• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

Majukun

having a 360 controller,all i had to do after the update was to re-install the driver for the wireless receiver,and all seems to be ok.what re the games that are supposed to give problems?

Welcome to Windows 10. You can't turn off automatic updates. You can defer them for a bit but they WILL update.
You can use a registry hack to mark your connection as metered preventing updates from being applied automatically. You can also tell Windows to not update drivers.

Really dumb question...

How do i even know if i have the Anniversary update?

My PC updates all the time automatically.

Go to Settings -> System -> About. It will list your version there. 1607 is the Anniversary update.

having a 360 controller,all i had to do after the update was to re-install the driver for the wireless receiver,and all seems to be ok.what re the games that are supposed to give problems?

This problem only affects Xbox One controllers.

dr_rus

Really dumb question...

How do i even know if i have the Anniversary update?

My PC updates all the time automatically.

It's a heavy weight update similar to the likes of updating from Win7 to Win8 or Win7/8 to Win10 in the first place. You'll notice the process.

epmode

You can use a registry hack to mark your connection as metered preventing updates from being applied automatically. You can also tell Windows to not update drivers.

You can even choose to hide certain updates so that Windows Update doesn't install them. ..but unlike earlier versions of Windows, this requires you to download some kind of file from Microsoft to enable. Google will help.

Odd. Mine seems to work fine wired with the anniversary update.

Granted, it didn't at first. I just plugged it into a new USB port and it worked.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was looking to buy a XBox One S controller to replace my old 360 pad but how many issues are there exactly with it and Windows 10 and games? If I ever actually use BT I'll have to get a dongle since I didn't choose a mobo with Blue Tooth when I built my current PC in 2011 so it'll most likely still be connected via a USB cable.

JohngPR

So they haven't patched this? Hopefully they do soon....I just deferred upgrades so hopefully any time before that time period.

JohngPR

You could, yes. But deferring updates will defer ALL updates, including security updates and patches.

Not so, according to MS:

"When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates."

So does this happen to affect other games, other than just steam?

I tried the fix, but it didn't work. (I'm using an elite controller with wireless adapter). Has anyone gotten that combo to work without double input?

Ok 8 pages later what's the current state of affairs? Is this still broken? Is this affecting only XB1 controllers? Wired or wireless?

Social

Wired works, wireless is fucked.

I went back to my 360 controller, no issues using wireless with that one.

The Xbox One controller works normally wired but fucks up a lot using the wireless. Disconnects, buttons not registering correctly etc..

Haven't found a fix...

Hey so, this issue isn't fixed for me. Controller works like a charm for every other game, but I just can't play Dragons Dogma, it detects two xbox one controllers and I get two different inputs at the same time. Reinstalled windows and the problem persist.

I should also mention that this is with a wired controller.

EDIT: Ok, fixed it by rolling back the driver. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this soon.

ktroopa

I just received a 130MB steam update and this issue now seems to be fixed! Only one xinput controller detected in BPM and no more double inputs. :)

Note: im on windows 10 AU

Parsnip

I just received a 130MB steam update and this issue now seems to be fixed! Only one xinput controller detected in BPM and no more double inputs. :)

Steam update only works around the actual problem in the client, MS still needs to fix it so it works everywhere.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

It doesn't fix game input though. Binding of Issac still registers two inputs. :(

Dolobill

I was considering buying Dragon's Dogma since it's on sale on Steam right now, but I guess there's no point with this controller issue. I'm on Bluetooth so rolling back the driver won't do me any good.

robgrab

I was considering buying Dragon's Dogma since it's on sale on Steam right now, but I guess there's no point with this controller issue. I'm on Bluetooth so rolling back the driver won't do me any good.

I'd just started Dragon's Dogma, and was really getting into it, but then the Anniversary Update hit and killed it. If it's a decent price it's worth picking up to play later.

Alexm92

The double Xinputs were just fixed in a steam update. Thought people might like to know.

I'd just started Dragon's Dogma, and was really getting into it, but then the Anniversary Update hit and killed it. If it's a decent price it's worth picking up to play later.
Yep, ditto. About 10 hours in, absolutely loving it and then bam. The only game I was really playing at the time.
The double Xinputs were just fixed in a steam update. Thought people might like to know.

That only fixes Steam itself, it doesn't affect the broken games.

knerl

I reported the Xbox One controller issue with Unity games via their Feedback tool as far back as July 2015 and they never bothered to address it as far as I can tell. Some of the game developers fixed these issues with updates, e.g. Ori and the Blind Forest, but there are still a lot of games that do not work properly with the controller. For example, some games appear to work fine until you need to access a specific part, such as the Store in Tinker: City of Colours, or the sliders move to the left under Settings!!! Then there's games like Beyond Eyes and EVO Mini Racing where the character in the former moves to the left constantly and the car spins on the spot in the latter.

These issues do not happen with the Xbox 360 controller as far as I am aware.

I don't think Microsoft care to be honest,despite claiming to support the PC via all the Xbox integration (secretly I'm sure they'd rather people bought their Xbox console and games for it).

They've been really poor at commenting on the issue, but they have been fiddling with the issue a couple of times. They fixed it back in march I think. Then they fucked it up again and now thanks to the anniversary update it's fixed again. At least in the two Unity based games I have tried. Wasteland 2 DC and Oddworld New 'n Tasty.

Ya this is really annoying some games are fine others are screwed unless you do the disconnect reconnect trick in device manager. You would think these idiots at Microsoft would be on this asap since they want people playing games on PC and Windows 10.

I hope we get an os level fix soon because ds4windows is awesome when it's able to do its job properly.

Ya this is really annoying some games are fine others are screwed unless you do the disconnect reconnect trick in device manager. You would think these idiots at Microsoft would be on this asap since they want people playing games on PC and Windows 10.

I hope we get an os level fix soon because ds4windows is awesome when it's able to do its job properly.

They really just want people to use Windows 10; games are but a means to that end.

My One S controller works with DOOM via bluetooth but not Quantum Break... which used to work when I used the wireless controller adapter. This shit is annoying.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, just ran into this with Dragon's Dogma that I just bought on Steam. :(

I'll see if I can get the driver rollback thing to work.

Edit: Nope. Didn't seem to work and killed the wireless feature (Xbox One Elite with Wireless adapter).

Oh Well. I'll wait for them to patch that and just stick with games where it works fine in the meantime.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Having tons of trouble just rolling back drivers for my Wired Xbox One Elite controller.

From what I can gather, it seems I can use the linked drivers to update my controller listed under XINPUT Compatible HID Device, but it won't accept older drivers when I select it from the Xbox Peripherals menu as an Xbox Elite Controller, they won't go through.

epmode

OK, so this is finally affecting me. Xbox Elite USB controller in N++. The first time I played, it was perfect. After rebooting or relaunching (not sure which affected it), the game detects input coming from Player 2 instead of Player 1. This sucks.

Has Microsoft said ANYTHING about fixing the problem? I can no longer roll back the Anniversary patch.

01DragonFly

Is it normal that I have to re-pair my Elite controller with the dongle every time I reset my PC?
try this
Hit "Windows key + X" on your keyboard to open the Power Menu, Select "Device Manager"

Right click on the actual "Xbox One Wireless Adapter" (under Network Adapters) and select "uninstall". On the next panel check the box "Delete the installed driver".

Unplug/replug the Adapter. It will appear as "XBOX ACC".

Right click on it, Select "Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software"

Windows will (finally) find the lastest drivers, 2x.x

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it might be cute if you include a DO NEVER UPGRADE EVER guide for idiots like me that got windows 10 ,,

this feels like iphone ios with monster hunter all over again

Top Bottom