• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Jesus... Just had my first taste of motion sickness with Until Dawn. When the rollercoaster starts picking up pace early on... Made me feel like I was drunk... Head starting spinning! Only game I've had this with so far though, played quite a few different games.

DjRalford

Surprised nobody here is talking about the 50k units sold in Japan figure thats floating around

Guys, i forgot to post earlier, i got in another go of the Rigs demo, and completed the session with no nausea, i even came second with 3 takedowns and 1 goal!

Awesome Awesome game, i might get it at christmas.

btrboyev

Sony just needs to release a new camera with a wider and taller field of view. I think that would help with tracking a ton. Not sure why they didn't try to upgrade the camera for VR.

Shoeless

Well, Here They Lie has made me feel a bit ill. I was fine during the demo, but I was starting to feel nauseous 15 minutes into the full game.

Hopefully, I'll get used to it, otherwise that's £14 down the drain.

When the game tells you to take a break, my advice is to listen to the game and do it.

I got some serious vertigo playing the game the very first time, quit when I was advised to, and then played only one session per day after that. By the end, I was still getting the occasional wooziness or fluttering of the stomach, but it was very slight and infrequent compared to the "WHOAAAAAAA" my brain was giving me on my very first session.

Here They Lie is another one of those games that you can use to either train your VR legs, or just quickly find out you don't have any at all.

I keep on talking myself out of this. WHY? I know I want one, but I don't know about now. Sigh. Maybe more beers and I'll be good.
Honestly, whenever I second guess a decision I've already made, it is always best to stick to that decision. I don't know your circumstances, but you should probably just not get it.

I've thought about it too, but ultimately decided not to get it. I want to see what everyone thinks about it once the hype has died down, and I want to see how the rest of the VR community reacts to it. Ultimately though, I just think PC will have the most robust library of VR experiences. We'all see.

But I love reading everyone's reactions here.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have a gaming PC and just accept the insane cost of always wanting to be at the fore front of tech.

It's getting as bad in the console space when you factor in needing to replace AV receivers, tv's etc

One thing many people forget is how big these companies actually are with very little communication between teams. The most likely explanation is that it was on oversight which is entirely possible as the Pro and PSVR were done by different teams. Or it could simply be the software to support HDR and VR wasn't ready but everything else was good to go. Maybe they couldn't find a solution with the budget. Lots of different reasons really and Sony recently seem to want to be ahead of the curve so are more likely to have a get it out approach.

If it is fixable via a download it will happen as there is likely to be a high crossover between Pro and PSVR users. If not then it should be a hardware solution because it is important.

So I finally got play with the PSVR at my brothers yesterday. Figured I'd throw in my experiences with the thing. Sorry ahead of time for the wall of text!

He decided to buy one and invited me, our sister and her boyfriend over. He just has the demo disc right now but it was a perfect stepping stone. Our sister and her boyfriend were losing their minds over it. They were having so much fun. Her boyfriend basically said he'd buy one when could afford it and was most impressed with EVE Valkryie. Our sister was blown away by everything she was playing. She lost her shit when she was playing Harmonix VR, particularly the dancing puppet stuff and the Job Simulator demo. I've never seen her laugh so hard and have so much fun. Unfortunately, my brother started with Driveclub and got sick almost immediately. He said the "feeling" of being the car was amazing and was impressed with everything until he hit the first turn. His brain just didn't accept it and he got dizzy and had to stop. I then had my turn and well...

Harmonix VR: This was first and it was pretty neat. The first of the demo was pretty meh, but the painting in 3D space part was blowing my mind. It was pretty amazing to do art in this space and be able to look around the object and move in and out to it. So awesome. The dancing puppet stuff had us all in tears laughing, as they could watch both me starting to get into it while making the puppets do stupid shit.

London Heist demo (shooting gallery): Next up and had a fucking blast. The feeling of shooting and reloading was nice and it was really enjoyable. Took about two rounds of the demo to start really doing well. At this point, my brain was really starting to believe was everything. My brain kind of forgot about the headset and the FOV. I was playing seated to start but then I stood up to look over the table and when everything moved naturally in the world I was convinced.

Rush of Blood: This was next. Took some getting used to the reloading of the guns but it's something with little practice I could get used to. Didn't mind this, actually but it was my least favourite out of everything I tried.

Rigs: Stepped it up after London Heist and figured this would be a good test of if I'd get sick or not. Well, I didn't and loved this. Took some getting used to control wise and it was quite busy with everything going on but I got used to it and it was really good. I could see this being the perfect pick up and play game for after work or something. Just a few quick rounds and done. The feeling of being in the cockpit was awesome and being able to look down and see your body was pretty surreal.

Driveclub: This was one I wanted to play a lot, mainly because it would be a good test to see if I would get sick like my brother did and a lot of people here have. Well, I didn't. It didn't bother me at all. It was actually really fun. Easy race, but a good first step. Felt pretty incredible when I was starting to look at my rear view and side mirrors and behind me instead of using a button to look back or swing a stick to move my head. It looks... okay. Doesn't look too bad when you start driving and are moving your head to see where you are and other drivers but when things aren't moving it isn't a looker.

I played a bunch of the other demos, of which Job Simulator was my favourite. That was hilarious and it was nice to be able to move around in the play space a little. I quite enjoyed the software on display.

In terms of the hardware, I'm quite impressed. It feels great with good materials and build quality with good weight. Despite wearing larger eye glasses, it fit quite well over them. Wasn't a perfect seal, but it was better than not being able to use it at all because of glasses so I'm happy about that! The lack of SDE is really, really impressive. It might be there if you really squint for it but it never once was perceptible to me (or anyone else there) during gameplay or anything. I also never encountered drift with the headset. I did have issues with the DS4 tracking when playing Battlezone (kept moving around), but otherwise had no tracking problems at all in any other game. It was a dark room though with absolutely not other light sources sans some indirect light from another room, which was likely very helpful.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with it. The only slight discomfort I felt was a little eye strain, but that's because I just kept going for like three hours and totally disregarded any health warnings, haha. I'll definitely be buying one when I can afford it. Eventually I'd like to get the Vive too, but that is a long way away for me. I'm convinced. All I wanted to do today was play with it again.

Mezoly

Sony just needs to release a new camera with a wider and taller field of view. I think that would help with tracking a ton. Not sure why they didn't try to upgrade the camera for VR.
Or just allow it to work with a second camera to be placed at the back. That way we will get 360 controller tracking and better headset tracking.

Not sure which game it was...but I played through the Rigs, driveclub, and eve demos all together in that order and barfed about 15 minutes after I was done.

They all made me feel a bit weird, but I think driveclub did me in. I went around two corners and had to turn it off. Foolishly jumped on eve right after and did a barrel roll...then promptly turned that off as well lol.

Made it to half time in rigs. May have to try that one again.

somme

My tracking has been absolutely great until this evening. Started playing Tumble and the DS4 kept turning red (in-game) and jittering all over the place. It was low on battery (but charging) could this be the issue?

As I said, everything has been pretty spot-on 'til this evening.

After realizing that I wouldn't be able to use my wheel plus gear shift in DCVR I bought this 5 port USB hub for PS4. It blends in surprisingly well but I wonder if it will still work with the Pro?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Think of VEV as part 'score attack'.

For the in situ stages:

Look for food in caves, grottos, and around spherical pollen grains and diatoms (think of them as "party planets" ;) ) enemies tend to cluster around them too.

Hoard every particle you find as soon as the level starts. Build up as much as you can until your active energy is almost gone, then absorb.

That can give you much more active energy to work with. It lets you speed around looking for those areas I mentioned (caves and pollen grains!) where food appears, and outrun enemies more easily.

Pretty soon you start to anticipate where food is going to appear.

The goal is to amass a cloud of food around you without absorbing it until the very last minute - each additional particle you find adds to the cross linking multiplier, exponentially increasing your potential energy.

The challenge is not only finding food, but avoiding creatures that will steal it from you, or absorb your energy ".

That's as complex as we wanted to get in VR, considering everything going on around you. :)

For the ex Vito stages, food is generally found everywhere, the challenge is you must constantly outrun elements of the cellular immune system (which can devour you whole!)

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Torkith

Should be arriving anytime now... Currently out for delivery!
Gotta make sure I can keep an eye out, forgot to put my buzzer number down.

Hasney

I occasionally login to Sports Bar to throw bottles at people, but playing then actual games isn't very fun between Move and lag.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
LOL.

ZM97unT.gif

farisr

DRIFT ISSUES FINALLY FIXED.

So, trying out the alignment with the left lens that was suggested earlier, it definitely helped. But drifting was still there, at least this time around when I wanted to center a game it actually did center (usually, vr worlds centering was still pretty bad for some reason but could still get it to a decent place by looking to the right). Played a good hour or two.

Then the older version of the camera I had ordered arrived. Kind of hesitated to open it, since I had seemingly at least fixed the not able to center properly issue with the current camera.

After a lot of deliberation, decided it couldn't hurt. HOLY SHIT GUYS, THIS CAMERA IS SO MUCH BETTER. Could see differences even when setting up the tracking. The old camera can actually see/shows on the screen the multiple lights inside the headset's LED strips. The new camera couldn't do that and was basically just showing me a full LED strip (as we see them normally with our eyes).

Went though all the advanced setup like I did for the new camera and started up the same games I was playing earlier. Zero drift. Absolutely zero drift.

Not only that, THE CONTROLLER TRACKING. It's so accurate and smooth now. I thought the jank I was experiencing earlier was normal, but now I'm able to make quick concise movements and the game was picking them up properly rather than randomly turning my hand or stuttering/not interacting with that object I wanted to.

So happy right now.

Gemeanie

Gave in and bought Batman VR yesterday. The opening was really good! I had to look away when Joe Chill talked to me close up because he felt so close it scared me a bit so naturally I looked away too when examining dead bodies in The Morgue lol.

Called it a night after getting stuck at the safe password riddle but definitely look forward to the rest.

georgc

DRIFT ISSUES FINALLY FIXED.

So, trying out the alignment with the left lens that was suggested earlier, it definitely helped. But drifting was still there, at least this time around when I wanted to center a game it actually did center (usually, vr worlds centering was still pretty bad for some reason but could still get it to a decent place by looking to the right). Played a good hour or two.

Then the older version of the camera I had ordered arrived. Kind of hesitated to open it, since I had seemingly at least fixed the not able to center properly issue with the current camera.

After a lot of deliberation, decided it couldn't hurt. HOLY SHIT GUYS, THIS CAMERA IS SO MUCH BETTER. Could see differences even when setting up the tracking. The old camera can actually see/shows on the screen the multiple lights inside the headset's LED strips. The new camera couldn't do that and was basically just showing me a full LED strip (as we see them normally with our eyes).

Went though all the advanced setup like I did for the new camera and started up the same games I was playing earlier. Zero drift. Absolutely zero drift.

Not only that, THE CONTROLLER TRACKING. It's so accurate and smooth now. I thought the jank I was experiencing earlier was normal, but now I'm able to make quick concise movements and the game was picking them up properly rather than randomly turning my hand or stuttering/not interacting with that object I wanted to.

So happy right now.

no other setup differences? can you put together a before and after? just something simple with the share button, cause im in the same boat

Watching Jurassic World really made me want a vr experience set in the jp universe. Imagine being in the explorer when the T-Rex attacks or in the gyro sphere from JW.

So Sony hasn't officially commented on the drifting left thing yet, have they? I've not seen any official word about what this is. After some googling I did find one comment saying that it wasn't present before the day 1 patch (?) Hopefully we get an official word on this soon. There's no way it's just a user error with how consistent and easily it occurs.

farisr

no other setup differences? can you put together a before and after? just something simple with the share button, cause im in the same boat
Yeah, no setup differences, same location, same height, same lens placement. I'll try to see what I can do in regards to capturing the tracking screen differences that I outright observed. But probably won't be able to do so till tomorrow.

Maligna

Banned
Gave in and bought Batman VR yesterday. The opening was really good! I had to look away when Joe Chill talked to me close up because he felt so close it scared me a bit so naturally I looked away too when examining dead bodies in The Morgue lol.

Called it a night after getting stuck at the safe password riddle but definitely look forward to the rest.

I got stuck there too on my first night. Found the solution by accident the next time I played and felt real dumb.

x5pence

Neo Member

I got stuck there for a while but I believe it gave me a hint after a while, after I had thrown everything not nailed down in that morgue.

Spoiler Alert:
Use the crime scene analysis tool on the numbers on the safe

georgc

Yeah, no setup differences, same location, same height, same lens placement. I'll try to see what I can do in regards to capturing the tracking screen differences that I outright observed. But probably won't be able to do so till tomorrow.

hmmmm...might see if a gamestop has a used camera I can test. if you do the before/after can u PM me please?

Edit: Sorry, one more thing if you do get to that before /after can you include a screenshot of what the camera sees? I know its annoying but I have tried everything :(

CyberChulo

Ok. I was playing more Bound in VR and just realized something. All you guys who say they wanted a platformer like the one that came with Playroom should love Bound in VR. It's freaking amazing! There's not punching but there is a lot of platforming and your main character is the size of a real human when you put the camera up close! I truly urge those who like platformers to give this one a try.

Mathieran

Banned
You still do.

I noticed it straight away and figured it was the PU passthrough.

That's disappointing. I'm not very tech savvy and don't really understand what you guys are talking about. Any chance you could make an idiot's guide of how to fix this? More worried about when I get the pro. My setup doesn't allow me to easily switch cables around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom