• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

epmode

I just did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update from media, with nothing installed but graphics drivers, the Xbox One controller drivers, and Steam to test this out. I can confirm I am getting double input in Steam Big Picture and Dragon's Dogma with the controller whether wired or wirelessly (which is an original revision of the controller with latest firmware via Xbox Accessories app).

Edit: Hopefully Microsoft does something about this faulty driver situation...
Did you manually download the controller drivers? Windows 10 has them by default (might need to run Windows Update).

I ask because my Xbox One Elite controller is fine with a clean Windows 10 install. I didn't manually install anything but the Nvidia drivers.

Did you manually download the controller drivers? Windows 10 has them by default (might need to run Windows Update).

I ask because my Xbox One Elite controller is fine with a clean Windows 10 install. I didn't manually install anything but the Nvidia drivers.

I did not manually install any drivers except my graphics drivers.

Dolobill

YES! this fixed it for me

If you have an elite and are connecting wireless, there is no xinput device at first

you have to plug in the usb cable to your controller, then it will show up, then you can do this. after that, everything is working again for me

I attempted to take that fix a step further to try to get it to work over Bluetooth. I messed with my permissions until I was able to replace xinputhid.sys under System32 with a previous version of that driver. That way, all devices (whether usb or Bluetooth) that utilize that driver would be using the rolled-back version. It half worked. Steam was no longer registering double inputs, but none of the buttons on the controller were working properly in Steam Big Picture (and games, I assume). The left stick was functional, but everything else was screwed.

I'm glad the fix works for you USB folks, but I'm out of ideas for xinput over Bluetooth.

I'm confused, when rolling back the driver, where are you browsing to to locate the old version? There is a Rollback Driver option in Windows already but it's greyed out. I'm guessing the old driver was removed by the update.

Bl@de

Issue solved! The new "xinputhid.sys" driver doesn't work properly - use old version! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvLftCqvSo Where is the QA, Microsoft? Fix it!

Can somebody reupload the file to a proper filehoster (depositfiles is trash and doesn't let me download it). Other workarounds don't work for me. Will try that as a last thing and then simply unplug the XOne controller until they fix it. Great job MS

ziadoz

Neo Member
Same problems here, but that video got my bluetooth controller working. You can grab the drivers they mention directly from Microsoft here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=xbox+wireless

You need the Microsoft - Generic Controller - Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows driver version 6.3.9600.16384. One package is X86 and the other AMD64. Click on the title to see which is which. The xinputhid.sys and xinputhid.inf files are in there. It says they're for Windows 7 and 8.1, but they'll work just fine.

jfoul

Someone suggested this is only with the newer revision, with the headset jack. Not sure how true that is.

I'm going to test this when I get home, with wired and wireless. I have two 3.5mm jack controllers and one launch controller. I'm going to also test different clients (Steam, Origin, Bnet, Ubi)

Same problems here, but that video got my bluetooth controller working. You can grab the drivers they mention directly from Microsoft here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=xbox+wireless

You need the Microsoft - Generic Controller - Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows driver version 6.3.9600.16384. One package is X86 and the other AMD64. Click on the title to see which is which. The xinputhid.sys and xinputhid.inf files are in there. It says they're for Windows 7 and 8.1, but they'll work just fine.
This fixed it for me. I also blocked Windows from installing driver updates from Windows Update

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

I wouldn't be shocked if MS has changed the way controllers need to be queried and all affected games have to be the ones to release patches. I mean, it works fine on UWP.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I installed the anniversary update to see if it would fix my xbone s controller but LB/RB & xbox button still doesn't work and two controllers are detected in steam now. I wonder if the LB/RB problem is related to that I have a 360 wireless receiver, DS4 and a xbone s controller.

The DS4 still works perfectly with DS4Windows & Exclusive Mode Tool 1.4 though so I can still use that but it would be nice to be able to use the xbone s controller.

JohngPR

I'm confused, when rolling back the driver, where are you browsing to to locate the old version? There is a Rollback Driver option in Windows already but it's greyed out. I'm guessing the old driver was removed by the update.

It's under the recovery options for Windows 10.

I attempted to take that fix a step further to try to get it to work over Bluetooth. I messed with my permissions until I was able to replace xinputhid.sys under System32 with a previous version of that driver. That way, all devices (whether usb or Bluetooth) that utilize that driver would be using the rolled-back version. It half worked. Steam was no longer registering double inputs, but none of the buttons on the controller were working properly in Steam Big Picture (and games, I assume). The left stick was functional, but everything else was screwed.

I'm glad the fix works for you USB folks, but I'm out of ideas for xinput over Bluetooth.

i'm not using USB, im using the wireless dongle. i just hooked it up via usb to update the xinput driver, then unplugged the cable, and everything works again

maybe try that and see if it fixes bluetooth?

Wikzo

My wired Xbox One controller works fine after the update. However, for some reason, it isn't detected when I play VIDEOBALL on Steam. Previously, it worked, but now only my 360 controller gets detected. No idea if this is due to the Anniversary Update or a patch to the game itself (according to the Steam forums, others have controller issues as well).

Dolobill

This works for you over Bluetooth? Which device did you switch the drivers for? Under device manager in HID devices, I have a disabled XInput device, and an enabled Bluetooth Compatible Xinput Device. I wasnt able to replace the drivers for the Bluetooth Compatible Xinput device. Can you give more specific instructions?

Dolobill

i'm not using USB, im using the wireless dongle. i just hooked it up via usb to update the xinput driver, then unplugged the cable, and everything works again

maybe try that and see if it fixes bluetooth?

I think from the OS's perspective, the wireless dongle is the same as USB, since signals are received from the dongle's usb port. I believe I can fix it for USB or USB Dongle, but it seems different for Bluetooth. It's a different device in Device Manager when using it over Bluetooth.

ktroopa

I am under the impression that steam simply needs an update that will talk proper with the win 10 AU? Surely thats all thats needed

jfoul

My controller is also fixed after watching the video, and using the link for the old drivers. Also, I ran the auto update after the fix, which re-applied the new 10.0.14393.0 (Dated 7.15.16) driver, and it still works. Which is weird, but my controller works now so I'm happy.

Working
  • Launch XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)
  • 3.5mm XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)
  • Lunar White 3.5mm XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)

My controller is also fixed after watching the video, and using the link for the old drivers. Also, I ran the auto update which re-applied the new 10.0.14393.0 (Dated 7.15.16) driver, and it still works. Which is weird, but my controller works now so I'm happy.

Working
  • Launch XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)
  • 3.5mm XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)
  • Lunar White 3.5mm XB1 Controller (Wired & Wireless Adapter)
That is odd. When I auto-updated the new driver, it just put the broken one back on and things stopped working again.

ziadoz

Neo Member
This works for you over Bluetooth? Which device did you switch the drivers for? Under device manager in HID devices, I have a disabled XInput device, and an enabled Bluetooth Compatible Xinput Device. I wasnt able to replace the drivers for the Bluetooth Compatible Xinput device. Can you give more specific instructions?

I just tried by Bluetooth and I get the same double XInput issue, but if I use a USB cable or the USB wireless adapter then it works.

epmode

Someone suggested this is only with the newer revision, with the headset jack. Not sure how true that is.

I have two Xbox One controllers: An Elite and a regular one without a headphone jack. Both of them work fine over USB. Wish I had a standard controller with a headphone jack to test this.

epmode

Wow, I had no idea that you can only connect one Bluetooth controller at a time on PC. Also didn't know that the Bluetooth controllers require the Anniversary update.

So yeah, MS is still a terrible company and I wish they weren't intrinsically tied to PC gaming. So many of their decisions are made with zero regard to PC gaming. All that matters is getting people to their own shitty ecosystems.

I rolled back the driver, but some things still seem weird. Trying to play Tricky Towers and the dpad seems borked.

So frustrating. I hope MS do something soon. $200 (AUD) for a fancy controller + $30 for the dongle and it feels like I'm using some third party hack now. I really expect better MS.

iGeodude

So earlier in this thread I said I didn't have any problems, but later on I delved deeper and found out I did. This is how I fixed my problems. This fixed the Steam BPM double controller and double input issue for me, but fixed the problems I was having with FFXIII as well.

First I went to Human Interface Devices in the Device Manager, next I went into the properties of my Xbox Controller. I have the newest Xbox One Controller with Bluetooth, but I use the wireless adapter with it. It has the newest firmware as well. For some reason it's labeled Xbox Wireless Controller instead of Xbox One Wireless Controller.

Anyway, I clicked the Events Tab and noticed something strange while checking out the Device Configured option. It said Device Updated: false

false.png

So next I decided to downgrade to the previous driver, so I went to the Driver tab and clicked the update driver button. I selected the Browse my computer for driver software option, then selected Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. Then I selected the driver highlighted below.

driver.png

If your controller turns off before this point, a long list of hardware types may show up. Just turn on your controller again and restart the process.

Anyway the controller was downgraded and it worked again in BPM but I was still having problems with FFXIII. So I decided to upgrade the driver to the newest version and this time I noticed under Events that Device Updated was true now.

true.png

I tried BPM again and I wasn't getting double inputs or double controller issue anymore and I tried FFXIII and that was working too. So after all of that it seems that my problems have been fixed. You guys should give a shot and see if it works for you.

Genio88

Love that title... for me everything works perfectly and i tried the Xbox One controller on both my Surface Pro 4 and gaming desktop PC, both with Win10 annyversary update...with such a big update could happen that a minority will get some issues

So earlier in this thread I said I didn't have any problems, but later on I delved deeper and found out I did. This is how I fixed my problems. This fixed the Steam BPM double controller and double input issue for me, but fixed the problems I was having with FFXIII as well.

First I went to Human Interface Devices in the Device Manager, next I went into the properties of my Xbox Controller. I have the newest Xbox One Controller with Bluetooth, but I use the wireless adapter with it. It has the newest firmware as well. For some reason it's labeled Xbox Wireless Controller instead of Xbox One Wireless Controller.

Anyway, I clicked the Events Tab and noticed something strange while checking out the Device Configured option. It said Device Updated: false

false.png

So next I decided to downgrade to the previous driver, so I went to the Driver tab and clicked the update driver button. I selected the Browse my computer for driver software option, then selected Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. Then I selected the driver highlighted below.

driver.png

If your controller turns off before this point, a long list of hardware types may show up. Just turn on your controller again and restart the process.

Anyway the controller was downgraded and it worked again in BPM but I was still having problems with FFXIII. So I decided to upgrade the driver to the newest version and this time I noticed under Events that Device Updated was true now.

true.png

I tried BPM again and I wasn't getting double inputs or double controller issue anymore and I tried FFXIII and that was working too. So after all of that it seems that my problems have been fixed. You guys should give a shot and see if it works for you.
Yeah, this is weird. Going back to the old driver and then updating again to the most recent, and everything now works fine.

EDIT: Scratch that, I rebooted and problems came back. Need to use the older driver.

robgrab

It's odd that it only has a problem with some games. In my case Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is the only game with issues but it's enough of a problem that the game is completely unplayable.

Parsnip

I rolled back the driver, but some things still seem weird. Trying to play Tricky Towers and the dpad seems borked.

So frustrating. I hope MS do something soon. $200 (AUD) for a fancy controller + $30 for the dongle and it feels like I'm using some third party hack now. I really expect better MS.
That's because the old driver has issues with a lot of Unity games.

This actually seems to have worked for me.
Since my installation is clean, I don't have an older driver so instead of that, I just picked the HID compliant game controller in the downgrade step.

So basically my steps:
1. Device manager, human interface devices, pick Xbox One Wireless Controller.
2. Update driver, browse my computer, let me pick, pick hid compliant gaming device.
3. Now pick the HID compliant gaming device, update driver, browse my computer, let me pick, and install the newest xbox one wireless controller driver again.

So basically, installing any other compatible driver, and then reinstalling the newest driver. Seems to work for now, no double inputs, Gone Home and Ittle Dew recognizes the controller.
We'll see how it shakes after I reboot my system though.

EDIT: Scratch that, I rebooted and problems came back. Need to use the older driver.
Oh, this is unfortunate.

edit: Yup, reboot reverts it to a fucked up state again.

dcx4610

Is there a way to check the battery life of a wireless XB1 controller within Windows? I can't believe such a simple feature can't be found anywhere.

Condom

My adapter showed up as a wireless receiver. I then installed old drivers but it still didn't let my controller keep connection, it was resolved by pairing the two again.

It now works just like before in both PES 2016 and Dolphin.

Is there a way to check the battery life of a wireless XB1 controller within Windows? I can't believe such a simple feature can't be found anywhere.

I'd like to have this feature as well, we can record footage by pressing the xbox button but something as simple as checking the battery is excluded

Love that title... for me everything works perfectly and i tried the Xbox One controller on both my Surface Pro 4 and gaming desktop PC, both with Win10 annyversary update...with such a big update could happen that a minority will get some issues
Of course yours works. I'm sure you've never had any issues with any MS product.

And the fact that this is getting so much media (social or otherwise) attention is just meanies ganging up on poor ol' MS.

Ludens

Banned
I think I solved my problem: if your home button doesn't work. do the following:

-uninstall XBox One controller drivers, your PC will reboot
-unplug your controller
-plug your controller, so drivers will be installed again
-now download the app Applications for Xbox, execute it and probably another download will start

After this, my controller started working again.
Anyway it's dumb a Microsoft controller doesn't work on Windows 10 because Microsoft screwed up their drivers.

It's odd that it only has a problem with some games. In my case Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is the only game with issues but it's enough of a problem that the game is completely unplayable.

The issue depends on two things. One, which controller schemes does the game support, ot try to support, without any driver solutions at all. Other, how does it deal with it.

The first property breaks up into following popular categories:
  1. Only DirectInput supported, works worse or better
  2. Only XInput supported, usually pretty well
  3. Both APIs supported worse or less, but in alright way
  4. Both APIs supported, but DirectInput implementation is terrible and actually unplayable, probably no one tested it (should not have been a category... but it is, unfortunately)
The second one has following popular categories, technically separately for each API:
  1. Directly using USB APIs
  2. Using the actual APIs named
  3. Using WinAPI events (not sure if possible with XInput)

It appears that each and every one of these scenarios can be screwed up, however each in its own different way.

At the moment it seems like it's an actual bug though, so let's wait for a while and see what MS says. If the HID blocking by some random Windows part is actually happening for a "good" reason, then we can start to actually panic.

but it will still probably be fixable with DLL hijacking

except for those poor encrypted sandboxed games

sniff

I think from the OS's perspective, the wireless dongle is the same as USB, since signals are received from the dongle's usb port. I believe I can fix it for USB or USB Dongle, but it seems different for Bluetooth. It's a different device in Device Manager when using it over Bluetooth.

its a different device for the elite as well

when you connect via USB, the xinput device shows up and you can rollback the driver. then when you unplug the USB cable, the xinput device disappears but everything works. If you haven't tried doing this (plugin usb, rollback driver, unplug usb and go back to bluetooth), i would give it a shot

dcx4610

Anyone have an estimated battery life using Bluetooth on the Xbox One S controller yet? Since there's no way to check the battery life, just wondering if anyone has timed it. Any better or worse than WiFi direct?

dcx4610

The Xbox Accessories app lets update the firmware of the controller and view the battery life of the controller but there's a catch. It shows "Plugged in" and doesn't show you the battery level.

If you disconnect the cable, it tells you to plug in the cable and won't detect the controller over Bluetooth. On top of that, once you connect a USB cable, it breaks the the Bluetooth pairing and you have to remove and repair it.

How is Microsoft this incompetent after all of these years?

Moz

Still not working for me, Xbox Support is absolutely useless ("here's a guide on how to connect your controller! Even though it's already connected and you've given me detailed information on the actual problem!") they eventually told me to contact the "phone guys". Who were the guys I started with, who told me to contact the guys on twitter.

Any news at all?

Top Bottom