• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deft Beck

I think that the Fine Bros. are overstepping their bounds. They tried to backtrack and save face, but the damage has been done.

I honestly think the internet is overreacting. This is such a new space and the laws aren't nearly up to date for the required standard so they have to basically do a blanket trademark/copyright to protect their stuff against blatant infringement. Only time will tell how they use their power in taking down other videos but I say give them the benefit of the doubt for the short-term future.

Ban Puncher

If you want to watch it burn in real time, check out http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros/realtime

X3lvD.gif

bengraven

I'm still subbing. I like their content.

The second they actually take down a video that they feel infringes but doesn't, then I'm out.

neshcom

Banned
I honestly think the internet is overreacting. This is such a new space and the laws aren't nearly up to date for the required standard so they have to basically do a blanket trademark/copyright to protect their stuff against blatant infringement. Only time will tell how they use their power in taking down other videos but I say give them the benefit of the doubt for the short-term future.
They've already abused the YouTube system. Who are they actually protecting their marks from? If they truly were concerned about copyright infringement, they don't need trademarks to do it and they certainly shouldn't have destroyed completely innocent channels.

Chucker

I think that the Fine Bros. are overstepping their bounds. They tried to backtrack and save face, but the damage has been done.

The fact that the one guy raises his voice in the "Please Understand" video is evidence enough that they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Gandie

"Their stuff" is not something that should be trademarkable. Incredibly ironic to be this aggressive about content being "stolen". The whole react-series is based on taking other videos and exploiting them for views.

hohoXD123

But we don't need to wait to see if they will overstep their boundaries. They have already shown that they consider the Ellen video to be infringement. They're not just trademarking their shitty logos or even the insanely creative names of their series, but the format they use which is very broad. If they had not used the youtube copyright system to bury a series of videos which they subsequently stole, and if they hadn't set their youtube fans loose to spam facebook pages of videos which are blatantly not infringing on them, maybe people would be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. As it stands however, fuck'em.

Bangbros fuck people less than these guys.

Lol

Ironically, the Guy on the Left looks like this...

oTyINTw.jpg

with that said, it seems as if "sw yoon" (the guy's channel behind korean girls react") has dropped the word "React" in alot of videos and instead its korean girls doing something, such as korena girls taste this or korean girls do this, etc

N.Domixis

Banned
At the rate they are falling it would take 32.407 days to reach 0. but some will remain from
bot accounts, inactive accounts, acounts whos owners have died and stubborn people.

Hopefully they lose a million subscribers over this. Its scary seeing all the comments with people confused why everyones mad, i can only hope they are young children who dont understand the world. Its great seeing everyone in the comments sharing that reddit post explaining the situation to them though

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, as some grumpy old man who's reaction to this was "What's a reaction video? Oh my god, this is popular? Why is this popular?" can somebody explain to me what "assets" they are talking about? Their...teens? Seems to me all you need is a camera and some people, not really sure what I would have to......"licence" from them.

Like the Burger King comparison boggles my mind, I don't understand what they give me? Some old folks?

So, as some grumpy old man who's reaction to this was "What's a reaction video? Oh my god, this is popular? Why is this popular?" can somebody explain to me what "assets" they are talking about? Their...teens? Seems to me all you need is a camera and some people, not really sure what I would have to......"licence" from them.

Like the Burger King comparison boggles my mind, I don't understand what they give me? Some old folks?
I think it's logos, animated intro templates, music, etc. Not to say that this is something substantial, but just clarifying what they're likely referring to.

I really hope this doesn't kill off one of my favorite video series on YouTube called "YouTube Reacts". The title is similar, but the actual video content is pretty different. The videos don't have people reacting to stuff on camera, but instead have people mockingly reading the most terrible and horribly misspelled comments on popular or controversial YouTube videos. I would be so sad if they tried to take them down because they are way more entertaining than The Fine Bros stuff!

Here is an example, one of my favorites: YouTube Reacts to Cosmos

and the whole playlist of all of them is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE3324F1A53CA85E

Oh man, I love the Youtube Reacts series! Hope FineBros leaves it the fuck alone.

Darryl

Banned
i bet they saw those numbers on the "koreans react to" videos and got scared. they can't expand fast enough so they're attempting to turn their youtube series into a franchise. the greatest asset they have to offer franchisees is the absence of legal threats. which is fucked up

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
While they're bleeding subscribers, it just seems it's not fast enough. I mean, they have 14M subs! This is probably just a notch for them. (Or how many did they have before this thing happened?)

While they're bleeding subscribers, it just seems it's not fast enough. I mean, they have 14M subs! This is probably just a notch for them. (Or how many did they have before this thing happened?)
Top, January 27: 14,080,108
Right now: 14,029,936
A total loss of 50,172 in 2 and a half days and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom