• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero - Video from review copy + plus Falco amiibo unlock revealed

Haldinian

It seems that not all the hidden levels in the score list are full ones. For example, the Aquarosa battle seems to count as one of them, and probably there are other boss battles or short phases that may be at that list too.

Even so, we have seen that there are other levels that completely change if you access them from a portal of a previous mission like Area 3, that under normal circumstances is a three phase all-range level focused on the walker and the gyrowing, but if you enter it from the portal in Corneria it becomes an on-rails level with Arwing inside the space colony. We haven't seen how it changes, but probably Zoness will get too a similar treatment seeing that if you arrive from Area 3 it's a stealth mission with the Gyrowing, but you have the Arwing if you enter it from Corneria, probably changing to an action focused mission unlike the original.

About the medals, some of them are scattered throughout the levels, but there are others you can only get by beating a determined score, just like the SF64 ones. Also there seems to be three golden rings with medal ribbons in them, so probably you will get a full one when you catch all of them.

I'm really curious about what levels will get full alternative missions and how them all will change when you arrive them with a different path, but I suspect that at the end the number of full levels will be the same as SF 64 (16).

It seems that not all the hidden levels in the score list are full ones. For example, the Aquarosa battle seems to count as one of them, and probably there are other boss battles or short phases that may be at that list too.

Even so, we have seen that there are other levels that completely changes if you access them from a portal of a previous mission like Area 3, that under normal circumstances is a three phase all-range level focused on the walker and the gyrowing, but if you enter it from the portal in Corneria it becomes an on-rails level with Arwing inside the space colony.

About the medals, some of them are scattered throughout the levels, but there are others you can only get by beating a determined score, just like the SF64 ones. Also there seems to be three golden rings with medal ribbons in them, so probably you will get a full one when you catch all of them.

I'm really curious about what levels will get full alternative missions, but I suspect that at the end the number of full levels will be the same as SF 64 (16).

No, they are full levels and not alternate boss fights and paths. Corneria 2 is a completely different mission.

This is the way you make a game. Everysingle time we see this game it looks better and better. Man it looks great and a lot of fun.

I've tried and tried, I just can't see any way that this is a good thing. I mean, all of the starfox games (that weren't spinoffs) were an on rails flying game. I get that they want to utilize the 2nd screen as a neat gimmick, but why are they not providing an option to use the classic layout? Do people honestly want to look back and forth between screens, or at best use motion controls for the reticle?

Just going by the looks of the game I really, really want this (I adore the original starfox and 64). But that control scheme just kills it for me. I can't figure out why they keep doubling down on the control method despite people begging for alternatives.

In reality, you can play most of the game with looking only in one screen. An you can switch between the two viewpoints at a press of a button.

Seik

Banned
HYPE for SLAY fox

about to finish Twilight QWEEN so my schedule looks clear for Slay Fox

get PERCHed

We're facing a PopGAF invasion since the last few days...

Can't you guys write normally on the gaming side? It just seems to irratate people on top of not being understood by no one, except its peers. :/

On topic: Sounds promising, I dig that black arwing. Bonus levels? All for the better! :D

Game looks great, I've really turned around on it since the reveal. Hopefully the Falco amiibo is just an early unlock key,
We're facing a PopGAF invasion since the last few days...

Can't you guys write normally on the gaming side? It just seems to irratate people on top of not being understood by no one, except its peers. :/
there are 160,000 members on GAF, no need for post policing unless its absolutely necessary. Let em cook. I for one appreciate their enthusiasm.

I've tried and tried, I just can't see any way that this is a good thing. I mean, all of the starfox games (that weren't spinoffs) were an on rails flying game. I get that they want to utilize the 2nd screen as a neat gimmick, but why are they not providing an option to use the classic layout? Do people honestly want to look back and forth between screens, or at best use motion controls for the reticle?

Just going by the looks of the game I really, really want this (I adore the original starfox and 64). But that control scheme just kills it for me. I can't figure out why they keep doubling down on the control method despite people begging for alternatives.

I agree with this. I cannot recognize the need for the screens to be configured as so. I'm a bit excited looking at the footage but honestly the controls look like a miss.

RomanceDawn

I played at Wondercon yesterday and I am extremely pleased with what I experienced so far.

When I was playing, I realized why many of the gameplay videos we've seen look really slow, it's because no seems to be trying to dodge with barrel rolls. I played a land master stage and there were lasers and crap flying at me all over the place. While that was happening I was trying to doge and then aim, I've noticed everyone else just focusing so much on aiming that just fly slowly or just in straight lines getting shot up. That certainly speaks to the fact that people are trying to use the gyro aiming almost exclusively.

Nah, for me, recenter the reticle with Y or pressing the left stick, fly and shoot in a way that is more like classic star fox and use the gyro when necessary.

I thought it looked very pretty as well! I mean I guess it's pretty basic in comparison to whats out there but it looks good and I'm happy with the visuals.

The voice acting is alright as well, In Star Fox 64 3D it seems like they were purposely trying to make it a bad dub as if that was a specific highlight of the N64 game. It was never hollywood caliber but the acting in SF64 sounded genuine, 643D sounded like they were purposely trying to sound bad. Luckily with this game that's no longer the case.

Haldinian

No, they are full levels and not alternate boss fights and paths. Corneria 2 is a completely different mission.
As I mentioned, there are probably both, and probably the specific ones will appear at the score list as 'levels' too.

In the video the reviewer completes for the first time the Aquarosa battle, and after that it appears in the Lylat System map as a separate level. Also, when the result screen of the battle appears you can see how the boss battle is considered as a level, with his own medal and high score based on the time (In fact, when he takes the alternative route and enters the portal in Corneria the result screen of that mission appears).

Corneria 2 seems to be a different level, and seeing the preview screenshot of the mission when he selects the planet
it appears that it's a level you access between Sector Omega and Venom as an unexpected mission in an alternative version of Corneria, probably involving the space-time portals.

TheMoon

Whats interesting is there are 70 medals total yet the levels he has played don't equal that and the amount of slots left are much more than that.

Either post game bonus stages that unlock and don't factor into the initial 70 or later ones don't all have 5 medals maybe?

I played at Wondercon yesterday and I am extremely pleased with what I experienced so far.

The voice acting is alright as well, In Star Fox 64 3D it seems like they were purposely trying to make it a bad dub as if that was a specific highlight of the N64 game. It was never hollywood caliber but the acting in SF64 sounded genuine, 643D sounded like they were purposely trying to sound bad. Luckily with this game that's no longer the case.

I think what was important about the voice acting was how genuine it felt, it was b-movie voice acting with fun intonation. That seems to be the case with Zero as well, my favorites so far being the intro with fox and falco's "recalibrate your reticle fox", like it's so snarky it's perfect.

The game is looking fast, clean and smooth. It's going to be a loooong 3 weeks.

Nintendo and Platinum should make more games together. W101, Bayonetta 2 and now Starfox Zero will form a great trinity in my Wii U collection.

jmizzal

Looks dope

Lol girl at my job just tried to tell me she had Star Fox on her Sega Genesis, im like you mean N64 haha

NateDrake

20 planets confirmed?

Also: anyone else getting video is private on the first link?

Both are now private because they broke embargo by nearly a month. We can share preview coverage and video next week. The livestream was not allowed until April 21. The guy was an idiot for posting the content this early.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Both are now private because they broke embargo by nearly a month. We can share preview coverage and video next week. The livestream was not allowed until April 21. The guy was an idiot for posting the content this early.

LOL

I was suspicious about it: I still have to receive my copy for review, so it seemed a little weird to see even all that footage around

Lol I was wondering why he was the only person on YouTube showing the game off. I would've expected to see Gamexplain and other have it up too.

Now I'm kind of sad because I watched half of it and I was going to watch the other half later lol

NateDrake

LOL

I was suspicious about it: I still have to receive my copy for review, so it seemed a little weird to see even all that footage around

It's definitely annoying to see people break an embargo the way he did. Tons of things were broken in that single stream and now content not allowed to be shown or even discussed in coverage is being discussed because the guy showed it in the video. The embargo wording is straightforward and not confusing. Rather huge blunder by him.

NotLiquid

When I was playing, I realized why many of the gameplay videos we've seen look really slow, it's because no seems to be trying to dodge with barrel rolls. I played a land master stage and there were lasers and crap flying at me all over the place. While that was happening I was trying to doge and then aim, I've noticed everyone else just focusing so much on aiming that just fly slowly or just in straight lines getting shot up. That certainly speaks to the fact that people are trying to use the gyro aiming almost exclusively.

Nah, for me, recenter the reticle with Y or pressing the left stick, fly and shoot in a way that is more like classic star fox and use the gyro when necessary.

I thought it looked very pretty as well! I mean I guess it's pretty basic in comparison to whats out there but it looks good and I'm happy with the visuals.

Shit man. This post singlehandedly put my hype thrusters back into high gear.

Can't wait for this game. Feels great knowing Star Fox is back.

NateDrake

Well, at least this guy made better job at selling Star Fox Zero to GAFfers than entire Nintendo PR division

Nintendo PR gave us the game a month early so we could provide preview coverage next week with footage and new impressions. They set these dates for a reason.

It's definitely annoying to see people break an embargo the way he did. Tons of things were broken in that single stream and now content not allowed to be shown or even discussed in coverage is being discussed because the guy showed it in the video. The embargo wording is straightforward and not confusing. Rather huge blunder by him.
I hate ruined surprises. Glad I didn't watch much of it.

Nintendo PR gave us the game a month early so we could provide preview coverage next week with footage and new impressions. They set these dates for a reason.

I am a journalist myself and I understand the importance of NDAs, and the guy in question is definitely a doofus and not a privileged streamer as I thought before, so don't take my reply as something really serious.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yep.and they are pretty clear in their nda
Cant wait to see the guy blacklisted and start the rant against Nintendo lol

Keikaku

I haven't watched the footage since I'm on media blackout for this game. That said, I definitely feel like this game has turned a corner in terms of public perception.

I'm hoping the game delivers a good Starfox 64-esque experience. Just that would make me happy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, due to a day spent with friends, I couldn't watch the videos in time. But I will say this: it's nice to see "Nintendo and Platinum present" at the start :D

Lettuce

So i guess the name give it away but this is set before StarFox game on the SNES right?.....but it seems more of a rehash of the SNES story game??

MutFox

Banned
So gameplay locked behind Amiibos?
Didn't Nintendo say they wouldn't do this for StarFox like a year ago?

They need to explain if it can be unlocked by playing.

So i guess the name give it away but this is set before StarFox game on the SNES right?.....but it seems more of a rehash of the SNES story game??

The intro is mostly identical to Star Fox 64 one - strange activity on Venom, Pigma's betrayal, Andross started the Lylat Wars, Star Fox reborn etc.

Top Bottom