• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Timedog said:
I think after my disappointing tourney loss(I am so mad that I lost to N3ss twice), I'm gonna have to retire my Ryu. I'm not getting any better on stick playing the same character and doing the same moves, and I have no clue what I can do to get better with him. I feel like if I learn other characters and get good at doing different movements, it will up my stick chops overall, and I'll be able to go back to Ryu and do FADC ultra a lot easier, opening up a new game with him.

I'm thinking about Ibuki cause she's kind of fun and hard. I also like Abel cause he has the best random ultra in the game. Still haven't even played with Guy, T. Hawk, Dee Jay, Adon, Cody, or Hakan yet. Dudley is too easy and kind of shitty. I don't know what is going on with Juri yet, and Makoto is fun but sucks donkey dicks.

Watch out for Timebuki on XBL, you sloppy whore.

Don't know the Adon match at ALL. I think it was still close though. I'll rematch whenever with my new secondary Ryu.
Like TurtleSnatcher said, you're actually pretty good. I see a lotta trash Ryus and I can tell you have a good thought process behind your moves.

zlatko

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Hah I dunno Timedog... you get so much shit from people for being 'Timedog' but man you know some of Ryu's long links into Hadoken really well.

You just need to work on bar management then you can FADC or attempt it more often. You seem to use your bar so much in games so quickly that you almost never get to practice in a real competitive environment. Other then that.. you have a solid Ryu. Real talk yo.

Yeah I'll chime in here too that your Ryu is solid. From our match ups though you suck at blocking cross ups. You 1/5 times will block it and you manage to allow a lot of free jump ins. You don't have to shoryuken everytime for it either since Ryu has down + HP to anti air stuff people right ? I agree with Turtle that you could use your meter better.

If you do want to fiddle around with another character though I sort of don't recommend Ibuki for you. She's got low health and you need to be god like at sick combos,etc. Of the new 10 characters she's def. going to give you the most trouble. If you took your ability though of getting good links to Cody you could def. gain from it. Plus, since Cody has no good wake up options it makes you have to block cross ups even better. Your defense game will grow playing him, but so will your ability to dole out jiggatons of damage.

Or if you want some free wins then pick up Rufus. :lol

I agree on the cross up notion for you Timedog.

You seem to struggle agst cross ups.

You want to reversal everything which you cant. Sometimes you gotta block and react after. You ate almost 90% of Zangiefs cross ups when Farms played you.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
zlatko said:
Yeah I'll chime in here too that your Ryu is solid. From our match ups though you suck at blocking cross ups. You 1/5 times will block it and you manage to allow a lot of free jump ins. You don't have to shoryuken everytime for it either since Ryu has down + HP to anti air stuff people right ? I agree with Turtle that you could use your meter better.

If you do want to fiddle around with another character though I sort of don't recommend Ibuki for you. She's got low health and you need to be god like at sick combos,etc. Of the new 10 characters she's def. going to give you the most trouble. If you took your ability though of getting good links to Cody you could def. gain from it. Plus, since Cody has no good wake up options it makes you have to block cross ups even better. Your defense game will grow playing him, but so will your ability to dole out jiggatons of damage.

Or if you want some free wins then pick up Rufus. :lol

I was practicing the inputs for autocorrect DP against your Adon but it was never coming out. In a competitive match I'd never not block like of those cross up combos in a row.

D. hp is not good vs. cross ups. Autocorrect DP is good if you can get it down especially the EX version, st. hp is good vs a select few moves, cr. mk is REALLY good vs some moves. Need to learn if any of these options work on Adon's cross up.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I agree on the cross up notion for you Timedog.

You seem to struggle agst cross ups.

You want to reversal everything which you cant. Sometimes you gotta block and react after. You ate almost 90% of Zangiefs cross ups when Farms played you.

Same. Testing out autocorrect dp (f, d, db + p). Only ones that seemed to work were EX ones on Zangief's splashes.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
WHOA. Ibuki's qcb kick is weird.

lk - comes out the quickest, combos easiest, DOES THE MOST DAMAGE????

mk, hk - not as comboable (is hk even comboable at all???), do worse damage.

I don't get it.

Joekage

Timedog, just do what all good ryu players do. Wait till they cross you up and then mash dp. If they catch on, keep doing it.. because there's always that moment where they are like...

Surely he won't do it again....

Kajiba

Joekage said:
Timedog, just do what all good ryu players do. Wait till they cross you up and then mash dp. If they catch on, keep doing it.. because there's always that moment where they are like...

:lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Joekage said:

You've put into words why I cant get any better, in fact I'm getting worse, by playing against randoms on xbl :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Corky said:
You've put into words why I cant get any better, in fact I'm getting worse, by playing against randoms on xbl :(

What you need vs random scrubs is a way to win as effortlessly as possible versus them, and a way to recognize scrubs quickly. Turtling is the best counter to scrubs usually, as most of them attack wildly. (not always)

One thing I was told by someone really good once- "You gotta remember that the game you're playing, and the game they're playing, are not the same game. Don't play their game."

In other words- don't assume they're going to respect what you can do.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
arstal said:
What you need vs random scrubs is a way to win as effortlessly as possible versus them, and a way to recognize scrubs quickly. Turtling is the best counter to scrubs usually, as most of them attack wildly. (not always)

One thing I was told by someone really good once- "You gotta remember that the game you're playing, and the game they're playing, are not the same game. Don't play their game."

In other words- don't assume they're going to respect what you can do.

oh by all means this I realize, picking Balrog and doing NOTHING but downback + fierce nets me a winrate of like 99% against random scrubs. But thats not the game I want to play, which in turn makes me to try stuff out which in turn makes me eat random ultras which makes me wanna break the game....

Hey Timedog, since you seem main Ryu, I have a question for you regarding links.

Do you piano the 3xlp, c.mk xx hado?

or the 3x c.lp follwed by sweep.

I seem to have trouble with consistency getting either the c.mk or the sweep.

Thanks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok, what's going on? Why can't I combo headbutt with Balrogs super? I'm timing it right but Balrogs fists just goes through the body.

Threi

notag
Yoshichan said:
Ok, what's going on? Why can't I combo headbutt with Balrogs super? I'm timing it right but Balrogs fists just goes through the body.
kkkkk

first 3 hit, 4th whiffs, last one hits.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Threi said:
kkkkk

first 3 hit, 4th whiffs, last one hits.
Love you! Thank you :)

BotoxAgent said:
sanford must be feeling real salty right now :-(
The loss to Inthul will just drive him to become better, and he'll return stronger and scarier than ever. That's the way Sanford operates. Like that guy said on the SRK podcast, he's a Super Saiyan.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bigmit3737 said:
Hey Timedog, since you seem main Ryu, I have a question for you regarding links.

Do you piano the 3xlp, c.mk xx hado?

or the 3x c.lp follwed by sweep.

I seem to have trouble with consistency getting either the c.mk or the sweep.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by piano. I thought "pianoing" was rolling your fingers across all the punch (or kick) buttons to have a better chance at doing a reversal on wake up, or after block stun in games where reversals are super hard, such as HD Remix.

I don't do any sort of weird stuff to make links easier such as plinking or double tapping. I just try to get the timing down. I learn combo timing by looking at the hit animation of the opponent and learning when to press the next button based off that animation, as well as getting the feel of the button presses down. It's tactile, and visual, but online the visual part goes out the window cause lag messes up my visual timing.

For some reason, I feel like in that second combo, the one highlighted, if you change the last lp into a standing lp it makes the sweep easier to hit. I don't know if this is backed up by frame data, but it's just easier for me that way. Maybe it's a visual thing.

Also, for the first combo with the cr. mk link, learn when to use cr. mp or cr. hp in place of the cr. mk, cause those are both much easier links, but you need to be somewhat close to the opponent for those to hit. If you do 3x cr. lp, it will probably push you too far away to use any link except cr. mk. So I would do 2x cr. lp, then whatever link( cr. mk, cr. mp, or cr. hp ), then the fireball. This will also make your combos do more damage, cause the more powerful link and fireball will have less damage scaling.

Another thing, I would start out the combo with an cr. lk, instead of doing all cr. lp's at first. That way, if the opponent isn't blocking low, they will be hit with the cr. lk, and then eat the rest of the combo.

So here's how the combos would look:

cr. lk > cr. lp > cr. hp > fireball
(use this one if you're still very close to the opponent after the cr. lk and cr. lp, so you KNOW that the cr. hp will be within range to hit)

cr. lk > cr. lp > cr. mp > fireball
(use this one if you're a little farther back, not as damaging as cr. hp, but still easier to link than cr. mk)

cr. lk > cr. lp > cr. mk > fireball
(use this one when you get pushed pretty far back from the opponent by the cr. lk and cr. mp, and you don't know if cr. mp is going to be in range to hit, very hard link so avoid unless you're pushed back kinda far. )

***Just practice in training mode to see at what range what link can be used. A lot of the time I get lazy and play brainlessly and just use cr. mk no matter what the range, but that's not playing smart! Use whichever link is the most advantageous!

Now for the sweep combo:

cr. lk > cr. lp > st. lp > sweep
( I'd still keep 3 light attacks in this combo instead of 2, because this is one you'd want to hit confirm. If you notice them blocking the 3 light attacks DO NOT do the sweep, instead link into cr. mk > fireball. If you end with a sweep a lot of the characters in the game can easily punish you, cause Ryu has a TON of recovery time on his sweep. His sweep, and his cr. hp are some of the slowest recovering hard attacks in the game. )

For the first 3 combos involving a link into fireball I cut out 1 light attack because there is no need to hit confirm. If the opponent blocks the combo he cannot punish you unless you mistime the link. For other combos where the last hit is a highly punishable move, such as a dragon punch, hurricane kick, or sweep, you want to make sure the combo is actually hitting and not being blocked. If they block the first couple light attacks and you still finish off with a highly punishable move, a good opponent will hurt you very badly, possibly with their ultra. 3 light attacks will give you a lot of time to recognize if the combo is hitting or being blocked. As you get better at combos, and hit confirming, you will probably get to the point where you only need the time alotted by 2 light attacks in order to hit confirm. This is preferable because of damage scaling as I mentioned above.

Hopefully this is not too redundant/retarded/obvious.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Corky said:
oh by all means this I realize, picking Balrog and doing NOTHING but downback + fierce nets me a winrate of like 99% against random scrubs. But thats not the game I want to play, which in turn makes me to try stuff out which in turn makes me eat random ultras which makes me wanna break the game....

You're not going to get that game vs that quality of opponent. Choose the low-sodium diet, beat them hard, and maybe they'll stop doing it (most likely not though)

Yoshichan

Wow, Balrogs trials were EXTREMELY fun to do :)

Joekage said:

SF IV at its best! never change.

Yoshichan

And what's the fucking trick for Chun Li trial 16?

Jump HK
HK
Ex Kicks
EX spinning bird

HK and then combo Ex Kicks is insanely random, what's the trick?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Yoshichan said:
And what's the fucking trick for Chun Li trial 16?

Jump HK
HK
Ex Kicks
EX spinning bird

HK and then combo Ex Kicks is insanely random, what's the trick?

Do you let EX LL hit twice? Because that's what gives you enough time to charge EX SBK.

What I did was after the jump HK was piano x 3 with my pinky hitting HK first. Then hit down as soon as the st.HK comes out. But don't stop pianoing until the EX LL do that second delayed hit.

Yoshichan

140.85 said:
Do you let EX LL hit twice? Because that's what gives you enough time to charge EX SBK.

What I did was after the jump HK was piano x 3 with my pinky hitting HK first. Then hit down as soon as the st.HK comes out. But don't stop pianoing until the EX LL do that second delayed hit.
I knew there'd be a trick to it! Thanks a lot bro, pianoing worked GREAT! First try.

Yoshichan

How about trial 19 :lol ? I'm totally clueless...

medium spinning bird
then super?!

What?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yoshichan said:
How about trial 19 :lol ? I'm totally clueless...

medium spinning bird
then super?!

What?

Everyone has insane trouble with this. It's extremely EXTREMELY strict. You need to listen for the hits. When the sound PRIOR to the last one sounds do the super motion. It's a bitch, and pulling it in fight is even worse. I've lost rounds because of missing that shit =P

dragonballjoseph said:

Favorite parts:

@ 1:12:

"He only has to watch out for the... OH fuck, watch out for the counter"

@ 2:01

Completely corner fucked. I love how aggressive he plays.

@6:46

Dead silence entire round as the commentators watch with disbelief, until Justin says "oh my god" after the stun.

Absolute perfection trophy.

Why does this video have the vibe of like a really good WWF pay per view from the late 90's? Like seriously why do I feel like I just watched Shawn Micheals win his first WWF championship at Wrestlemania 12 in 1996?

Absolute perfection trophy unlocked.

Too much awesome in one video.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Are you able to do everything up to the super?

If I remember correctly that one was a situation where you had get the timing just right through trial and error (at least for me). I kept trying it until I was able to find the EX SBK recovery frame that allows the next input.

Start charging when she starts the SBK animation. From there it's kinda trial and error to find the window where you can do the super motion and release (negative edge) the MK and it will accept it. You'll know you got it if the super animation start and Dan is still wincing. :lol

Yoshichan

Relix said:
Everyone has insane trouble with this. It's extremely EXTREMELY strict. You need to listen for the hits. When the sound PRIOR to the last one sounds do the super motion. It's a bitch, and pulling it in fight is even worse. I've lost rounds because of missing that shit =P
Got it ! :lol What a funny trial!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Arpharmd B said:
Favorite parts:

Dead silence entire round as the commentators watch with disbelief, until Justin says "oh my god" after the stun.

Why does this video have the vibe of like a really good WWF pay per view from the late 90's? Like seriously why do I feel like I just watched Shawn Micheals win his first WWF championship at Wrestlemania 12 in 1996?

I love Jwong getting REALLY excited when Sanford wins the first round as Sagat.

Yoshichan

Augemitbutter said:
where are you anyway? i though you wanted to play me on PSN!
Shit, sorry man! I keep forgetting everyone I get PSNs from ;_; Sooo busy in practice mode lately...

Yoshichan

Augemitbutter said:
heh, no problem. i'm not abandoning the game anytime soon.
Hmm wanna play some right now? I gave up on Chun 21 :lol I forgot, do you live in Europe?

I've learned to time her super after medium SBK with audio cues. I think when she gets to the 'i' in kick, that's when you start doing the super. Been a while since I've done it though.

Yoshichan

Augemitbutter said:
yes and i even send you a pm some days ago. can you access it?
Yep! Gotcha, adding you right now!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Arpharmd B said:
Favorite parts:

I watched this live and I don't remember seeing the Absolute Perfection trophy being unlocked, I guess they cut away to him and Sanford and never cut back in the live stream - that just made an incredible moment even more, er, incredible - shit man!

I can understand why he does so well with Fei on pad, I've been playing Fei Long since SF4, but it is an absolute bitch to get Rekkas out, much less combo into each other on a square gate while it's as easy as cake on a d-pad...

I still play him here as Kato Fei in purple for Super as well, so hopefully no one accuses me as the type to bandwagon, as I've never been that type at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom