• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Got my VR delivered today (thanks Taco Bell)! Have yet to set it up since I've had a long day so I'll give it a go tomorrow. Having a hard time deciding whether to pick up either Batman or Until Dawn for the time being. Any recommendations?

Got my VR delivered today (thanks Taco Bell)! Have yet to set it up since I've had a long day so I'll give it a go tomorrow. Having a hard time deciding whether to pick up either Batman or Until Dawn for the time being. Any recommendations?
Batman feels like the most well rounded polished experience between the two.

bumpkin

People actually won? Congrats! I expected to hear stories about like what happened with their Vita and PS4 giveaway.

At any rate, I've heard that Batman is one of the best experiences. If you got the Launch bundle with PSVR Worlds, as someone who has never tried any VR before, I was floored by Ocean Descent (Shark Attack) and The London Heist. The platformer game in the Playroom VR is great too (it's a free download).

Sitting closer definitely helps. About 3 feet from the camera in Battlezone. Zero issues. Controller wasn't being tracked but it's not needed in BZ.

I feel the camera is the biggest hurdle for tracking. There are probably better lenses that you can use to track LEDs.

I remember years ago on the PS3 a developer made LED tracking using the PSEye by blocking out all light but the LEDs using a piece of exposed film over the camera. Only the LEDs shown through the scene. Was brilliant.

Kalentan

Maybe it's just me... But Brookhaven Experiment is becoming one of my favorite games on VR. It's just so much fun and can get really intense! :D

Anyone else liking it? :D

Maybe it's just me... But Brookhaven Experiment is becoming one of my favorite games on VR. It's just so much fun and can get really intense! :D

Anyone else liking it? :D

was looking for more impressions but there's not been many. It does review quite well on steam and is quite cheap as well. How "indie" does it look (compared to say Until Dawn?)

was looking for more impressions but there's not been many. It does review quite well on steam and is quite cheap as well. How "indie" does it look (compared to say Until Dawn?)
Steam is based on the Vive though. People are concerned the room scale loses something on PSVR in comparison.

Kalentan

Hm... I mean it sort of does have an indie look to it. Like the models aren't nearly as nice as Rush of Blood...

That being said when the creatures get right up to you, it's still quite a sight. The gameplay is simple but because it relies on your own aiming it becomes quite amazing. Knowing when to use grenades/mines/flares etc and which gun you think is best to use (you can switch guns between waves), and then the additional knowing which enemies to prioritize is key. Even a simple thing like, do you get ammo or health between rounds can determine how things go. (This isn't even to mention Survival mode which uses a currency system you gain per wave and you have to ensure you buy stuff wisely.)

Yeah, it's not the most graphically impressive. But pressing O to turn and then having a huge as monster being there is quite something.

Tried out the REZ demo. The first game where I had zero wow factor. I'm hearing great things but maybe the demos not a good representation.

Pretty indie.

I'm concerned it won't translate particularly well to PSVR just because of what Vive tracking offered. It's not dependent on roomscale, just the ability to turn a full 360 degrees and not lose tracking at any point.

Kalentan

Pretty indie.

I'm concerned it won't translate particularly well to PSVR just because of what Vive tracking offered. It's not dependent on roomscale, just the ability to turn a full 360 degrees and not lose tracking at any point.

All you do is press O on the left controller (or what ever controller is holding the flashlight/knife. To turn around. In practice it actually works fine. You quickly get used to it.

Chris_C

I am returning it, but none the less it's disappointing, because what I've played is really great. I think the issues being as widespread as they are will ultimately hurt the product. Maybe they can solve it, but I feel like if it could've been solved it would've already.

I'm not saying it didn't work for you, I am saying however that there is no consensus fix yet.

I understand your frustration. The system's so close to being just right, but they didn't quite hit the mark on the hardware level, and all the pre-release coverage didn't mention tracking being an issue, so it's a gut punch.

What's even more infuriating is that "PSVR World Wobble" has started to affect me day to day. Occasionally I literally feel as though the world around me wobbles for a brief moment.

I'm hopeful they can sort the issues out though, as returning or swapping my unit isn't an option where I live, and I'm still having too much fun with the base experience.

The whole thing has reminded me that console hardware has always been about being just good enough, and cutting certain corners to hit performance metrics.

EDIT: Brief Thoughts on Waddle Home

I only played the first 5 or 6 levels, but so far it feels very much like a quick port. The graphics are fine, but simple. They lack the charm of something like Wayward Sky. It supports Move controllers, but unlike the Vive version where you can bop penguins on the head or bop boxes to raise and lower them, you simply point and click on the PS4 version. Removal of that tactile act is a disappointment, but what's even more annoying is the fact that even if you use PS Move's, the in-game prompts are all done using a DualShock. It feels like a mobile game released on console and it should probably have been priced at $5 for what it is.

More thoughts on The Assembly

The first time I played this, I played it sitting (I believe that's how the developers intend it to be played), but it's a much better standing experience. You get a better sense of scale and immersion, you can lean in, take a step in either direction. Only issue with this is that it's very easy to lose real-world orientation and forget which way is forward. Not that it matters a great deal since it doesn't support hand-tracking, which in itself is a shame.

Aside from that, the story has started to pick up. It's still a little dry and lacking punch, but it's an interesting adventure tale.

help eliminate questions like does the light from the window muck things up etc. Without getting into games and getting ill.

A light coming from a window would most certainly contribute to a slow constant drift.

Being too far from the camera will as well. If the lights from your moves or headset look like tiny little pinpoints, the track could slip. You'll get best results if you can make out the shapes of the trackers (aka lights) in the camera.

That inverted camera test image they give you should be totally off white (yellow tinged). It's showing you the light in your room. Black is a light source and is bad.

Patterns are bad. This camera sees the move and optical tracking can get confused when the object it's tracking passes over something like this (ask anyone who's a compositor in real life).

Remember, there's no fancy ir stuff here, the pseye actually needs to see these things.

btrboyev

Tried out the REZ demo. The first game where I had zero wow factor. I'm hearing great things but maybe the demos not a good representation.

I agree, it's not a very good VR game, same goes for thumper which is similar in its presentation. To me, neither gives the immersion effect.

Chris_C

A light coming from a window would most certainly contribute to a slow constant drift.

I'm not sure how true this is. Below is a picture of my living room (large windows with light streaming in!), I've only ever had drift in one title (Rigs) during a single play session, when the curtains were drawn. I've played with the curtains open, drawn, lights on at night, off at night, dim lighting and the only time I've had drift was that one time mentioned above.

I do suffer from World Wobble no matter what the lighting conditions are.

To be clear, I'm not saying excessive light doesn't affect tracking, it definitely does, I just don't know for sure that it's the cause of drift based on what I've observed.

Jh47H1o.jpg

Soi-Fong

Onto the semi-finals of the tournament in my season of Rigs! Man, those 2-star pilots are way better. All my teammates are just 1-star so far.

I'm not sure how true this is. Below is a picture of my living room (large windows with light streaming in!), I've only ever had drift in one title (Rigs) during a single play session, when the curtains were drawn. I've played with the curtains open, drawn, lights on at night, off at night, dim lighting and the only time I've had drift was that one time mentioned above.

I do suffer from World Wobble no matter what the lighting conditions are.

To be clear, I'm not saying excessive light doesn't affect tracking, it definitely does, I just don't know for sure that it's the cause of drift based on what I've observed.

When I have the sun beaming it has certainly affected tracking for me. Did back in the day with move controllers as well.

One thing for sure is you're sitting way too far.

Beautiful room btw.

The 4th zone in Tumble is really where you start to get tested, up until that point it's pretty simple. I was getting so into it I was reaching out to stop my towers falling (and subsequently twatting my hand on my desk, ouch).

Does it bother you in Tumble that you cannot stack some blocks then move the stack? so many times I want to place two blocks down at one time especially the plank plus a block or two. In one move. Because what I may want to do is impossible to do one by one but tantalisingly possible by being really quick..

ckohler

My buddy and I just finished a 2 hour session of SportsBar VR. We'll post a video of it on our YouTube channel on Sunday.

Holy crap, it's amazing! It's one thing to experience VR alone and it's anther to be there with your friend and seeing them move and interact with you in the same virtual space. It honestly feels like we just purchased our own bar for $20 that we can play pool at any time we want.

As for the games, Darts doesn't work (throwing in general is weird) well but ski-ball, air hockey and pool are all fantastic. Pool especially is the most fun video game pool I've ever played. Feels pretty damn real. Heck, just putzing around the space looking at things is a game in itself. The virtual people's character models are sorta low quality but the space itself is big with lots of little things to interact with.

As someone who was prone to VR sickness in my first few days of PSVR, I'm feeling pretty good even after two hours. I don't feel sick but I do feel a tightening in my stomach and more than anything my feet are tired for standing for two hours straight. I'm happy I purchased it.

Chris_C

When I have the sun beaming it has certainly affected tracking for me. Did back in the day with move controllers as well.

One thing for sure is you're sitting way too far.

Beautiful room btw.

Thanks!

To be clear, sunlight does affect tracking, but it's never caused drift for me.

Also, it may not look like it, but my sofa is literally 5 feet away from the TV :)

Thanks!

To be clear, sunlight does affect tracking, but it's never caused drift for me.

Also, it may not look like it, but my sofa is literally 5 feet away from the TV :)

Closer the better.

I find Sony's maximum distance recommendation seriously overestimating the capabilities (mostly the resolution) of the camera. The shape of the lights is intentional and a very important thing for the camera to make out.

...and to be honest. Looking at that space I'm seriously surprised you get good tracking at all. Not meant as a slight, but a big bright beautiful room, with busy windows as a backdrop for the trackers like that works against almost all the tech the psvr is based on lol.

My buddy and I just finished a 2 hour session of SportsBar VR.

As someone who was prone to VR sickness in my first few days of PSVR, I'm feeling pretty good even after two hours. I don't feel sick but I do feel a tightening in my stomach and more than anything my feet are tired for standing for two hours straight. I'm happy I purchased it.

I was fine in SportsBarVR until I pressed both big move buttons to reposition my virtual feet, and had to whip off the headset. I couldn't get air hockey to work at all, I tried picking up the paddles. Throwing darts feels pretty good the only problem I have is seeing where they landed.

I spent most of my time stacking chairs, ice boxes and bottles and the pool table and then smashing the bottles with my cue.

I'm getting a hard 45 degree offset in sports bar vr. It's actually really frustrating because since I have to turn I lose sight of the move controllers. I can use HULK MODE to re-orient, but it fairly quickly drifts 45 degrees again. Any suggestions?

farisr

Share button wasn't working for this. If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling them as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

old-new-invert-frontows0d.png

The old camera picks up the brightness of the LEDs better (to the point that it can actually make out the actual individual lights in the set) and in general has a more contrasted view (the contrast part doesn't come across here). The new camera, not only is it taking in a blended view of the lights/LEDs, closer to the way we actually see them in person, but also in general, it's like the brightness in the overall image has been turned up, at the cost of contrast, making the LEDs stand out a little less than they do on the old one (again the contrast part isn't coming across in these images).

Chris_C

Closer the better.

While this is true, getting much closer than 5 feet makes playing standing games impractical given the camera's FOV. I've found 5 feet to be my sweet spot. Literatlly a step further away and I do start to get controller drift (regardless of lighting conditions.)

I find Sony's maximum distance recommendation seriously overestimating the capabilities (mostly the resolution) of the camera. The shape of the lights is intentional and a very important thing for the camera to make out.

I agree. Honestly I hope that they produce a "Pro" version of the camera somewhere down the line. I'd pay $120 for guaranteed rock solid tracking. I can't see this happening though.

...and to be honest. Looking at that space I'm seriously surprised you get good tracking at all. Not meant as a slight, but a big bright beautiful room, with busy windows as a backdrop for the trackers like that works against almost all the tech the psvr is based on lol.

I can understand that, but as I said, generally tracking is fairly good, and an night time the lighting is quite uniform. The issue I've been having is World Wobble, which occurs regardless of lighting conditions, distance to camera and the position of camera.

So I saw someone ages ago on this thread say the IPD setting tends to overestimate your actual IPD. So I was having a play about. My IPD according to the console is about 62mm, close to the default. However playing Driveclub I felt the cockpits were a bit too small and I cemented this viewpoint when I watched a replay sat in the passenger seat. The Asian guy avatar I have just looked too small. I'm pretty short and this guy seemed shorter than me and unnaturally skinny, lol, so I thought the scale is definitely just a bit off for me. So I went and cheated the IPD adjustment and set it to 53mm as a result. Got back into Driveclub and immediately the car felt bigger around me. Perhaps a touch too big and the steering wheel was definitely too big. Adjusted again and this time it came to 59mm (I think) and then back to Driveclub, and wow. Perfect. It just felt right. Did a time trial then went to the replay, and my guy sitting next to me felt about the right size and scale I'd expected.

So.. long story short definitely DEFINITELY go and muck around with IPD settings. Driveclub is a great point of comparison as you can generally tell when the cockpit feels too big or too small. IPD absolutely changes the scale of the VR experiences you have and one scale is more correct for you than anything too big or too small.

To get my settings I did the picture adjustment and found the centre of my pupils, then I moved the cursor three clicks toward the centre of my face (still in the coloured part of my eye, not onto the white yet). I did that three clicks inwards for both eyes and it gave me a much more natural point of view in Driveclub. Also played VR Worlds and the menus just felt a touch more real. The balls in front of me slightly bigger. Yeah it definitely is an important adjustment to get right for you. It's a shame the setting can't be dialled in manually with real time feedback. They could show you a 3D object in front of you that everyone's familiar with (the pad!?) and let you dial in when you think it's the right scale and boom, there's your IPD.

For me, I picked as close to the center of my pupil as possible and then moved each target out one tick from there. The first time I did this I got 59 and it was a huge improvement from the first day I measured and got 53, which was straining my eyes for the two or so days I used it like that.

I went back in and pulled the target out two ticks from the center of my pupil and got the default value of 63, which felt ok but still felt something was off, or malformed. 59 had certainly felt much better, my eyes felt so relaxed at that number.

I went and did the center plus one tick outward on each eye again and this time instead of 59 I got 61, which has been the perfect spot, no eye strain at all and I can see the inherent clarity of everything, just feels the best.

So it took me many days to get to this point of comfort, I truly agree there should be a more direct, manual way to just click through various distances and see which works best for you. Some of those distances are ok to good enough but there is one or maybe two that are perfect. Def mess around with moving the targets around.

If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling it as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

The old camera picks up the brightness of the LEDs better (to the point that it can actually make out the actual individual lights in the set) and in general has a more contrasted view (the contrast part doesn't come across here). The new camera, not only is it taking in a blended view of the lights/LEDs, closer to the way we actually see them in person, but also in general, it's like the brightness in the overall image has been turned up, at the cost of contrast, making the LEDs stand out a little less than they do on the old one (again the contrast part isn't coming across in these images).

don't these pics say the new camera is better? unless you labelled them wrong.

If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling it as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

Nice shots.

New camera creates solid tracking markers, while the old ones are blobby and uneven in tone. I'm honestly shocked there's any difference at all between the two, but this could be a thing.

Things look better to me in the new camera but depending on what the software is looking for, this may be something.

I myself have the old camera and experience minimal issues.

Mezoly

While this is true, getting much closer than 5 feet makes playing standing games impractical given the camera's FOV. I've found 5 feet to be my sweet spot. Literatlly a step further away and I do start to get controller drift (regardless of lighting conditions.)
Which make Job Simulator very wobbly because you need a step further than 5 Feet.

I agree. Honestly I hope that they produce a "Pro" version of the camera somewhere down the line. I'd pay $120 for guaranteed rock solid tracking. I can't see this happening though.

I would buy it today.

I can understand that, but as I said, generally tracking is fairly good, and an night time the lighting is quite uniform. The issue I've been having is World Wobble, which occurs regardless of lighting conditions, distance to camera and the position of camera.
World Wobble is only affected by distance in my experience as well.

Share button wasn't working for this. If I had someone else to help me, I'd have something better, but this is the best I could do on my own (having to use the controller, hold the headset, hold the phone, while angling them as best as I could). The difference is even more apparent than this, but these pics should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
old-new-normal7ysyz.png

I'm confused. You make it sound like the old camera is better but the pics make it look like the new one is better.

Chris_C

Which make Job Simulator very wobbly because you need a step further than 5 Feet.

Absolutely! It's bizarre! At night time when my lighting is even, I noticed that if I stand in the designated Job Simulator circle, the controllers start to drift slightly. Take literally one step forward and the tracking is much more solid. Unfortunately, playing from this distance means you're too close to the desk to do anything really.

Batman has you stand about a foot closer than Job Simulator, and I find the tracking much more robust, despite the fact that there's more jitter on the Move's than when playing JS.

World Wobble is only affected by distance in my experience as well.

Sadly, this isn't the case for me. I've tried everything from 3 feet away to 7 feet. Different times of day, lighting conditions, moved all my furniture out of the room, draped a blanket over the curtains to make the back wall completely even... it just keeps on wobbling!

Very interested to see what the next VR firmware update brings. I imagine (hope) the first few updates will be stability and performance improvements, rather than new features.

Any new tips for people who wear glasses? It's just not comfortable for me yet and everything seems so blurry. When I take off my glasses, the immersion is better and the headset is more comfortable, but everything is then WAY too blurry to enjoy.

How are people with glasses adjusting?

farisr

don't these pics say the new camera is better? unless you labelled them wrong.
Nope, they're labeled correctly. But again, as I said, contrast issue (that's not coming across in these pics) may be the thing that's making a difference for me.
I'm confused. You make it sound like the old camera is better but the pics make it look like the new one is better.
I just took and posted these pics to show that there is a difference for sure between the two cameras, not intended to be pic good enough to analyze and determine which one would be better for tracking. Would've provided better pics, but I had nobody else to help me, was holding the headset and the phone myself, while trying to angle both things to get a decent snap off-screen from a TV.

What I can say is, in person when looking at the screen, the new camera's image is brighter as a whole, and the LEDs end up standing out relatively less compared to the old one, despite a larger area/their intended shapes being shown. The Old one, while not getting the intended shape across, are much more focused and the lights themselves appear brighter where they are picked up, while the rest of the image/environment remains a bit darker (more contrast).

Who knows what the cause is for the old camera working out better for me. All we can say is, that the two cameras, despite being said to be the same internally, are clearly providing different images, and possibly tracking as a result.

ckohler

I was fine in SportsBarVR until I pressed both big move buttons to reposition my virtual feet, and had to whip off the headset. I couldn't get air hockey to work at all, I tried picking up the paddles. Throwing darts feels pretty good the only problem I have is seeing where they landed.

I spent most of my time stacking chairs, ice boxes and bottles and the pool table and then smashing the bottles with my cue.

What I can't understand is that I was expecting the "Hulk motion" to cause me problems but it didn't bother me and I was doing it a lot. Just to be safe, I sometimes closed my eyes while I repositioned using it but towards the end of the two hours I was using it constantly with my eyes opened and it felt comfortable.

I might be going out on a limb here but the trick might have been convincing my brain that doing that motion was rotating the world around me rather than moving me. As long as I thought of it that way, it never bothered me.

Play vomit comet, as a Gaffer called it:

By setting the wheel view to the highest it would go, then lowering it one notch and moving the camera as close to the wheel and back one notch:

No dizzy, no nausea, came in first and I enjoyed the races for the first time since playing it in VR.

Apt101

Play vomit comet, as a Gaffer called it:

By setting the wheel view to the highest it would go, then lowering it one notch and moving the camera as close to the wheel and back one notch:

No dizzy, no nausea, came in first and I enjoyed the races for the first time since playing it in VR.

I'm hesitant to even give that one another try. My head is still a little achy and it was the closest I came to barfing (sans alcohol) since I was six and rode a roller coaster for the first time.

What I can't understand is that I was expecting the "Hulk motion" to cause me problems but it didn't bother me and I was doing it a lot. Just to be safe, I sometimes closed my eyes while I repositioned using it but towards the end of the two hours I was using it constantly with my eyes opened and it felt comfortable.

I might be going out on a limb here but the trick might have been convincing my brain that doing that motion was rotating the world around me rather than moving me. As long as I thought of it that way, it never bothered me.
As soon as I put the headset on I can feel myself overheating, so when using hulking mode just makes things worse. I've tried closing my eyes when moving, but VR nausea is already in play. I also bought a pair of sea bands to see if they help with this nausea, but they have had an absolute ZERO impact on my nausea issues. I'm hoping to get back into it tonight and trying again,but this time with some real people, it is a social game after all.

ckohler

As soon as I put the headset on I can feel myself overheating, so when using hulking mode just makes things worse. I've tried closing my eyes when moving, but VR nausea is already in play. I also bought a pair of sea bands to see if they help with this nausea, but they have had an absolute ZERO impact on my nausea issues. I'm hoping to get back into it tonight and trying again,but this time with some real people, it is a social game after all.

How long have you had the headset? The first few days of VR for me were pretty rough. I felt "off" for hours. However, the more I use it, taking care to play VR titles that are stable and not "intense", it's gotten much better.

Also, is your tracking stable? I made sure my camera arrangement was good so I get solid stability. Any amount of wobbling will quickly cause discomfort but if you have it set up right, PSVR should remain pretty stable and will be comfortable.

Lastly, I recommend taking breaks. Two hours is probably too long for me but I just got so sucked into it (and my friend doesn't suffer VR sickness). If I'd been paying attention, I would have stopped after half an hour for safety. That's why I'm so surprised I don't feel bad right now after two hours of it. Maybe I'm really adjusting to VR.

How long have you had the headset? The first few days of VR for me were pretty rough. I felt "off" for hours. However, the more I use it, taking care to play VR titles that are stable and not "intense", it's gotten much better.

Also, is your tracking stable? I made sure my camera arrangement was good so I get solid stability. Any amount of wobbling will quickly cause discomfort but if you have it set up right, PSVR should remain pretty stable and will be comfortable.

Lastly, I recommend taking breaks. Two hours is probably too long for me but I just got so sucked into it (and my friend doesn't suffer VR sickness). If I'd been paying attention, I would have stopped after half an hour for safety. That's why I'm so surprised I don't feel bad right now after two hours of it. Maybe I'm really adjusting to VR.
I've had my headset since day one...I've tried to use it at least once every day for as long as possible. Sometimes I get 1 hour of VR gaming in, other times I get 10 minutes of VR gaming before I have to whip off the headset and vomit or just go directly to bed. My tracking is solid...I spent a good 30 minutes getting everything positioned correctly and calibrating the headset to my eyes, I have no drift what-so-ever. I'm actually hoping that the PS4 Pro will help my VR experience by speeding up the frame rate making everything smoother.

I've had my headset since day one...I've tried to use it at least once every day for as long as possible. Sometimes I get 1 hour of VR gaming in, other times I get 10 minutes of VR gaming before I have to whip off the headset and vomit or just go directly to bed. My tracking is solid...I spent a good 30 minutes getting everything positioned correctly and calibrating the headset to my eyes, I have no drift what-so-ever. I'm actually hoping that the PS4 Pro will help my VR experience by speeding up the frame rate making everything smoother.

it isn't the frame rate that is making you sick. And it isn't the tracking, by your own admission. You must be susceptible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom