• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft at 5.5 million subscribers, will no longer share numbers

Its a complete reboot with a new engine, new story, new classes, new mechanics.
Unless they let you keep your progress that would be pointless. The reason why a lot of people stick with wow is because leaving would cause them to loose their hard work.

Quentyn

Pretty sure they just said on the conference call that this was the last time they will give subscriber numbers.

Tenebrous

Only losing 100k subs in a quarter where no content was released was a good quarter.

It's pretty incredible. Everyone I know predicted a lot worse... But WoW has this core playerbase that'll not abandon it regardless of what happens. I just wonder what that number actually is. Tens, hundreds of thousands? Maybe a million? We'll see what happens when shit really does get bad.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This game was super special for me. Greatest experience bar none.

Magical and wondrous, good lord. I'd do it all over again if I could and regret the time spent at the same time.

It was amazing. closed stress test, open beta and retail. Until 2010 I believe

I don't think any other game will ever have the holding power this thing did over me. Nothing

Renekton

At what point is it OK to note WoW's decline without being ridiculed by a dozen posters?

The game is trending down pretty quickly the last couple years. Yes, the raw subs are still enormous but this all points to the massive decline of an unprecented success of a game.

WoW is dying, but it's dying like only WoW really can. Meaning it will likely still be a profitable if much smaller endeavor 10 years from now.
What is the struggle here? WoW is declining rapidly, everybody knows and acknowledges that.

Just that when we say the current 5.5m sub number is still a juggernaut, it does not mean we are in denial of its decline :)

Kosma

Banned
Unless they let you keep your progress that would be pointless. The reason why a lot of people stick with wow is because leaving would cause them to loose their hard work.

Well they can still play the old WoW then, this would be to attract NEW people.

Maybesew

A friend of mine that still plays said that he has reached free to play status via the gold he makes on the auction house and the new token system they implemented. No offense to him, but he isn't the worlds best wow player, so it makes me wonder how many of the more experienced and skilled wow players that are still playing have also managed to remove the subscription fees just by using their in game resources.

Xis

For all the people claiming Draenor has killed Warcraft, have you actually looked at the numbers?

WoW peaked in subscriptions (12 million) with Wrath of the Lich King.

During Cataclysm, it dropped to 9.1 million (a 24% drop).
During Mists of Pandaria, it dropped to 6.8 million (a 25% drop).
During Warlords of Draenor, it has (so far), dropped to 5.5 million (a 19% drop).

They could lose another 400,000 subscribers and still be on the same path they've been on since Cataclysm.

I fully expect to see at least two more expansions after Legion.

Well they can still play the old WoW then, this would be to attract NEW people.

I can't imagine that's worth the time investment for them... To get the scale of a world, new engine, new story, new class design it would be years of work...All in a hope of getting fresh players into a genre that most people call stagnant?

Good luck ever getting the okay to do that. Pretty sure they've also stated they have no plans to do another MMO.

Tenebrous

What is the struggle here? WoW is declining rapidly, everybody knows and acknowledges that.

Just that when we say the current 5.5m sub number is still a juggernaut, it does not mean we are in denial of its decline :)

WoW was declining rapidly up 'til this point, but losing under 5% of the remaining playerbase in 3 months during which no content was added isn't really what I'd call a quick descent. I expect it to steady out, maybe leak a few players here and there as quarters go by, shoot back up with Legion, and repeat indefinitely with slightly lower peaks and slightly bigger drops each time.

WoW can still have 1m subs in ten years time if they don't move to f2p... That's my guess, anyway.

A friend of mine that still plays said that he has reached free to play status via the gold he makes on the auction house and the new token system they implemented. No offense to him, but he isn't the worlds best wow player, so it makes me wonder how many of the more experienced and skilled wow players that are still playing have also managed to remove the subscription fees just by using their in game resources.

A few of my friends did that, but now the tokens are a lot more expensive and some people can no longer afford to do so. They're 60-65k over here I think... Not sure, I've not bought one since just after they went live.

"I fully expect to see at least two more expansions after Legion."

Very few MMOs actually die, especially successful ones. WoW will more than likely continue to get expansions until the end of time, just like EQ1/2. There will always be a couple hundred thousand people who will play the game.

Robin64

Blizzard Entertainment typically announces World of Warcraft subscriber numbers every three months in its quarterly earnings report, but that's coming to an end. The company has confirmed that this week's announcement of 5.5 million subscribers is the last time the company plans to divulge those numbers.

Instead, Activision Blizzard will use other unspecified "engagement" metrics to talk about the health of WoW.

Interesting, but fair enough.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-will-no-longer-report-world-of-warcraft-s/1100-6431943/

Xis

"I fully expect to see at least two more expansions after Legion."

Very few MMOs actually die, especially successful ones. WoW will more than likely continue to get expansions until the end of time, just like EQ1/2. There will always be a couple hundred thousand people who will play the game.

I just looked it up - I had no idea EQ was still getting paid expansions!
Also, looking around for shut down MMOs, I was surprised to find Dark Age of Camelot is still up and running. Even Asheron's Call II, which I knew for sure was shut down, has since been re-launched.

Blizzard is actually making more money when this happens - someone still paid for those tokens, but they paid $20 instead of the normal $15 monthly fee.

Hari Seldon

I think WoW could easily recover, I mean WoD brought a TON of people back, the problem is the garrison shit was top 10 worst ideas in the history of MMO design. There is a thirst for quality MMOing still, just no one is delivering anymore.

What a legendary game though. I don't think any MMO will ever come close to sniffing it at its peak and that was with a ~15 dollar a month subscription. Even now it still dominates the others more than 10 years after its release. Probably still one of my top ten most played games even if I haven't touched it in over 4 years.

I bought a token last week for ~36k. I make way more than that every week just from doing garrison missions every other day on all of my characters. It takes about 2 hours a week to log in that many times to do the missions and sell the salvage. The game is incredibly easy to do free to play if you have a few 100s.

I haven't really played the game all expac, I've just been hording gold for no reason since the tokens were introduced. Have about 3 million gold now. No reason to ever pay for the game time.

Hari Seldon

I bought a token last week for ~36k. I make way more than that every week just from doing garrison missions every other day on all of my characters. It takes about 2 hours a week to log in that many times to do the missions and sell the salvage. The game is incredibly easy to do free to play if you have a few 100s.

I haven't really played the game all expac, I've just been hording gold for no reason since the tokens were introduced. Have about 3 million gold now. No reason to ever pay for the game time.

How do you make that money just doing garrison missions? What is the secret sauce for that, is there a guide?

How do you make that money just doing garrison missions? What is the secret sauce for that, is there a guide?
Have 9 lvl 100s. All followers have the bonus gold trait. Just spam missions for gold and salvage crates. Vendor/DE/auction salvage in whatever way is the most profitable. There's no secret to it.

I will be back when there are classic servers with gated content releases. Blizzard knows a shit ton of ppl will return then but I think they're saving it for when/if they ever enter panic mode re: subscriber base.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget the Activision Blizzard Investor Day 2015 on Friday at BlizzCon (right before the opening ceremony). I expect them to talk much more about the future of World of Warcraft then.

As for these news, I'm glad the drop wasn't greater. I was actually expecting a number below five million.

I wouldn't have unsubbed if they didn't make it so hard to unlock flying in Draenor.

Flying was my favorite thing to do in WoW.

Hari Seldon

Have 9 lvl 100s. All followers have the bonus gold trait. Just spam missions for gold and salvage crates. Vendor/DE/auction salvage in whatever way is the most profitable. There's no secret to it.

Well fuck that I"m not leveling up 9 people to 100 just to play the game for free, I'll just play something else lol.

Did the last report factor in WoW Tokens? If not it looks like it was a huge success for them in stopping the bleeding.

I hope they have some good stuff to show at BlizzCon for Legion.

How did Blizzard change the flying mechanic with the newer expansions? I remember spending gold to get a faster flying speed, as well as needing to get to a certain level to be able to fly in the newer zones.

In BC, WotLK, and MoP, you buy flying at cap, though both BC and WotLK allowed you to train your non-capped people in flying eventually, making successive runs through the old content less tedious. Cata, of course, offered flying from the start, and was designed around it, IMO, for the better.

WoD, on the other hand, had zero flying until recently, and requires you to finish out a particular achievement which involves getting several factions up to a specific reputation level, along with (IIRC), all the loremaster stuff for each zone, and a few other things. Basically, you have to have already done most things worth doing in the world before they let you fly now.

If WoD had flying the same as previous expansions, I'd likely still be playing it.

Loxley

That's actually pretty good compared to the numbers some of WoWGAF were guessing (3-4 million). Legion will no doubt bring things back up again for a while, especially if they manage to release it around the film next June.

Well fuck that I"m not leveling up 9 people to 100 just to play the game for free, I'll just play something else lol.

You can do it on a single character, but you end up spending the equivalent of a day's work farming the required gold outside of your garrison.

Most people I know who play for 'free' are generally winding down their existing stockpiles of gold (i.e. they capped gold on 10 alts during Wrath) because generally speaking there aren't any gold sinks left for them.

That's actually pretty good compared to the numbers some of WoWGAF were guessing (3-4 million). Legion will no doubt bring things back up again for a while, especially if they manage to release it around the film next June.

I fully Expect Legion to have the same quarter-long spike in subs that WoD had. Everyone's back to see what new, casual-friendly content blizzard is selling at $60, then they'll let the sub lapse and go back to their phones or other console/pc games. An MMO this old isn't creating and keeping a lot of new players anymore.

Hari Seldon

They lost 5 million subs less than a year after WoD.

Crikey.

Time to start working on WoW2 Blizzard... Can't keep recycling this game.

A WoW2 would get 10 million sales in the first month easily. The problem is that I don't think Blizzard has the bandwidth to support developing WoW2 with all the other projects they have going on.

AgeEighty

FFXIV problems go beyond PS3 limitations. Stuff like the poor battle system, limited depth and itemization have nothing to do with the console it runs on.

Sure, it's clear that everyone hates those aspects of XIV and it's really struggling as a result.

Loxley

I don't see why Blizzard would do a "WoW2" when the instant WoW goes F2P w/ micro-transactions it's playerbase and revenue will likely skyrocket.

Plus, direct sequels to MMOs are always a dicey proposition, just ask the Everquest 2 team.

#WoWisdead

Seriously though, I wonder how many subs is their proft margin until they need to start thinking alternatives? Their server infrastructure and personnel costs must be huge.

2 mil subs? 3 mil? When does the bleeding start?

This is a huge reason of why I personally stopped playing the game. And it's not even about the gold part, it's how much of a mobile game the garrisons turned into. It's stupid mindless busywork with slightly more involved systems to click and reset timers on arbitrary resource gains. Also you don't interact with anyone, none of the npcs are more than placeholders, there's no variety in the garrisons either. All that dev time to make something so shitty for an mmo community.

And then there's the rng weekly drop system for pvp that gave everyone around me exactly what they needed 1st or second drop and left me with little usable season gear after months. Yeah, fuck that.

shanafan

In BC, WotLK, and MoP, you buy flying at cap, though both BC and WotLK allowed you to train your non-capped people in flying eventually, making successive runs through the old content less tedious. Cata, of course, offered flying from the start, and was designed around it, IMO, for the better.

WoD, on the other hand, had zero flying until recently, and requires you to finish out a particular achievement which involves getting several factions up to a specific reputation level, along with (IIRC), all the loremaster stuff for each zone, and a few other things. Basically, you have to have already done most things worth doing in the world before they let you fly now.

If WoD had flying the same as previous expansions, I'd likely still be playing it.

So you really couldn't fly in WoD until you accomplish quite a bit of tasks?

Fonds

Mhh I think "Titan" was the unofficial WoW 2 .... but they cancelled it.....

Hmmm no it's been pretty much confirmed that it was Overwatch assets in some sort of MMO form.
Most of the assets have been re-used to make that game from something that was intended as an MMO.

its amazing after 10 years its still one of the biggest mmos, if not THE biggest one.

mmos as a whole genre are almost dead yet wow still lives on

#WoWisdead

Seriously though, I wonder how many subs is their proft margin until they need to start thinking alternatives? Their server infrastructure and personnel costs must be huge.

2 mil subs? 3 mil? When does the bleeding start?

I think if they ever drop to 3 million or less, WoW becomes a F2P with micros game.

Because WoW subs aren't just holding up WoW, they are also funding every other game on Battle.net that doesn't have a more robust micro system.

The Diablos, Warcrafts, Starcrafts, etc... Those 1-time buy games with no subs or micros that they need to keep online.

Hearthstone, Heroes and I presume Overwatch will be mainstays as F2P with micros, so they can carry their own loads.

Legion will bring back the subs for a month or two most likely. WoW expansions don't have the content or staying power they used to have though. And if they keep taking stuff away like Reforging or Flight, then they are just idiots at this point.

Top Bottom