• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 18, 2016

Hasney

Uncharted, Battleborn and Doom were all advertised during Leicester V Everton and the celebrations afterwards.

Isn't HotS doing ok? The only time I see the game on top in Twitch is when Blizzard is doing a tournament. The thing is Blizzard has a healthy ecosystem within their WoW, Diablo, and Starcraft community so they can get the word out for the game to others fast. Battleborn maybe should of had some connection to Borderlands. Harvesting a community to play your MOBA is hard. DC Comics couldn't do it with their popular characters.

What impresses me is how little they did with the attention they did generate.

They actually were getting respectable social media views and beta performance, but they conversion rate was horrible.

I was expecting maybe a 2-3 million LTD performance, but I'm not sure if they'll do even that.

It just seemed like from the start they were on their heels in terms of trying to figure out how to sell it to people. Because right away the reaction was "Ugghh, it's another MOBA", to which Gearbox desperately tried to explain why it's not. But then they'd start describing how it's a mix of all these genres. If the genre that your game is closest associated to is one that you want to distance it from, then that could lead to some bad things. Borderlands was a much easier sell. "It's Diablo with guns. BOOM!". Super simple and obviously very appealing. What isn't appealing is this

Battleborn is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248

2K with two straight misses this gen. Evolve and Battleborn. Mafia 3 next? Good thing they have X-Com and NBA
and Rockstar.

I think Mafia will be fine as long as it turns out to be a good game. There's been a complete lack of open world crime games recently. I really can't even remember the last one that came out. GTAV Remastered? So that market is likely hungry for something new and it seems to be the only game on the horizon. GTAVI isn't coming any time soon, and it's quite possible that Volition is doing something other than a new Saints Row.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
@Bruno, are you sure Uncharted 3 first week is 115,000?

I remember it was 116,000... i know is only 1K difference, but i would like to know the exatly numbers. :p

Really sad how no one talk about Yokay Watch performance in France....

very good debut.

Eh. Without numbers it's hard to say anything about Yokai Watch really. I mean Ratchet and Clank is second in the chart and it is its third week. If Youkai Watch couldn't beat that in France of all countries it would have been huge bomb.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
YO Ratchet! Hahaha yussss. Insomniac you see this!? We waiting patiently on that new PS4 Ratchet now. Go.all.in!

EGM1966

Doom will do very well on Xbox next week. Uc4 will take the wind out of the ps4 version. especially with 5 days tracking over 2

Yeah but doing well in the smaller install base and possibly losing a lot of sales on the larger install base isn't a good commercial move.

Also what will "good" on XB1 mean actual units wise? Not just PAL but beyond? I know Doom has a big place in gaming history but currently going up against U4 with PS4 so dominant and ND's last game, TLOU, being a mega hit was a very silly move (although to be fair perhaps Doom got caught by U4 delay in a similar way to RISE and Bethesda didn't want to shift from their own target).

Eh. Without numbers it's hard to say anything about Yokai Watch really. I mean Ratchet and Clank is second in the chart and it is its third week. If Youkai Watch couldn't beat that in France of all countries it would have been huge bomb.

It's also the first localization of a japanese 3DS exclusive series. It might be big among Nintendo fans, but considering the 3DS is on it's way out and how little mindshare Nintendo currently have with the market at large it's not very surprising. It's also a quirky Japanese game, and those are becoming increasingly niche sadly.

Raist

Banned
The BIU just posted that digital in 2015 in Germany accounts for 33% of games sales, up just 1% YoY (21% in terms of revenue, up 2% YoY). That's for PC+consoles but they didn't give a breakdown per platform. Considering how big the PC market is, it's probably higher than average in EU, although the biggest increase was in 2014 so probably due to new consoles.

Previous years:
2014 32%
2013 20%
2012 16%
2011 9%

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...-etabliert-sich-als-beliebte-alternative.html
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen-2015/download-digitaler-spiele/absatzanteil.html

noobie

Banned
The BIU just posted that digital in 2015 in Germany accounts for 33% of games sales, up just 1% YoY (21% in terms of revenue, up 2% YoY). That's for PC+consoles but they didn't give a breakdown per platform. Considering how big the PC market is, it's probably higher than average in EU, although the biggest increase was in 2014 so probably due to new consoles.

Previous years:
2014 32%
2013 20%
2012 16%
2011 9%

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...-etabliert-sich-als-beliebte-alternative.html
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen-2015/download-digitaler-spiele/absatzanteil.html

Do we get any numbers on if the population of PC gamers is increasing or decreasing and similarly the size of console gamers?

Kyonashi

You guys think UC4 will outsell DOOM even though it's platform exclusive compared to DOOM having both PS and XB sales to account for?

Not taking sides, just curious. The marketing for both has been aggressive, as others have said.

Hasney

You guys think UC4 will outsell DOOM even though it's platform exclusive compared to DOOM having both PS and XB sales to account for?

Not taking sides, just curious. The marketing for both has been aggressive, as others have said.

Honestly not sure. I don't think UC4 is going to outsell 3 by a large amount, maybe 170's or odd, but I don't think Doom will be much higher. I think it'll be close, Uncharted taking it by a nose due to Tuesday release.

Easily. Doom ain't doing great numbers.

It's really hard, but U4 has the potential (amazing hype and outstanding scores). Doom is a great IP too, but lots of new gamers don't know it much.
It isn't related to PAL charts, but it's interesting that U4 is selling A LOT BETTER than Doom in Iran. U4 price is between 225k to 240k here (it was much more in first 2 days) and Doom is 190k (less than most of new games), but everytime I check PSN I see about 90% of my friends playing U4 and only one person has Doom!

It's really hard, but U4 has the potential (amazing hype and outstanding scores). Doom is a great IP too, but lots of new gamers don't know it much.
It isn't related to PAL charts, but it's interesting that U4 is selling A LOT BETTER than Doom in Iran. U4 price is between 225k to 240k here (it was much more in first 2 days) and Doom is 190k (less than most of new games), but everytime I check PSN I see about 90% of my friends playing U4 and only one person has Doom!

There's quite a simple explanation on why only one of your friends has Doom.
It's not out yet, official release is tomorrow.

Honestly not sure. I don't think UC4 is going to outsell 3 by a large amount, maybe 170's or odd, but I don't think Doom will be much higher. I think it'll be close, Uncharted taking it by a nose due to Tuesday release.

i can't see doom doing anything above wolfenstein and i don't think it'll be close.

01 (NE) WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 82,050

Hasney

i can't see doom doing anything above wolfenstein and i don't think it'll be close.

01 (NE) WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 82,050

It should do better, think Bethesda would class it as a disappointment if it didn't with all the advertising they've done and probably a bigger name than Wolfenstein.

Raist

Banned
I think it's a given that U4 will obliterate Doom on PS4.

Might even outsell Doom on all platforms combined too, I don't think it's that unthinkable.

If that's what TNO did, I can see DOOM doing >100k. A stronger IP and will have multiplayer.

Maybe i'm underestimating the name, i don't think Doom means anything for the general audience these days, and the sony audience have other priorities this week ;)

With a muted response to the beta and no reviews, i think theres too much working against it.

jjonez18

Figured people would be more interested in the Halo v Uncharted showdown. Feel Doom is past its hey day and Uncharted will top it.

175k = Uncharted 4 > Halo 5 (150k) > Doom

Raist

Banned
German charts still aren't out. Mediabiz slipping again.

BIU sales awards have been updated,but the only new entry is Anno 2205 PC.

Moonstone

German charts still aren't out. Mediabiz slipping again.

From the GFK PR (via gamefront):

PS4
1. (NEU) Battleborn (2K Games)
2. ( - ) Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
3. ( 2 ) Dark Souls III (Bandai Namco)
4. ( 3 ) Tom Clancy's The Division (Ubisoft)
5. ( 1 ) Ratchet & Clank (Sony)

Xbox One
1. (NEU) Battleborn (2K Games)
2. ( 3 ) The Division (Ubisoft)
3. ( 2 ) Dark Souls III (Bandai Namco)
4. ( 1 ) Quantum Break (Microsoft)

PS3
1. ( 1 ) UEFA Euro 2016 (Konami)
2. ( 2 ) Minecraft (Sony)
3. ( 3 ) Battlefield 4 (EA)

Xbox 360
1. ( 1 ) Minecraft (Microsoft)
2. ( - ) FIFA 15 (EA)
3. ( - ) Call of Duty Black Ops II (Activision)

PC
1. Die Sims 4
2. XCOM 2
3. Fallout 4
4. Grand Theft Auto V
5. Battleborn

Bruno MB

FScg6.png

Spain:
Week 18, 2016 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (01) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH (NINTENDO) - nearly same units as last week (almost 6,000)
02 (02) PS4 RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - around 4,000 - 4,500 units for a total of 22,000 - 23,000 units
03 (03) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (05) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (04) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

21 (NE) PS4 BATTLEBORN (TAKE 2)

Source: http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350676761/vandal-radio-3x34-battlefield-1-y-fire-emblem-fates/

tolkir

FScg6.png

Spain:
Week 18, 2016 - Individual Console Formats (Units)

01 (01) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH (NINTENDO) - nearly same units as last week (almost 6,000)
02 (02) PS4 RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - around 4,000 - 4,500 units for a total of 22,000 - 23,000 units
03 (03) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (05) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (04) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

21 (NE) PS4 BATTLEBORN (TAKE 2)

Source: http://www.vandal.net/noticia/1350676761/vandal-radio-3x34-battlefield-1-y-fire-emblem-fates/

Great Yokai Watch 2nd week, in addition this week started anime show in spanish tv.
Next week, it will be position 2 after U4 probably..

For Uncharted 4 gonna stick with my ridiculus 200k prediction. Watch it do 150k instead.

I didn't realize The New Order did that well, I think Doom will come in just under but have better legs.

Bruno MB

Bruno, before the new chart is out, i'll ask again.

Are you sure Uncharted 3 first week was 115,000 and not 116,000?

Why are you so obsessed over such a meaningless difference? Both are fairly accurate estimates, if you want the precise number ask somebody with access to Chart-Track data.

[Week 42, 2009] UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 84,354 / NEW
[Week 43, 2009] UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 36,946 / 124,000 (-53%)

Battlefield Fends off Uncharted

07/Nov/2011

EA’s ‘Battlefield 3’ holds off the competition to retain the No1 spot, despite a 54% drop in sales from last week.

It’s the first time a Battlefield title has retained the Top Spot as the last iteration, ‘Battlefield: Bad Company 2’, was only No1 for its debut week before being dethroned by Square Enix’s ‘Final Fantasy XIII’ back in Week 10 2010. This means that Sony and Naughty Dog’s latest installment in the PS3 exclusive Uncharted series, ‘Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception’, has to settle for second place, recording the 11th highest PS3 launch week. It achieved an increase of 37% in sales from the previous title, ‘Uncharted 2: Among Thieves’, which also debuted at No2 over two years ago, pipped at the post by another EA title, ‘FIFA 10’. Sega’s ‘Sonic Generations’ is the only other new entry to breach the Top 10 at No10 with the rest of the titles in-between jostling for position.

[Week 44, 2011] UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 115,565 / NEW

Evidently 155,565 is not the exact number because of cumulative rounding errors.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Why are you so obsessed over such a meaningful difference? Both are fairly accurate estimates, if you want the precise number ask somebody with access to Chart-Track data.

Only because we may hear "Uncharted 4 sells "x%" better than Uncharted 3", and even 1k difference could be a bit error of Uncharted 4 sales. :p

Btw i'm fine with both, was just asking which estimate we should use. :D

Halo 5 was 160k? I think Uncharted 4 will beat that.

Top Bottom