• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

Still not working for me, Xbox Support is absolutely useless ("here's a guide on how to connect your controller! Even though it's already connected and you've given me detailed information on the actual problem!") they eventually told me to contact the "phone guys". Who were the guys I started with, who told me to contact the guys on twitter.

Any news at all?
Go into the controller in the device manager, update the driver, choose to find it on your PC, pick the 2015/01/01 driver (the previous, working driver)

Moz

Which controller, the xinput or the "xbox wireless"? Neither have a rollback option, but I might be able to find the driver somewhere.

Which controller, the xinput or the "xbox wireless"? Neither have a rollback option, but I might be able to find the driver somewhere.
It's probably called Xbox wireless. The rollback driver option isn't available, no (no idea why). You have to go into update driver option and choose to look on your PC.

Moz

Tried that, I don't have an alternative Xbox driver. Just the one I've already got unfortunately:

ddGpexJ.png

I can switch it to an xinput driver, but then I have two xinput devices and continue to get the double inputs that I had before.

Moz

Thanks but the link doesn't work, I tried in Chrome, IE and Edge (lol) but I just get

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Update Catalog
To use this Web site's full functionality, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

Thanks but the link doesn't work, I tried in Chrome, IE and Edge (lol) but I just get

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Update Catalog
To use this Web site's full functionality, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

It should work in IE, odd.

AaronMT86

Stumbled upon this thread, I did a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro AU (ISO), my X1 controller is working fine. No issues here.

Edit: Nevermind, re-read thread. Yeah, Steam sees my controller as XInput.

Is that "fix" just rolling back to a previous version of the driver?
The version that has been busted for over a year?
And when they tried to fix it early 2016 they just broke other things and were forced to rollback the driver?

The old version of the driver worked reliably its just that its DInput mappings for the Xbox One controller were different from the 360 controller, so games that only use DInput but only expect an Xbox controller (like FF13, and some Unity games) would break (specifically the axis's were mapped differently). The new driver changes it to match the 360 controller... but also seems flaky and some games (and Steam Big Picture) are seeing double controllers or just not working period (although strangely also seems to work fine for some setups).

The old version of the driver worked reliably its just that its DInput mappings for the Xbox One controller were different from the 360 controller, so games that only use DInput but only expect an Xbox controller (like FF13, and some Unity games) would break (specifically the axis's were mapped differently). The new driver changes it to match the 360 controller... but also seems flaky and some games (and Steam Big Picture) are seeing double controllers or just not working period (although strangely also seems to work fine for some setups).
I wonder if we'll get a new driver then, or devs of affected games will just have to change the way they work with controllers.

So how *should* the controller show up in Steam? I've never seen it as anything other than an Xinput device...

It should only show 1 Xinput controller. It's showing two for a lot of people and registering double inputs as a result. Basically breaks big picture mode.

I wonder if we'll get a new driver then, or devs of affected games will just have to change the way they work with controllers.

Someone will find a solid workaround and then in 12-18 months MS will ride to the rescue with an "official" fix that breaks a bunch of other things and the glorious cycle will begin anew.

mcrommert

Banned
I find this so strange...no issues at all here..tested left 4 dead and quidhog and no issues...has anyone suggested deleting all devices and restarting and then re connecting?

MDave

Did the firmware update for the controller in the Xbox Accessories app. And also believe to have the latest driver since installing Anniversary Update.

It doesn't seem to be detected in Unity games at all for me with the latest driver update. They also removed the headphone jack functionality, great. That was going to come in handy for voice chat.

I find this so strange...no issues at all here..tested left 4 dead and quidhog and no issues...has anyone suggested deleting all devices and restarting and then re connecting?
It doesn't break all games. If you get double controllers in Steam BPM settings, you'll have problems in certain games almost certainly.

I have both a standard Xbox One and Xbox One Elite controller.

However, after updating to v1607 of Windows 10 Pro I've noticed that a number of games, which previously were working fine, are now not working properly with the Xbox One Elite controller. These include both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, Beyond Eyes and INSIDE.

The weird thing about the two MUA games is that it WAS broken at launch with non-functional and mismatched buttons (RT didn't work, A was X, X was Y, etc) then 1.2 and 2 GB patches fixed all the issues and I was able to play the game just fine as intended. However, now in the Anniversary update of Windows it is back to how it was before it was patched which is weird.

I loaded the Xbox Accessories app and it showed that I had the latest firmware installed (something ending v2.3.2388.0). The issues occur whether used wirelessly (using the adaptor) or wired.

So I checked the firmware on my standard Xbox One pad and it had v2.3.2381.0, again the latest version with the build differences no doubt being due to it not being an Elite controller.

Anyway, I just loaded up Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which remember is now broken with my Elite controller, and was rather surprised that I was able to skip the logos using A on the standard Xbox One controller! Seems that the standard Xbox One controller works absolutely fine in Windows Anniversary v1607 but the Elite controller doesn't.When I checked the controller menu in the game it shows an Xbox One controller for both the Elite and Standard controller but only the latter works properly in the game.

Bearing in mind, that both controllers are presumably using the SAME driver and I was testing both wirelessly this issue leaves me completely baffled. Maybe the Elite controller needs an updated firmware? At least I know I can use the standard controller for affected games but that is not ideal when I paid £120 for the Elite controller and prefer to that for games!

Terra

Same here, no issues after updating.

Just plug in the adapter, start the controller and pair them with the buttons on each.

Profit.

SpokkX

I have both a standard Xbox One and Xbox One Elite controller.

However, after updating to v1607 of Windows 10 Pro I've noticed that a number of games, which previously were working fine, are now not working properly with the Xbox One Elite controller. These include both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, Beyond Eyes and INSIDE.

The weird thing about the two MUA games is that it WAS broken at launch with non-functional and mismatched buttons (RT didn't work, A was X, X was Y, etc) then 1.2 and 2 GB patches fixed all the issues and I was able to play the game just fine as intended. However, now in the Anniversary update of Windows it is back to how it was before it was patched which is weird.

I loaded the Xbox Accessories app and it showed that I had the latest firmware installed (something ending v2.3.2388.0). The issues occur whether used wirelessly (using the adaptor) or wired.

So I checked the firmware on my standard Xbox One pad and it had v2.3.2381.0, again the latest version with the build differences no doubt being due to it not being an Elite controller.

Anyway, I just loaded up Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which remember is now broken with my Elite controller, and was rather surprised that I was able to skip the logos using A on the standard Xbox One controller! Seems that the standard Xbox One controller works absolutely fine in Windows Anniversary v1607 but the Elite controller doesn't.When I checked the controller menu in the game it shows an Xbox One controller for both the Elite and Standard controller but only the latter works properly in the game.

Bearing in mind, that both controllers are presumably using the SAME driver and I was testing both wirelessly this issue leaves me completely baffled. Maybe the Elite controller needs an updated firmware? At least I know I can use the standard controller for affected games but that is not ideal when I paid £120 for the Elite controller and prefer to that for games!

My elite does not work in INSIDE, Slain! and some other games if i turn it on BEFORE starting the game. If i turn on the controller when the game has started, the controller works..

In other games there are no issues (such as Doom)

Does anyone know why the standard Xbox One controller still works properly in both Marvel Ultimate Alliance games in Windows 10 v1607 but the Elite controller does not? I have not used my standard controller personally for months (other for multiplayer), preferring to use the Elite controller instead and that worked fine with MUA in v1511.

There is only one driver installed for both and I used the same wireless adaptor when testing MUA. Yet the standard controller worked and the Elite controller was back to its previously pre-patch borked state.

I just don't get it!

What makes this issue so aggravating is that the controller support is built into the operating system so I cannot just uninstall the driver, plug both controllers in then reinstall the driver in case something got messed up during the Windows v1607 upgrade. More than likely this is a bug (one of many I've come across since upgrading to the Anniversary build) but it would be nice to be able to at least verify it's not a corrupted driver install.

P.S. Both sfc /scannow and dism /restorehealth both return no errors so I do not believe there's anything wrong with the main system files and I've certainly had no crashes or anything like that since upgrading.

For me the update finally fixed the previous issues with the Xbox One Controller + the wireless adapter. Previously certain games would register the triggers as other random buttons on the controller. Seems to be mostly Unity based games, but even some games using other engines were affected and this was down to a MS driver. TOOK AGES for them to fix it. Not to mention acknowledge the issue.

I reported the Xbox One controller issue with Unity games via their Feedback tool as far back as July 2015 and they never bothered to address it as far as I can tell. Some of the game developers fixed these issues with updates, e.g. Ori and the Blind Forest, but there are still a lot of games that do not work properly with the controller. For example, some games appear to work fine until you need to access a specific part, such as the Store in Tinker: City of Colours, or the sliders move to the left under Settings!!! Then there's games like Beyond Eyes and EVO Mini Racing where the character in the former moves to the left constantly and the car spins on the spot in the latter.

These issues do not happen with the Xbox 360 controller as far as I am aware.

I don't think Microsoft care to be honest,despite claiming to support the PC via all the Xbox integration (secretly I'm sure they'd rather people bought their Xbox console and games for it).

drotahorror

I like how this new update turned on the game DVR and capped my framerate to 60fps in all games without me saying that was cool. It's half refresh too sometimes it drops to 30. Easy to fix but still annoying.

TheExodu5

Banned
I can no longer pair my Xbox One controller to the wireless adapter after the update. Ugh. I tried updating the controller driver but it still won't pair. In fact, I can't get the adapter light to blink at all.

Jin

I can no longer pair my Xbox One controller to the wireless adapter after the update. Ugh. I tried updating the controller driver but it still won't pair. In fact, I can't get the adapter light to blink at all.

Have you tried using wired first? I did that based on someone else's advice and it manage to sync up. I disconnected and it stayed synced wireless.

LostDonkey

Hmm this is weird, but I was having problems with my controller syncing with the wireless adapter as well, before and after the anniversary update.

Unforseen circumstances forced me to have to re install Win 10 after a bsod loop and now the controller works flawlessly every time. No disconnects, no pairing problems, no random flashing etc. It just works now.

I know it's not the perfect solution but maybe back up and give it a try.

EvB

Hmm this is weird, but I was having problems with my controller syncing with the wireless adapter as well, before and after the anniversary update.

Unforseen circumstances forced me to have to re install Win 10 after a bsod loop and now the controller works flawlessly every time. No disconnects, no pairing problems, no random flashing etc. It just works now.

I know it's not the perfect solution but maybe back up and give it a try.

I wonder if the built in factory reset option would achieve be same thing without the data loss?

LostDonkey

I wonder if the built in factory reset option would achieve be same thing without the data loss?

I'm not sure, I'm assuming the re install forced the drivers to be installed again as well and maybe there was a problem with them originally that got fixed.

If the reset option fully removed and reinstalled fresh drivers then I guess it's worth a try. Maybe someone knows for sure who can chip in?

I was having issues last night. Had to unplug the adapter and resync the controller a couple times to get it working.

I hope Microsoft will sort this shit out quickly.

Parsnip

It's a driver issue, so likely it won't appear in a cumulative update.

The previous driver update back in march came in cumulative update as well.

Also, this doesn't actually seem like a xbone driver issue specifically. It seems like on every reboot Win10 does some weird shit with every HID device, which is why people have complained about keyboards losing lights and stuff like that too.
Possibly it's a combination of both, considering it doesn't affect everyone.

But I'm no expert.

Dave_6

Finally updated Win10 on my rig last night so needless to say I was anxious to see if it broke anything. I use a standard Xbox One wireless controller that I just plug into the PC. I tested Rise of the Tomb Raider, Abzu and Forza Apex; all of them still worked fine with the controller. I then tried Inside and the controller wouldn't work with it. I had my Logitech G27 wheel plugged in the whole time and did not try unplugging it to see if that was the problem though.

MDave

For fun I wanted to see if I could use the Xbox One controller over Bluetooth for my Gear VR, figured that would be a great controller for it.

Microsoft don't use the standard Android Gamepad keycode mappings at all ...

The action buttons, triggers and menu buttons are all wrong. Analog sticks and D-Pad is fine though!

Microsoft, please fix this. Half the reason I got this new controller was for that!

Moonstone

I like how this new update turned on the game DVR and capped my framerate to 60fps in all games without me saying that was cool. It's half refresh too sometimes it drops to 30. Easy to fix but still annoying.

Easy to fix if you have an MS account. Xbox App won't start without loggin in.
So in order to fix this, we should create an account, MS?

Registry hack:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
0 is off

What is it likely to appear in?

The previous driver update back in march came in cumulative update as well.

Also, this doesn't actually seem like a xbone driver issue specifically. It seems like on every reboot Win10 does some weird shit with every HID device, which is why people have complained about keyboards losing lights and stuff like that too.
Possibly it's a combination of both, considering it doesn't affect everyone.

Did it? I must have missed that. In previous versions of Windows, stuff like this was patched in driver updates through Windows Update, but it could very well be included in cumulative updates now with Windows 10.

Nzyme32

Steam Client Beta may help with some issues:

Steam Client Beta Update - Aug 10
10 AUGUST - JONP

We have released a new beta update, with the following changes:

General
  • Added button to clear local cache under download settings. This may fix downloads by removing stale or corrupt cached data.
  • Game properties indicate if title is excluded from Family-Sharing
  • Fixed black screen during store checkout or when visiting certain websites
  • Worked around a problem where a recent Windows 10 update could cause Xbox One controllers to send duplicate input
  • Fixed playing free games conflicting with Family-Sharing in some cases

derExperte

Installed the beta and Steam now only shows one pad. So was this whole thing actually somewhat Steam's fault? Quick, someone test Dragon's Dogma.

Durante

Installed the beta and Steam now only shows one pad. So was this whole thing actually somewhat Steam's fault? Quick, someone test Dragon's Dogma.
When one piece of software painstakingly works around a bug introduced in an update to another piece of software, you really shouldn't blame those implementing the workaround.

I'm assuming all these issues still apply when using the new controllers in bluetooth mode too? My shit syncs but I can't use it all all when I try to play Quantum Break... it does even recognize that a controller is connected (gives me KB prompts).

No, they specifically called the beta client update a workaround for a bug caused by the anniversary update. Most likely they would remove the workaround if Microsoft fixes it.

TheExodu5

Banned
My god...I've been happy with Windows for the past several years, but this update. Holy hell. I thought I had automatic updates turned off but apparently I didn't so I'm stuck with it. So much instability since it's been installed.

Update has been great for me. I had to resync my Xbone controller once the update happened, but other than that it's worked fine in the games I've used it in.

dcx4610

My god...I've been happy with Windows for the past several years, but this update. Holy hell. I thought I had automatic updates turned off but apparently I didn't so I'm stuck with it. So much instability since it's been installed.

Welcome to Windows 10. You can't turn off automatic updates. You can defer them for a bit but they WILL update.

Top Bottom