• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

They came out quick for the encore because they were right up against the curfew, I was worried they'd be told they couldn't play the after 11

Voltron64

QPVEjgx.jpg

I don't see them getting the nod for a long time, if ever, unless he just stops touring completely and the climate becomes right for the original four to show up and pop a rating for the Hall. Like the article mentions they're up against a large backlog and I'm sure the hall doesn't think there's money to be made from a pumpkins induction. Of course, they can get some money out of the fact that it will be filled with KISS-level antics as to whether or not James and D'Arcy should be inducted (I'm sure regardless of who is drumming for them at the time, Jimmy will be there), or if Jeff should be there (IMO absolutely) and so on and so forth. I wonder what happened to Nicole...

Personally I think it'd be great to have those five get the award, billy can say his piece about thanking all the musicians that have kept his idea going as well as the one's who started it with him. But I don't think he'd see it that way at all :)

It's a shame because they remind me of another act that took forever to get inducted and had some line-up shakeups and ideas that weren't even fully resolved by the time they got in: Genesis.

Honestly surprised Blur, who are playing a mostly sold out gig at MSG next week, didn't make the cut. VERY surprised about Mariah, imo she's more influential than Janet.

¡HarlequinPanic!;181761399 said:
I don't see them getting the nod for a long time, if ever, unless he just stops touring completely and the climate becomes right for the original four to show up and pop a rating for the Hall. Like the article mentions they're up against a large backlog and I'm sure the hall doesn't think there's money to be made from a pumpkins induction. Of course, they can get some money out of the fact that it will be filled with KISS-level antics as to whether or not James and D'Arcy should be inducted (I'm sure regardless of who is drumming for them at the time, Jimmy will be there), or if Jeff should be there (IMO absolutely) and so on and so forth. I wonder what happened to Nicole...

Personally I think it'd be great to have those five get the award, billy can say his piece about thanking all the musicians that have kept his idea going as well as the one's who started it with him. But I don't think he'd see it that way at all :)

It's a shame because they remind me of another act that took forever to get inducted and had some line-up shakeups and ideas that weren't even fully resolved by the time they got in: Genesis.

Honestly surprised Blur, who are playing a mostly sold out gig at MSG next week, didn't make the cut. VERY surprised about Mariah, imo she's more influential than Janet.

James/Darcy wouldn't show up

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
We are old.

I love it, but I never got BWBW at all. It being the song everyone associated with SP is kind of weird to me, it just seems like it doesn't belong whenever I hear it. All is forgiven when I hear Zero though.

Been saying this for years

Not the best video but I was completely floored when they played Ruby a couple months ago in Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGppTGs3pnU

really good performance, wish i saw them on this tour with jimmy :(

also, that video links to one from 95:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgVGUXXVnag

not to diminish the recent one (i'm sure it was even better being there) but more of being in awe of how incredible the original band was live. i don't think we'll ever see anything like it again

Macam

Banned
Well, aside from a rambling, failed attempt at a poetic eulogy to the now deceased Scott Weiland, BC has heard all of your cries and produced a music video for everyone's favorite track off of MTAE, Run2Me.

e56f8f_59c950ae711340b982516e6ec9779499.jpg

I'm not really sure what the motif is beyond an amateur photographer's attempt at some Stevie Nicks' tinged, gothic-lite lesbian erotica or something.

Diablos

I thought his eulogy to Weiland wasn't that bad.

Run2Me, ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. The comments section pretty much says it all. It's so bad it's offensive.

Well, aside from a rambling, failed attempt at a poetic eulogy to the now deceased Scott Weiland, BC has heard all of your cries and produced a music video for everyone's favorite track off of MTAE, Run2Me.

e56f8f_59c950ae711340b982516e6ec9779499.jpg

I'm not really sure what the motif is beyond an amateur photographer's attempt at some Stevie Nicks' tinged, gothic-lite lesbian erotica or something.

this is one of billys worst songs ever... i don't understand why it made it onto any album and i dont know why he plays it live and i dont know why he did a video for it. unbelieveable

the scott weiland thing wasn't too bad. i remember listening to some live performances from 93 or 94 and he/james would just wail on STP in between songs (bush too!)

Macam

Banned
Well, that came out of nowhere. Hope that works out for both of them; he seems to be in a relatively good spot to be a pop.

Also, lol@"spiteful arrogance". Not sure how I just saw that.

Plainsong tour this Spring with new album to follow

They are coming to Toronto but prices aren't listed yet, probably gonna cost a fortune =/

Edit - yea, tickets for Toronto are 72-82 dollars =/

Macam

Banned
Plainsong tour this Spring with new album to follow

They are coming to Toronto but prices aren't listed yet, probably gonna cost a fortune =/

Edit - yea, tickets for Toronto are 72-82 dollars =/

Yeah, tickets ain't particularly cheap, even Stateside. May still go, though. Crazy as BC gets sometimes, he's still a great musician and puts on a great show.

A NOTE REGARDING LEAKS FROM THE PUMPKINS ARCHIVES: Recently, some 'fresh' tracks, albeit outtakes and work product from 20+ years ago, surfaced on the internet. And though such releases are celebrated by fans and media alike, they are the product of theft, and should not be applauded as such. Remember, whoever the culprit is, they do not reveal themselves for fear of prosecution. This, ladies and gentlemen, is not some Robin Hood helping out the impoverished. And when they are found out, we, The Smashing Pumpkins (and yes, the original 4 are unified on such issues) will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law as well as bring a civil suit; for undoubtably this person is a former employee. And in that, we will reward whoever helps bring this matter to its just result. But that does not mean we don't have our suspicions and leads. It's only a matter of time.

what is he talking about? i tried to look up what "leaked" but can't seem to find anything

Dead

well not really...yet
Is the Pumpkins Mellon collie era the most productive a band has ever been in a single period?

It's literally unfathomable just how much music was written and recorded and we still haven't heard it all.

Is the Pumpkins Mellon collie era the most productive a band has ever been in a single period?

It's literally unfathomable just how much music was written and recorded and we still haven't heard it all.

it is pretty incredible when you think of it. lets say a pretty decent album length is 12 songs. by that count, you could probably 4 or 5 albums worth of great material. that is an entire career for some bands/musicians. over the years i often wonder about the recording sessions for MCIS and just imagine how awesome it must have been to be billy or anyone else in the band. on top of the world, at your peak of music creativity, everybody loved you, earning tons of money and fame and respect... what a time it must have been!

Curufinwe

Googling for news about the Machina reissue I found this article from July. I don't know if there been any other updates since then.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/23/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-tour-interview

Is the reissue project still on? Is there a reissue of Machina: The Machines of God coming?

Yes. The problem is, and I can’t talk about the specifics, but we’re in a dispute with what is now the parent company, which is Universal. Everything has been put on hold. If I told you the truth of it, you’d laugh your ass off, because it’s a classic record company story. I feel bad, because people on Twitter keep asking about it, and people seem to have come around on that record in the last five years. It sounds contemporary again for whatever reason. I do want to put it out, and it takes a lot of time and effort to go through all the tapes. I’ve invested a good 300 hours in preparing the project, and now it’s totally on hold. It is what it is. I’m not mad at anybody. I don’t have time to be mad.

Diablos

So apparently Jimmy Chamberlin is touring with the band again and they're also talking about writing songs together. It's about time. I just want to forget about the last album.

What's the Smashing Pumpkins lineup going to be on this summer's tour?

Me, Jeff Schroeder and Jimmy Chamberlin. And then we're being helped out by Sierra Swan and Katie Cole, who are both singer-songwriters. The shows tend to lean more towards vocal arrangements and stuff like that, so I need other people to help on that.

Is Jimmy back in the band full-time now?

I don't really get into all that stuff anymore. One of the sources of tension always was, "Who's and who's out?" I run sort of an open-door policy now. There really are no band members. And if anybody's in the band, it's Jeff. With this, I asked Jimmy to be involved and he was very enthusiastic about it, and so I said, "Great, let's do it." I think we're long past the point of trying to define what the band is. It's gone through so many iterations and been delved into over and over again. There's no straight answer and nobody seems satisfied with whatever answer I give, so I just don't care anymore. It's an open door.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...g-twitter-smashing-pumpkins-new-tour-20160317

I really wanted to hear The Tracer, too bad it was taken offline but it probably was stolen anyway so I understand.

Voltron64

Just got back from the In Plainsong show in L.A. I can't believe James Iha played on stage with Corgan and the band tonight.

Oreoleo

That is CRAZY. And not just like one or two songs either but like half the set. Very jealous of anyone that was there tbqh. Hopefully a sign of good things to come but I'm trying to keep the fanboy in me from reading into it too much.

Curufinwe

I assume he lives in LA and this was a special occasion, so I dont expect to see him at the Philly concert or anything.

Still very cool.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow...man a full fledged reunion tour would be epic. If Guns N Roses can do it, so should SP with D'Arcy or Melissa.

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly I don't even care about a reunion or whatever, I'm just kinda glad it's looking like they are back on good terms, which also says a lot about Corgan seemingly finally calming the fuck down after all these years

Top Bottom