• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokahey

Anyone else worried about the rumor that BIG POTENTIAL SPOILERS
the last shot of the finale will be a first person shot of someone getting the bat from Negan, and we don't even find out who died until the next season?

It's the stupidest fucking idea, but stupid enough for AMC to do.

If that does happen....COMIC SPOILERS
Then there is no way it's Glenn that dies. And rewatching the promo for next week, the bat scene is clearly being seen from a first person shot. So it seems true. But there is no way they'll have it be Glenn with so many comic readers out there to spoil it the full off season. And I think it's smart from a tv producer perspective to make who dies a cliffhanger. It'll be huge water cooler discussion for both the finale and the premier. EVERYONE will by dying (ha) to know who met Lucille.

All of that said, as a huge fan of the comic, I CANNOT wait to see Negan come to life next week. I think it'll be perfect casting.

border

At this point, yes. The men Carol confronted knew the exact location of Alexandria. There's probably background actions we aren't really seeing which is kind of a drag but it adds the mystery.

They knew about Alexandria, but I never got the impression that they were necessarily a part of The Saviors, or that they knew about the massacre at Negan's outpost. I might have missed something though because I was in a very crowded and loud theatre watching.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I liked the episode. Although you can tell it had a lot of table setting to get characters in certain spots. Dwight sneaking up on two different groups of people for example, that was a bit much for me. They should have just had him sneak up on them all when they were loudly arguing in the woods.

NolbertoS

They knew about Alexandria, but I never got the impression that they were necessarily a part of The Saviors, or that they knew about the massacre at Negan's outpost. I might have missed something though because I was in a very crowded and loud theatre watching.

They didn't know about the massacre, but we can assume they're part of the Saviours. Didn't Jesus from Hilltop say that they don't know how big Negan's group truly is?? For all we know Negan has like 5-10 communities on lockdown nearby but for some reason, maybe due to the huge walker contingent at that mine quarry that they didn't bother to search Alexandria.

someday

Banned
I don't understand how Daryl and Rosita didn't notice all those saviors before they caught Glenn and Michonne. I also don't believe that neither Daryl nor Rosita would have been that obtuse when both Glenn and Michonne were clearly giving them signals saying that someone was right behind them.

It was really dumb that half of the wrecking crew found ways to leave Alexandria this episode but otherwise I didn't really mind it.

I'll be really glad when we don't have an episode with Carol crying. I hate that even if I can try to be empathetic to her plight.

I'm glad Morgan stopped Rick from killing the unarmed man running away from them.

Next week can't come soon enough. I just want to know what happens.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
holy shit carol. Bodied 5 guys in 1 pray and spray. I can't even do that in Uncharted mp. Left the other dude half dead and then stole his cigarettes too. Damn.

How did that even work anyway? Wouldn't the shell ejections from her pocket pistol(?) have thrown her recoil and aim in addition to burning her hand due to compressed gas ejecting off?

I don't understand how Daryl and Rosita didn't notice all those saviors before they caught Glenn and Michonne. I also don't believe that neither Daryl nor Rosita would have been that obtuse when both Glenn and Michonne were clearly giving them signals saying that someone was right behind them.

I'm thinking the way Glenn and Michonne were telling them "no" was meant as a "NO DO NOT COME SAVE US. WE'RE SURROUNDED. FLANK" sort of deal, that's the way I interpreted it instead of yours.

But you're right. I have no clue why Daryl or Rosita wouldn't have attempted to flank or circled around them as best as they could.

someday

Banned
I'm thinking the way Glenn and Michonne were telling them "no" was meant as a "NO DO NOT COME SAVE US. WE'RE SURROUNDED. FLANK" sort of deal, that's the way I interpreted it instead of yours.

But you're right. I have no clue why Daryl or Rosita wouldn't have attempted to flank or circled around them as best as they could.
I was sitting on my couch and the urgency that they showed told me there was someone behind Daryl and Rosita. They first shook their heads saying we're surrounded, but after a couple of seconds the urgency stepped up indicating that there was imminent danger.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

e2FgL8Y.gif

(but I will agree that they need to stop doing these fakeout deaths)

xaosslug

Somebody's probably already said it, but after the bullshit they pulled with Glenn's "death" it feels like there is really no point in fretting over other ambiguous deaths. Daryl will probably be fine. I presume that Carol is pretty much done for after this season ends, considering how emotional her actress was on the previous Talking Dead episode. She knows her arc is at an end.

i REFUSE to believe Carol will die. I REFUSE. >_<

and the guy says 'you'll be alright' so I'm sure Daryl's just shou in the arm.

whoever gets the bat has to be someone that the audience loves
no ones gonna give a shit for example if its Morgan
maybe the ancient Rick curse strikes down another lover?

Finally caught the episode.

Man, this show really loves making its characters do stupid shit.

Also it's sad how cavalier people are with spoilers in this thread.

SamuraiX-

NHmLHjv.png

• Standard rules apply: after the 9PM ET/6PM PT airing of a new episode, the details of that episode may be discussed openly without the use of spoiler tags. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview and/or promo discussion for episodes that have not aired.
  • Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers]
    [Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
    . All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.
Below are examples of acceptable and unacceptable use of spoiler tags:

Acceptable

(Comic Spoilers)
I wonder if this episode will follow the events from the comics where [insert spoiler].

Unacceptable

I wonder if this episode will follow the events from the comics where
[insert spoiler].

Please notice how the acceptable example has all of the post text tagged along with an appropriate (Comic Spoilers) label in front of the tags.

SamuraiX-

Content Roundup – Episode 615: “East”

l37DM8j.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:
  • The Making of Episode 615, “East” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 615: “East” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 616, “Last Day on Earth” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 616, “Last Day on Earth” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:
Critic Reviews:
Talking Dead’s Inside The Dead:
  • All the spikes on Carol’s car were real, except the one used to kill the Savior, which was added digitally. The crew referred to this as the “Porcupine Car.”
  • The scene where Glenn, Michonne and Rosita find Daryl had an interesting look because it was shot on a flood plain by a George river. Due to the dense woodland, every piece of equipment had to be carried in by hand.
  • The woman playing the female walker found by Rick and Morgan near the farm was chosen because she looked like Carol. This was no coincidence as she has also been Melissa McBride's stunt double.
PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

This quote from the AV Club sums up my general outlook on the show:

"We’ve been building to Negan’s arrival for months now, and when he does show up, I’m sure it’ll be horrifying and nasty, and we’ll almost certainly lose a major character. But what then? We’ve seen Rick and the others go mental with a need for revenge before, we’ve seen them be hardasses, we’ve seen them be afraid of violence. Apart from the immediate shock of whatever it is Negan does in the finale, it’s hard to know how much story potential there is in yet another psychotic despot running roughshod over our heroes."

Edit: Just to be sure neither the reviewer or I know what is going to happen so no spoilers there, just a general feel for how the show goes. It's just... empty. There's nothing to see here except violence, despair, and hope, followed immediately by more violence and despair.

SamuraiX-

Man, seems like none of the critics were enthused about this week's episode.

I feel Sepinwall is overreacting but I'd have to agree with Fowler's verdict:

Sure, "East" gave us some more hesitant-but-badass Carol moments, but for the most part it clumsily forced our crew apart, and into danger, for very weak reasons. During a time when none of them should have moved from their posts.

The one thing that bothered me the most was Rick and Morgan's conversation. I get that Rick didn't witness the Wolf saving Denise like the audience did, hence giving some substance to Morgan's "all life is precious" mantra, but Morgan describing the exact series of events in chronological order to prove his point was just too much straight exposition for me. I never call the writers out for being lazy, but unfortunately that particular scene felt like exactly that.

The ending scene did leave me with my jaw dropped though. Took a few seconds to register that it was more than likely another fake out. I wonder if people would've reacted any differently if Dwight didn't conclude with "you'll be all right."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder if people would've reacted any differently if Dwight didn't conclude with "you'll be all right."

I think Sepinwall was right in that that line was probably added in after they saw the reaction to Glenn's fakeout. I think the season was mostly already done by the time the Glenn debacle started, so any fakeouts that were planned for the back half couldn't be rewritten or changed - just altered. I would be surprised if they pulled any similar stunts in future seasons though, given the backlash.

Pryce

"We’ve been building to Negan’s arrival for months now, and when he does show up, I’m sure it’ll be horrifying and nasty, and we’ll almost certainly lose a major character. But what then? We’ve seen Rick and the others go mental with a need for revenge before, we’ve seen them be hardasses, we’ve seen them be afraid of violence. Apart from the immediate shock of whatever it is Negan does in the finale, it’s hard to know how much story potential there is in yet another psychotic despot running roughshod over our heroes."

Edit: Just to be sure neither the reviewer or I know what is going to happen so no spoilers there, just a general feel for how the show goes. It's just... empty. There's nothing to see here except violence, despair, and hope, followed immediately by more violence and despair.

But isn't that just the nature of the show? The show is about survival, violence and despair. It always has been and always will be. Unless this show turns Revolution and moves toward Rick and Co trying to create nation states, it's always going to be what it is.

Which isn’t to excuse these last two episodes which have had some bullshit parts to it. On another watch, this was a very weak episode.

Ugh. There's just so much wrong with this episode. You would think by now the main cast would know better than to run off after people blindly, especially since they know there's probably more of Negan's people out there. Daryl hasn't grown as a character since the prison; he still just thinks of himself first. Then there's Glenn and Michonne calmly, loudly having conversations as they stroll through the forest where Dwight's men were before.

But the biggest bit of BS we're expected to swallow is that Daryl is an expert tracker and hunter, but somehow Dwight, who when Daryl helped him out was mostly an idiot, got the drop on him like he's some ninja? Right.

All of this is just lazy writing to put the main 'heroes' in mortal danger – including Maggie probably having a miscarriage without a doctor around – and it's starting to make me dislike most of the characters with this constant foolishness.

masud

Banned
Maggie finally going with the comic hair style.
Ugh. There's just so much wrong with this episode. You would think by now the main cast would know better than to run off after people blindly, especially since they know there's probably more of Negan's people out there. Daryl hasn't grown as a character since the prison; he still just thinks of himself first. Then there's Glenn and Michonne calmly, loudly having conversations as they stroll through the forest where Dwight's men were before.

But the biggest bit of BS we're expected to swallow is that Daryl is an expert tracker and hunter, but somehow Dwight, who when Daryl helped him out was mostly an idiot, got the drop on him like he's some ninja? Right.

All of this is just lazy writing to put the main 'heroes' in mortal danger – including Maggie probably having a miscarriage without a doctor around – and it's starting to make me dislike most of the characters with this constant foolishness.

I get your complaints but it's still the best thing on television for me in spite of issues like these. I think having read and being a big fan of the comics has a lot to do with that though. I do disagree about Dwight, idk where you got the idea that Dwight was was mostly an idiot at first from. I mean he got the best of Daryl then too. He just seems more hardened now, probably because he got his face burned off and Rick and co have slaughtered dozens of his people.

Consumer

If Morgan does disappear from the show for several episodes, I hope we get another Morgan solo episode next season. Very curious to see how his character develops since he took that gun; it's gotta signify/foreshadow something.

But isn't that just the nature of the show? The show is about survival, violence and despair. It always has been and always will be. Unless this show turns Revolution and moves toward Rick and Co trying to create nation states, it's always going to be what it is.

Which isn’t to excuse these last two episodes which have had some bullshit parts to it. On another watch, this was a very weak episode.

Yeah, it's really all the show has ever been about. It's just that every time it starts to heave itself around from hope to despair you gotta ask yourself, why exactly are you still watching? Does seeing the exact same arc play itself out, just a little bigger this time, really satisfy you? Rick and co build up their safe space just a little bigger than the last safe space they had, and then what do you know eventually they run into a bad guy just a little badder than the one who destroyed their last safe space.

I stopped reading the comic right around the time they FIRST entered Alexandria in the book so I had ZERO idea about The Wolves or Negan or that group of cannibals or ANY of that stuff.

I'm just gonna predict from a writing standpoint that there's going to be a LOT more dead plot armor characters than people are guessing at. It might not be during the season finale, but season 7 is probably going to be a full on reset of the core group.

For the record, I'm not too annoyed by the decision to go after Daryl or Carol. Makes sense. They're family, and the team is only just starting to suspect that they dun goofed and that Negan might be much bigger than they suspected. Also, they're still feeling themselves and think that they're the top of the food chain. As viewers, we've never seen anything like this on the show. When Daryl goes out solo, he's normally the best there is at what he does.

Not anymore, apparently.

While I hate the ninja dark-daryl and his super crew, it's totally reasonable that when Carol and Daryl go all wolverine, core members of the team go after them.

However, from a writing perspective?

I suspect that Glenn is finished. Rule is you can't be a moral compass on TWD, and Morgan is starting to fill Glenn's role which sucks.

Maggie's switch to 'dark maggie' was sudden and jarring for me, but they're laying the seed for her to be a carol-like replacement. Her journey is, apparently, just beginning. They've not really done too much character work on her since the beginning. She's being prepped for an evolution. Can't have a little kickstart without tragedy.

Abraham and Rosita are next on the chopping block. Neither character serves any purpose anymore. Abraham, specifically, was meant to be a tough tank with an absurd no-nonsense intensity and a dark past looking for a family. He's found all that. Also, when you give characters something to love, drama rules dictates that it must be taken away. The question to ask is what happens on the other side of tragedy for Abraham? He becomes what? Darker? More driven? If I had to guess? Redundant. He's done. As is Rosita. Possibly even Sasha because....why not?

Carol is a tough one because her arc is almost done. She has evolved as a character, and on the surface, her story and Rick's are essentially the same. They've had a very similar mirroring evolutionary path. There's a 50/50 chance that she remains because through her, we can sort of see Rick. However, again, there's that redundancy and as much as I enjoy watching the Wolverine of the show, she's got a strong chance of getting killed OR going to a spin-off. However, her staying with the team as she is now or was before, serves no purpose.

Michonne. Again, a tough one. If you love it, watch it die. If they like her, me 'em cry. She has become Rick's Lieutenant, and serves to center Rick and friend Carl. She may still have story purposes, but it could go either way. If only to balance out Rick and Carl, or to be a sounding board for Carl, it might be a wrap for her.

Corpekata

Banned
I stopped reading the comic right around the time they FIRST entered Alexandria in the book so I had ZERO idea about The Wolves or Negan or that group of cannibals or ANY of that stuff.

I'm just gonna predict from a writing standpoint that there's going to be a LOT more dead plot armor characters than people are guessing at. It might not be during the season finale, but season 7 is probably going to be a full on reset of the core group.

For the record, I'm not too annoyed by the decision to go after Daryl or Carol. Makes sense. They're family, and the team is only just starting to suspect that they dun goofed and that Negan might be much bigger than they suspected. Also, they're still feeling themselves and think that they're the top of the food chain. As viewers, we've never seen anything like this on the show. When Daryl goes out solo, he's normally the best there is at what he does.

Not anymore, apparently.

While I hate the ninja dark-daryl and his super crew, it's totally reasonable that when Carol and Daryl go all wolverine, core members of the team go after them.

However, from a writing perspective?

I suspect that Glenn is finished. Rule is you can't be a moral compass on TWD, and Morgan is starting to fill Glenn's role which sucks.

Maggie's switch to 'dark maggie' was sudden and jarring for me, but they're laying the seed for her to be a carol-like replacement. Her journey is, apparently, just beginning. They've not really done too much character work on her since the beginning. She's being prepped for an evolution. Can't have a little kickstart without tragedy.

Abraham and Rosita are next on the chopping block. Neither character serves any purpose anymore. Abraham, specifically, was meant to be a tough tank with an absurd no-nonsense intensity and a dark past looking for a family. He's found all that. Also, when you give characters something to love, drama rules dictates that it must be taken away. The question to ask is what happens on the other side of tragedy for Abraham? He becomes what? Darker? More driven? If I had to guess? Redundant. He's done. As is Rosita. Possibly even Sasha because....why not?

Carol is a tough one because her arc is almost done. She has evolved as a character, and on the surface, her story and Rick's are essentially the same. They've had a very similar mirroring evolutionary path. There's a 50/50 chance that she remains because through her, we can sort of see Rick. However, again, there's that redundancy and as much as I enjoy watching the Wolverine of the show, she's got a strong chance of getting killed OR going to a spin-off. However, her staying with the team as she is now or was before, serves no purpose.

Michonne. Again, a tough one. If you love it, watch it die. If they like her, me 'em cry. She has become Rick's Lieutenant, and serves to center Rick and friend Carl. She may still have story purposes, but it could go either way. If only to balance out Rick and Carl, or to be a sounding board for Carl, it might be a wrap for her.

This is all under the assumption that the show knows how to manage its' character arcs and end them when they should be ended, which the show clearly has never excelled at.

The show is far too precious with its' characters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone else worried about the rumor that BIG POTENTIAL SPOILERS
the last shot of the finale will be a first person shot of someone getting the bat from Negan, and we don't even find out who died until the next season?

It's the stupidest fucking idea, but stupid enough for AMC to do.

i know right AMC is such a bad writer that i bet he'd do something like that

Jobbs

Banned
It's still not clear to me how Carol went from cold blooded killer to a crying baby who can't stand killing in like two episodes

it was in recent history that alexandria was attacked and carol was killing invaders like a boss left and right without batting an eye. she was the one who threatened a 9 year old without batting an eye. why this? why now?

This shows writers have made Carol so OP its getting annoying. Spraying whole group down with a hand gun fired from the hip? Hidden inside of a sleeve! Come on now.

Why would Rick take Morgan with him on any kind of mission? All he does is get in the way with his dumb code

Morgan volunteered. Rick tagged along.

This shows writers have made Carol so OP its getting annoying. Spraying whole group down with a hand gun fired from the hip? Hidden inside of a sleeve! Come on now.
It sounded like a tiny automatic weapon. Which is more absurd given how she casually held it at the hip with one hand.

Daryl ain't dead
, but that pretty much gives him plot armor for next episode.
RIP
Glenn
, your days off cheating death are finally over!

Would, uh, Maggie's baby..turn?

I guess if Maggie were to miscarry, then the baby would become a zombie and try to eat its way out. Dead babies are pretty taboo though. Almost at a "Red Wedding" level even.

I agree. That seemed kinda silly to me. At least she didnt kill all 5 bad guys in one sweep. That would've been harder to believe still.

Love these characters reminiscing about nonsensical bullshit in the middle of the woods. Last time that happened (albeit not in the woods) someone got a arrow through their fucking orbital socket. When will these idiots ever learn? I like watching this show, but damn, are these people stupid at times.

Never. This narrative pattern is probably the single most consistent mechanism used to create drama in the show. The writing staff has consistently demonstrated that they're incapable of creating natural drama without relying on this trope. They have someone do something disarmingly stupid (With in-universe context, not viewer context) that they should know not to do and then disaster ensues.

They're a long way into this thing now. Not only should they know better than to go off alone in this world without a plan but that applies doubly now that they know a powerful group is actively reconning the community and has successfully caught them off guard numerous times.

Issue 100+ comic spoilers (current show storyline) and finale speculation based on that

One thing that always stood out to me about the decision to kill Glenn in the comics was that Kirkman spoke out afterwards to say the main reason that he killed him was because he adored the TV show version of his character. He thought that the version he developed in the comics was a pale imitation of the TV portrayal and the comic character was going nowhere... so he killed him. That was in 2012.

Seeing as the show is happy to diverge from the comic, and Kirkman likes the TV show character (well he did 4 years ago... which was Season 2), there are many reasons to think the finale will play out differently. TV show Glenn still has places where he could develop, advance, and become better.

At episode 100 in the comics so much is different from the show, but most notably in recent events Abraham is dead and Andrea is still very much alive. So, whilst Glenn could die in the finale to match up with the comics there is a bunch of reasons to think he may not.

The effect of killing Glenn in the comic was to make Negan a massive threat. It gave the comic a different feel going forward for many issues afterward. However, Negan only picked Glenn at random, he did not target him. The random act of violence could be written to include quite a few people on the show to get the same effect. A whole bunch of the main cast would fit. Both Carol and Daryl are arguably more stale characters than Glenn at this point.

I dont really keep up on leaks and spoilers for the show, so if there is already info of what will happen in the finale then excuse my rambling. However, seeing as events from the comic are hardly set in stone, expecting the showrunners to do what most think they will might lead to disappointment.

I get the feeling that if Season 6 does not end with Glenn's head caved in with a bat many will rage at everyone and thing connected to the show, but in all honesty the show could do something more interesting than mirroring the comics right now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think Sepinwall was right in that that line was probably added in after they saw the reaction to Glenn's fakeout. I think the season was mostly already done by the time the Glenn debacle started, so any fakeouts that were planned for the back half couldn't be rewritten or changed - just altered. I would be surprised if they pulled any similar stunts in future seasons though, given the backlash.

The major problem (besides the whole him surviving thing) was how long they dragged it out. If Glenn's fate was shown the next episode with them showing how he got out of that situation, I think it would've been far less criticized (besides how stupid it is he survived it).

Lothar

Banned

It's funny that AV Club had problems with it and still gave it a B. Do they only give out two ratings: An A or a B?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Terrible fucking episode. Did the writers decide to sit back, relax and eat a sandwich while writing these last few episodes? Characters keep doing explicitly weird things, there's absolutely no explanation or development as to their motivations and so much more horseshit that I had to sit through. Shit cliffhanger too.

Also, whattttt was up with the shooting part with Carol??! Was she hiding a goddamn machine gun in that sleeve? So unreal and stupid.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan better fuck someone up real good next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom