• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Origins Screenshots And Trailer

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My PC can't run DA. Which is a bummer. But I was wondering about the console versions. If a 20GB install is required for PC, has Bioware commented on whether or not the PS3 version will have an advantage over X360 in this area (better audio, better textures)?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fakto said:
That counting all the diferent origins, right ?
10-15 hrs. for each origin seems pretty short to me since I'm probably going to play through only one or two.

.....What would make you think that?

DenogginizerOS said:
My PC can't run DA. Which is a bummer. But I was wondering about the console versions. If a 20GB install is required for PC, has Bioware commented on whether or not the PS3 version will have an advantage over X360 in this area (better audio, better textures)?

PS3 has uncompressed sound and maybe textures I'm not 100% sure on this.

Fakto

Pankaks said:
.....What would make you think that?
Pure expeculation. Oh, trust me, I'm the first one to wish that a single origin could last that long ... remember the troppy list ? It gave motives to suspect that bioware considers the playthrough as the convination of all the origins.
Plus, 70 hours seems to long [or to good to be true] for each origin.

Fredescu

Lime said:
Does anyone know if the PC version will have that shitty DRM (limit of 4 activations) that PC games published by EA usually have?
EA games don't "usually" have that anymore. They have changed their stance on PC DRM.

Fakto said:
That counting all the diferent origins, right ?
10-15 hrs. for each origin seems pretty short to me since I'm probably going to play through only one or two.
The other review we've seen says that if you absolutely fly through the main quest and ignore all else you will finish it in 40, but most people will take longer.

Fakto said:
I don't think they'll be different enough for it to be worth playing every single one. I'm expecting there to be differences, but it won't be a completely different game. If you really did play through them all though I'd imagine you'd cut down the play time of each successive run.

Tubobutts

I'm pretty sure each origin is only a couple of hours long. After that you join the main quest which will be slightly different based on your origin.

FrankT

I'm really thinking about supporting this game after seeing the first two reviews and the footage from GB (no thanks to Bioware PR to date that much is certain, which says a lot since I'm a huge WRPG fan). Anyhow I would love to see some 360 footage soonish since that is what I will buy it on, and we're three weeks away from go.

Fakto said:
Pure expeculation. Oh, trust me, I'm the first one to wish that a single origin could last that long ... remember the troppy list ? It gave motives to suspect that bioware considers the playthrough as the convination of all the origins.

When developers say its 70 hours, it'll be 30 hours for someone who is familiar with that kind of game, and 40 hours for someone who's new to the genre. In my experience, at least.

Victrix

*beard*
All signs point to the game being huge

Why they're not playing up the breadth of the world and potential story replayability, tough set piece battles, and wide range of npc interactions instead of horribly made youtube fan anime videos for trailers, I could not answer

I have a feeling this game is going to be pretty lengthy.

And hoping the modding tools will add a lot as well.

I can already see some of the BG2 cast making an appearance after slight modding.

Purkake4

Banned
Character editor is better than the Mass Effect one, sweet.

Screenshot20091014025132268.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I've had the opportunity to ask three different devs about their completion times and they were... 45, 60, and 65 respectively. One of my interviews went live today and I have two more going up over the course of the next few days.

Each origin will take 2-4 hrs to complete and then you'll be free to play the game anyway you like.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Purkake4 said:
Character editor is better than the Mass Effect one, sweet.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/purkake/Screenshot20091014025132268.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Fuck yea, but sadly I know I'm going to still spend 10 hours on the eyebrows :(.

(My computer can't run the character creator)

[QUOTE=Caspel]I've had the opportunity to ask three different devs about their completion times and they were... 45, 60, and 65 respectively. One of my interviews went live today and I have two more going up over the course of the next few days.
[B]
Each origin will take 2-4 hrs to complete and then you'll be free to play the game anyway you like.[/B][/QUOTE]

Very nice, thanks for the heads up.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Pankaks said:
Fuck yea, but sadly I know I'm going to still spend 10 hours on the eyebrows :(.
Don't worry, there's only one decent set of eyebrows, for females at least.

Pancakes

K.Jack said:
Don't worry, there's only one decent set of eyebrows, for females at least.

So long as I don't get Asian only eyes or super surprised eyes like in Mass Effect, I'm good :D.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
A Black Falcon said:
-On the issue of complexity, game design elements like moral questions, morality meters, branching plots that allow you to be good or evil, and such are elements of depth that should be considered when discussing how complex a game is. The complexity of the battle system is not the only thing that matters. RPGs are, or should be, about more than just combat.

You made great points all around. But this is one of the best points.

This is what made me love WRPGs all the way from the Ultima/Wasteland days. And this is why I only play 1 or 2 JRPGs a year... I don't really play RPGs for the battlesystem or for a A to B only story..

I like creating cool characters who I can play like I imagined them. Also I like bad ass weapons that I can see in action. ;)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
AstroLad said:
or read about ie blood sausage

Well yeah... the writing was so good back then for a lot of games it was like seeing them in action..

It is becoming less and less in games these days... but one thing I hate more than anything is getting some badass weapon and my character looking the same..

Also got to worry about the way the mouth animates. If you move the sliders around too much it might look wonky. Not that it doesn't look wonky no matter what sometimes.

Edit: although if i remember right the main character doesn't really have spoken lines so might not be a big deal.

Purkake4

Banned
I can't possibly imagine what a multiplayer mode would add. Weren't you people just complaining about every game having an arbitrary multiplayer mode that no one uses?

Mass Effect did pretty good without a multiplayer mode, right?

temp

posting on contract only
Purkake4 said:
I can't possibly imagine what a multiplayer mode would add. Weren't you people just complaining about every game having an arbitrary multiplayer mode that no one uses?

Baldur's Gate had multiplayer. I dunno.

nubbe

If it is half the length of NWN it will be long enough.

I remember playing NWN and not even be half way through and thinking to myself... "Dose this shit have no end!?"
But I love NWN and the expansions. But NWN2 never managed to capture me.

koji

Purkake4 said:

Guess you never played Neverwinter Nights online, community made miniature mmorpgs with the toolset and ran them on community servers etc, people still play it online on those persistent worlds (some had 50 people on all the time, depending on server hardware etc, entire side communities spawned, own forums for the servers and mods they ran etc etc etc, community based gaming at its best imo)

example:

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Aventia

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Eternal_Destiny

Or just create an adventure in the toolset, invite some friends, you DM, stuff like that... The Bioware mod/fan community really made some gems with that NWN toolset

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, what I've seen so far looks like a very solid game that will keep me occupied for a while, just a shame we won't get that awesome NWNish online stuff

Fakto

Fredescu said:
The other review we've seen says that if you absolutely fly through the main quest and ignore all else you will finish it in 40, but most people will take longer.

I don't think they'll be different enough for it to be worth playing every single one. I'm expecting there to be differences, but it won't be a completely different game. If you really did play through them all though I'd imagine you'd cut down the play time of each successive run.

I'm buying the PC version, but, the console version give trophys for completing the game with each origin. So, how long to get platinium ? 30 h x 7 horigins = 210 hours ?
That's what I'm saying, seems too long for a single player experience. And at the same time rises my suspucions about those 100 hours being the total amount of play through the game offers, counting all 7 origins.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a review that confirm the 40-70 hours per origin :3

Fakto said:
I'm buying the PC version, but, the console version give trophys for completing the game with each origin. So, how long to get platinium ? 30 h x 7 horigins = 210 hours ?
That's what I'm saying, seems too long for a single player experience. And at the same time rises my suspucions about those 100 hours being the total amount of play through the game offers, counting all 7 origins.

Game Informer said:
The central narrative arc and the characters involved serve the setting well, but don’t deviate far from expectations. On the other hand, the subplots have some great hooks that I won’t spoil here – though I will say that the mages’ tower is awesome. A speed demon could blow through the main story in 40 hours, but thorough players can expect about 70.

Full review.

Fredescu

Fakto said:
Completing the game seven times is bound to take a long time. You'll probably cut that completition time down though as you get familiar with the main quest. It's not going to be as simple as 7x30.

Fakto said:
http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx

"A speed demon could blow through the main story in 40 hours, but thorough players can expect about 70."

Fakto said:

The origin is only a few hours long. Then you go the main quest which will be pretty much the same but with slight repercussions depending on choices, party etc. It's 40-70 hours per playthrough - if you choose to play it more than once then, sure, multiply that number or whatever. But don't expect 6 40-70 hour games on one disc.

CAVE343

40 to 70 hours is more than enough for me. We can't expect the same length as BG2 since it took me almost 200 hours to complete that one :) This will probably be my game of the year

Myr

Banned
Creating BG2 in 3D with full voice acting would take forever. 40-70 hours for the average player is pretty massive considering how well done the production values are.

Naeblish

I don't think any game can hold my interest as long as BG2 did. I had 300+ saves and god knows how many hours. If Dragon Age keeps me interested and excited for 70 hours, it will be the best game i played since years.

syllogism

Myr said:
Creating BG2 in 3D with full voice acting would take forever. 40-70 hours for the average player is pretty massive considering how well done the production values are.
But it did take forever

Justinian

I don't know if you guys have seen these but there are a whole bunch of IGN HD videos up on Youtube showing intros to the game itself and various origins.

They all look pretty good and only contain slight spoilers.

Game intro cinematic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q94rdV9M1M4

Human trouble (City elf origin):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5hwznpjtUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVSrlbqRUU

Human origin intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjWU7RVEhAA

Noble battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ljnka2ifo

Throne room battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmM4ZB6V5yo

What struck me is that the dialogue really feels conversational, with the player given 4 real and different options every time as the conversations flow back and forth. There's also some videos showing off the consequences during a quest which has been outlined before.

The combat also looks really solid, with many many enemies onscreen and seemingly lots of potential for tactics, while keeping it all visceral and fairly fast paced.

I also really loved the way Inon Zur's score weaves in and out of scenes. This is some of the best fantasy music I've ever heard.

Gorgon

OK, I'll provide a few comments so that you don't feel I let you hanging there and that your time was wasted :)

A Black Falcon said:
Even so, I really think you need to seriously consider the major points I made on the issues of difficulty and complexity, namely:

-Save anywhere is an absolute good that should be in all RPGs. Better save systems make games better, not easier.
That's fine to me, even though I don't consider it a must. It's a matter of preference. I think a game like Demon's Souls for example (I say DS because I'm now playing it) would loose some of its charm if I could save anywhere for example.

A Black Falcon said:
-On that note, just because a game has infinite continues or save anywhere, you don't need to use them. Have some willpower, it's not forcing you to use it if you don't want to!

Sure, but most people will save anywhere if only to avoid loosing hours of gameplay and going through all of it again. But yes, no one forces you.

A Black Falcon said:
-Difficulty and complexity are different issues that must be considered and debated separately and should not be combined.

I agree, I may not have been completely clear separating both at times while I was writing, but I'm perfectly aware of it. Agreed.

A Black Falcon said:
-On the issue of complexity, game design elements like moral questions, morality meters, branching plots that allow you to be good or evil, and such are elements of depth that should be considered when discussing how complex a game is. The complexity of the battle system is not the only thing that matters. RPGs are, or should be, about more than just combat.

I think that we need to separate a few things here. The moral choices, branching paths, etc do add depth to western RPGs (something that is almost totally missing from JRPGS). However I woudn't exactely call it complex because they are quite simple and juvenile for the most part. Characters don't have anywhere near the depth of movie or book characters, the branching is extremely limited in its game effects and how it affects the game world, the dialogue choices and NPC reactions are for the most part predictable and juvenile. They add a LOT of flavour and "depth" to the game, but I would hardly call it "complex". We could discuss why ad eternum but suffice it to say that to really pull it out in a believable, complex way it would cost multiple times more time and money and it would need to be the equivalent to tens of 60 hour-long games. It's simply not practible. Plus the writting has a long way to go and things don't work in games the way they do in movies or books.

A Black Falcon said:
As I said, PC games cover the full spectrum from very simple to very complex. Console games cover that spectrum as well, but are much more heavily weighted towards the simple side. But I said that in my last post, with a bunch of evidence, so I don't need to repeat myself.

and from aprevious post:

Anyway, if you could beat the BG series without dying much, you must be quite good at them... because they're not easy games. Not incredibly hard or something, but not easy, and by ToB things get quite hard, particularly if you install David Gaider's optional 'harder bosses' mods! The modded dragon bosses are incredibly challenging.

I really don't think anyone died mutch in any of the BG games. One of things that are typical of western RPGs is that you can rarely make a fatal mistake during combat that cannot be, how to say, circumvented/annuled? You may make a lot of mistakes and die but you don't really need to create a big startegy to overcome most anymies or anything like that. It's a pretty much just start the cobat and "see how it goes" and in most cases it goes well.

Mods are not a fair example because consoles don't have mods (with very few exception this gen on the PS3) and mods are not comercial products subject to sales and player demand and everyone can do them the way they want and put them free to download on the net.

One character only, of course it's lacking depth.

I think it's a bit to simplistic to say that a game just because it only has one character is necessarily "lacking in depth". You can make a complex game with one character and a simpel game with many controlable characters. It all depends on how complex and deep is the system and on which aspects of combat you are concentrating on. I understand what you mean, but that is an affirmation that is too simplistic and reductive.

Planescape: Torment, my favorite RPG ever, is an extremely deep and complex game in a lot of ways, but the combat is easy. By your writing here, it wouldn't "count" as complex or something because it's easy.

IT's my favourity RPG ever too! :)
I already apologised if some of my writting apparently wasn't clear when refering to difficulty and complexity. As I said before they are not the same thing, my appologies. Regarding Planescape, I think it's the best writting ever in an RPG BY FAR, but read my comments regarding choices, dialogues, branching etc above.

Another aspect of complexity is something that everyone agrees Western RPGs do better, having moral issues and alternate paths. I don't think I need to explain how JRPGs are usually linear and "you do the right thing" while Western ones now generally let you do different things, have multiple paths, and have some kind of morality systems. It makes them deeper, more interesting games in ways entirely unrelated to combat -- and as saying Torment is my favorite RPG ever shows, I think that there are a lot of ways RPGs can be great without focusing on combat at all! As I said with my complaint about Etrian Odyssey, I think that script and puzzles and such are important. I was really pleasantly surprised to see "dungeon-crawler" Icewind Dale II to have such a solid plot and so many really interesting puzzles, for instance. It is still a dungeon crawler for sure, but a more varied and interesting one.

Totally agree with you mate. I'm not defending jRPGs over WRPGs. Never did. This all began because I felt that many rpg gamers in the west simply misunderstand JRPGs and have a very superficial and juvenile notion of what is and is not available.

But anyway, sure on the whole you are of course right that dungeon crawlers lost popularity in the West. But where you connect that to "hardcore RPG crowd" I have no idea, because by the '90s, the most complex PC RPGs were most certainly not dungeon crawlers! I mean, sure there were Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors, but after Fallout and then Baldur's Gate particularly, that kind of RPG became the leading hardcore RPG style. That is where it remains.

When I made that coment I was thinking about difficulty. And yes, dungeon-crawlers are certainly "hardcore". I think they deserve the term "hardcore" more than the more platable modern RPGs, to be honest. I was not refering to complexity, though. When I made that comment I was in a way also answering (in my head at least) someone else's comment about console games beying "pussified" and talking about "...games for those that are not afraid to die". I still think that there's more "pussificated" games in the west than in Japan (I'm talking about difficulty here), in relative terms. The continuous comercial success of difficult dungeon crawlers in Japan (less nowadays but they nerver stoped beying produced and Wizardry is more alive there than anywhere else) shows it. There's still comercial sucess to be found in Japan with ihnerently difficult RPGs, something that is basically extinct in the West.

You keep mentioning the Megaten magic system as your example of the depth of JRPGs. But as I've said a bunch now, that's one semi-niche series, while most JRPGs have nowhere near that kind of depth... having some examples of ones with some kind of depth (not the kind PC RPGs have but something else) is nice, but it does nothing to disprove the idea that on average JRPGs are simpler than WRPGs. Shin Megami Tensei isn't an average JRPG series and you know it. :)

Far enough. However you also have to take into account that in the West RPGs where always associated with a more hardcore gamer crowd, mostly related to fantasy fans, while in Japan RPGs cover a much wider spectrum and audience, from Pokemon stuff, to RPGs for younger kids, to Gothic Lolitas RPGs, to god-knows-what. Overall it's obvious that the percentage of compex and/or difficult rpgs are lower when you pool together the entire range of the genre there. But in the west the genre was for the most part limited to 95% fantasy games for fantasy RPG fans. It doesn't even cover the same population slice in terms of users. Its a very different reality. The important point is that there is a market there for complexity and difficulty and that market never died out, while here although they the games wehre always directed at a more core crowd they did get "pussified". This is a very interesting part of this discussion, really, and we could spend hours on end discussing this.

I guess it comes from the "Japanese games are different" thing, but that's irrelevant to the point! Japanese game developers make games for Japanese gamers, and Western developers make games for Western developers. Everyone makes games for their home audience. And long, long experience has proved that in the West, console gamers want simpler, easier to play games than computer gamers do.

Ah, ok then. I was speaking essentially for console gamers in general and I though the best example would be the japanese market.

But still I think that the idea that console gamers "want" simpler games is wrong. Last time I checked those simpler RPGs made by Western Devs sold pretty well on PC too so I guess its the market in general that wants them. Console gamers play what they get as everyone else.

Relaxing on the couch or whatever they usually don't want to go through the depth of a PC game... and you can see this with things like how unpopular strategy games, wargames, realistic flight sims, space sims, or mech sims, strategic D&D-style RPGs, and more all are on consoles in the West

Many of those genres aren't unpopular...they simply don't exist so it's a mute point to say that console gamers don't want them. Just go over to the IL2 forums for the console game and look at how many people are bitching that the game was dumbed down for consoles and they didn't want that. The problem is that devs themselves are afraid of putting money because they can't predict the market. They don't necessarily know the market better than you and me, if they did no game would ever bomb...

Also there is an obvious problem with controlers that simply aren't the best thing for some genres. I already stated in another thread that I have my doubts about DA:O on consoles precisely because of that. But saying that DA:O needs to be dumbed down because console players don't want to "go through the depth of a PC game" and they just want "to relax" is, pardon my expression, a pile of bulshit (not directing that at you mate, don't take personaly).

Just to finish this discussion (really mate, no more, I don't have time for this!!!) I'll ansewr this one:
"Choose the wrong spell or your entire party dies" just sounds like unnecessary difficulty more than it does complexity... but I think I covered that already above

No. Let me give you an example from another game, chess. Chess is extremely easy to learn and understand. Any child can play it. However below that apparent simplicity in rules lies a great challenge if you wnat to play seriously. You'll have to think strategically and try to predict every outcome and every move that can come out of the game may turns into the future while you're playing. The megaten games are bit a like this. They feel like chess. It's not unnecessary difficulty, its just that the magic system forces you to analyse you enemies and plan the entire strategy for the battle in which, like chess, you may die because of a wrong move (or spell, or item, or whatever) used at the wrong time in the wrong place with the wronf enemy. This is why those games are so loved by the comunity. There's nothing like that in the western RPGsm in which everything is more straighforward and mistakes are less punitive and (relatively) easily overcome as the battle progresses. I'm obviously simplifying here but you get my gist.

Anyway, thanks for your trouble posting al this, but really, I can't keep up with this, I'm already wasting a lot of time that I need to use elsewhere. If you want just send me your Messenger adress or something so that we can discuss this in real time some other time.

Pew, I'm wasted! :lol

Purkake4 said:

Check out NWN's community due to the robust multiplayer mods.

chico

ok the last few videos and impressions made me preoder this game... looks really great. PC Version of course! In memoriam of Baldurs Gate....

sendu

Neo Member
syllogism said:
I imagine you can keep everyone happy no matter what you do with enough gifts.

No, you can't.

Edit: it also says this on the page you linked: "However, the more gifts you give each party member, the less he or she will be interested in the next gift."

syllogism

sendu said:
No, you can't.

Edit: it also says this on the page you linked: "However, the more gifts you give each party member, the less he or she will be interested in the next gift."
Yes, that would just mean you require more gifts which aren't likely a very limited resource. Deal breakers change all that of course and it's possible the approval boost falls quick.

bigmit3737 said:
Why don't the spells have any dmg listed?

I rechecked the GB video, it seems spells don't have dmg listed.
I hear at least weapons have mouse over tooltips that show the damage so it's possible you can see the spell damage the same way. The damage is based on your magic stat and some other spellpower boosting things stat so I suppose they decided it would be confusing to show it on that menu.

e: the difference between certain non-damaging spells is even harder to gauge though

Top Bottom