• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume if you can see other people, even still there will be a number of instances. So its unlikely that two people trying to coordinate would be in the same instance.

Justified

I would assume if you can see other people, even still there will be a number of instances. So its unlikely that two people trying to coordinate would be in the same instance.

Well SM said when you near each other you are in a "lobby" together. So separate instances wouldnt make sense

Oh hey looky what I found

g59ZpK7.png

kevin1025

Banned
How do you get new ships? Everyone offers their ships at like a million units.

You can get them through buying them like you said, or find crashed ships from beacons or exploring planets.

Fixing up a crashed ship can be a little bit of a pain though. The first ship I fixed up was easy enough and I like it a lot. Then I found a really cool looking ship but the resources in that area were slim to none, so I had to retake my old ship and move on.

Anyone know where to find suspension fluid or the blueprint for it? The game tell me to craft antimatter, which I need electron vapor for, and for that, I need suspension fluid, but I don't seem to have a blueprint for it.

I started on a planet, fixed my ship and went to a nearby planet to a beacon where I reacher a space station and received a blueprint for something new for my ship. On the way I named various plants and creatures and uploaded them. I am absolutely filled with questions, which is a nice feeling as I dont have that a lot in games anymore. I just need a few important ones answered:

- saving is done by landing on a new planet or at a 'saving beacon' correct? Not when returning in your ship or whatever.
- and about returning to your ship, i walked like half an hour to get from my ship to the station, do i have to hike all the way back? No shortcuts?
- for now the game is telling me what to do next. By following the 'missions' and naming stuff here and there, i am playing the game in the correct way?
- my mining gun doesnt do anything against attacking creatures. I mostly run into herbivors but this carnivor ripped me a new one until I jumped on a plateau. Do i have to upgrade my gun or buy a new one to fix this?
- big part of my time is just mining for resources so that i can stay alive in toxic air. This is normal? And the limited space I have for it is normal as well?

All in all i feel completely lost when playing this game which is a nice feeling but scary at the same time. Im constantly worried Im not playing the game the right way.

Thanks for anyone that can help out! What a mysterious game :)

kevin1025

Banned
Anyone know where to find suspension fluid or the blueprint for it? The game tell me to craft antimatter, which I need electron vapor for, and for that, I need suspension fluid, but I don't seem to have a blueprint for it.

Suspension fluid can be bought at the buy and sell terminals on space stations.

Jabba

Banned
How do you get new ships? Everyone offers their ships at like a million units.

Depending on your starting planet, find an abundant resource that give you between 20-70k or more per stack on your ship and sell to the trade market. My planets resource is plutonium unfortunately, so 20k per stack. Just started this 15 min ago, I've got 540k from about 160k. I also have to sell my ship stacks also.

In between I'm looking for other stuff too. I've found two ruins and know about twenty words of the dominant planetary species. I can leave, the planet but there's really no reason to at this point. The place is covered with discoveries.

To think one could play this game for an actual long age, say 91 or so and without a search, it would be possible, no one might ever find the same places.

This game would be a fantastic skeleton as a Galactus simulator.

Messed up the math on ship stack on plutonium, it's 60k per 500.

I have a question. Has anyone else encountered extremely strange noises on planets with no life? In the area of space I'm in right now there's low groans and high pitched screams at night time. It sounds like there's something absolutely massive nearby but there's nothing around. Not even in the caves.

Depending on your starting planet, find an abundant resource that give you between 20-70k or more per stack on your ship and sell to the trade market. My planets resource is plutonium unfortunately, so 20k per stack. Just started this 15 min ago, I've got 540k from about 160k. I also have to sell my ship stacks also.

In between I'm looking for other stuff too.

When you find gold you'll be getting hundreds of thousands per run. I was on a planet just loaded with the stuff earlier but I did a couple runs and left since I'm only a few hours in. Don't wanna break the economy too quick.

hughesta

Banned
Still exploring the first planet, the limited inventory is a pain. Also found a Plaque, got all three words around it and completed the little event but it's still glowing purple for me. Any idea what else I could do?

At what point is it safe to start using the pre-order bonus ship?

I'm not bothering with the pre-order bonus ship. I've half an eye on buying a good looking ship, perhaps something that can do the Kessel Run in under 12 persecs ;), from one of the traders who fly into the space stations. Just got to start saving. Saw a nice one for 700,000 units (only 500,000 more to save).

Other than that, coordinated attempt or no, if what was said about the size of the galaxies, especially after the patch made them 10x larger, is true then the chances of meeting up, coordinated or not, this far from the center and this soon should be astronomical. I just don't believe that something isn't going on here.

But even then, if they really are spawning people so close together then why did Sean say what he did about the multiplayer stuff and it being so unlikely that anyone would meet up?

The odds of winning the Euromillions jackpot is 1 in 116,531,800. and there's been occasions when more than one person won the jackpot. Hell given the odds in most lotteries - a quick websearch brings up stories of people winning more than once! (lucky bar stewards!). The thing with random events - two players can conceivably find themselves in relatively close starting points. How many gamers do they have online?

---

Well, I've just discovered the most idealic planet yet - Flume. Flume is very much an Earth like planet, although more water - made up of long chains of islands. Landed by an outpost to be greeted by a swarm of Octicrabs floating past collecting nectar from plants with their claws. As I followed them I happened upon a hansome Staggadom standing in the clearing.

Game paused there, This is the first landing in my third star system - I could be here a while.

---

Is the path to the center something we can stray from and come back to? I put the map into free explore mode and choose a star almost at random to visit. I would like to get onto a path into the center - eventually, though.

---

I've spotted 5 or 6 systems in the scanner that have been discovered by other people. So far though they are all too far out of my hyperdrive range, so I won't be visiting other peoples worlds any time soon.

It's a little sad, I'd like to think some of you guys might stumble upon one or two of my worlds, especially Flume. If you're passing this way it's worth a visit!

Any word if the Hello Games team have hidden like, 1 or 2 super rare things on only a single planet?

Imagine running across an Easter Egg that can only be found on 1 planet. Might be fun to keep an eye out for that sort of stuff.

Wil348

I've been having a few technical issues myself that really tested my patience with the game. The first was my first save getting fucked by the pre order ship progression bug, then on my second save my ship got stuck in a tree and there was no way of getting it out, even letting the ship destroy itself didn't do anything. Tried again a third time and the game hard crashed my PS4, but I've been progressing through this save and enjoying it a bit more than before. Still, this is the most problematic launch tech-wise I've experienced in a long time (not including server issues in online games, I mean things like glitches and crashes).

Field

I accidentally fell into a hole in the ground and found huge underground cave. I decided to explore there found a lot of gold and plutonium which I was looking for. But then I couldn't find the exit again. Spent probably 10-15 minutes until I finally found another exit

mossypne

I have a question. Has anyone else encountered extremely strange noises on planets with no life? In the area of space I'm in right now there's low groans and high pitched screams at night time. It sounds like there's something absolutely massive nearby but there's nothing around. Not even in the caves.

The whales sounds? Yeah i ahve too

Slayven

started on a pretty chill planet, but at night. No hell hole. I can see how you go to do five mintues in the game and end up losing 2 hours

I feel like I'm not playing the game right. I've put about 10 hours into the game and I'm on my 6th solar system. All in all I've probably one gotten 100u closer to the center I'm still millions away.

What's up with this at this rate i'll never get there

Anyone have any tips for finding animals? Have one left to complete a planet and cannot find it :/ Even found a new one and the game said that it was already found so it didn't count

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
  • The known methods of saving are as follows:
    • Exiting your ship (no matter where). If you're on a space station and you've done some business since arriving but want to save and quit you can just get in and out of your ship.
    • Interacting with a physical save point
    • Activating a waypoint
  • Triangle switches between weapon and mining mode on your multitool. These are separate installed technologies.
  • In your inventory, Triangle can send things from your suit to your ship no matter where you are, and your ship to your suit if you're in close range. Your ship can hold larger stacks of resources so this is incredibly helpful. Inside a space station you are always in range to transfer from your ship, which is great for trading.
  • If you jetpack against a vertical surface, you can climb infinitely.
  • The red "shield" icon in the lower right indicates inventory full.
  • You have two separate scanners on your multitool: an area scan (for resources, POIs, etc) on L3, and a tracker vision mode (for creatures and certain other discoveries) activated by holding L2. Both of these are disabled when the game starts and must be repaired. You can also use the area scan from your ship either in-atmosphere or in space.
  • Learn to boost dash! Boost dashing is super crucial and fun as hell, get the hang of it ASAP. It dramatically improves your movement speed and capabilities on the ground.
    You want to Melee (R1) + Jetpack (hold X) for a big momentum burst. Sprint, then Melee + Jetpack for the biggest of all. You can really cover some distance this way and jump some big chasms. You can maintain momentum as long as you have jetpack charge.

I have seen "slow movement speed" as one of the most oft-cited complaints so far. IMO this is completely solved with this trick and on-foot movement speed doesn't need to be adjusted at all.

GIF Courtesy of Moa:
    ncuz9Kx.gif
  • Consider switching L3 and R3 in your PS4 accessibility options. I don't like Sprint on R3 at all. Just a personal preference though. On PC, I've also switched L1 and A/X to be able to jump and boost without using the right thumb (Bumper Jumper controls).
  • Your mining laser should never overheat- when your bar turns red, remove your finger from the trigger for a second and then squeeze it again (you don't have to wait for it to "cool back down"). Play with the trigger until you get the rhythm.
  • Basic elements needed on hand for survival and flights are:

Plutonium for Launch
    Thamium-9 for Pulse Jumps
    Zinc, Titanium or Shielding Shards for Hazard Protection
    Any isotope (Carbon, Plutonium, Thamium-9) for charging Life Support, Mining Tools and Weapons
    Any Oxide (i.e. Iron) for your ship's Deflector
  • The different types of acceleration/boost are as follows:
    R2 is simple acceleration, for distances measured in feet/meters.
    Circle is a boost, for distances measured in miles/kilometers.
    L1+R1 is Pulse Jump, and can only be done in the outer atmosphere or space. It's for distances in the hundreds of thousands of kilometers.
    Down on the D-pad brings up the galatic map for warp jumps, i.e. distances measured in light years.
  • When you pulse jump, you've effectively "laid in a course" for your current destination/direction. You can take your fingers off all the buttons and access your menus while you cruise. Particularly great for organizing your stacks on the journey between surface and space station.
  • On the Galactic Map, hit R1 to enter "Free Exploration" mode. While in this mode, you can mark any system with a waypoint by selecting it and pressing Square to make it easier to find.
  • The first narrative story moment is available immediately upon starting the game and can be missed.
    There is a beacon next to your ship on the ground you can interact with. It will offer you a choice. It can also be ignored altogether. The implications of this are not completely clear yet but it seems like you may be locked out of the "Atlas path" of progression if you make the obvious negative choice.
  • Your starting inventory is very limited in your Exosuit, and you may want to expand it as soon as possible. Seek out Drop Pods on planets. If you find a signal scanner (bright tall red beam of light), you can craft a Bypass Chip in your inventory and choose "Shelter" from the scanner. Usually it will point you straight toward a drop pod. You will also just come to recognize the shape of drop pods and sometimes notice them. Once you obtain the AtlasPass, you can also obtain a suit upgrade in each new system you visit in its space station.
  • Likewise, you can seek out crashed ships by selecting Transmission from signal scanners and seeking out marked Transmission Towers.
  • You can strip crashed ships you don't want for parts. Just land next to it, accept the new ship, dismantle everything in it, turn around and re-accept your old ship.
  • On your inventory screens, upgrades can be placed adjacent to one another, and/or the related technology, to apply bonuses. There will be a colored outline around the connected tech if done correctly.

On Multi-tools, both upgrades and basic tech can be dismantled (you will receive some of the mats for crafting back) and reordered. On ships, the base tech cannot be dismantled, so plan accordingly.
  • At trading inventories in space stations, a gold star by an item means that they are interested in it and will pay a premium for it. Individual traders in ships may have different wants/needs than the space station console in that system.
  • Follow theses instructions to set a waypoint on a planet POI
  • There is some weirdness with the preorder ship and the hyperdrive part of the tutorial quests.

Basically, once you get into space you'll have quests directing you toward getting a functional and fueled hyperdrive. But if you redeem the preorder ship, it comes with a working hyperdrive and enough fuel to make a single jump. Meanwhile the quest is intended to get you to acquire the recipe for the hyperdrive.

To know if you are impacted by the bug, go check a space station and see if the ships for sale have hyperdrives. If not, no ships that spawn for sale nor crashed ships will not have hyperdrives, so switching can strand you in your system.

If you get into this situation, finding the hyperdrive blueprints recipe should get everything back on track. You may or may not have to use your first jump (so the game gets back to "need to fuel the hyperdrive" state). If you see a beacon quest marker go to it; the recipe may be found at outputs. Some have reported that switching to a crashed ship will also trigger the quest.

If you cannot find the hyperdrive blueprints, you need to restart your save. You can either accept the preorder ship immediately or play through the basic quests until you are absolutely certain you can acquire a new ship with a hyperdrive before accepting the preorder ship.

I feel like I'm not playing the game right. I've put about 10 hours into the game and I'm on my 6th solar system. All in all I've probably one gotten 100u closer to the center I'm still millions away.

What's up with this at this rate i'll never get there
I imagine you won't be travelling closer to the center the exact same way forever...

edit: does anybody else have any issues with looking around? It feels really, "sticky" at times, like my view is trying to soft lock onto something when im looking around, making it really jumpy and not smooth. Only issue I have so far...

edit2: also there seems to be a bug with the mining laser, no matter how much it heats up, if you just let go of R2 for a second and then press again it'll instantly cool all the way down. I have no cooling upgrades installed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom