• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

pGQd39O.png

Train now departing!

You felt excitement as the train moved out of Dayone Station. Excitement, anxiety, and slight itchiness at the back of your tongue. You glanced around the car at the other passengers, these were people you knew well. You had worked with them on countless jobs previously, they had been both your allies and rivals, at different occasions. You were even thinking that a few of them were sort of likeable.

As you weighed them up in your mind, the caution returned to the forefront of your thoughts. Some of them were now out to kill you.

Idly, you went through the motions of storing your bags away and smiling when someone else smiled at you, even as you considered inwardly which of these people were to be trusted, and which should be treated as… enemies.

Finally, you decided to sit down and contemplate your opening post for the day. You saw The Client seated across the aisle, busy texting: “I can’t do reads right now. On a train. Please don’t turbo.” You made a disgusted face and turned to face the other way around.

Day 1 begins

qLrB7f8.gif

Tunnel is approaching in:
gra_1450648800.png

Current share per person: One Billion Internet Dollars.

8 to achieve majority.
 

FluxWaveZ

The first thing I want to say is that I don't think we should ignore the prospect of a policy lynch for this game. Without any investigation roles, it Traitors can easily lie low and avoid any particular scrutiny, while others can easily distract us with nonsense and anti-Crew behavior.

When all we have are reads amd instinct, I will treat any kind of behavior like that as a scum-tell. It's a bit distracting in games like power roles, but the effect that stuff has against Town would be amplified in a game where we're all navigating in the dark.

redhood56

Banned
Welcome everyone! Now before you think anything crazy... I'm innocent. Actually I'm glad I'm not bad because of the shorter times for night periods.

Mazre

The first thing I want to say is that I don't think we should ignore the prospect of a policy lynch for this game. Without any investigation roles, it Traitors can easily lie low and avoid any particular scrutiny, while others can easily distract us with nonsense and anti-Crew behavior.

When all we have are reads amd instinct, I will treat any kind of behavior like that as a scum-tell. It's a bit distracting in games like power roles, but the effect that stuff has against Town would be amplified in a game where we're all navigating in the dark.

I agree with this sentiment.

Also

Vote: FluxWaveZ

I feel like this lynch will be one of the toughest. Day 1 lynches are already tough, but everyone in this game is a veteran as far as I know. I doubt we'll have anyone just coasting.

Burbeting

Banned
And so the train departs.

Hi, my name is Burbeting, and I'm sitting on this train with 14 others.

*Others shout: "Hello Burbeting!"

---

So, what do we know about this setup? It's 15 players, no town PR, and no scum PR. No one has any idea how many scums are out there, but I'm going to guess 3, 4 at worst case scenario. This means we will have some time to play before entering LYLO, but let's make it so we never have to enter such an situation, alright?

First things first: Since there is no PR's, that means the town is completely blind, while scum knows everything. That means scum knows everyones roles from the start, while the town does not know anyone's role for sure, except for theirs. This means, that we should always stay vigilant, and not trust blindly anyone. If you trust someone 100% based completely on your gut feeling... things could end up badly.

Important stuff: Since there is no PR, the posts we post here is EVERYTHING we got. We will never obtain any sort of extra information during the nights, there is no investigators to help us. Writing and posting is everything we have, and the reads we make on people based on those.

So then, I will look at all inactive players with very, very heavy caution. In a game like this, scum could very, very easily be very inactive, and just not post at all, as there are no town PR's to catch them. So I'm asking for everyone to be at least reasonably active. Easy, eh?

squidyj

I just want to state for the record that I did not shout "hello burbeting" and I don't know who did.
That said. lets murder the fuck out of Cabot, that fucker has it coming.

Vote: Cabot

Ty4on

I wanted to go out guns blazing and attacking the first post, but I agree.

I've been far too scared of hitting a townie in other games, but in this one especially it's inevitable.
Hmph.

Vote: FluxWaveZ
This is also behavior I can get behind!

Vote: Ty4on

Mazre

So, what do we know about this setup? It's 15 players, no town PR, and no scum PR. No one has any idea how many scums are out there, but I'm going to guess 3, 4 at worst case scenario. This means we will have some time to play before entering LYLO, but let's make it so we never have to enter such an situation, alright?

Just so there's no ambiguity, 3 mafia puts us at lylo day 5 (assuming we lynch no mafia before then), and 4 mafia moves that to day 4. Once we enter lylo in this game we will be at lylo for the remainder.

squidyj

I wanted to go out guns blazing and attacking the first post, but I agree.

I've been far too scared of hitting a townie in other games, but in this one especially it's inevitable.

This is also behavior I can get behind!

Vote: Ty4on

so you're not the first to do this but what do you think it does for further discussion to vote for yourself? how do you expect this action to be interpreted and do you think it could muddy waters later in the day phase or in later days?

Burbeting

Banned
VOTE: Karu

Are you trustworthy? Let's hear you.

(Karu was one of the low-posters in the last game he played. I want to especially hear him enter the game, and see him post from the start.)

redhood56

Banned
With the game underway I am reminded of the wise words of Dwight Shrute
" it's not the person you most expect, or least expect. It's the one you middle expect"
Which I think is true especially for this first vote since this vote can turn into a dogpile situation. And I expect the hurts(mafia) to be fairly active since we are mostly veterans here they know that being inactive makes them super suspicious.

Burbeting

Banned
Just so there's no ambiguity, 3 mafia puts us at lylo day 5 (assuming we lynch no mafia before then), and 4 mafia moves that to day 4. Once we enter lylo in this game we will be at lylo for the remainder.

Seems to be the case.

D1 - 15
D2 - 13
D3 - 11
D4 - 9
D5 - 7
D6 - 5
D7 - 3

Ty4on

First things first: Since there is no PR's, that means the town is completely blind, while scum knows everything. That means scum knows everyones roles from the start, while the town does not know anyone's role for sure, except for theirs. This means, that we should always stay vigilant, and not trust blindly anyone. If you trust someone 100% based completely on your gut feeling... things could end up badly.
Eh. With only scum having access to extra information this should make them stick out more. In games with PR townies with PRs can stick out because they're trying to hide stuff and stay alive.
so you're not the first to do this but what do you think it does for further discussion to vote for yourself? how do you expect this action to be interpreted and do you think it could muddy waters later in the day phase or in later days?
I just really wanted to do it.

If I were to rationalize it; in a "normal" game with power roles you get extra info from them and how people respond to them. I wanted to accelerate the conversation.

redhood56, Mazre, squidyj, Karu, and Kawl_USC are all new faces to me. Ouro technically is too. I don't believe I ever played in the same game as him.

cabot

Self voting dumb dumbs are being noted.

I'm writing it in my notepad entitled 'Idiot Dumb Dumbs'

It's a list containing most of the Woof 2 Town.

Karu

Day 1 lynches are already tough, but everyone in this game is a veteran as far as I know.
Haha

First things first
What do you mean with policy lynch?

Fake edit: Okay Google answered my question. Sure.

VOTE: Kawl_USC
I don't know you, never met or spoken to you. The silent one someone brought in on the last second. You ain't fooling me, sir!

And...

what's lylo? I get it from context, but still, just to be clear ;-)

Eh. With only scum having access to extra information this should make them stick out more. In games with PR townies with PRs can stick out because they're trying to hide stuff and stay alive.

Another issue though is that scum will also have access to less information due to there being less information. Without power roles to hide, or failed kills for whatever reason, the only extra thing that they'll really know is their team-mates, which leaves less room for slip-ups to happen.

squidyj

man you don't have a list of reads, don't make shit up.
what you have is a list of "fake shit I can use because I'm scum"

squidyj

lylo is lynch or lose, it's a situation where town needs to lynch scum or they will lose the game

mylo is mislynch and lose, it's a situation where if town lynches a townmember then town will lose, but is distinguished from lylo in that they can sleep and not lose the game.

cabot

I just want to state for the record that I did not shout "hello burbeting" and I don't know who did.
That said. lets murder the fuck out of Cabot, that fucker has it coming.

Vote: Cabot

Yeah, I'm a real fucking piece of work.

I feel like this lynch will be one of the toughest. Day 1 lynches are already tough, but everyone in this game is a veteran as far as I know. I doubt we'll have anyone just coasting.

If by "veteran" you mean "played at least one other game", then yes. But Karu and I believe some others only started with S4. It's going to be interesting.

Also I'm slightly amused that the new hot thing to do apparently is self voting instead of RNGing your vote. These rituals get sillier and sillier.

Fake edit: Holy moly, we have high activity in here! When I wake up tomorrow I guess there'll be 4 new pages...

Burbeting

Banned

It's something that needs to kept in mind. Partly because it makes Scum stick out bit more, but also because this extra information will affect on their voting patterns and posting behaviour, especially in a game like this. The scums might not notice this themselves, but it will be surely there.
However, it also means that trusting anyone 100% is dangerous. The Scum will try their best to get to the good books of town, and just trusting them outright could spell the town's doom.

And yes, self-voting is dumb.

I believe I misunderstood a bit of the game's premise. This is a zero town PR game? I thought it was simply vanilla in that only the holy duo (doctor, cop) would be present as town PR.

Kawl_USC

Okay cool. Let's get this started. I don't have any plans for the next few days beyond a company Christmas dinner tomorrow evening. Any one who hasn't said yet have a significant amount of time they will be preoccupied and not able to participate during this first day phase?

So we have a few people already posting thoughts on where scum will fall in terms of post count. Some suggesting policy lynches for low activity and others saying that scum will almost certainly not try to skate by based on the experienced player base.

Personally I think I have a bigger blind spot to low activity posters as I tend to have those I've engaged with and found suspicious higher in mind than those I haven't really engaged with at all. With no power roles to shore up that weakness, I am going to take a bigger stance on trying to make sure all are posting.

With that in mind, as far as I know Splinter hadn't posted since and start when I began writing this post so:

Splinter

What are some of your thoughts regarding the chances of scum skating by on low activity?

Ty4on

Self voting is the new meta. Sadly like RNG votes it seems to be doing nothing at all...
Another issue though is that scum will also have access to less information due to there being less information. Without power roles to hide, or failed kills for whatever reason, the only extra thing that they'll really know is their team-mates, which leaves less room for slip-ups to happen.
That's true.

What I was thinking was that making good reads when you have the cheat sheet in front of you is much harder. There's also no need to worry about pushing a townie into claiming.

cabot

Self voting is the new meta. Sadly like RNG votes it seems to be doing nothing at all...

What did you expect it to do 15 minutes into the game start of D1?

Maybe it's a hidden ability.

VOTE: Cabot

BUT IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

Nope. Next

AFAIK there are no PRs at all. Hence the 1 on the crab scale.

Right, it was a 1 on the Crab scale.

I always thought the basic bare bones mafia game was:

Scum - no PR. Single night kill. If they have a PR it will be Godfather.

Town - two PR. Doctor and investigator.

Granted when I first learned mafia it was over IRC and that game also included a single serial killer by default.

Not that I'm upset by the game being even more barebones than that. It is interesting for sure.

redhood56

Banned
While RNG votes aren't great and almost always bad, theres a chance of hitting a mafia. If you are inno, why self vote? That is dumb because that would be a vote against the town.

So we have a few people already posting thoughts on where scum will fall in terms of post count. Some suggesting policy lynches for low activity and others saying that scum will almost certainly not try to skate by based on the experienced player base.

Personally I think I have a bigger blind spot to low activity posters as I tend to have those I've engaged with and found suspicious higher in mind than those I haven't really engaged with at all. With no power roles to shore up that weakness, I am going to take a bigger stance on trying to make sure all are posting.

The really dangerous ones are the one that post much and say nothing. Everyone is like "Oh hey, that dude contributed" despite that person not doing anything meaningful at all. I don't think I remember a particular case where an outstanding low activity poster indeed was Scum. They mostly just get policy lynched because rather loose deadweight than doing a mislynch.

Everyone post your SAT/ACT scores. Person who scored the lowest will be deemed the least intelligent and will be lynched since they will be the least helpful to town.

FluxWaveZ

While RNG votes aren't great and almost always bad, theres a chance of hitting a mafia. If you are inno, why self vote? That is dumb because that would be a vote against the town.

See, I did it before it was cool. I wanted a mini bandwagon to form on me so we could get something out of it, but now it's all just a mess.

cabot

The reason I went for Mazre initially aside from the incredible usage of Arnie, was because out of the list, he seemed to me most likely to be the least active. In a game of reads and vote behaviour only, activity is paramount. A handsome bear once told me this in a fever dream.

I shall now move to Ouro who hasn't said anything yet.

I want to know why squidy wants to vote me twice.

Top Bottom