• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Elandyll

Banned
Sony. Marketing deals are hard contracts

Actually EA would own the rights to Battlefront in that case, so if they sold the rights of exclusive Marketing to Sony, they would have to act to protect their agreement, otherwise Sony could go after EA for breach of contract for allowing someone else to use their property (afaik).

FranXico

Actually EA would own the rights to Battlefront in that case, so if they sold the rights of exclusive Marketing to Sony, they would have to act to protect their agreement, otherwise Sony could go after EA for breach of contract for allowing someone else to use their property (afaik).

Sony probably hesitates in doing so, under risk of losing future deals with EA.

Sterok

Btw what are the expectations on Youkai Watch sales in the US next month?

Based on the fact that it's getting a fair amount of marketing, is a kids game during a holiday with little competition other than Disney Infinity and old games, is similar to Pokemon, and my own gut that means absolutely nothing, I'm going to aim high and say 300K. That would be a great debut for a new 3DS IP.

Yes? How is that disputable?

It's disputable in a bunch of different ways. Specifically, I'd like to know 1) if kids these days are less likely to own/play consoles than in the past and 2) what past we're comparing the present to.

It doesn't follow from the fact that kids these days play mobile games that they're less likely to play console games. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Mory Dunz

I can't see Tennis getting there. Would be fantastic to see Splatoon make it. It's $25 at Walmart and $35 at Best Buy, so you never know. Pokemon always charts in November with a release, but other than that since Nintendo doesn't discount a whole bunch it's tough for those games to hit the top 10. Maybe!

Do you have any inkling of Splatoon's LTD?

I know you don't give out numbers though

SpotAnime

Btw what are the expectations on Youkai Watch sales in the US next month?

I'd say whatever Fantasy Life did + 50k. It hit surprisingly quiet. Using my children as a barometer, of which they and their friends are HUGE Pokemon fans, there's little interest of, or even awareness about, Yo-kai Watch. And that's having a Disney XD series.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'd say whatever Fantasy Life did + 50k. It hit surprisingly quiet. Using my children as a barometer, of which they and their friends are HUGE Pokemon fans, there's little interest of, or even awareness about, Yo-kai Watch. And that's having a Disney XD series.

It might benefit from the 2DS bundle for what it's worth. If I'm not mistaken, it's the default 2DS bundle right?

Edit: Seems like the console war on here has died down a bit? Cool. Now time for more puns starring a squid/kid and a cheese astronaut.

RexNovis

Banned
With Tomb Raider and DQ getting their own threads for bad sales, I'm surprised no one made one for AC or Halo.

I would have but its not allowed since the numbers are from insiders. I definitely think they deserve a thread though. Just can't make one unless we get an official source of some sort which isnt likely to happen at this point.

Bishop89

There is no futility to marketing deals .
Destiny move a lot of consoles for Sony , they work which is why companies do them .
Even more so when they do LE consoles .
Exactly, even look on forums and general public. I'm sure there are thousands of people who thought / think battlefront and destiny are exclusive to playstation.

It's naive to think marketing doesn't work

RexNovis

Banned
What are yall's predictions for retail sales of Black Ops 3, Battlefront and Fallout 4 this month? Im fairly confident with my software ranking prediction but I'm uncertain about the actual sales.

donny2112

Thanks, creamsugar! You always rock!

On Dragon Quest, I am so hyped for DQVII and DQVIII next year on 3DS. I know I'm in the extreme minority of the general public (e.g. DQH), but I'm still so looking forward to them! Really hope DQXI makes it to the West on 3DS, too!

Lastly, anyone want to give a bone for 3DS? 120K-130K range work? Too high?

Thanks all for a fun to read NPD thread! The results definitely haven't lived up to anyone's hopes, but that's somehow led to better discussion, I think. Nice stuff!

Shenmue

Banned
SO many people at my local Best Buy for SW. Also a load of people getting that ugly vader ps4 bundle. I can already see the exhausted Abdiel post. Poor Abdiel.

Somnia

Just got back from working the late night launch for Battlefront.

Nothing too major as its really cold here and raining so a disappointing crowd. I don't work again till Friday night so we'll see how it does.

Sold 36 copies, 23 for PS4, 12 for XB1 and 1 for PC. Sold 4 of the Darth Vader PS4's (3 reserved and 1 walk in).

Boke1879

What are yall's predictions for retail sales of Black Ops 3, Battlefront and Fallout 4 this month? Im fairly confident with my software ranking prediction but I'm uncertain about the actual sales.

BO3-5million
Fallout-4.5 million
BF-3 million.

SO many people at my local Best Buy for SW. Also a load of people getting that ugly vader ps4 bundle. I can already see the exhausted Abdiel post. Poor Abdiel.

Hey I bought one of those Vader LE's. Looks really good too. Saw a bunch of people picking up the console as well.

Hopefully Abdiel makes a stop by here sometime tomorrow.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't understand why people in here are already projecting a PS4 mega victory for November. The 350 price point didn't do jack shit nothing, are people counting on a single day at $300 price point to carry the sales?

Amazon sales rankings for October was close... but so far PS4 has a very healthy lead in November [and additionally, sales of Battlefront bundle were very strong in Sept and Oct].

All who expect Sony victory in November have "hard data" to back them up. Sure, we cannot know what will BF bring, but this year PS4 and Xbone are selling without any price difference.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, the midnight launch I worked went pretty well. A good number of people showed up. A not-unsubstantial number of them seemed rather aware that Battlefront doesn't have the best reception right now, and I had a nice conversation with someone about what that might mean going forward.

RexNovis

Banned
Well, the midnight launch I worked went pretty well. A good number of people showed up. A not-unsubstantial number of them seemed rather aware that Battlefront doesn't have the best reception right now, and I had a nice conversation with someone about what that might mean going forward.

Do you think it will affect sales? I get the impression the masses who adore Star Wars won't care about reviews in the slightest. But I certainly could be wrong about that.

This obviously isn't gonna hold and Amazon software isn't all that reliable when comparing different games, but lol at Fire Emblem Fates special edition>Xbox One Tomb Raider in the monthly for now.

(also Twilight Princess HD>Halo 5, haha)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Do you think it will affect sales? I get the impression the masses who adore Star Wars won't care about reviews in the slightest. But I certainly could be wrong about that.

I think there's some truth to that perception, but I feel like it's a bit of a blanket statement that doesn't address the fact that plenty of Star Wars diehards are big on video games, too, and as gamers, a decent number of them are aware that some games are great, some games are terrible, and plenty of others are merely okay. Armed with a basic but highly relevant sort of industry knowledge, and firsthand experience with more games than just the Star Wars variety, there are doubtless some diehards who will hold off until Battlefront is cheaper.

Enough to make a real dent? That's the question, of course, but from my time chatting with folks who were picking up the game, I think it at least bears mentioning that a fraction of the masses are in-the-know about this stuff. The people I spoke with chose to grab the game anyway, obviously, but I'm sure some of the no-shows were reconsidering.

Besides, the decades-long Star Wars diehards who are keen on games are quite aware that LucasArts delivered a very varied level of quality with its projects, haha.

I don't know. It's late, I'm tired, and it's an interesting question. I'm most intrigued to see how it all plays out.

Shenmue

Banned
BO3-5million
Fallout-4.5 million
BF-3 million.

Hey I bought one of those Vader LE's. Looks really good too. Saw a bunch of people picking up the console as well.

Hopefully Abdiel makes a stop by here sometime tomorrow.

I'm sorry I'm just not really into the design, but I can understand why other people would. Congrats on the new console!

It was pretty nuts in line at Best Buy. Was about 8 or 10 to 1 ps4 to xb1. They also had more Thanh 10 bundles on the floor that were preordered. Couple people asked for the sw xbox bundle and were disappointed.

Wait I hadn't heart that number before. Where did you hear about that?
(Maybe dividing the sell-in money by unit cost?)

I think it read it from some supposed Microsoft link.

you got fooled by microsofts PR on halo, i'm guessing your 6.6 came from the touted $400million revenue for halo which included hardware and accessories, and probably halo figures :p

Yeah, lol. I knew there was something going on.

RexNovis

Banned
I think there's some truth to that perception, but I feel like it's a bit of a blanket statement that doesn't address the fact that plenty of Star Wars diehards are big on video games, too, and as gamers, a decent number of them are aware that some games are great, some games are terrible, and plenty of others are merely okay. Armed with a basic but highly relevant sort of industry knowledge, and firsthand experience with more games than just the Star Wars variety, there are doubtless some diehards who will hold off until Battlefront is cheaper.

Enough to make a real dent? That's the question, of course, but from my time chatting with folks who were picking up the game, I think it at least bears mentioning that a fraction of the masses are in-the-know about this stuff. The people I spoke with chose to grab the game anyway, obviously, but I'm sure some of the no-shows were reconsidering.

Besides, the decades-long Star Wars diehards who are keen on games are quite aware that LucasArts delivered a very varied level of quality with its projects, haha.

I don't know. It's late, I'm tired, and it's an interesting question. I'm most intrigued to see how it all plays out.

Yea. I agree. The real question is how significant is that portion of gamers who know about and care about those reviews. It just seems to me that Star Wars as a brand would have far more pull with the non enthusiast crowd and as such reviews may have a much smaller impact than seen in the past. Inevitably time will tell.

The other thing I've been wondering about is what sort of split to expect between PS4 and XB1 and whether or not it will be enough to give PS4 the nod in the software rankings despite the skew from the SW bundles.

Honestly there's a lot to watch this month. will Halo see enough sales to rank? Will the Black Ops timed deal switch platform preference for the series? Will Fallouts marketing/past affiliation with the Xbox brand make it the lead version in sales? How enough new next gen owners will pick up Destiny with their purchase that it will break the top 5? Will the WiiU receive a meaningful boost of some sort? Will AC Syndicate receive any sort of sales bump over its incredibly poor debut performance? Just how poorly does Tomb Raider stand to sell? So many different questions that could go either way. It makes this the most exciting month in a long while IMHO.

70% of 50$ = 35$ with a free game (digital)
50% of 60$ = 30$ (retail)

Where do you get the 50% for retail from?
This would be fabulous.
You have to keep in mind what it costs on top. Digital only means sending out a key.
Retail means you have to produce actual boxes, ship them, have handling fees and others all along the distribution chain. And not to forget, you have overproduction and returns, so stuff you produced for nothing. And this can be a lot.
If you get 30% as publisher in the end you can be lucky.

Well the bundle includes those other Star Wars games and there is a massive gulf of 900p vs 720p on XB1. I expect the SW Bundles to sell by the truckload and when you consider that all XB1 purchases will get 1 free game (most of which will likely be BF) that will count towards the NPD ranking thanks to being a "soft bundle" it is easy to see how XB1 could come out on top in the software ranking but be absolutely demolished by the onslaught of SW Bundles that PS4 has sold.

But hey I could be wrong on both accounts.

Ah, the soft bundles. You are totally right. Microsoft will look good on paper concerning Battlefront and not earn a penny from this game. Even worse: It's not their game, so they have to pay EA for these in the end. Nevertheless, it will motivate people to buy an Xbox, so that's something like marketing costs.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
Here are your games that gained most owners from US in October on Steam. Hope it's useful :)

OhsYs9C.png

Code:
#	Game	New owners from US	Suggested price	Max discount
1	 Undertale	119,116	$9.99 	0% ($9.99)
2	 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive	103,033	$14.99 	0% ($14.99)
3	 Fallout: New Vegas	69,845	$9.99 	66% ($3.39)
4	 Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide	64,338	$29.99 	10% ($26.99)
5	 ARK: Survival Evolved	58,668	$29.99 	33% ($20.09)
6	 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim	52,911	$19.99 	66% ($6.79)
7	 Sir, You Are Being Hunted	49,545	$19.99 	90% ($1.99)
8	 Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition	49,265	$19.99 	50% ($9.99)
9	 The Walking Dead	47,151	$24.99 	75% ($6.24)
10	 Rocket League	44,239	$19.99 	0% ($19.99)
11	 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes	44,234	$14.99 	10% ($13.49)
12	 PAYDAY 2	44,193	$19.99 	75% ($4.99)
13	 Age of Empires II: HD Edition	39,549	$19.99 	0% ($19.99)
14	 Arma 2	37,359	$12.99 	80% ($7.99)
15	 Don't Starve Together 	34,518	$14.99 	0% ($14.99)
16	 Rust	34,157	$19.99 	0% ($19.99)
17	 Rebel Galaxy	32,490	$19.99 	10% ($17.99)
18	 South Park: The Stick of Truth	32,361	$29.99 	75% ($7.49)
19	 Torchlight II	32,306	$19.99 	0% ($19.99)
20	 The Binding of Isaac	32,265	$4.99 	90% ($0.49)

Elandyll

Banned
Ah, the soft bundles. You are totally right. Microsoft will look good on paper concerning Battlefront and not earn a penny from this game. Even worse: It's not their game, so they have to pay EA for these in the end. Nevertheless, it will motivate people to buy an Xbox, so that's something like marketing costs.
I think it's even worse and costly, in the sense that MS has to cover the entire cost per copy, or $59.99. That makes it a very costly endeavor, considering that the XB1 still isn't profitable (as per Phil Spencer).

I think it's even worse and costly, in the sense that MS has to cover the entire cost per copy, or $59.99. That makes it a very costly endeavor, considering that the XB1 still isn't profitable (as per Phil Spencer).
The get their own share as usual. So the put it from one pocket into the other. Still, there is the rest to eat for them.
But as publisher they also have to cover for handling, shipments etc. so there are always costs on top.

QaaQer

Btw what's a "Nintendo game"? I hear they make games in more than 1 genre nowadays

That is actually a good question. It would make a good thread.

I'm no expert having only played a 1/2 dozen Nintendo first party wiiu games and maybe 5 1st party 3ds games. Their 1st party games have a unified aesthetic: big eyes, offputtingly cute, and cartoony. Gameplay is polished, and designed not to frustrate or offended, eschewing complexity, and casting a wide net. The characters are vacuous, with their personalities boiled down to a simple one dimensional core; and as such, there is no emotional resonance or connection. In short, they are purveyors of fine confectionery, which is great if you like candy. I'm more of a sour umami bitterman.

Sandfox

That is actually a good question. It would make a good thread.

I'm no expert having only played a 1/2 dozen Nintendo first party wiiu games and maybe 5 1st party 3ds games. Their 1st party games have a unified aesthetic: big eyes, offputtingly cute, and cartoony. Gameplay is polished, and designed not to frustrate or offended, eschewing complexity, and casting a wide net. The characters are vacuous, with their personalities boiled down to a simple one dimensional core; and as such, there is no emotional resonance or connection. In short, they are purveyors of fine confectionery, which is great if you like candy. I'm more of a sour umami bitterman.
I wouldn't really say anything their characters have a unified aesthetic.

Top Bottom