Chunks" today, but only 4 have stuck, which were the first 4 I built, but i've tweaked my Maze Chunk from:

- Stupidly easy that Robin had no problem with that part.
- Stupidly hard in which a part needed crouching.
- Hard in which the crouch part was removed, but other parts seemed too close for comfort.

Now it's sort of much easier to handle, but not as easy as it's first iteration.

Trying to think of 1 last chunk for the day, then i'll think of 2 more tomorrow and Monday and publish it on Tuesday.

Am I annoyed that 16 Chunks i've made today have not been fun? Kind of, but rather I play them and think they are crap than let people play and have a hard time.

I've played enough 100-Mario (like 4 times) to know that levels which aren't fun are annoying. You need to strike a balance, one which many fail to.

EDIT: Realise the maze is the only good part in my level, deleting the other Chunks to make a 9-Maze Level.

That's a good approach. I def get that its hard to design. Excited to try your maze level. I started a new level with a different theme. Having way more fun making just plain levels.

Well designed levels are vetter than flawed gimmick. And it takes very little to make a level awful

heyf00L

BA41-0000-0052-68B1

OK I remember my password finally so I can post a picture.
WVW69iZz3pIoE6U34t

Cheep Cheep's Locker

based on
LockjawsLocker.jpg

DKC2's Lockjaw's Locker

It's pretty easy to beat, but the fun is in finding the over a dozen secrets. Can you find the 4 hidden 1-ups?
They're where the Kong letters used to be.

1up

I don't think I can do better then this level right now. We'll have to see. This is a classic Vanilla Dome level that uses a lot of different mechanics that culminate into a final test.

285D-0000-0052-CCFD

Vanilla Dome Crunch!

ahQKKMy.png

Anywho I'll be streaming GAF levels again around 7ish EST.

MouldyK

That's a good approach. I def get that its hard to design. Excited to try your maze level. I started a new level with a different theme. Having way more fun making just plain levels.

Well designed levels are vetter than flawed gimmick. And it takes very little to make a level awful

I deleted all levels except my Most Successful one.

And yeah, as much as I wanna get 1,000 Stars for making a crap level like Super Meat Bros. or any of RubberRoss's levels, I prefer levels which ain't Sadistic.

"The Past Shows The Way" will always be the most creative one I will make as very few do it. Might just move to making a 2nd one, but more fun and maybe less tedious.

Course ID: EA90-0000-0039-3E6A

People can try that if you want, it's hard to lose. :D

Dude Guy

GAF, are my stages too hard? Combined they've only got a 5/210 success rate 😢

Jump For Bright Ideas
7F05-0000-0033-BCE7

Gotta Go Fast
4D82-0000-004C-AD1C

correojon

I just finished another level, this one has taken me 3 days and I´m pretty happy with the result. Hope it gets the same reception as Circular Platforms 2!

CIRCULAR PLATFORMS 3
A48C-0000-0052-02E2
2kt9mHc.png

This is the third entry in the Circular Platforms trilogy. The level has different routes depending on the player´s skill and even a big reward for those who manage to get over all challenges unscathed and can find the hidden powerup. As in previous Circular Platform levels, few elements are used but they are combined in different ways throughout the level to create new challenges. The level has a nice pace: you have time to think and plan your approach between challenges and there even are puzzles in between to relax the tension...but don´t get too relaxed or you might fail the next challenge!

There are 2 hidden 1Ups and a secret treasure room with an awesome reward, but only those deemed worthy will be able to enter.

Hope you enjoy it and if you find the secret treasure room please post a comment and brag about it!

Thud

I'll be playing some GAF levels for about a hour or so. Quote me with your level + ID and I'll give you some feedback and a star.

Here are some of my own levels:

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3A7D
Description: Revisit Mario Kart 64 while racing through Bowser's castle. The ? blocks are mostly filled with Mario Kart items.

Casterly Shroom (Hold & Tap Y)
0B81-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

Last Hours (Dawn of a New Day)
2BBD-0000-003F-47B9
Description: A short retelling of the moon crashing on Termina. Spiritual succesor to the Dawn trilogy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll be playing some GAF levels for about a hour or so. Quote me with your level + ID and I'll give you some feedback and a star.

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3AD
Description: Revisit Mario Kart 64 while racing through Bowser's castle. The ? blocks are mostly filled with Mario Kart items.

0BB1-0000-004F-CF08
Description: Venture Casterly Shroom of House Goombaster while going through a trial by Y combat. And maybe you'll find out if Tywin Goombaster really shits gold.

2BBD-0000-003F-4B9
Description: A short retelling of the moon crashing on Termina. Spiritual succesor to the Dawn trilogy.

Well, some feedback is always accepted!

Ora si sale, ora si scende
ID: 2C4B-0000-0025-57B3

Vie multiple nella nave volante
ID: 7435-0000-0037-3A28

Castello in aria? No, in acqua
ID: EF24-0000-0045-AB42

Ferrio

Banned

Submission for the SMM-GAF Community Contest #1

Level Name: Peaceful Plains
Code: EAA5-0000-0052-DF04
Tile set: Mario 3

Concepts Introduced:
Power-ups (Mushroom/Flower/Star Power)
Sub-levels
Run Jumping
Kicking and carrying Shells
Secret Blocks
Secret Vines
P-Switch

All which are optional. The only skill needed to beat the level is going right and regular jumping.

This is actually the second revision (albeit very slightly modified). The first one I had up to gather opinions and deaths. Even though the level is extremely simple there was a 78% clear rate, with 9 deaths outta 41 clears. The vast majority of deaths came from the very first goomba.

Ramsiege

Bowser's Castle 64
4DE0-0000-004B-3AD

0BB1-0000-004F-CF08

2BBD-0000-003F-4B9

Looks like you may have written those incorrectly. I couldn't find any of them. Can you recheck then please?

Top Bottom