• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Microsoft is the new Nintendo.

Nintendo is the old Nintendo.

I think I'm gonna like watching this unfold.

Alx

TTP said:
Doesn't the Yoga thing require to sit down during some exercises? How does that work? I don't recall.

Now that I think about it, there is also a video of Ricochet with a player kneeling to the ground, and he was correctly tracked.
I guess that the problem with sitting people is not their position per se, but the fact that they are surrounded by other objects. For a dancing / fitness game, you're the only object close to the camera, but if you're in your couch, the software has to distinguish you from the furniture.

Flyguy

I've long held out hope that Natal/Kinetic would pleasantly surprise people, but if these rumors are true--$149 and you have to stand the whole fucking time--coupled with the lackluster games they've shown for it, this thing will be an abysmal failure.

TheOddOne

professor_t said:
That's just about the only silver lining for me -- this will be such an unqualified disaster that MS will abandon it for the next generation of consoles.

I still don't see the funny, though.

Fake edit: Come to think of it, how many of you have played the Wii with bona fide casuals? I have -- quite a bit -- and all of them, every single one, for every single second, have stood while playing. It's not a defense -- I'm so bummed out by this Kinect bullshit -- just an observation.
But you can still play it from your couch, feels weird though.

womfalcs3

Banned
IGN article:"The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat."

But all you need for that is a microphone. You don't need Kinect.

And it seems much faster to use the controller anyway. When I thought about menu navigation, I thought you could use the standard GUI and just wave through the options. Once you've reached the desired option, you could just move your hand as if you're pushing it (like a big button). I didn't think you had a separate interface specific to Kinect where you have to place and keep your hand on the desired option for a certain period of time. The controller is faster than that.

Vinci

Danish
Scalemail Ted said:
even if it isn't a bullshot video .... looks like he's sitting in a low back office share where his edge detection would be completely be possible!

MS should sell the chair in a bundle with Kinect. Call it "Kinect: Sitting Edition."

Medalion

Banned
Dacvak said:
Microsoft is the new Nintendo.

Nintendo is the old Nintendo.

I think I'm gonna like watching this unfold.
If Microsoft is the new Nintendo, that would imply the Kinect would be selling like fucking hotcakes for years.

Guys, it doesn't matter if it works while people are kneeling or sitting sometimes in certain positions or chairs. If it doesn't work with every common method of lounging in one's living room the point is moot.

thefro said:
Considering everyone's couch could be shaped or colored differently (and you have recliners, various folding chairs, beanbags, etc), with different arms, etc it's not an easy AI problem to solve.

Fixing it for one type of chair isn't going to fix it for another.

What you need is some sort of heat sensor or something to help pick out the person from the couch.

The other problem would be people sitting on the couch waiting for their turn to play. I know when playing the Wii with a group of friends, if a game demands you to be up and about there's a rotation of people on furniture. If you're playing a game and Kinectic is picking up the person sitting behind you moving their legs around or picking up a drink, it could really mess up the detection. (I'm assuming anyway)

TheOddOne

Vizion28 said:
More bad news for Microsoft (if true).

There is a video showing that the 360 Slim scratches discs if tilted while playing. I don't know if this is true or not. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on it.

Hopefully it isn't the final model.

Video found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblBGTtMMhY
My advice: never move a electronics device that has a disk drive while its spinning.

Flyguy said:
I've long held out hope that Natal/Kinetic would pleasantly surprise people, but if these rumors are true--$149 and you have to stand the whole fucking time--coupled with the lackluster games they've shown for it, this thing will be an abysmal failure.

Yeah, that's me as well. At the very least I thought it could be a cool remote...

Now the lack of diversity in the game lineup we saw makes sense. You have to be on your fucking feet the whole time.

soldat7

HAL_Laboratory said:
This is most likely the reason Nintendo originally passed on the Natal technology.

Jump to conclusions much?

Vizion28 said:

There is a video showing that the 360 Slim scratches discs if tilted while playing. I don't know if this is true or not. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on it.

It doesn't come with a gyroscope?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
flyinpiranha said:
IGN said it on a blog/write-up and since GAF follows IGN (when it says bad things about things they don't like) it makes it true.

Edge reported devs' concerns on this exact problem - parsing out the player from furniture - a couple of issues ago. It seems entirely believable when you take a moment to think about the challenges involved vs dealing with people standing 'free'.

Again though, said article said that MS was working to fix this.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
TheOddOne said:
My advice: never move a electronics device that has a disk drive while its spinning.

96vukh.jpg

Vizion28 said:

:lol Are you just fishing for shit? What console doesn't scratch disks if you decide to move the thing around while playing?

I mean seriously? Somebody put a youtube video up of that? :lol :lol :lol

Kevin

14czbq8.gif

I honestly expect to see games like first person shooters where you could sit down, play with a controller and maybe use Kinnect to interact with NPC squadmates and other innovative functions like the stuff shown in the Milo demo. However, the stuff shown at E3 was really a big let down for me other then the Star Wars demo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I could swear I was reading a year ago that Ngai Croal was testing Burnout with Natal, saying that he was sitting, the game would 'read' his foot moving forward to accelerate and backwards to break, which he was was holding the air wheel with his hands. I know it was prototype hardware that was likely more complex/expensive than the one they use now, but I don't see why would things change like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man said:
Looking forward to the barstool bundle.
lmfao

"STAY ERECT, STAY KINECT", PUT THAT ON THE BOX :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mama Robotnik said:
Not Barstool. Think Microsoft Kinect™ Supportive Seating Device™. It'll be the Kinect equivalent to the Nintendo Wii Nunchuk.
OMG :lol :lol :lol :lol

hokahey

professor_t said:
That's just about the only silver lining for me -- this will be such an unqualified disaster that MS will abandon it for the next generation of consoles.

I still don't see the funny, though.

Fake edit: Come to think of it, how many of you have played the Wii with bona fide casuals? I have -- quite a bit -- and all of them, every single one, for every single second, have stood while playing. It's not a defense -- I'm so bummed out by this Kinect bullshit -- just an observation.

People usually start by playing it standing when it's their first experience or so. Not sure what your point is. No one will want to always stand, and if true word of mouth will sink this hard.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The writing was on the wall when they shut down FASA, MS Flight Simulator, and Ensemble. Microsoft lost the plot a long time ago. I'm hardly suprised at the disaster Kinect/Natal is.

soldat7

gofreak said:
Edge reported devs' concerns on this exact problem - parsing out the player from furniture - a couple of issues ago. It seems entirely believable when you take a moment to think about the challenges involved vs dealing with people standing 'free'.

Again though, said article said that MS was working to fix this.

I could see this being a problem. And if this 'rumor' is true, it's only one use-case for the device. The primary use case (flailing like a monkey) sounds pretty solid.

It's pretty hilarious reading all the "OMG MS is teh suck!" when none of you were going to buy it prior to this 'rumor' anyways.

LiquidMetal14 said:
"STAY ERECT, STAY KINECT", PUT THAT ON THE BOX

:lol

Vestal

Gold Member
Hmm.. This shouldn't be a hard problem to address. MS could just do a prescan of the play area to determine the immovable objects before hand thus being able to distinguish furniture from people.

Alx

gofreak said:
Actually, the guy in the chair, from a complexity POV is probably one of the easier cases for them to address.

But the lady on the couch? Slumped into a big couch swaddled with another person (or cushion or...)? When you start thinking about that, and realising there isn't infinite precision in the depth data, I think you start to appreciate the potential for problems. The way the woman there is, particularly if the couch was bigger, and if she was slumped a bit more she would just look like a huge blob of noise to the camera I think. And given that there are really infinite possible combinations of setup here, how do you train it to parse out the person? When standing up, people pretty much look the same (just different sizes, which is irrelevant)..but sitting down and with furniture etc. it becomes a whole other problem I think.

That's why I'm always cautious with training-based methods... they do work, but using a bit of model-based reasoning always helps.
For example even if the user is in a position that you cannot recognize, you still have a face detector that should work, and once you have the face, you know that the body is not far. With the depth information, it shouldn't be too hard to find the most probable position of the different limbs.
Old motion-based methods can also be used to filter the 3D background, and remove all the furniture from your depth map.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Based on what I've seen...

It only works standing up.
Nothing between you and the camera (like a coffee table).
Must be in a well lit room

The last two are speculation but we'll see how they pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom