• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

DiscoJon

Banned
My dad got me Monuments on vinyl for X-Mas. I wish I would have asked for the Adore or Aeroplane reissue instead of not saying anything when he asked what I wanted. Sigh.

I'm honestly debating on taking it to my local record store for store credit or something.

Diablos

Billy needs to be asked more hard questions. He loves to hear himself talk. It's not 1993 or 1999 anymore. I really wish someone would find the strength (but also the tact) to finally put him in his place.

He's a musical genius even based on SP's run from the late 80's to the breakup of the original band alone. Any mature adult will come to realize he can be a pretty awful person though.

I.e. how he ripped on a transsexual for a guitar pedal that he disapproved of -- it's fine for him to disapprove of it, what's not fine is for him to sling personal insults. After all, Billy has dressed in drag plenty of times and even blogged about waking up in bed next to someone he thought was a woman until he could feel a penis. Insecure much?

Also while SP has one of the best discographies of any band out there, past or present... there's enough there to make you understand he's so incredibly troubled.

There's weird things he has done with his career, for example he played at a benefits show for neglected/abused children and one of the songs he played was XYU. I cannot be the only adult in here who finds that to be incredibly fucked up.

Macam

Banned
not sure if i missed it at some point but this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhSfYa-1yE (burnt orange black) is going to be on the new album this year and is better than anything on monuments. now of course this is in a live setting and maybe the song is trash on record but this sounds really good to me

Wait, are we doing another album again this year or is this more pie-in-the-sky talk from BC?

Also, Burnt Orange Black is a lovely song, and reminds me a lot of the sort of stuff he was producing during the Zwan days. I liked the more stripped down, almost folksy angle he took on some of those tracks, while still mixing in a good dose of classic BC stylings in there.

Wait, are we doing another album again this year or is this more pie-in-the-sky talk from BC?

Also, Burnt Orange Black is a lovely song, and reminds me a lot of the sort of stuff he was producing during the Zwan days. I liked the more stripped down, almost folksy angle he took on some of those tracks, while still mixing in a good dose of classic BC stylings in there.

Day for Night (new album) will be out this year along with at least the Machina reissue.

Wish they would have chosen a different song for the lead single and video.

That is a really cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like Billy has ditched the title for the upcoming album and the new title is a secret. Sounds like it won't be out this year either. No word on Machina reissue.

You can read all about it on the main site if you can handle his bonkers writing style.

Diablos

That is a really cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like Billy has ditched the title for the upcoming album and the new title is a secret. Sounds like it won't be out this year either. No word on Machina reissue.

You can read all about it on the main site if you can handle his bonkers writing style.
I really wanted a Machina 2 reissue and now there's no word of it? What the fuck, Billy? I don't care about the next new album, the latest one is a disaster. Oceania is okay sans boring drumming, but it's a respectable album, no doubt. Gilssandra's guitars in particular sound straight out of Siamese Dream.

Every time I think of this dude lately I just get angry. As we all probably know back in December he talked about 'The End'. Whatever, man. After Jimmy left his output got notably worse, with rare exception. Maybe it's just time to pull the plug, Corgan is a little over two years shy from 50. In the article, he admits he doesn't have much of a fanbase left. I'd say that's mostly a self-inflicted wound, pal.

I just... since 2010 or so every time this guy opens his mouth I have no idea what the fuck he's trying to do. Does he, even?

He's getting to the point where everything new that he does is overshadowing his prolific output from 1989 to a good 6-7 years into last decade. Please stop, Billy. Please.

Diablos

Kim Gordon on Billy/Courtney Love/SP:

When Gordon co-produced Hole’s 1991 debut she soon found herself privyy to Courtney Love’s chaotic world, including her attraction to Kurt Cobain (“Uh-oh, train wreck coming,” noted Gordon) and her relationship with the Smashing Pumpkins frontman: “Courtney asked us for advice about her ‘secret affair’ with Billy Corgan. I thought, Ewwww, at even the mention of Billy Corgan, whom nobody liked because he was such a crybaby, and Smashing Pumpkins took themselves way too seriously and were in no way punk rock.”
SP isn't a punk rock band anyway, Kim. Although they do have some songs that could pass as such. Pissant is probably their most punk rock song.

Kim Gordon on Billy/Courtney Love/SP:

SP isn't a punk rock band anyway, Kim. Although they do have some songs that could pass as such. Pissant is probably their most punk rock song.

yeah, whatever kim. every band takes themselves too seriously at some point or another, sonic youth included

Archive.org has a butt load of stuff.

thank you sah! found a lot of what i was looking for already. luckily i still had a few others (mainly Exit Mellon Collie) on my small mp3 player

This would have really upset me a few years back, but I think I'd get over it now if this happened to me. I have so much SP stuff.

i still like having live stuff around to mix things up... for all bands!

Macam

Banned
Pumpkins are touring with Marilyn Manson this summer.... What

Coincidentally, I was perusing YouTube the other day when this popped up: Smashing Pumpkins in Lollapalooza Chile 2015. RATM's Brad Wilk is filling in on the drums, although I don't recognize the bassist fill in.

It's a bit of a pretty throwaway set, though it fills an hour and change, considering BC is doing exactly what he said he never wanted to do when he brought back the band circa 2007: Playing all the old hits, with some of Monuments to an Elegy's tracks buried in there. It's a pretty ho-hum performance, and Billy's tendency to wear tight shirts in his older age isn't helping. Wilk is certainly no JC, and you can really hear it in the drums, especially on tracks like United States.

Coincidentally, I was perusing YouTube the other day when this popped up: Smashing Pumpkins in Lollapalooza Chile 2015. RATM's Brad Wilk is filling in on the drums, although I don't recognize the bassist fill in.

It's a bit of a pretty throwaway set, though it fills an hour and change, considering BC is doing exactly what he said he never wanted to do when he brought back the band circa 2007: Playing all the old hits, with some of Monuments to an Elegy's tracks buried in there. It's a pretty ho-hum performance, and Billy's tendency to wear tight shirts in his older age isn't helping. Wilk is certainly no JC, and you can really hear it in the drums, especially on tracks like United States.

i can kind of see, though, that at a festival you kind of need to do that type of set. not sure what their non-festival setlists look like but i watched some of this and it seemed decent. billys voice was sounding better in some of the songs because he didnt end every other word with that sharp vocal shit he was constantly doing

Diablos

RATM and SP? Who would have ever thought...

Bassist Jesus is hilarious!

The band sounds really... subdued. Lacking the energy of a typical SP concert.

A part of me wants to go to that SP/Manson show but given how shitty Sp was at the Fonda a few months ago here in LA...My money may be better spent elsewhere. :(

¡HarlequinPanic!;159074377 said:
Spring is here brahs,

a perfect time to spin Mary Star Of The Sea featuring what I'm sure a few people here are the final truly great songs that Billy's written~

Mary star of the sea has like 3 good songs. The music isn't terrible but some of the lyrics.... wow they are cringeworthy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I haven't listened to Zwan since 2002, but it lead me to listen to Spiderland, so I thank Billy for that.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ill be seriously miffed if label fuckery keeps the Machina re-issue from getting released.

Like, that was the single re-issue I anticipated more than any, as it was the one standing to gain the most in a re-release, proper mix and master of M2, and improved mix and master for M1, not to mention the double album sequencing, and surely the tons of unreleased stuff

Ill be seriously miffed if label fuckery keeps the Machina re-issue from getting released.

Like, that was the single re-issue I anticipated more than any, as it was the one standing to gain the most in a re-release, proper mix and master of M2, and improved mix and master for M1, not to mention the double album sequencing, and surely the tons of unreleased stuff

I'm more pissed because the Zwan reissue gets pushed back now too.

Also, I am not going to a Manson show. So not pleased that they paired up.

i was looking up something on kurt and came across this gem of an article:

http://www.stereogum.com/1711494/mo...-about-courtney-love-says-courtney-love/news/

Before she got involved with Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love dated Billy Corgan, and rumor has it that they dated again for a little while after Cobain died. (Corgan also co-wrote five songs on Hole’s great 1998 album Celebrity Skin.) And in a recent BBC 6 Music interview, Love claimed that Corgan wrote most of the Smashing Pumpkins classic 1993 album Siamese Dream about her.
As NME reports, this is how Love responded to a question about whether she had a favorite Smashing Pumpkins song: “Yeah, loads, because there are so many of them that are about me. ‘Siamese Dream,’ ‘Bodies,’ ‘Today’… He stopped writing about me, and then he stopped making hits… There’s one on Siamese Dream called ‘Spaceboy’ — that’s about his brother. But the rest are all pretty much about me.”

She also took credit, sort of, for the Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness song “Where Boys To Tread,” claiming that the track is about her brief relationship with Trent Reznor “and how mad [Corgan] was about that.”

lulz

Oreoleo

Seems like they played a killer set tonight for the first Plainsong show:

Tonight, Tonight
Freedom Ain't What It Used to Be
For Your Love
Drum + Fife
A Stitch in Time
Mayonaise
Prairie Song
Jersey Shore
Sparrow