• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

Why is there no Sega CD on the VC? There is Turbo CD. I wish we can get Snatcher on the service. Not many people have played this kick ass game.

sfog

ESRB update:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Platform: Nintendo DSi

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence, Suggestive Themes

Rating summary:
This is a side-scrolling action game in which players assume the role of a genie that explores a whimsical fantasy world and attempts to foil the plans of evil pirates. Players use magical weapons such as orbiting spiked balls, flames, and electrical clouds to defeat enemies (e.g., zombies, skeletons, slime). Most enemies disappear after being struck; some burst into bones when defeated. Some female characters are depicted with exaggerated-size breasts that jiggle slightly during gameplay. Players are able to view still-images of characters in bikinis, and dialogue includes references such as "JUGS are always filled goodies, and come in all shapes and sizes!" and "Hoist my booty through the roof!" One character briefly discusses how emptying his bowels helped him to make off with treasure.

What with the recent 30th anniversary and all, I was kind of hoping for some Pac-Man to show up today. The only ESRB rating for "Pac-Man" I see for Wii, though, is Pac-Man. NES version was released a long time ago. If they were to do a VC Arcade version would it end up listed separately at esrb.org somehow?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JoshuaJSlone said:
What with the recent 30th anniversary and all, I was kind of hoping for some Pac-Man to show up today. The only ESRB rating for "Pac-Man" I see for Wii, though, is Pac-Man. NES version was released a long time ago. If they were to do a VC Arcade version would it end up listed separately at esrb.org somehow?

I'm still amazed by Namco's continued refusal to port Pac-Man Championship Edition to WiiWare. I mean, it's hitting everything else at this point, isn't it?

DDayton

Once again, it's time for everyone's favorite game... what's coming to Virtual Console today? (Hopefully)

Nintendo 1st party titles (produced or holding the rights to) that have yet to appear on VC.

----------

NES
Clu Clu Land "D" (The Disk System sequel - released in North America in Animal Crossing)
Devil World (A Euro release, so....)
Dr. Mario
Golf
Pro Wrestling
HAL Titles: Adventures of Lolo 3 , Air Fortress , Day Dreamin' Davey , Rollerball , Vegas Dream

SNES
Earthbound
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Play Action Football
Tetris Attack (Needs a title screen hack to remove Tetris logo)
Wario's Woods
HAL Titles: Arcana, Hal's Hole in One Golf, Hyperzone

N64
Cruis'n Exotica (both Cruis'n titles were -published- by Nintendo.)
Cruis'n World (unsure as to whether they retained any rights to titles OTHER than Cruis'n USA)
Diddy Kong Racing (Possibly unlikely due to presence of Rare characters)
Donkey Kong 64 (small chance of a problem due to presence of Jetpack)
Dr. Mario 64
Excitebike 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Tetrisphere

-------
The following titles are also unreleased, but due to licensing issues or peripheral use all seem REALLY doubtful.

NES
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
Duck Hunt
Gumshoe
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Short Order & Eggsplode
Stack-Up
To The Earth
Wild Gunman

SNES
Battleclash
Mario Paint
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
Super Scope 6
Yoshi's Safari

N64
Hey You, Pikachu!

Licensed or Non-Nintendo Developed Games (Other than Rare titles)
NES
Kung Fu
Popeye
Tetris
Tetris 2

SNES
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
Major League Baseball (Ken Griffey)
Tin Star
Uniracers

N64
Goldeneye 007
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
Major League Baseball
NBA Courtside
NBA Courtside 2
Ridge Racer 64

Compilations
Donkey Kong Classics
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
Tetris & Dr. Mario

DavidDayton said:
I'm still amazed by Namco's continued refusal to port Pac-Man Championship Edition to WiiWare. I mean, it's hitting everything else at this point, isn't it?

Microsoft have exclusive rights to console releases of Pacman CE. It could always hit DSiware, but not Wii Ware.

Edit: As if we're getting another Nintendo game today. Fat chance :lol

If we get a VC game today, I'd say the chances are that it's gonna be Wild Guns (Already has an ESRB rating)

DDayton

Nuclear Muffin said:
Microsoft have exclusive rights to console releases of Pacman CE. It could always hit DSiware, but not Wii Ware.
How silly of them. That would explain the whole "iPhone and Android" version thing, then.

Edit: As if we're getting another Nintendo game today. Fat chance :lol

If we get a VC game today, I'd say the chances are that it's gonna be Wild Guns (Already has an ESRB rating)
We've gotten titles before without known ESRB ratings, haven't we?

Instead of Tetris Attack, I secretly hope they release Panel de Pon. Sure, no familiar Mario characters, but 1, with the inclusion of the missing music, and 2, Lip and her friends being included, it'd be more interesting.

DavidDayton said:
Donkey Kong 64 (small chance of a problem due to presence of Jetpack)
Eh? What's wrong with Jetpack where? Is it trademarked?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why would you do that? said:
Eh? What's wrong with Jetpack where? Is it trademarked?

The Rare game Jetpac is a part of the game, so there would be some issues with bringing Dk64 to the VC.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: NINTENDO'S DOWNLOADABLE GAMES SEEK TO KEEP YOU OCCUPIED

May 24, 2010

This week the Nintendo DSiWare™ service asks players to try their hands at a number of divergent occupations. You might pilot a ship in Metal Torrent™ or try a bluff at the poker table in World Poker Tour Texas Hold 'Em. Once you master those, you can try your hand at solving transportation problems through deductive reasoning or go on a hunt for the notorious Jack the Ripper. Over on the WiiWare™ service, things get a little more "natural." You might play as a monkey or as a unit of DNA. You can even become a trippy beam of light in ArtStyle™: light trax™, the latest title in the critically-acclaimed Art Style series. Don't forget to download the hilarious new Photo Dojo™ game, available for zero Nintendo DSi Points through June 10 (the game will require 200 Nintendo DSi Points for download as of June 11).

This week also brings new additions to the "Big Name Games" section of the WarioWare™: D.I.Y. series, which features downloadable microgames from some of the industry's most talented figures. This week's featured game, Funky Boxing, was created by Chris Slate, editor in chief of Nintendo Power™ magazine. Funky Boxing is an homage to Punch-Out!! ™ and asks players to score three hits on the Champ. New "Big Name Games" will be added every Monday through July 26, all available to download for zero Nintendo DSi Points™ to anyone with broadband Internet access and a copy of either WarioWare: D.I.Y. for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase software for the WiiWare service. Visit the Nintendo Channel on your Wii™ system today to learn more about these games.

Nintendo DSiWare

Metal Torrent
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Prepare for a high level of intensity as you pilot a solo ship deep into enemy space in this vertically scrolling shooter. Battle wave after wave of relentless attackers aiming to do one thing - destroy you! Your goal, beyond mere survival, is simple: Get the highest score possible and earn bragging rights in online leaderboards. Two powerful fighters are at your disposal: the Accipiter and Bateleur, tailored for beginner or expert players. Progress through eight phases of action and take out enemies by tactically using your weapons: an unlimited-fire blaster weapon available to both ships and an energy-consuming special weapon unique to each craft. Absorb energy cubes from destroyed enemies to replenish your energy gauge and increase your score. Collect a series of consecutive cubes to create a chain and boost your score even higher. Choose from pattern or random modes to vary the level of challenge, but the real indication of skill comes from competing with players around the world for the highest score possible. Use Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection to upload your score to the online leaderboards to see where you stack up or even view replays of top-ranking players' games and study their secrets. Do you have what it takes to be the best?

World Poker Tour Texas Hold 'Em
Publisher: Hands-On Mobile
Players: 1-6
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Simulated Gambling
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Play like the pros in World Poker Tour Texas Hold 'Em on the Nintendo DSiWare service, the official game tested and approved by the experts at the World Poker Tour. Whether you're just learning to play or you're an old-school player wanting to hook some fish, Texas Hold 'Em has tables for all players. Choose to play solo in two unique tournaments designed specifically for the Nintendo DSiWare version or use a local wireless connection and play with your friends and take down monster pots. The action is in your hands in one of the most authentic poker games ever brought to the Nintendo DSi system.

Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper
Publisher: Virtual Playground
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Blood, Mild Sexual Themes, Violent References
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper - the fabulous, chart-topping hidden-object game with amazing graphics is now available on the Nintendo DSiWare service. One of the first and best games of its type, Jack the Ripper features numerous atmospheric 3-D locations and oodles of hidden objects to find. The realism of the scenes and the accuracy of the storyline will fascinate all ages from young teen to adult. Travel back to 1880s London to help Scotland Yard's detectives solve the crime of the century. Visit world-famous landmarks such as Piccadilly Circus and Buckingham Palace. Search crime scenes and solve mini puzzles in your hunt for clues. Was Jack a doctor, a royal prince, a barber or something else? Was he mad? This game will tell you. Enjoy hours and hours of game play in this truly absorbing game. Whether you are an experienced player or a newbie, once you start your investigation, you will be on an adventure you won't want to stop - until you discover Jack the Ripper's true identity, that is.

Advanced Circuits
Publisher: BiP media
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Whether with a train, a car or a tank, are you ready for a new challenge? This brain-boggling puzzle game will put your powers of deduction to the test. Complete the circuits by connecting squares on the game board with pieces of track. Some pieces of track are already shown on the board at the beginning of the game to give you a head start. There is only one solution to each puzzle. The rules are simple but the challenges are tough.

* Challenge mode features 60 predefined game boards of increasing difficulty.
* Free Play mode lets you select the game board size and practice on any number of randomly generated puzzles.
* 72 awards to be won.
* Also features a tutorial, hints and tips and even the solution if you feel like giving up.

WiiWare

ArtStyle: light trax
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Art Style: light trax takes racing to whole new (and very surreal) levels as you control a white beam of light moving perpetually forward while your viewpoint shifts between 2-D and 3-D perspectives. Start by choosing one of the two main modes of game play, each with its own distinct goal. In light tours mode, you vie with other light beams for the most points in a three-course racing tour. Watch out for obstacles, use items and strategically use your dash ability to finish first. In freeway mode, your objective is to set a high score by traveling the greatest distance within a set amount of time. Mastering the intricacies of each setting is crucial: you'll have to alternate between them in order to progress through the game and unlock all of its modes. With precise controls packed in and a driving techno soundtrack, Art Style: light trax offers an experience unlike any other. Are you ready to compete in a mind-bending race at the speed of light? Games in the Art Style series feature elegant design, polished graphics and pick-up-and-play controls, creating an experience focused purely on fun and engaging game play. For more information about Art Style: light trax and other games in the Art Style series, please visit artstyle.nintendo.com.

Manic Monkey Mayhem
Publisher: The Code Monkeys Ltd.
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Controlling one of eight monkeys, you will do battle with up to seven others across eight differently themed landscapes. In single player, battle through three increasingly difficult campaigns of missions ranging from survival to coconut fights, or have a one-off battle against the clock as a team or in a standard deathmatch. Connect additional Wii Remote™ controllers (each sold separately) to battle against up to three additional players or compete against anyone or your friends using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Connect an optional Wii Balance Board™ accessory to add more mayhem to the fun.

Viral Survival™
Publisher: NIS America
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Viral Survival is an "escape" action game where you control a special DNA unit and dodge through enemy virus attacks. If you save a friendly DNA unit they will connect to you, creating a tail. The more you save, the higher point total you will accumulate. There are also four other game modes, including one where you can shoot the enemy down and compete for number of kills, and a time attack mode to save 128 DNA units in the shortest time possible. For all five game modes your score can be ranked online. Try your best to become number one in the world.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Hobbun

These weeks of no VC are getting tiring. Yes, we got Kirby last week, but we are getting more weeks lately of no VC than having it.

Darn, I was kind of hoping they'd add multiplayer to Dotstream/Light Trax. Still buying. Art Style + Metal Torrent + that Nippon Ichi game make this a good week, but of course people will just ignore them and bitch about the lack of VC.

toythatkills said:
Is there owt good I can do with 700 points on WiiWare or VC? Just got shop access back after a year or so...
Across VC and WiiWare there are probably something like 300 games within that price range. Something must be up your alley.

bryehn

Art Style, Metal Torrent and maybe WPT for me this week.

Picked up Looksley's (sp?) last week and both me and my better half were having a hell of a time getting it to work.

radcliff

Where are all the 3rd party games for each system? There are some serious omissions such as NES: Megaman 5 -6, Bionic Commando, Contra, Metal Gear, Rygar, Double Dragon II, Baseball Stars, SNES: Demon’s Crest, Mortal Kombat II, Magic Sword, Knights of the Round, King of the Dragon, Captain Commando, Megaman X, Actraiser 2, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Genesis: Strider, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Contra: Hard Corp. There shouldn’t be any issues with these games, so where are they?

radcliff said:
Where are all the 3rd party games for each system? There are some serious omissions such as NES: Megaman 5 -6, Bionic Commando, Contra, Metal Gear, Rygar, Double Dragon II, Baseball Stars, SNES: Demon’s Crest, Mortal Kombat II, Magic Sword, Knights of the Round, King of the Dragon, Captain Commando, Megaman X, Actraiser 2, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Genesis: Strider, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Contra: Hard Corp. There shouldn’t be any issues with these games, so where are they?

In order:

NES --

MM5-6 should come in time, just as the first three did; Bionic Commando seems to have been fritzed due to either an issue between Capcom and Nintendo when Rearmed was released or a problem with content; Contra should come eventually; Metal Gear has already hit the Japanese MSX catalogue and may come out eventually; Rygar is out in arcade form, so may arrive later; DDII, Baseball Stars - no idea.

SNES --

Mega Man X may come, but likely only after the NES titles; FFIII and CT are up in the air, but I'd expect to see them at some point; the rest I'm not sure of, but a limited release schedule prob. means they're low down the pole.

Genesis --

CV: Bloodlines is likely now that nearly all CV games are out there, as is Contra: HC. Strider... dunno?

radcliff said:
Mega Man 5 & 6 will come sooner or later. Bionic Commando, Capcom wanted it up, Nintendo said no because they were having a little bitchfit, no idea about Contra, Kojima doesn't like Metal Gear NES so he's probably said no, no idea about Rygar, Double Dragon is stuck in licensing hell right now, no idea about Baseball Stars, no idea about Demon's Crest, apparently Sony's got an exclusive on MK2? also could be licensing hell due to Midway's collapse (plus there are Acclaim logos and stuff they'd probably have to get rid of), no idea about most of the Capcom stuff, Actraiser 2 is pretty low profile and probably pretty low on SE's priorities, FF3/6 SE is probably still sure they could sell by itself for $30-40, Chrono Trigger SE *are* selling by itself for $40, Strider is licensing hell, no idea about Bloodlines, no idea about Contra.

MoxManiac

I expect Chrono Trigger only after they've exhusted as much sales as they can get out of the DS game.

And segata, CT on DS has been $20 MSRP for quite a while.

Hobbun

DavidDayton said:
Once again, it's time for everyone's favorite game...

Lufia 1 & 2
Dragon Warrior 1-4
Crystalis
Soul Blazer series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma)
Faxanadu

There are more that I’d be happy to see, but I’d be content with only these.

MoxManiac said:
I expect Chrono Trigger only after they've exhusted as much sales as they can get out of the DS game.

And segata, CT on DS has been $20 MSRP for quite a while.
Ah, didn't know. I'm in Japania where they still try to charge top dollar for it.

sfog

Mockingbird said:
are the 3d perspective stages new to lighttrax? as in, not in the bit generations title?

I believe so. The GBA title was strictly a 2D side-scrolling affair.

Baron

At last, Metal Torrent. Been waiting for this release all year. Too bad I spent all my banked points a few weeks ago on Starship Defense and Mr. Driller. I'll have to buy some more.

Somnid

If you don't find it on the OFLC database or as a previous release in Japan why would you ever expect it to release in the US? We've been doing this for how many years?

I can't think of any game in the release queue aside from Aero the Acrobat.

Mockingbird said:
are the 3d perspective stages new to lighttrax? as in, not in the bit generations title?

Absolutely. Dotstream had extremely minimalist retro 2d graphics.
2uf64g3.png

Bentendo

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I really want to pick up ArtStyle: light trax, but i have to first finish Bit.Trip.Runner

You had better just get it now. Bit.Trip.RUNNER is impossible to beat. :lol

leroy hacker said:
Absolutely. Dotstream had extremely minimalist retro 2d graphics.
2uf64g3.png

It's so beautiful.

For a comparison shot, here's lighttrax and the original:

2uf64g3.png

Light_trax.jpg

Real Crimes: Jack the Ripper

The realism of the scenes and the accuracy of the storyline will fascinate all ages from young teen to adult. Travel back to 1880s London to help Scotland Yard's detectives solve the crime of the century.
So if it's so realistic and accurate, will the game end with you failing to solve the crime?

OMG Aero

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but I recently did the Wii connection ambassador thing with my cousin and it turns out she doesn't want the 500 points she gained from it so I can use her Wii to gift me a 500 point game.
Are there any good 500 point Wii Ware games anyone would recommend or should I just get myself a NES game?

seady

Isn't Viral Survival suppose to be pretty good? It had pretty great coverage earlier. Suprise it is so cheap too.

OMG Aero said:
Not sure if this is the right thread or not but I recently did the Wii connection ambassador thing with my cousin and it turns out she doesn't want the 500 points she gained from it so I can use her Wii to gift me a 500 point game.
Are there any good 500 point Wii Ware games anyone would recommend or should I just get myself a NES game?
Its difficult to do these things without tailoring it to your needs so to speak. I'll say the following though:
The best 500 Point WiiWare games (by my eyes) are mainly Puzzle games but at that they are hardly the best ones the service has to offer (those tend to be 600 points...). There is also Muscle March.

There are lots of great NES games though but considering you are in Europe (unless the ambassador program hit the US) you have to bear in mind the shoddy PAL conversions (which to me are a deterrent form playing).

An alternate route (though this is probably more hassle than this is worth, for both parties) is to add another 1000 points giving you 1500 to spend which gives you more flexibility (700+800 e.g.Chronos Twins DX*+Bit Trip Runner, 900+600 e.g.Toki Tori*+ArtStyle: Cubello) but the 2 main price points you can do (700 or 900) don't have many games available.
*-Yes, these are the European prices. US players have to pay more. Guess like how us Europeans pay 200 points more if Plus is in the title.

Lijik

nincompoop said:
Darn, I was kind of hoping they'd add multiplayer to Dotstream/Light Trax. Still buying. Art Style + Metal Torrent + that Nippon Ichi game make this a good week, but of course people will just ignore them and bitch about the lack of VC.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Metal Torrent and Light Trax seem cool. I think I'll pick those up tomorrow.
Anyone have impressions for Viral Survival? The description wasn't all that descriptive.

Oli

Aaron Strife said:
Yoshi's Island and Earthbound not being on VC by now is a travesty.

As I recall Earthbound has some legal hurdles surrounding it, and will unfortunately [likely] never come to VC.

Top Bottom