• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Ghost Hound 16

...feels like stabbing yourself in the eye. Then wondering why your blind.

Fuck i need to watch something else.

Nodame Cantabile 1

It was a lot sillier/wacky than i thought it would be. It was almost complete slapstick and farce. I dunno what to make of it. Loved the hilariously blunt dialogue(I think it was intentional) and stock horror sound effects though.

Birdy Decode 1

Yeah punch that dude.

Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here (Part II)

I mostly enjoyed this, and I'm glad it ended on a positive note, but I'm a bit disappointed by it, and it felt kind of tacked on? Like, I feel a movie wouldn't have even been needed if the series had ended differently and had fleshed some things out. (And if that extra scene wasn't added at the end of the recap movie.)

I guess I feel like the idea behind BtB just didn't quite reach its potential. There are some questions I have, and I was hoping the movie would answer them (at least in more detail). I wanted to know more about the cursed clan, and Akihito's mother and father (the former of which is implied to be God or something? The fuck?) Then there's pink tentacles guy; his motivations for causing all this trouble are incredibly weak.

Anyway, like the series, I love the animation, music, art, characters, and action sequences. The studio put in work and it definitely shows. I just wanted more from it.

--

Ugh, I wish I was better able to articulate my thoughts, but them be the breaks.

Cornbread78

Nodame Cantabile 1

It was a lot sillier/wacky than i thought it would be. It was almost complete slapstick and farce. I dunno what to make of it. Loved the hilariously blunt dialogue(I think it was intentional) and stock horror sound effects though.

Yeah, there is a lot of that, but mixed in with some excellent character developement, great music and subtle relationshio developement. Chiaki is very tsun tsun though..

Baalzebup

Vivid Strike 08

Okay, I totally didn't see that coming despite the way the previous episode ended.
Rinne taking a win from Vivio to clash with Fuuka in the next match was the only way I though this could end, so kudos for that.
Vivio is her mothers daughter for sure. The smashing beatdown at about the 1/3 mark had some really meaty impact to it.

Returning to Sound Euphonium S2 4, while the whole mess surrounding Mizore relies on a morass of nonsensical decisions there is one point in particular which baffles me: How is it possible that Mizore and Nozomi have not spoken or even seen each other for an entire year? Even if Nozomi left the band, she was still in the same school and the same year. Even if they didn't share classes together, they should have still ran into each other around campus at some point. I could almost believe it if both parties were deliberately trying to avoid each other. But while Mizore seems to have been ignoring Nozomi, it's made clear that Nozomi bore Mizore no ill will and still thought the two of them were good friends. In which case this becomes even more bizarre - even if Nozomi never ran into Mizore by coincidence, why wouldn't she have sought out Mizore and spoken to her before now? Nozomi tells Mizore that she didn't tell her she was quitting band because she didn't feel she could ask Mizore to leave with her since Mizore cared about music so much, but this doesn't make any sense either. Nozomi could have simply told Mizore she was leaving without asking Mizore to leave as well. Plus, the whole reason Nozomi left was because she felt the upperclassmen were marginalizing and abusing the people who actually wanted to take music seriously, in which case leaving Mizore to deal with the brunt of that by herself seems like an act of cruelty in itself. Unless Mizore was actually right and Nozomi never did care about her in the first place!

In short, as hard as the production attempts to sell the heaviness of the characters' emotions here, this plot thread is a mess that completely falls apart upon scrutiny. The first season of Sound Euphonium was much better at having meaningful, sensible character drama that is well integrated with the musical setting.

Season 2 of Euphonium is just Stupid High School Drama: The Anime. This last episode with Asuka's mom just elevated that. The show does indeed have great production, and I love the musical performances. But damn if the drama surrounding these characters isn't just so damn petty, to the point that it makes me cringe. I try to overlook it, but it's tough when they keep shoving it down my throat. The emotional intensity of how these characters react to simple problems just annoys me lol.

Vivid Strike 08

Okay, I totally didn't see that coming despite the way the previous episode ended.
Fuuka taking a win from Vivio to clash with Fuuka in the next match was the only way I though this could end, so kudos for that.
Vivio is her mothers daughter for sure. The smashing beatdown at about the 1/3 mark some some really meaty impact to it.
I honestly can't believe Rinne actually lost to Vivio despite her basically crushing Vivio's internal organs and nearly breaking one of her legs. But then I have to remember she is Nanoha and Fate's child so of course she friendshipped the FUCK out of Rinne.

Thud

Nodame Cantabile 1

You're in for a ride. Chiaki is such a wonderful bastard.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary 12

So that was something. Great anime, but what is that ending? I'm confused. How is she back?

Magic my good taste friend. (I've no clue)
Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here (Part II)

I mostly enjoyed this, and I'm glad it ended on a positive note, but I'm a bit disappointed by it, and it felt kind of tacked on? Like, I feel a movie wouldn't have even been needed if the series had ended differently and had fleshed some things out. (And if that extra scene wasn't added at the end of the recap movie.)

I guess I feel like the idea behind BtB just didn't quite reach its potential. There are some questions I have, and I was hoping the movie would answer them (at least in more detail). I wanted to know more about the cursed clan, and Akihito's mother and father (the former of which is implied to be God or something? The fuck?) Then there's pink tentacles guy; his motivations for causing all this trouble are incredibly weak.

Anyway, like the series, I love the animation, music, art, characters, and action sequences. The studio put in work and it definitely shows. I just wanted more from it.

--

Ugh, I wish I was better able to articulate my thoughts, but them be the breaks.

I wouldn't say it was unneeded as the tv series left a good few plot threads dangling but by going into the laughable amnesia plot, most of which is just rehash of tv series, the questions that were left were either unanswered or resolved poorly. From what I understand KyoAni already took plenty of liberties with the source material in the tv show and the movie itself is purely anime original material. Which might explain some issues.

Ghost Hound 16

...feels like stabbing yourself in the eye. Then wondering why your blind.

Fuck i need to watch something else.

Mind very shortly reminding me what these last two eps that pissed were about. Don't think I remember something pissing me off that badly at this stage.

Birdy Decode 1

Yeah punch that dude.

OVA or TV series ?

Euphonium S1 01
Wow Sapphire and Hazuki were an actual characters once.

Baalzebup

I honestly can't believe Rinne actually lost to Vivio despite her basically crushing Vivio's internal organs and nearly breaking one of her legs. But then I have to remember she is Nanoha and Fate's child so of course she friendshipped the FUCK out of Rinne.
Damn right, on both accounts.
I still remain unconvinced that Keijo's popularity is primarily derived from its fanservice. I actually find it unlikely that that aspect is a serious draw for the series, and sure enough, from a fan art and doujin angle the series is basically unrecognized with no backing from those communities. Keijo is really just a simplistic sports anime that mimics aspects of something like sumo wrestling to be easily understandable. Its sexual elements are absurd and clearly connect with the audience for humor more than anything else.
I don't disagree. It certainly feels more absurdest than titillating, the mere presence of women's bodies does not equal fanservice.
Keijo is a sports shounen through and through. Despite the dressing, the fanservice isn't the appeal.
This is how I see Keijo as well. Even the initial pull to check on the series was, for me, borne out of the absurd basic idea. Admittedly I expected it to have move straight titillating fanservice, but vast majority of it is wrapped in that delightful absurdity that makes it less sexy and far more funny. The end result is better for it.
I agree that Keijo!!!!!!!! is a fine sports shonen, but I think people are dismissing the fan service it provides because it is slightly different than normal. It's an ASS show, not a breast show. There's not a ton of those I can think of besides Code Geass season 2.
One can appreciate the derrieres and still consider the majority of the ass-service as absurd as the rest. Wedgie power-ups? A right riot, that one. In Geass, the ass shots were so much more out of place.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree that Keijo!!!!!!!! is a fine sports shonen, but I think people are dismissing the fan service it provides because it is slightly different than normal. It's an ASS show, not a breast show. There's not a ton of those I can think of besides Code Geass season 2.

Pokemon Sun & Moon 02

qYovhzY.jpg
6wpigtj.jpg

This show is half a game where I try and figure out what Pokemon they're talking about when they use the Japanese names. Tamatama is easy but then I look up what the English name of Togedemaru is and its...the same. I don't understand what the logic is behind these name changes or not!

Is the Pokemons name really Kapu Kokeko/Tapu Keko? That actually sounds more like the name of indigenous Hawaiian Gods and not a Pokemon name.

Season 2 of Euphonium is just Stupid High School Drama: The Anime. This last episode with Asuka's mom just elevated that. The show does indeed have great production, and I love the musical performances. But damn if the drama surrounding these characters isn't just so damn petty, to the point that it makes me cringe. I try to overlook it, but it's tough when they keep shoving it down my throat. The emotional intensity of how these characters react to simple problems just annoys me lol.

Mizore's breakdown in episode 4 reminded me of the infamous hysterical crying scene from Ano Hana 11. Thought at least in Ano Hana people had an actual death to be traumatized by!

Oboe was a mistake and nothing but trash.

Actually my problem is not so much with Mizore as it is with everyone else. Mizore overreacted, but I've had similar moments of wondering if a friend hated me because they didn't contact me for some length of time. That's something I can understand. What I can't understand is the actions of all the people around her.

Nozomi, for not bothering to contact Mizore in the first place.
Yuuko, for trying to keep Mizore and Nozomi apart and keep Nozomi in the dark while prolonging Mizore's trauma.
Asuka, for also trying to keep Nozomi in the dark and allegedly wanting to keep her away until after the competition, despite her actions being directly harmful to the musical performance of the band since Mizore apprently couldn't play her solo well until she reconciled with Nozomi.
All the other second-year members of the band, for similar reasons.
Kumiko, who got fired up upon hearing Nozomi's story and promised her she would find the truth from Asuka, then when she did manage to pin down Asuka and get her to share her side of the story doing... absolutely nothing. Brilliant.

If anything, Mizore comes across as the most blameless person in this sordid affair.

javac

A bit old but I thought that this was interesting, these are the winners of the 30th Leeds International Film Festival Audience Award for Best Film, Surprised to see A Silent Voice so high up. I've got a feeling that both Belladonna and The Red Turtle didn't poll so favorably, sad!

RmLV2iO.png

duckroll

fakfpoe jifoeaj heaven earht

wanna kwno who fnded this thing, have rbidege on aamrs to sell hiunm, so prety, aaaaaaaaah, あなたはそこにいますか
ああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああ

wanna kwno who fnded this thing, have rbidege on aamrs to sell hiunm, so prety, aaaaaaaaah, あなたはそこにいますか
ああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああ

Maybe anime has become toxic for Duck...

Jex

A bit old but I thought that this was interesting, these are the winners of the 30th Leeds International Film Festival Audience Award for Best Film, Surprised to see A Silent Voice so high up. I've got a feeling that both Belladonna and The Red Turtle didn't poll so favorably, sad!

RmLV2iO.png

I'm actually not. I felt like the room was really into it!

Did the assimilation already start?

Nozomi, for not bothering to contact Mizore in the first place.
Yuuko, for trying to keep Mizore and Nozomi apart and keep Nozomi in the dark while prolonging Mizore's trauma.
Asuka, for also trying to keep Nozomi in the dark and allegedly wanting to keep her away until after the competition, despite her actions being directly harmful to the musical performance of the band since Mizore apprently couldn't play her solo well until she reconciled with Nozomi.
All the other second-year members of the band, for similar reasons.
Kumiko, who got fired up upon hearing Nozomi's story and promised her she would find the truth from Asuka, then when she did manage to pin down Asuka and get her to share her side of the story doing... absolutely nothing. Brilliant.

If anything, Mizore comes across as the most blameless person in this sordid affair.
This was my problem with the whole arc, it's written and plotted so sloppily that if you don't handwaive it away, you're forced to think less of most of the characters involved even when the writers don't seem to want you to feel that way. Asuka especially comes off terribly.

Magic my good taste friend. (I've no clue)

I wouldn't say it was unneeded as the tv series left a good few plot threads dangling but by going into the laughable amnesia plot, most of which is just rehash of tv series, the questions that were left were either unanswered or resolved poorly. From what I understand KyoAni already took plenty of liberties with the source material in the tv show and the movie itself is purely anime original material. Which might explain some issues.
Ha, yeah, I'm just glad she came back. Would've crushed me if she didn't. They could've come up with a decent explanation, though! :p

When I saw that they were going in the amnesia direction, all I could do was shake my head. I mean, really? That's where they take it? I'm just glad it wrapped up nicely.

Of the sequels this season, although it pains me to say this since the show is drop-dead gorgeous, it is the one that grabs me the least. Haikyuu is up there, followed by Gundam (character investment and all, can't wait to see where the kids go from here) and then Euphonium. Not to say it is the worst show of the season, no way. Just saying that this heavy handed drama about nothing is not getting my attention in a good way. In that sense, so far S1 was a much superior SHOW (capitalized) vs what we are getting now. Sure we have more complex shots, and going by Thoraxes' reviews, a much more detail-attentive production, but ultimately that's all Eupho 2 has been to me. KyoAni eye candy.

Still better than Phantom Worlds tho.

phaze

Actually my problem is not so much with Mizore as it is with everyone else. Mizore overreacted,

That's putting it lightly I think. It's she who created this obsessive relationship with Nozomi and then pulled a ~year long fit for the flimsiest of reasons. As you pointed out the fact that neither of them apparently spoke to each other during that time is absurd but nothing stopped Mizore either from talking to her friend instead of resenting her for not telling her that she quits the band (!!!) I'd have to rewatch these eps to remember more details but I have hard time blaming other people (do they even know the specifics of the situation?)for not wanting to deal with this absurd situation. They couldn't have known that oboe basket case would make up with Nozomi in a flash giver her previous irrational behavior.

pbayne

Mind very shortly reminding me what these last two eps that pissed were about. Don't think I remember something pissing me off that badly at this stage.

OVA or TV series ?

Ghost H:
Miyako channeling a God and Taro goes to apologie to Brewer lady because they needed to fill time to make a 20 minute episode. 15 episodes and no fucking progress on any of the core mysteries. Random plot points seemingly abandoned(tbf there are still 6 episodes lesft but still). Stop introducing new plot points and start resolving the ones you have.

Bird: TV. I guess it's just a reboot of the OVA but i can't really remember much of it tbh (it had a few loose plot threads left dangling too but fuck those i suppose)

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium 2 – Episode 07

Previous S2 Eupho review(s):
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05 Part 1 and Part 2
Episode 06

I ended up making a blog as a unified location for all these Eupho writeups (cause it's hard to keep track of 13 posts for many people), so if you want a single place to check for these posts, or an easy way to refer people to them, they're at https://thoraxes.wordpress.com/
Also a link to the neogaf post with the URLs for all 13 Season 1 episodes is here.

eupho995qrw.png

- Man, look at the detail on that metronome. They wrote in all the divisions, and you can even see the weight that's used to adjust the fulcrum. It feels funny being excited by something like that, but maaaaaaaaan does it look so good.

eupho2p0rjw.png

- Station Concert? Seems like a community performance of sorts. Definitely a high school band program activity if i've ever seen one. I've done holiday parades, festivals, performed in community centers, malls, retirement homes, etc. Really cool that they're going to do a community performance.

- Midori is a liiiiiiittle bit of a fan of Seria, huh? The way she gushes reminds me of how I do the same thing for my favorite ensembles, and even DCI (drum corps) stuff from time to time. Pretty neat that a high school would be selling CDs and blurays. My own high school ensembles (band, jazz band, combos, musicals, etc.) did the same.

- Asuka is stone-faced though. I guess whatever happened near the end of the last episode went through. Wonder what happened? Oh wait... Oh this won't end well at all. I get where Asuka's mom is coming from, but wow is she forceful. You can tell she's not even considering Asuka's feelings.

eupho3asr1d.png

- MY MAN TAKI YEAH YEAH. What an awesome dude. He let her mom get all of that out, took it stone-faced, and stood his ground. He's such an awesome teacher. Seriously. First he whips them into shape, is hard on them but in an encouraging manner, then stands up for his students and what they what? Even to their parents? Seriously, everyone deserves a band director like him.

- What the hell! I mean, I've seen parents get aggressive towards their children regarding clubs/studies/grades, but wow. I don't think I've seen an escalation like that. And the way she didn't give in. Man. Maaaaaaannnnnnnnn. Having friends that were on the receiving end of parents not wanting them to do music, I can say that they people who suffer as a result of that go through some really rough times. It's heartbreaking. They way she took her mom out like that, and the way her mom reacted after were just... jeeze. That was tense.

- Of course anything that happens spreads through the band like wildfire. There are no secrets in band. Reina affirming her beliefs reinforces that she's as strong-willed as ever. You can see that slap really affected Kumiko.

- Reina's observations are on the mark. Good juxtaposition of Asuka's changing stances in the brief flashbacks. What exactly does Asuka want and why? She's just as much as an enigma as Taki.

- I don't know how to feel about this next scene. Like, it feels good to see her back. It feels good to see her not be kind of a jerk for once. That facade she's pulling off feels really painful to watch. Just the churning of my stomach as she forces that bubbly persona doesn't feel good at all.

eupho477pat.png

- If she wants to talk to Natsuki later... Well, that probably only means one thing. Is this going where I think it's going?

- CALL HER OUT ON THAT ONE OF YOU TWO PLEASE. Ahhhhhhhhh, c'mooooooonnn.

- Well, this is no good. Having seen stuff like this happen before (even at a collegiate level, too) it really brings down the morale of everyone. To be in that limbo-mindset as a group is a dreadful period of time.

- Cool to see Natsuki and Nozomi practice together. Defintiely a fun practice technique to get together with another person and play through your parts together. Seeing how your part fits with someone else's is invaluable.

- Wel;, this isn't good. I wonder if Haruka and Kaori can pull something off for their friend.

- Dang, even Taki is a little on edge. It sucks for him, it sucks for the band, and it sucks for Asuka. There are no winners. Though Taki seems considerably less affected than the band, and he's right in that they really can't be slacking off in rehearsal. It's cool that he stays focused.

- Haruka is so good with this speech. She's right, too.

eupho5haqet.png

- I am more than happy with the cosmic mandate that draws Yuko and Natsuki into playful conflict, even in situations like this. It definitely helped lighten the mood.

- Haruka is really stepping up and owning this. It's really cool to see her start to be confidently out in front.

- Woo, gold for marching! More Azusa is always appreciated. The ponytail game is strong in this scene too.

eupho6xipzq.png

- I also like the "uniform" for this performance. It's half the uniform they wore when they marched, but instead of the full clothes, they wear a shirt over it.

- Instruments that are as fun to play as they look: agogo bells. Seriously. It's impossible not to be happy when you play them (and just look at the face of the person playing them!). African percussion pieces are probably some of my favorites when it comes to their beat patterns and usage. Bass drum girl moving to these for this piece is good.

eupho7pmq9c.png

- A brief soprano sax closeup!

- I also like Midori's bass playing.

- That was cool that they featured the solo by having her stand up there. It makes it more fun for the crowd!

- Cymbal girl sees another day to smash some metal together. All is right with the world. This time it's a more vertical crash. Check out the way she holds the straps on them too. Her hands aren't inside them, but rather gripping them tightly with fingers near the base so they can hang a little easier, but still reverberate and have good physical control over them.

eupho8azov8.png

- Horn A (T12) (concert D) is correct with the fingering. Also notice how they lift their instruments up when they play that high note. It's to allow the sound to travel better/louder.

- Haha, how fun! They all get to stand up and dance! Man, this would've been a ton of fun to perform.

- I think that's Knuckle, right? Just a minor thing, but they properly drew the hi-hat on the set closed, which is reflected in the sound.

- Azusa says it best. Haruka is awesome here. For as reserved as Haruka always is, it's really cool to see her go out like that and give a performance like that. It takes a lot of guts to play a solo like that in front of a crowd of that demographic.

eupho1n3r0g.png

- Mamiko ending. Seems she's up next.

That episode was one heck of a ride. From the beginning, to the fallout, and ultimately how people moved on was all handled pretty nicely. Seeing Asuka roll with her situation, or Haruka becoming more dependable and less reserved with a performance like that was really cool. Everyone coming together after what was going on with Asuka was great. The ending with the song gave me the feeling that maybe there are better things to come. That maybe everyone figured out how to get over the Asuka situation in their own way. Either way, it felt like a breath of positivity after the mood from before. Haruka finally standing more on her own felt like something that's been needing to happen for a while now, and i'm glad she went for it.

Slowly we're starting to flesh out some of the other major players, and i'm really excited to see where it all goes next, and how some of these people and their issues play out with the whole cast. It's a likable cast of characters, and I really enjoy seeing them and their stories come together like this. The band dynamic as a social construct is easily enough to have me hooked, but with this cast of characters it feels even more enjoyable than I expected. I really like this group ;_;

And to be honest, i'm looking forward to the moment Asuka finally breaks... If such a thing is possible.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 41

That is a pretty fast travel time between the new worlds. New eye catch. I think that was the most noteworthy thing this episode. Oruba continues to be the only antagonist in this show worth anything.

phaze

Nisekoi S2 08

It's nice that someone finally addressed the fact that the cast of every Mahou Shojou consists of underage exhibitionists. Also - best motivation for a villain ever.

Also Haru is still cancer.

-----

I also tried watching Fafner but it slapped me with Anata wa, soko ni imasu ka ? in the very first 10 seconds so I turned it off. Rewatching the first 5 eps will be a pain I'll only be ready for when I've whittled down my current crop of shows.

Szadek

Mai-HiME - Ep. 15
This was hype as fuck. Best episode so far. I wonder what happened to Mai,though.
The only problem is that the Searrs foundation went down a little too fast.
I guess now they are going to focus on fight First District.

Eumi

Higashida has basically just become a robot at this point. The life's been crushed out of the poor kid.

Also didn't he have a family at one point?

phaze

Ghost H:
Miyako channeling a God and Taro goes to apologie to Brewer lady because they needed to fill time to make a 20 minute episode. 15 episodes and no fucking progress on any of the core mysteries. Random plot points seemingly abandoned(tbf there are still 6 episodes lesft but still). Stop introducing new plot points and start resolving the ones you have.

Bird: TV. I guess it's just a reboot of the OVA but i can't really remember much of it tbh (it had a few loose plot threads left dangling too but fuck those i suppose)

Regarding mysteries in Ghost Hound, from what I remember, I doubt you'll be satiated should you continue I know I wasn't.
----
Have to watch Birdy Ova's myself. TV show was alright.

Has Funimation given an ETA for US screenings of Your Name?
I know they announced it but having just seen it i'd love to see it in theaters again if possible.

Victory gundam 29

3 things

-Katejina is a crazy woman
-That escape episode was the greatest escape sequence for anything gundam related. It made me laught the whole time. We would never see an episode like this these days.
-The V2 is one of the best Gundam design in the whole gundam universe.

After every episode Victory climbs higher and higher in my gundam favorites list. Not one bad episode yet.

Theonik

I like how trejo thinks that I of all people can be trolled, as if I would watch something I didn't want to. Maybe if he had friends he could trust he too would understand the bond the animegaf cabal shares.

Is this bullying?
LetsBeInPainTogether.jpg
On The Nature of Adaptation

Well, I can certainly understand that desire, especially from fans looking to have their favourite material adapted. Still, such corner-cutting feels terribly short sighted because it leaves your series no foundation to build on.

I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about the early parts of FMA:Brotherhood. Yes, most people who watched that series had read the manga and watched the original anime so they didn't need the context. Yet it means that when you explore the work, years down the line, it doesn't stand on it's own because it rests on assumed knowledge that simply wont be there forever.

An older example of this is Tomorrow's Joe 2. This sequel series essentially re-does key parts of the original Tomorrow's Joe at 3x speed and that just isn't enough to set up the characters properl. So you end up needing to watch Tomorrow's Joe and Tomorrow's Joe 2 full the picture even though you go through the same manga material twice.
The problem is the commercial nature of anime makes it difficult to deliver such a product. The producers of this show wish to sell the source material, in doing so they wish to adapt the more popular parts of it. Whether it stands on its own years later or whether a new anime can be made is not considered. You can say it hurts the show and is perhaps shortsighted but such is the nature of anime.

Thud

3-gatsu no Lion 7

Only took about 6 and three quarter episode to teach a few basic shogi rules. This is the major flaw the series has, it's doesn't really give a fuck about explaining shogi.

If I remember correctly Nikaido explains a bit more with kittens and then that's all you ever get. Which is a real shame to throw half your material in the water. Luckily it gets overshadowed later when characters matter more.

I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about the early parts of FMA:Brotherhood. Yes, most people who watched that series had read the manga and watched the original anime so they didn't need the context. Yet it means that when you explore the work, years down the line, it doesn't stand on it's own because it rests on assumed knowledge that simply wont be there forever.

I didn't bother with Brotherhood after Hughes. To me that's the point I like to see handled the best way possible. There's a live action movie coming and I'm probably gonna watch just like I do with all the Death Note adaptions. I enjoy it until the breakdown starts~

TUSR

Banned
Basically his cynicism towards relations and self depreciation is fun and all but he is ultimately a human being with relationships no matter how obscure they are, it hurts the people around him if not him also at a subconscious level. He realizes this and he himself grows tired of it so he asks for their(yuigahama and yukinoshita) help (episode 8) in getting over it and forming something 'genuine' i.e. not with any ulterior motive/superficial. Hikigaya worked towards making Iroha win student council elections when she isn't even capable so it's more or less his responsibility to fix the consequences of her winning so they work together in solving the committee's trashy meetings and make the Christmas event a success.

In the last scene, Yukinoshita much like Hikigaya, has a cynical look at relationships, finally opens up and asks for their help in getting over it too, hinting that she is interested in him but unable to express very well. Yuigahama takes the fall(because she also has feelings for Hikigaya) to make this known but Hikigaya stops her because he himself used to make the same mistake/unnecessary self-sacrifice when helping others. Cliffhanger in many ways but I'm okay with it ending here, I could not bear to see one or the other ending up with Hikigaya.

Oh man, now I'm all mushy thinking about episode 8.

thanks for the reply

this is what I understood was going on, this show really hit home with the awkwardness between groups of friends.

Yui really wants Hiki. :(

Erheller

When is SNAFU Season 3?

When we get Hyouka season 2.

The author has said that he's going to wrap up the series in another volume or two, and right now the anime is caught up with the source material as far as I'm aware. So there won't be a lot of material for a third season, and nobody knows if it's even going to happen. Maybe a movie/OVA?

Nick Creamer did some excellent writeups on Oregairu, if you're interested.
(Up to S2E8)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fea...rd-to-do-my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu/.89238
(Individual S2 episode writeups)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu-too/episodes-1-3/.87266

Cornbread78

Magical Girl Raising Project ep.8
SqDh6UR.jpg

Death, death everywhere! A couple bloody battles and terrible deaths this week. Kinda of sad actually... The "bad" girls are definitely outnumbering the good one at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom