• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

And two years in to the PS2 is not really much different than the PS4 so far.

If you want to count just AAA, sure, for now, but their pipeline looks to have the same risks/variety. Something you are having the nostalgia of the overall 8-10 year library cloud what was the first two years of the PS2.

It is also a new gaming era with Indie style games offer that very same trend the PS2 had for variety, IMO. Which is much better quality per dollar compared to the shovelware that filled in the gaps of consoles in the past.

I agree with this .
It much cheaper to fill out my library .

Bastables

Eh, wasn't there a $100-200 price difference?
I don't think the bundles are a fair comparison.

$500 versus $350.

I presume you've called out this same issue when one console is cheaper than the other? Prior to finding excuses for Halo5 poor showing relative to a remaster?

blakep267

Hate to be that guy who trumpets digital sales, but if the Halo bundle didn't do so great since it was less than the uncharted bundle, and less than a million copies were sold at retail, how are they getting to 400 mill without great digital sales
And by great I'm not saying like a million in digital,

QuikNez

I would honestly be shocked if November was lower than last November. Sony didn't have any of these big third party titles, they only got going around Black Friday and their closest competitor was cheaper.

They have CoD and Battlefront bundles, pre orders for those bundles in previous months, Fallout 4 to help push consoles, $50 price cut, price parity with competition and $299 bundles on Black Friday.

If all this cannot put the PS4 considerably over last November, I would have to join the "consoles are doomed!" squad. At least in US anyway.

Yeah me too, but I was also pretty surprised at last month's numbers, the possibility is certainly there.

Welfare

Hate to be that guy who trumpets digital sales, but if the Halo bundle didn't do so great since it was less than the uncharted bundle, and less than a million copies were sold at retail, how are they getting to 400 mill without great digital sales

Shipped units, could also include REQ being bought.

Halo5 bundle < Uncharted bundle
Amazed.gif

Yeah me too, but I was also pretty surprised at last month's numbers, the possibility is certainly there.
I am convinced it is November cannibalizing sales from last month. I do not think the PS4 was too much lower than last October so I think the extra sales just went to November. While there was a price cut, the only major software for the PS4 was the Uncharted Collection. I think the software powerhouses for this month will get the most out of the price cut.

Raist

Banned
And by great I'm not saying like a million in digital,

For all we know they included any hardware sales.
There's also accessories. Potentially the REQ pack stuff.
And that number was worldwide, not just the US.

Purest 78

Hate to be that guy who trumpets digital sales, but if the Halo bundle didn't dofunnier.i since it was less than the uncharted bundle, and less than a million copies were sold at retail, how are they getting to 400 mill without great digital sales

Likely Adding shipped numbers with the total Revenue. With the numbers we have no way it sold through 400 million. Which actually makes that MS PR spin even funnier.

Tommy DJ

Eh, wasn't there a $100-200 price difference?
I don't think the bundles are a fair comparison.

$500 versus $350.

My comment had less to do with price and more to do with the pretty lackluster performance of Halo.

Regardless of price, a unique Halo 5 bundle lost against a bundle containing a remaster that performed pretty poorly at retail and in a month where the PS4 experienced a pretty hefty YoY drop.

If this was Halo 3, I'd have expected it to smash the shit out of the Uncharted collection, if we consider its performance this NPD, regardless of price.

kswiston

It was a lot cheaper to just pick up a XB1 and Halo 5 separately. Unless you are a super big Halo fan, why pay $500 for the Halo 5 bundle? All of the other 1TB bundles would net you a second recent game and at least $40 in savings.

woodypop

For all we know they included any hardware sales.
There's also accessories. Potentially the REQ pack stuff.
And that number was worldwide, not just the US.
Good point: considering Halo 5 is an Xbox One exclusive...

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.
couldn't sales of any Xbox One be considered "Halo 5 hardware"?

VinFTW

No wonder the uc bundle sold more...

I have NO CLUE what MS was thinking when they made the only halo bundle a $500 one.

Do they realize how big a 399 or 349 halo 5 bundle would have been?

Mory Dunz

AC: PS4 ~ 57%
Toraif&#333;su ~ 83k
robo ~ 35k
wooly ~ 165k
transformers ~ 38k

Triforce Heros (forgot tis even came out)
Chibi Robo
Yoshi Woolly world
trans...yeah

Not bad for Yoshi I guess.
Not sure how to assess triforce hero's sales to be honest

Edit;
It's almost kind of nice to wait until the tread almost dies to start posting numbers

Shenmue

Banned
Damn Disgaea 5 sold almost as much as DQH?!?!?!

Thank goodness for the incoming PC port. Also justifies why they didn't port to Xbox One. If it only sold that for PS4, it probably would have done like 2k on Xbox.

Sterok

AC: PS4 ~ 57%
Toraif&#333;su ~ 83k
robo ~ 35k
wooly ~ 165k
transformers ~ 38k

At least Yoshi did good for what it was. Zelda flopped, but it was cheap so I doubt Nintendo cares. Time to say goodbye to Chibi-Robo. Ouch at Transformers. I know Platinum games don't sell, but it was a well received Transformers game. Surely it could do better than this.

Considering it was much cheaper to buy a normal Xbox One and a copy of Halo 5 over the overpriced Halo 5 bundle, I don't know why people are that surprised.
I mean, this is Halo we are talking about. Price shouldn't have been an issue. Of course, this is speaking in hindsight though. We now know the brand isn't as strong anymore. Even than, it is still notable that a declined Halo is outdone by a remaster of Uncharted.

Considering it was much cheaper to buy a normal Xbox One and a copy of Halo 5 over the overpriced Halo 5 bundle, I don't know why people are that surprised.
It was a special console with the newest installment to Microsoft's biggest franchise vs a remaster bundle. No matter the price and no matter how much i personally put uncharted over halo i would never expect uncharted anything to outsell halo. Now im thinking uncharted 4 might outsell halo 5

Elandyll

Banned
If there was still any doubt about Georges' data, the numbers align perfectly with Cream's pie.

Epic October NPD thread indeed (hope he comes back -along with Cream- in December)

Abdiel

toz ~ 58k
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

jd2016 ~ 38k, Wii ~ 39%

Sigh, yep.

That looks about right.

I picked up Tales and Dragon Quest.

Very low numbers for both, but I feel like DQH was also having to prove itself as an unknown quantity, too.

Taking the DQ brand and applying it to the formula with the omega force gameplay was a totally new thing. I had fun with it, more than I expected, honestly. I'm sure we'll get the second one, and hopefuly it'll do somewhat better.

Part of it is, is I also don't think there was much at all in the way of marketing. I knew about it because I'm an enthusiast. But they didn't even have my copy for pickup in store, it still had to be shipped to me, so I don't think Square had high expectations for the US in the first place. We didn't get swamped with a ton of copies or anything.

SE probably had realist expectations, guys... it just looks really rough all the same.

Seems good for Yoshi. It should be interesting to see how it sells over the holidays.

Oh and time to unplug the tiny robot I guess. It looks bland and cheaply made, so not a huge loss.

Top Bottom