• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Reven

Glocks have never pointed right for me. I think it because of the grip angle they use, however it's less of a problem on their compact to sub compact guns for me.

Reven

So I got my Silencerco Hybrid out of NFA jail last week. Its my first non .22 suppressor and I'm totally in love.

Shot it on my VP9 and a 9mm AR, both were super quite. Also tried it on a HK93 clone which definitely made it hearing safe but was still pretty loud thanks to the supersonic .223. And lastly shot it on a .300 blackout and that was ridiculously quite.

Here's pics of it mounted on the 9mm AR and the .300 black.

RW2n0zmh.jpg

9girp50h.jpg

Think I'm getting a Mossberg 500 with a nice Marinecote finish. I'd get a 590A1 because of its superior build quality, but I'd have to replace the magazine tube. I'd probably mess that up. Lol

So I am installing a free floating rail system. All I hat to say is fuck the gas block pins. They are a BITCH. Fucked one up real bad and need a new gas block at i need to grind out the old pin... UGH.

LiamA

I would rather dremel an existing front sight/gas block than try installing a new one for a float tube. Bleh.

Anyway:
DNZgaNt.jpg

Put a silencerco brake on my 8.5" .300 BLK PDW in anticipation of my pending Omega suppressor. This thing is gonna clear some sinuses.

despire

Getting my (first) AR-15 today! Kinda unbelievable in some regards as they ain't that common around here.

S&W M&P15 here we go. Gonna pick it up later today and hopefully get to the range tomorrow :)

Chorazin

Getting my (first) AR-15 today! Kinda unbelievable in some regards as they ain't that common around here.

S&W M&P15 here we go. Gonna pick it up later today and hopefully get to the range tomorrow :)

Awesome rifle, I'm a huge fan of mine! You can upgrade it easily with some magpul furniture down the road if you're interest.

SO I have a few items I want to sell off (2 AR grips, and a Gas Block .750) Is that OK on this page? I dont want to post it the B/S/T tread since well it may not go over so well there. If not thanks but if cool i will post pics tonight.

NzJBhPW.jpg

Picked this beauty up this morning. DPMS Tactical Precision Rifle.

Nice rifle. Groups great and the recoil was so little. Follow up shots were easy as hell to take.

The only downside of breaking it in this morning was that I wasted a lot of ammo trying to sight it in. I just threw on an old red dot that I had on my Ruger Mini 14. Took a lot of ammo and a lot of frustration before I realized that the wind adjustments on the red dot didn't work. I hadn't used it in a couple of years. At about 10 feet it was off by about 4 inches to the left. At 50 yards we were off by probably 20 feet to the left. Oh well. Thankfully it was fun to shoot but now I've got to look for a red dot a low powered scope.

today i didn't feel safe walking thru the shopping center.

the way people were looking at me was ... totally different ...

what kind of handgun should i buy for personal protection?

today i didn't feel safe walking thru the shopping center.

the way people were looking at me was ... totally different ...

what kind of handgun should i buy for personal protection?

If you're nervous walking through the shopping center, please don't buy a firearm. Nobody's out to get you just because we have a Republican president.

If you're nervous walking through the shopping center, please don't buy a firearm. Nobody's out to get you just because we have a Republican president.

breh

pretty sure i've mentioned this before on PSN/Live

i live in Southwest Georgia

they are indeed out to get me

how about some actual suggestions

isn't that the point of the thread?

breh

People are no different today than they were on Monday. Take a breath.

Find a local firearms instructor and take a basic pistol safety course. If you actually plan on carrying, you'll need to obtain a concealed carry permit as well. Then find a range or shop that will let you rent some different models and find what you're most comfortable with. Ruger makes some really good, inexpensive pistols for concealed carry.

If you actually plan on carrying, you'll need to obtain a concealed carry permit as well.

Chorazin

People are no different today than they were on Monday. Take a breath.

Find a local firearms instructor and take a basic pistol safety course. If you actually plan on carrying, you'll need to obtain a concealed carry permit as well. Then find a range or shop that will let you rent some different models and find what you're most comfortable with. Ruger makes some really good, inexpensive pistols for concealed carry.

If you actually plan on carrying, you'll need to obtain a concealed carry permit as well.

Exactly this. Please, please, PLEASE don't just go buy a gun and carry it around. Please understand that pulling your weapon changes everything. Your life, the life of the person you point it at, and the people around you that may be involved. Every time you carry, you need to look at it and ask yourself "If I carry this today and need to defend myself, can I take a life?" If the answer is no, lock it up and leave it alone. In 99% of personal disputes, pulling it is the nuclear option. There's no going back, you don't point your gun at someone you don't intend to shoot.

As for carrying, you will need your Georgia Weapons License to carry it on your person in public, see below:

I Do Not Have a Georgia Weapons License. What Can I Do?

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?

A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Q: Can I carry in my house?

A: Yes. See above answer.

Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?

A: No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

Exactly this. Please, please, PLEASE don't just go buy a gun and carry it around. Please understand that pulling your weapon changes everything. Your life, the life of the person you point it at, and the people around you that may be involved. Every time you carry, you need to look at it and ask yourself "If I carry this today and need to defend myself, can I take a life?" If the answer is no, lock it up and leave it alone. In 99% of personal disputes, pulling it is the nuclear option. There's no going back, you don't point your gun at someone you don't intend to shoot.

As for carrying, you will need your Georgia Weapons License to carry it on your person in public, see below:

This is all excellent advise. I have carried everyday for 10 years. Only one time did I partially draw on a guy.

Also Trumps gun plan looks good (This is from March) I am all for everything he says. Looks great!

http://reagancoalition.com/articles...or-2nd-amendment-leaves-millions-furious.html

mkenyon

Banned
Long time no chat GunGAF.

So I went to Eastern Montana for a weekend, did some hunting. Never really saw myself as a hunter before, but I think I might be into it. I won't say that I directly enjoyed the kill part, but it was definitely a humbling and incredible experience. I like the stewardship, I like the outdoors, and quite frankly, I like the idea of relatively inexpensive meat for my dogs.

That being said, I'm finally looking to get my first hunting rifle. I'll be doing it mainly in Central Oregon and (Far) Eastern Montana, so no "sit in a stand and wait", definitely going to be trekking quite a bit through hills/forest/BLM stuff, and I likely won't be taking any shots outside of 300ish yards. This has lead me towards a shorter rifle. I've narrowed down the choice to three.

1) CZ 557 Sporter in 6.5x55 Swede.

This is probably the most rational choice. Great round that shoots very flat. Great platform. Only downside is lack of big game ability, but I don't think I'll be doing Elk, or at least anytime soon.

2) Browning BLR in 7mm-08.

Lever guns are just fucking cool. This one has a box magazine. 7mm-08 is almost identical to the 6.5x55, but doesn't shoot quite as flat. I guess I'd be trading off a oh-so-teeny round disadvantage for a more fun platform.

3) Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308

The same kind of crazy that most of us gun folks share is yelling at me, "get the easy to find round!!!" That combined with admiring Jeff Cooper's writing tells me to get the rifle that can do it all.

Also, now that I've moved to Oregon (from Washington), I might go down the SBR rabbit hole.

Long time no chat GunGAF.

So I went to Eastern Montana for a weekend, did some hunting. Never really saw myself as a hunter before, but I think I might be into it. I won't say that I directly enjoyed the kill part, but it was definitely a humbling and incredible experience. I like the stewardship, I like the outdoors, and quite frankly, I like the idea of relatively inexpensive meat for my dogs.

That being said, I'm finally looking to get my first hunting rifle. I'll be doing it mainly in Central Oregon and (Far) Eastern Montana, so no "sit in a stand and wait", definitely going to be trekking quite a bit through hills/forest/BLM stuff, and I likely won't be taking any shots outside of 300ish yards. This has lead me towards a shorter rifle. I've narrowed down the choice to three.

1) CZ 557 Sporter in 6.5x55 Swede.

This is probably the most rational choice. Great round that shoots very flat. Great platform. Only downside is lack of big game ability, but I don't think I'll be doing Elk, or at least anytime soon.

2) Browning BLR in 7mm-08.

Lever guns are just fucking cool. This one has a box magazine. 7mm-08 is almost identical to the 6.5x55, but doesn't shoot quite as flat. I guess I'd be trading off a oh-so-teeny round disadvantage for a more fun platform.

3) Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308

The same kind of crazy that most of us gun folks share is yelling at me, "get the easy to find round!!!" That combined with admiring Jeff Cooper's writing tells me to get the rifle that can do it all.

Also, now that I've moved to Oregon (from Washington), I might go down the SBR rabbit hole.

Did Ruger address the accuracy issues the early Gunsite Scouts had? I'd go with the CZ either way, but I like the idea of that Ruger.

Reven

The Gunsite Scout is awesome and obviously it being .308 is great for ammo availability. Mossberg makes a similar series of rifles called the MVP that may be worth cross shopping with that. I like CZ's but I would only recommend that one if you plan on reloading or can find a local source that stocks a good selection for that round.

Personally for next season I'll be using an SBR'd AR in .300BLK with a suppressor as my deer gun. Its fairly light weight, the suppressor makes taking the shot far more comfortable and I have the option of using subsonic rounds for stuff within ~150-170 yards then using supers if I really need to punch out the range.

Used-ID

breh

Like people have said, pulling a weapon or having one really available is the nuclear option. That said:

First thing you'd want to do is go to multiple gun stores. Hold every gun you possibly can. Get the one that feels "right" in your hand. After you choose a frame you might have a choice of calibers (9mm, .45, .40, .38, 5.7, etc). The 40 and 45 will probably have more recoil. One thing you might want to keep in mind is how quick you can make accurate follow up shots - hence me bringing up recoil.

I personally have several 9mm's and a 5.7 handgun. Both of these allow quick, accurate follow up shots and allow me to keep firing as the 9mm's hold 17+1 while the 5.7 is either 20+1 or 30+1.

Next thing is how do you plan on carrying. I carry mine in a quick-release holster in my man purse - errr I mean my messenger bag - since they are full-size handguns. If you want something for a waist band you'll want something much smaller and lighter. This is when getting one that feels "right" in your hand is very important. My hands are too big for most small handguns.

After you've found the one right for you (don't give a rat's ass what others think about your choice - it's for you not them) practice. Then go practice some more. After that, go practice more. Then go get your carry license, and go practice after that.

Remember, you want to shoot the person coming after you, not the child standing near them.

Reven

To expand on what the previous post said. Getting a gun that fits you and how you dress is really important. Personally I'm a fat guy who's main outfits consist of a plain shirt that goes below the waistband on my jeans and usually a flannel worn over that, so concealment is a lot easier for me than it would be for your typical tight shirt wearing punk rocker for example. I wear a HK VP9 pistol, which most would call full size, as my everyday ccw and it works out great.

I don't like to dress to the gun, I prefer to have a few different guns that way if I'm wearing something less concealing I have the option of a smaller gun. But that's totally up to your personal preference and how much of a "gun nut" you want to be.

LiamA

Got a new SBR project gun. It's very video game relevant:

OVHtniE.jpg

hIHnzRa.jpg

The trigger is super good and has a great reset. The rear sight flips to 150 meters, which seems very optimistic for .32 ACP.

Hey fellas - looking for some insight from you all. I graduate from college in about four weeks and my dad is buying me a gun as my graduation present. Basically anything I want under ~$1,500 or so. I am leaning toward an AR of some sort, but I'm not sure.

I grew up target shooting and while I'm not very good I enjoy it. I have a Remington 12 gauge that I rarely if ever use, and don't really have a handgun I'm really in love with. My dad has a DPMS AR that I enjoy shooting, so I wouldn't mind going with another one of those for myself - unless one of you guys has a different brand that might be more reliable? Haven't had any problems with his, but I figure I might as well ask.

Reven

Really you can't go wrong with any AR15 now a days. It's basically impossible to find an unreliable one. For that money you can definitely build your own or buy a complete rifle. Personally I like Aero Precision's rifles which are right around $1,000.

Do you mean long range type target shooting? Like bench rest shooting? If so, I'd look for anything with at least a 20 inch barrel and free float handguard. Id also consider the caliber and optics Ito your price point.

DPMS makes some awesome bench rest rifles. I have two AR's from them and they have been completely reliable and are extremely accurate.

Piggus

Hey fellas - looking for some insight from you all. I graduate from college in about four weeks and my dad is buying me a gun as my graduation present. Basically anything I want under ~$1,500 or so. I am leaning toward an AR of some sort, but I'm not sure.

I grew up target shooting and while I'm not very good I enjoy it. I have a Remington 12 gauge that I rarely if ever use, and don't really have a handgun I'm really in love with. My dad has a DPMS AR that I enjoy shooting, so I wouldn't mind going with another one of those for myself - unless one of you guys has a different brand that might be more reliable? Haven't had any problems with his, but I figure I might as well ask.

Even my cheap $650 AR is extremely reliable, and all it really needed was a nicer trigger. You say you like target shooting, but what distances are we talking about? If you want to get into long range shooting, the Ruger Precision Rifle is pretty good place to start. But for short and medium range, you can't really beat an AR-15 with a good trigger. I would use a good chunk of that money for ammo. SGAmmo has really good bulk deals with low shipping.

+1 on the trigger. A Geissele trigger on both of my AR's turned them into completely different rifles. So I would budget for that as well. And if you plan on doing a lot of shooting maybe learn to reload. You'll spend far more on good (or even cheap) ammo than you will on the rifle if you shoot regularly at all. Reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot as much as I do.

hey guys, I am planning to buy my first handgun for home protection. I have shot only 3 times a handgun in a indoor range, and I really liked the glock 17, it felt right in my hand.

I have two kids (1 and 4 year old) so I am planning to buy biometric safe. I really liked the vaultek v20i, but it is a bit expensive 250 bucks

https://youtu.be/TVUmFQg4HuA

I have not taken any basic course, but I have a friend that is a veteran and gave me a few tips already. my plan would be to buy the gun and no ammunition, get a few dummy rounds and practice at home how to load, unload, clean the gun. then ,take the gun to the range and practice.

do you guys really think is necessary a basic safety gun course? I am not planning on carrying for now of course. I did watch several videos on YouTube about basic handgun safety

is the glock 17 a good option as first gun? it felt better than the 19 on my hand

hey guys, I am planning to buy my first handgun for home protection. I have shot only 3 times a handgun in a indoor range, and I really liked the glock 17, it felt right in my hand.

I have two kids (1 and 4 year old) so I am planning to buy biometric safe. I really liked the vaultek v20i, but it is a bit expensive 250 bucks

I have not taken any basic course, but I have a friend that is a veteran and gave me a few tips already. my plan would be to buy the gun and no ammunition, get a few dummy rounds and practice at home how to load, unload, clean the gun. then ,take the gun to the range and practice.

do you guys really think is necessary a basic safety gun course? I am not planning on carrying for now of course. I did watch several videos on YouTube about basic handgun safety

is the glock 17 a good option as first gun? it felt better than the 19 on my hand

YES. Safety coursework is essential. You need more than a few tips from a friend. Until you're capable, comfortable, and have a great deal of practice with it, that pistol will be a significant danger in your home to your family. Don't be cheap.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just wanted to fan-out about this new gun, the Desert Tech MDR. Desert Tech is known for their bullpup precision bolt rifles but this is their first advent into semi-auto territory. The bullpup form factor allows for a standard length barrel in a shorter overall package, a la Israel's Tavor. It's unique in that it's easily converted between calibers, it's launching in .223 Wylde, .300 BLK and .308 Win with plans for many more calibers down the line. It's been in development for a while and is projected to come out February 2017. If this thing is half as reliable, accurate and versatile as they claim it is then this has the potential to replace the AR15/M4 standard.

Bonus bang bang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_T7wb4iaQ

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

It has no external weak points!
DO NOT LOOK AT THE USB PORT BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

Are you going to be porting it around? I wouldn't want to keep something like a gun in a portable safe, if someone steals it and uses it to commit a crime there can be repercussions for the owner. If it's in a safe that can be picked up, and thief could theoretically pick it up and take it somewhere where they'd be able to open it at their leisure.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just wanted to fan-out about this new gun, the Desert Tech MDR. Desert Tech is known for their bullpup precision bolt rifles but this is their first advent into semi-auto territory. The bullpup form factor allows for a standard length barrel in a shorter overall package, a la Israel's Tavor. It's unique in that it's easily converted between calibers, it's launching in .223 Wylde, .300 BLK and .308 Win with plans for many more calibers down the line. It's been in development for a while and is projected to come out February 2017. If this thing is half as reliable, accurate and versatile as they claim it is then this has the potential to replace the AR15/M4 standard.

What's with that ejector? Is it something to try to reduce potential hearing damage?

hwalker84

LOL anyone following this knows it ain't coming February. Though my buddy got to shoot a prototype at shot show and said it was sick. Now way am I grabbing a gen 1 from a relatively small manufacturer.

Almost forgot to come back to the thread. Thanks for the responses.

Really you can't go wrong with any AR15 now a days. It's basically impossible to find an unreliable one. For that money you can definitely build your own or buy a complete rifle. Personally I like Aero Precision's rifles which are right around $1,000.

Yeah I figured most manufacturers are doing well currently so I didn't really have a preference. I'll have to look into Aero there. Thanks.

Do you mean long range type target shooting? Like bench rest shooting? If so, I'd look for anything with at least a 20 inch barrel and free float handguard. Id also consider the caliber and optics Ito your price point.

DPMS makes some awesome bench rest rifles. I have two AR's from them and they have been completely reliable and are extremely accurate.

Not necessarily long-long range, but anything from 50-150 yards or so. I'm not a huge enthusiast but I love shooting and while I could definitely stand to get better it's mostly just a fun thing for me to do every other weekend or so in the spring/summer/fall.

Even my cheap $650 AR is extremely reliable, and all it really needed was a nicer trigger. You say you like target shooting, but what distances are we talking about? If you want to get into long range shooting, the Ruger Precision Rifle is pretty good place to start. But for short and medium range, you can't really beat an AR-15 with a good trigger. I would use a good chunk of that money for ammo. SGAmmo has really good bulk deals with low shipping.

Never really thought about doing trigger stuff but yeah that makes a lot of sense. I will definitely look into that.

What's with that ejector? Is it something to try to reduce potential hearing damage?

It spits the casings out frontwards. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the majority of noise comes from the muzzle, where the projectile and all the gasses are exploding out from.

LOL anyone following this knows it ain't coming February. Though my buddy got to shoot a prototype at shot show and said it was sick. Now way am I grabbing a gen 1 from a relatively small manufacturer.

Haha true, "It'll be out soon, guys! Soon!" Might challenge Blizzard for that trademark.

hwalker84

It has no external weak points!
DO NOT LOOK AT THE USB PORT BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

Are you going to be porting it around? I wouldn't want to keep something like a gun in a portable safe, if someone steals it and uses it to commit a crime there can be repercussions for the owner. If it's in a safe that can be picked up, and thief could theoretically pick it up and take it somewhere where they'd be able to open it at their leisure.

The rifle was designed to be fully ambi. That ejector can be moved to both sides. Since it's a bullpup some tend to smack you in the face with their spent casings. This prevents that. It's also removable completely if it malfunctioned.

Reven

Still waiting on my Rugged Obsidian 45.

The ATF really needs to do better about approving forms. The wait is absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully the hearing protection act passes when the new administration takes office. There really is no reason that it should be harder to buy a muffler for my firearms than it is to buy one for my car.

The ATF really needs to do better about approving forms. The wait is absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully the hearing protection act passes when the new administration takes office. There really is no reason that it should be harder to buy a muffler for my firearms than it is to buy one for my car.

I'm all for suppressors, but that's a terrible analogy.

Top Bottom