• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

Yeah, no setup differences, same location, same height, same lens placement. I'll try to see what I can do in regards to capturing the tracking screen differences that I outright observed. But probably won't be able to do so till tomorrow.

Quite surprising that the old camera would actually be superior to the new one.

I haven't had any major drift/jank issues aside from some problems resolved by the power down trick. But, my camera is one of the older models, I bought it at launch with my PS4.

Curious now to see if this is actually going to be a widespread issue. Either your new camera was actually defective, or the new models are actually less powerful than the older models in order to bring manufacturing costs down, like what happened with the original Vita and subsequent revisions. It'll be interesting to see which is which. If more people with drift issues are reporting that they also have the newer cameras, that's going to be a bizarre turn.

Mezoly

Ok. I was playing more Bound in VR and just realized something. All you guys who say they wanted a platformer like the one that came with Playroom should love Bound in VR. It's freaking amazing! There's not punching but there is a lot of platforming and your main character is the size of a real human when you put the camera up close! I truly urge those who like platformers to give this one a try.
I'm waiting for the demo to be released soon to give it a try. I find it hard to judge VR games without demos.

Yeah I need to see before/after with the cameras. If it's indeed the camera I'll get it replaced tomorrow.
I'm using the old camera. It still has drift and tracking issues.

I'd call it placebo, at this point.

The only thing that works to help craziness is a cold boot. Don't put your system in suspend.

Gemeanie

I got stuck there too on my first night. Found the solution by accident the next time I played and felt real dumb.

I got stuck there for a while but I believe it gave me a hint after a while, after I had thrown everything not nailed down in that morgue.

Spoiler Alert:
Use the crime scene analysis tool on the numbers on the safe

And there I was reading notes again and again wondering if the one about cleaner and watch was a hint or something.

I am an incredibly dumb Batman.

Edit: I actually got shot to death at Penguin scene because I didn't notice the guy on the right and turned around to check on Penguin again lol

DjRalford

Quite surprising that the old camera would actually be superior to the new one.

I haven't had any major drift/jank issues aside from some problems resolved by the power down trick. But, my camera is one of the older models, I bought it at launch with my PS4.

Curious now to see if this is actually going to be a widespread issue. Either your new camera was actually defective, or the new models are actually less powerful than the older models in order to bring manufacturing costs down. It'll be interesting to see which is which. If more people with drift issues are reporting that they also have the newer cameras, that's going to be a bizarre turn.

I sometimes have slight drift and im running on a release day camera, although i will say i can have sessions with none, and sessions where it moves upto 45 degrees

rubes7844

Banned
I hate myself

WYt5Wxkl.jpg

Does the full version of Rush of Blood have the option to adjust the angle of your guns? It feels like I have to hold the move controllers a bit too far forward than what would be the "natural" angle for holding a pistol grip.

Does the full version of Rush of Blood have the option to adjust the angle of your guns? It feels like I have to hold the move controllers a bit too far forward than what would be the "natural" angle for holding a pistol grip.

You can calibrate the guns at any given point in the game, if that's what you're asking.

CyberChulo

Why don't you place your hands in the position you want before pressing the calibrate button?

It's probably been said but i feel some games are a bit overpriced. It's not a rant or anything, just an opinion.
I was expecting Headmaster to sit at 9.99 and Job Simulator at 19.99 for example. I guess i'll wait for a sale.

While true, we've also gotten a lot for free.

The real problem is that some games don't really seem like "full price" games.

I will skip Eve in favor of the free Star Wars Battlefront expansion.

Is Rigs worth that much more than Rocket League?

Smidget

I know it's been asked... but at black screens it has like a "fuzz" all around and it's not pure black right? Just want to make sure my setup is fine. Having some issues with drift today for the first time after being good since Thursday night... rebooted cold. Will see if that helps!

Flandy

Does anyone else find that games tend to be off center? I feel like everything is always off center to the left whenever I play something

I sometimes have slight drift and im running on a release day camera, although i will say i can have sessions with none, and sessions where it moves upto 45 degrees
Same.

With the setup never changing between sessions there has to be some kind of a software update that can be done to alleviate some issues. There's always a better way to do X so I'm sure their engineers are reading this thread and the countless others on the internet and working something out.

I'm still 95% in the upside. Like I said earlier, the largest problems seem to stem from Move controllers bringing them to your face in games like Job Sim. That game also has some kind of a soft wall where if you lean too far forward tracking shifts and resets when you move back.

farisr

The only thing that works to help craziness is a cold boot. Don't put your system in suspend.
Yeah, not a placebo for me. There could be minor drift that I didn't observe with the old camera that happens for the average person as well, but the ridiculous drift & tracking issues that I was experiencing did absolutely get fixed with me using this camera. The difference was really obvious to both me, the person who was playing, and my brother who was observing. I only centered Headmaster once at the beginning and didn't touch the controller at all until it was time to turn off the system 20-30 minutes later, whereas with my bundled camera, I was having to recenter after every round or turn my chair to compensate (and this was after doing the optimal setup with the "reduced" drifting). And this wasn't just a one time thing, it was every time, over the last few days. I never had one session with the bundled camera where I didn't have to recenter/calibrate after every round before.

I then proceeded to play the Heist section which had terrific tracking and no wobble whatsoever.

After seeing the difference, I have to chalk this up to manufacturing shortcomings. So it may not necessarily be a "get the old camera to make it work properly", maybe a different new camera would also result in something like this for people experiencing serious issues while having done all the optimizations possible to their setup.

Also, I rarely ever use suspend/resume on my ps4. And haven't done so far the last few months, so the differences I've seen can't be chalked up to a cold boot, because if that was the case, I would've seen them earlier, I've tried anything and everything possible to fix the tracking/drift issues with the bundled camera, and while alleviating the issues to a certain degree, the constant left drift was still present, and the controller tracking (which I thought was supposed to be how it is, until I experienced how it was supposed to be) was actually pretty bad.

And yeah, there's the software aspect as well, like VR Worlds never managing to center quite right, whereas Headmaster has always been terrific in that regards (even when the bad drifting was happening)

So when people say drift left they are referring to the fact you stand @ a 45 degree angle w/r to camera right? That's happening to me in sports nation VR.

Hawk269

I am getting a bit frustrated now with it. I get a lot of issues where the controller in the virtual world starts out straight and no issues and all of a sudden it tilts to the left or right severely. Holding the options button down generally fixes it, but it is happening a lot. Also the headset itself gets off-centered a lot as well. I also had to use a dinning room chair because the distance was causing issues, which it had a little more range.

I finally played the platformer everyone was going on about and holy hell was that impressive. It was a jagged mess and IQ was really bad, but the game itself was pretty amazing, Both me and my wife enjoyed it a lot. They have to make a full platformer with this style of game. I was really impressed. If they can clean up the IQ and make a full game it would be amazing. This little game so far is the most impressive PSVR game I have played so far.

Markew001

I'm using an old camera too and cold boot doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me. Still get some wobble/jitter (although admittedly mainly in Job Sim.)

Spman2099

While true, we've also gotten a lot for free.

The real problem is that some games don't really seem like "full price" games.

I will skip Eve in favor of the free Star Wars Battlefront expansion.

Is Rigs worth that much more than Rocket League?

I think it is a case by case type thing, but the price seems to be about right for most of the games. Hell, some are priced below what I would expect them to be priced at. As an example, I think that Rush of Blood is really well priced. Thumper is also good value for that game. I am surprised (and happy) Rigs wasn't full price, as it has more content than a lot of games that are.

On the other hand, Super Hyper Cube is definitely overpriced. I say that as a person that feels that it is the best game on the system. I say that as a person that plays it daily. I don't regret purchasing it at all, but it shouldn't be so expensive.

Battle Zone is great, but I can't justify purchasing it at the price they are asking.

Everything else seems to be at a reasonable price.

I wish they'd release a tracking utility as a downloadable.

It would show the camera view, show what it interprets as the tracking in wireframe, and let you muck around (without wearing the headset) to experiment.
It could even have a calibration mode where you hold up a white card with some dots, at a measured distance, and it checks if the camera has been dropped or has a manufacturing flaw that is getting in the way of focus or whatever. Basically a sort of geeky tool for giving insight into the tracking equations and real time solution to them. It would really help eliminate questions like does the light from the window muck things up etc. Without getting into games and getting ill.

georgc

Yeah, not a placebo for me. There could be minor drift that I didn't observe with the old camera that happens for the average person as well, but the ridiculous drift & tracking issues that I was experiencing did absolutely get fixed with me using this camera. The difference was really obvious to both me, the person who was playing, and my brother who was observing. I only centered Headmaster once at the beginning and didn't touch the controller at all until it was time to turn off the system 20-30 minutes later, whereas with my bundled camera, I was having to recenter after every round or turn my chair to compensate (and this was after doing the optimal setup with the "reduced" drifting). And this wasn't just a one time thing, it was every time, over the last few days. I never had one session with the bundled camera where I didn't have to recenter/calibrate after every round before.

I then proceeded to play the Heist section which had terrific tracking and no wobble whatsoever.

After seeing the difference, I have to chalk this up to manufacturing shortcomings. So it may not necessarily be a "get the old camera to make it work properly", maybe a different new camera would also result in something like this for people experiencing serious issues while having done all the optimizations possible to their setup.

Also, I rarely ever use suspend/resume on my ps4. And haven't done so far the last few months, so the differences I've seen can't be chalked up to a cold boot, because if that was the case, I would've seen them earlier, I've tried anything and everything possible to fix the tracking/drift issues with the bundled camera, and while alleviating the issues to a certain degree, the constant left drift was still present, and the controller tracking (which I thought was supposed to be how it is, until I experienced how it was supposed to be) was actually pretty bad.

And yeah, there's the software aspect as well, like VR Worlds never managing to center quite right, whereas Headmaster has always been terrific in that regards (even when the bad drifting was happening)

I think what would help us all if we compare what our cameras see both regular and inverted. You said that you noticed a difference between what the camera saw, that right there could be your proof and help everyone out.

DjRalford

Same.

With the setup never changing between sessions there has to be some kind of a software update that can be done to alleviate some issues. There's always a better way to do X so I'm sure their engineers are reading this thread and the countless others on the internet and working something out.

I'm still 95% in the upside. Like I said earlier, the largest problems seem to stem from Move controllers bringing them to your face in games like Job Sim. That game also has some kind of a soft wall where if you lean too far forward tracking shifts and resets when you move back.

Theres one other thing i can think of, what if when turning the console and headset on you have it sat on flat level ground, sometimes i turn it on whilst its flat, other times when its on my head, i wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

Kind of like how you use to have to put Wiimotes on a flat surface to calibrate.

Hell theres so many variables at the moment its a nightmare to ail down

Apt101

I played my first session. First time using VR. It took a lot of adjusting to get things right, but I think I'm just about there.

I popped in the demo disc. The first thing I tried was PS Worlds. I was really impressed. I kept wanting to reach out and grab my surroundings. At one point I had a real sense of movement. I was turning all the way around, taking in my surroundings. It wasn't mind blowing but I understood why most people take to VR immediately.

Next was Battlezones, I think it's called. That was pretty fun. I think it was the most engaging of the games I tried and was what I was really expecting from an early VR experience.

I tried Drivezone but didn't care for it. It kept going haywire with the tracking and where the view was centered, and I couldn't correct it by holding the Options button. I also felt that the resolution is just too low for a racing game. I couldn't make out what was coming up in the distance and was instead relying too heavily on the navigation/GPS thing. It gave me a headache (which I still have).

Wayward sky was really fun, as brief as it was. I liked the hybrid gameplay, and the controls were really responsive.

I launched Allutee, or whatever it's called, but it wasn't immediately apparent what I was supposed to be doing. I also had to take a break from the headache Driveclub gave me so I exited it and took a breather.

Finally I tried Job Simulator. This was fun. The controls worked really well. It was rather immersive despite the simple graphics. I was sad when the demo ended.

I didn't even get a chance to try Batman. I'll save that for my next session. Overall I like it. I wish the resolution was a bit higher, and that the tracking was tighter, but it's good for first gen.

I'm taking into consideration that people are on both ends of the spectrum with both cameras. It's not one or the other, it's both.

If it worked for you that's awesome, but as a developer I look at the entire spectrum. Even though I'm currently not developing for VR I'm taking notes from everyone's experiences.

I played my first session. First time using VR. It took a lot of adjusting to get things right, but I think I'm just about there.

That isn't hard the more you do it. Like an early post says, make sure you don't pull the strap down far at the back of your head. Keep it a little high and make sure the goggles are flat. Move and adjust goggles with the button accordingly.

Maligna

Banned
I know it's been asked... but at black screens it has like a "fuzz" all around and it's not pure black right? Just want to make sure my setup is fine. Having some issues with drift today for the first time after being good since Thursday night... rebooted cold. Will see if that helps!

That's normal.

DjRalford

Aparrantly someone on reddit says they were told by a rep to power surge the PU, and since doing so they've not had any rotational drift.

I'm guessing by power surge they mean literally pull the power lead out the PU whilst its on and wait 5 minutes or so.

Taken from the post
"tl;dr: Try putting your PS4 in Rest Mode, unplug power from the PU (the breakout box) & wait a minute or so before plugging it back in, wake up the PS4 and see whether you're still experiencing drift."

Nags

Banned
Aparrantly someone on reddit says they were told by a rep to power surge the PU, and since doing so they've not had any rotational drift.

I'm guessing by power surge they mean literally pull the power lead out the PU whilst its on and wait 5 minutes or so.

.... nobody do this.

sn00zer

lol

DavidDesu

So I saw someone ages ago on this thread say the IPD setting tends to overestimate your actual IPD. So I was having a play about. My IPD according to the console is about 62mm, close to the default. However playing Driveclub I felt the cockpits were a bit too small and I cemented this viewpoint when I watched a replay sat in the passenger seat. The Asian guy avatar I have just looked too small. I'm pretty short and this guy seemed shorter than me and unnaturally skinny, lol, so I thought the scale is definitely just a bit off for me. So I went and cheated the IPD adjustment and set it to 53mm as a result. Got back into Driveclub and immediately the car felt bigger around me. Perhaps a touch too big and the steering wheel was definitely too big. Adjusted again and this time it came to 59mm (I think) and then back to Driveclub, and wow. Perfect. It just felt right. Did a time trial then went to the replay, and my guy sitting next to me felt about the right size and scale I'd expected.

So.. long story short definitely DEFINITELY go and muck around with IPD settings. Driveclub is a great point of comparison as you can generally tell when the cockpit feels too big or too small. IPD absolutely changes the scale of the VR experiences you have and one scale is more correct for you than anything too big or too small.

To get my settings I did the picture adjustment and found the centre of my pupils, then I moved the cursor three clicks toward the centre of my face (still in the coloured part of my eye, not onto the white yet). I did that three clicks inwards for both eyes and it gave me a much more natural point of view in Driveclub. Also played VR Worlds and the menus just felt a touch more real. The balls in front of me slightly bigger. Yeah it definitely is an important adjustment to get right for you. It's a shame the setting can't be dialled in manually with real time feedback. They could show you a 3D object in front of you that everyone's familiar with (the pad!?) and let you dial in when you think it's the right scale and boom, there's your IPD.

The thing that has vastly improved tracking and drifting issues was to put the camera on a tripod in front of the TV. Above the TV would lead to wobble. Under the TV would lead to drifting. I've seen demos of PSVR and the camera always seemed to be on eye level.

It's a bit shit having the tripod stand there but until Sony maybe pushes a fix I will do it this way.

Well you can use the PSVR as a second screen to play normal PS4 games... But yeah, if i were you, i'd go for a new TV. Sucks though.

Thing keeping it a hard choice is that I do have a 20-25" 1080p back up, the one that broke was a 50" though.

Also the fact that Black Friday is coming up and might have good tv deals.

Naudi

Banned
Anybody have any input on pixel gear? Only like 1 30second clip on YouTube of it that I could find, but looks kinda cool and it's out soon.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The thing that has vastly improved tracking and drifting issues was to put the camera on a tripod in front of the TV. Above the TV would lead to wobble. Under the TV would lead to drifting. I've seen demos of PSVR and the camera always seemed to be on eye level.

It's a bit shit having the tripod stand there but until Sony maybe pushes a fix I will do it this way.

This didn't work for me. Also I have the old camera so to the above fix about swapping out the camera its not as simple as one over the other. This again reminds of the whole move nonsense where there were constantly changing "fixes" that turned out to not really do anything. I'm very disappointed that Sony launched this with such widespread issues.

Mula

Drifting happens In cinema mode too, the front Lights are off in this mode. Are you guys sure It is the camera ?

Soi-Fong

This didn't work for me. Also I have the old camera so to the above fix about swapping out the camera its not as simple as one over the other. This again reminds of the whole move nonsense where there were constantly changing "fixes" that turned out to not really do anything. I'm very disappointed that Sony launched this with such widespread issues.

If the issues are really affecting you, I think you should just return it honestly.

III-V

In cinematic mode it doesn't use the camera.

Drifting happens In cinema mode too, the front Lights are off in this mode. Are you guys sure It is the camera ?

Thats the point, the drifting is occurring most likely from feedback from the HMD sensors, and potentially not the camera, due to the fact it is not tracking during cinematic mode.

EDIT: I find drifting issues not rare, but not common, either. For me, the frequency of occurrence is low enough not to be overly bothered by it.

Thats the point, the drifting is occurring most likely from feedback from the HMD sensors, and potentially not the camera, due to the fact it is not tracking during cinematic mode.

EDIT: I find drifting issues not rare, but not common, either. For me, the frequency of occurrence is low enough not to be overly bothered by it.

Hmm, wonder if it is related to the orientation of the headset at power up?

Sorry that it didn't work for you but it absolutely did for me. I was able to reliably reproduce the issues with the other placements and switching to this solution fixed them. Tracking is still not perfect but nothing that detracts from the experience if I'm not actively looking for issues.

doby

The 4th zone in Tumble is really where you start to get tested, up until that point it's pretty simple. I was getting so into it I was reaching out to stop my towers falling (and subsequently twatting my hand on my desk, ouch).

My Move was jigging about all over the place though which made things a little annoying. Does the power down trick help move tracking too?

Also managed to get on the world leaderboard for the first level of Rush of Blood and it was only my first proper go at concentrating to get a high score, I can better that bitch.

Absolutely. Drifting is caused by the gyro data being interpreted incorrectly, I'm fairly sure it can be fixed or at least minimised with an update.

Jankyness, swimmyness, wobblyness, whatever you want to call it, is caused by the way the software intereperates the led lights in 3D space. If its moving back and forth it seems to be fighting with itself to decide where you actually are, hopefully this is also something which can be refined with an update.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If the issues are really affecting you, I think you should just return it honestly.

I am returning it, but none the less it's disappointing, because what I've played is really great. I think the issues being as widespread as they are will ultimately hurt the product. Maybe they can solve it, but I feel like if it could've been solved it would've already.

Sorry that it didn't work for you but it absolutely did for me. I was able to reliably reproduce the issues with the other placements and switching to this solution fixed them. Tracking is still not perfect but nothing that detracts from the experience if I'm not actively looking for issues.

I'm not saying it didn't work for you, I am saying however that there is no consensus fix yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom